The Continuing Insult To The English Language

On my Dad's side we're Wilson, Clan Gunn, but it's Mums side who have Dupuytrens contracture....They're Sherratts from the Potteries...isn't there a little bit of viking/dane in every Britisher?
Clan Keith here, technically a sept thereof.

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
I neglected to say so, but I was thinking of a 'home telephone' voice. I'm thinking here of my grandmother and to a slightly reduced degree my mother, who could be screaming blue murder at my younger brother and me but still morph immediately into Hyacinth Bucket as she lifted the receiver.

Does yours 'carry over' as it were?
My mother has always been that way. I learned it, mostly. So many of the calls one gets these days are telephone spam, it's hard to keep it going.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
On my Dad's side we're Wilson, Clan Gunn, but it's Mums side who have Dupuytrens contracture....They're Sherratts from the Potteries...isn't there a little bit of viking/dane in every Britisher?
I'm blonde so my ancestors were probably raping and pillaging somehow? ..

My nan (R.I.P.) was from Glasgow, my gran is from Ireland, my mum grew up in Liverpool and I grew up in Birmingham so it's a miracle that I've got no criminal record.

Ogdred Weary

Sooner than expected.
Ah...you'd better come to Australia.

Queen slanders look down on anyone south of them, New South Welshens look down on Victorians....and everyone looks down on the Tasmania's.

West/East antipathy is quite strong In WA for Anything east of their border, and Cousin Jacks (SA) look down on Victorians, who are east of them.

Football codes were given a good shellacing when I was a kid with Aussie Rules known as aerial ping pong, and only played by wet backs and crow eaters (victorians and south australians), and Rugby played only by University toffs.

The Game was known as 'a game designed for thugs played by gentlemen', while rugby league was known as "a game designed by gentlemen but played by thugs.

It's a funny old world isn't it.
When I lived in Oz, a few times Victorians commented that New South Walians were all a bit suspect as they were the descendants of criminals; whereas Victorians were comparatively upstanding, this was said without irony, or, seemingly, any awareness of the way the World works.

Swifty

Ah...you'd better come to Australia.

Queen slanders look down on anyone south of them, New South Welshens look down on Victorians....and everyone looks down on the Tasmania's.

West/East antipathy is quite strong In WA for Anything east of their border, and Cousin Jacks (SA) look down on Victorians, who are east of them.

Football codes were given a good shellacing when I was a kid with Aussie Rules known as aerial ping pong, and only played by wet backs and crow eaters (victorians and south australians), and Rugby played only by University toffs.

The Game was known as 'a game designed for thugs played by gentlemen', while rugby league was known as "a game designed by gentlemen but played by thugs.

It's a funny old world isn't it.
How do us English fare up in Australia these days? .. give it to me straight, I won't be offended, especially as I can't afford the air fair anyway .. the last slur I heard was that we were whinging poms .. do we really tend to complain more than Australians? ..

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
When I lived in Oz, a few times Victorians commented that New South Walians were all a bit suspect as they were the descendants of criminals; whereas Victorians were comparatively upstanding, this was said without irony, or, seemingly, any awareness of the way the World works.
Bless...

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
How do us English fare up in Australia these days? .. give it to me straight, I won't be offended, especially as I can't afford the air fair anyway .. the last slur I heard was that we were whinging poms .. do we really tend to complain more than Australians? ..

To be honest Swifty, the only time we hear about British People is either when they get lost, get bitten by a shark, or think that they can bicycle from Sydney to Perth...

In my village, after 57 years, I'm still a pommy bastard - but you have to have three generations here before you're considered a local.

In the cities, they're too distracted making a quid to live there, to worry. (just imagine living in a 40 year old weatherboard house that's rated as worth $A1.8 million, on $40,000 a year. Rates, Insurance, and loan repayments on a multi million dollar property makes for a surly neighbour.

Swifty

To be honest Swifty, the only time we hear about British People is either when they get lost, get bitten by a shark, or think that they can bicycle from Sydney to Perth...

In my village, after 57 years, I'm still a pommy bastard - but you have to have three generations here before you're considered a local.

In the cities, they're too distracted making a quid to live there, to worry. (just imagine living in a 40 year old weatherboard house that's rated as worth $A1.8 million, on $40,000 a year. Rates, Insurance, and loan repayments on a multi million dollar property makes for a surly neighbour.
It's taken me 13 years to be accepted by the locals of Cromer Mungoman, partly because I've been getting them drunk through bar work and partly because I've been doing local care work and visiting their parents .. there's still a hard core few that still wouldn't spit on me if I was on fire because I'm an outsider but there's nothing I can do about that except smile and keep my head down.

