The Continuing Insult To The English Language

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Conversely, I think the world would be a great deal better off if the Cities of London and Westminster were nuked with smart devices that limited their effect to those specific boundaries. It's a pity St Pauls would have to go but you can scarcely see it for all the hideous skyscrapers these days. .
Considering studies show the demeanour and opinions of Londoners are closest to the Scots in Britain, er, don't do that, I could be next.

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
"I should coco"....nope, sorry, can't process/accept the phrase. It gets stuck somewhere, and, ouch. May just be a Scottish ears thing, but, not really sure how well it travels outwith Lower Englandia.

Probably over-dubbed by BBC Worldwide for PBS exports to the good ole USofA.

I'm fine with most other Mockney slang (apart from "let's give this drum a spin") but this use of 'coco' (outwith clowns or hot chocolate) makes me ill. Not just feel ill, but proper ill ill.

There are, thankfully, few exponents of the phrase here on FMB (I searched, and it's rarely-employed) so, that's fine. You know who you are....I'll name no names*.

So, best not mentioning it at all, really. Yes. That's all fine. Totally-sorted. Just absolutely peachy....

(* sorry @e------t.... ! )

Last edited:

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
"I should coco"....nope, sorry, can't process/accept the phrase. It gets stuck somewhere, and, ouch. May just be a Scottish ears thing, but, not really sure how well it travels outwith Lower Englandia.

Probably over-dubbed by BBC International for PBS exports to the good ole USofA.

I'm fine with most other Mockney slang (apart from "let's give this drum a spin") but this use of 'coco' (outwith clowns or hot chocolate) makes me ill. Not just feel ill, but proper ill ill.

There are, thankfully, few exponents of the phrase here on FMB (I searched, and it's rarely-employed) so, that's fine. You know who you are....I'll name no names*.

So, best not mentioning it at all, really. Yes. That's all fine. Totally-sorted. Just absolutely peachy....

It is at least a genuine Cockney phrase, unlike some of the modern rhyming slang inventions.

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable
Have we mentioned creeping Americanisation yet?
I'm over Quora, but I do recall the single best answer it was my good fortune to encounter viz.
Question: "What can I do in the UK that I cannot do in the USA?"
Answer: "Put your spanners in the boot of your estate car."

Zeke Newbold

Carbon based biped.
I'm over Quora, but I do recall the single best answer it was my good fortune to encounter viz.
Question: "What can I do in the UK that I cannot do in the USA?"
Answer: "Put your spanners in the boot of your estate car."
And we can bum a fag!

I don't want to come across as some sort of stuffy Anti-American stiff though. There are some American language innovations that I positively love. One of these, for example, is the bracketed (not) negation of a previous statement, as at first popularised, I believe by `Wayne's World`. for example: `I really like dico music (NOT!)`

I also quite like the random use of `so` as an intensifier put before verbs or particles: `He's so not into you`.

GNC

King-Sized Canary

Probably over-dubbed by BBC Worldwide for PBS exports to the good ole USofA.

Not a Supergrass fan, then?

Through an unfortunate series of events involving YouTube autoplay and having my hands full (stop it) I accidentally listened to an episode of TVs 'Dragons' Den' in which a trio of likely lads were trying to sell the sour-faced tycoons on a sort of massive safe that one installs outside the house to keep delivered packages from the hands of vagabonds.

Ridiculously - as they were referring to a simple cubic void within this filing-cabinet-without-drawers thing that will accept any parcel that isn't bigger than about 70% of parcels - they boasted that the device, I kid you not, was "courier-agnostic and accepts multiple deliveries".

I'll repeat that for you: "courier-agnostic".

Wankers.

Ermintruder

The whole "Dragon's Den" franchise is (in the main) a conscious self-parody of toxic management styles/terminology and tropes.

I think that this must've been a deliberate piss-take, in the same sort of orbit as "vision technician" being used to name a window-cleaner.

Local Authorities are outstandingly-prone to the use of ridiculous politically-correct job titles. Director of Life Enrichment. Or, another popular proxy for HR, Director of People.

Another favorite is 'Head of Talent'. But there is something sublime about 'Director of Anti-social Behaviour'.

I hate the way the term "form factor" has slipped sideways into far too many locations outwith its original computer hardware platform context. Nothing has a shape, or a design, or a style....instead it has a "form factor". Uggh.

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
they boasted that the device, I kid you not, was "courier-agnostic and accepts multiple deliveries". I'll repeat that for you: "courier-agnostic". Wankers.
Courier-agnostic means it is uncertain about the existence of couriers, not that it doesn't care about which company delivers. They mean "Major Courier Company Compatible". MCCC is a much better acronym too, and I'm not even in love with that as a description. I think we need to stage a violent demonstration outside the houses of these courier agnostic people. You know, smash their windows and chant at them, throw bottles and accuse them of cultural vandalism and so forth, then take the march to the HQ of the Oxford dictionary and demand that the term never make it into any future publication. Stuff like that.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Courier-agnostic means it is uncertain about the existence of couriers, not that it doesn't care about which company delivers. They mean "Major Courier Company Compatible". MCCC is a much better acronym too, and I'm not even in love with that as a description. I think we need to stage a violent demonstration outside the houses of these courier agnostic people. You know, smash their windows and chant at them, throw bottles and accuse them of cultural vandalism and so forth, then take the march to the HQ of the Oxford dictionary and demand that the term never make it into any future publication. Stuff like that.
Good idea! We'll wait and see how you get on before we join in.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
[PEDANTRY]MCCC isn’t an acronym, it’s an initialism.

An acronym is a word, pronounceable in English, made up of the initial letters of other words, e.g laser or scuba.[/PEDANTRY]

maximus otter
I'm never sure what to call FARELF: Far East Land Forces. It's a complete word compounded with an acronym.

AlchoPwn

[PEDANTRY]MCCC isn’t an acronym, it’s an initialism.
An acronym is a word, pronounceable in English, made up of the initial letters of other words, e.g laser or scuba.[/PEDANTRY]
maximus otter
Thanks for the pedantry M.O. my education skipped the difference between initialism and acronyms for some reason.

Ermintruder

I'm never sure what to call FARELF
I know exactly what you're asking, and I'm not sure of the answer yet. But thinking.

The answer to the question you've not really asked is that it's an example of a pre-NATO Allied Formation Short-Form Identifier.

Modern-day US/NATO Joint Force Component Identifiers are so much more Orwellian...like STANAVFORLANT. Or pseudofrench like SACEUR.

AlchoPwn

My favorite acronyms include:
Moro Islamic Liberation Front= MILF. Division Emergency Response Plan=DERP. Biologically Appropriate Real Foods=BARF. Comite Regional Alpes d'Provence= CRAP. Food Assistance Program=FAP. I am also fond of FARC Guerillas.

Last edited:

Ermintruder

It must be a EU (well, EEA) conspiracy regarding dodgy bus company names.

Late last year on Tenerife I discovered that if you were looking for an island bus, it's called (phonetically) a "WahWah Titsa". Yes, really... I tended to rely upon the street-signs.

(The company acronym TITSA is from 'Transportes Interurbanos de Tenerife, S.A'...and the buses themselves are guaguas, Spanish for omnibus)