Ogdred Weary

Sooner than expected.
I don't have any time for that "village mentality" bullshit and I'm saying that as someone from a rather inward-looking, small town type place; though, in fairness it was never that bad in my experience.

Clearly I am a Metropolitan Elitist.

INT21

Antediluvian
..Clearly I am a Metropolitan Elitist....

Does that equate to 'Metrosexual' ?

Or is that something different ?

INT21

(small town boy)

Zeke Newbold

Carbon based biped.
Have we mentioned creeping Americanisation yet?
* Movies
* Guys (for both men and women)
* `I guess` (in the sense of `I think` or `I seems to me`)
* `Ass` and `sticking things up your ass`.
* Lunch
* Semester

I was in a British University a year or so back. One of the lecturers had posted a note on their door informing their students of what they would be expected to do during their `vacation`.

I was besides myself with hatred and fury.

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
Have we mentioned creeping Americanisation yet?
Just a teensie little bit...

But we Bringlish speakers (both in the Home Nations, and extended Commonwealth) simply must accept that 'Murrican (ie Universal Standard English, or USE) is the dominant phonotype.

Consequently, there will be legislation passed in The House (after all this Brexit brouhaha is finished) to ensure the full implimentation of faucets, sidewalks, trunks and fannies across all of the FUKC (Former United Kingdom & Commonwealth).

Color may be brought to the cheeks of those who have gotten use to speakin' the Queen's English, but given time theyz sure 2get wit da program.

They'll probably make a movie of it. Tom Cruise will play the part of the Duke Of Edinburgh, Glenn Close as Theresa May, and Kylie Minogue in the part of HM QEII

I was besides myself with hatred and fury
Bilocation, tulpa, or one of these really-cool cardboard standees from a movie foyer (and I said "foye-Rrr", not "foy-ayy"...will this nightmare never end? !-)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member

But we Bringlish speakers (both in the Home Nations, and extended Commonwealth) simply must accept that 'Murrican (ie Universal Standard English, or USE) is the dominant phonotype.
Just as the Protestants accept Catholic Papist Idolatory dominance.

Cochise

Justified & Ancient

Consequently, there will be legislation passed in The House (after all this Brexit brouhaha is finished) to ensure the full implimentation of faucets, sidewalks, trunks and fannies across all of the FUKC (Former United Kingdom & Commonwealth).

Color may be brought to the cheeks of those who have gotten use to speakin' the Queen's English, but given time theyz sure 2get wit da program.

They'll probably make a movie of it. Tom Cruise will play the part of the Duke Of Edinburgh, Glenn Close as Theresa May, and Kylie Minogue in the part of HM QEII

Bilocation, tulpa, or one of these really-cool cardboard standees from a movie foyer (and I said "foye-Rrr", not "foy-ayy"...will this nightmare never end? !-)
On the other hand, 'Fanny Packs' being mentioned in conversation gave my wife many occasions for gratuitous embarrassment of female Americans when we were living in the US. And shocking Americans in general with the true contents of things like black pudding and haggis was not without its amusing moments.

Kryptonite

Stanley Unwin enthusiasty. Deep joy!
I can instantly hear the strong Scandanavian influence in spoken Shetlandic and Orcadian (and in different ways, in both Aberdonian Doric/ Dundee Dundonian
I remember reading (although annoyingly I can't find any link to it now) that when Irishman Brian Kerr was appointed manager of the Faroe Islands national football team, he was surprised to realise that Faroese was similar enough to Irish Gaelic that he could communicate with the locals more easily than he expected.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
*Phew* I read this thread's name and thought someone was having a dig at the Webster Dictionary again.

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
In particular as they would all assume it was other small towns that would get nuked.
Conversely, I think the world would be a great deal better off if the Cities of London and Westminster were nuked with smart devices that limited their effect to those specific boundaries. It's a pity St Pauls would have to go but you can scarcely see it for all the hideous skyscrapers these days. .

Ogdred Weary

Sooner than expected.
Conversely, I think the world would be a great deal better off if the Cities of London and Westminster were nuked with smart devices that limited their effect to those specific boundaries. It's a pity St Pauls would have to go but you can scarcely see it for all the hideous skyscrapers these days. .
You could at least have the decency to take the Home Counties as well.