The Continuing Insult To The English Language

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
It's certainly ugly.

If you are unable to attend a class, please notify us at least four hours in advance.

Unless they are one-on-one classes, I'm not clear what you are supposed to 'cancel'.
i have edited the poster. in context 'a class' means 'the fitness class you have booked at this gym'.

'a class' is not the bit thats annoying me. what you have written, at least four hours in advance, is how i understand it, but thats not what the notice says. it just says, you must cancel four hours before it starts. maybe its me lol.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
STRAW POLL:

How do you normally pronounce the word 'exit' (noun)?
  • a) EKS-zit
  • b) EKS-sit
  • c) EGG-zit
  • d) EGG-sit
  • e) Something else (please specify what).
(I shan't prejudice replies with my own response yet)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
I'm having trouble with the options as listed ... As a result of residual Swedish pronunciation minutiae, I don't "linger" on consonant sounds (to either side of the hyphenation) as illustrated. As such, I find my pronunciation is more "clipped" than suggested in the listed options. Having said that ...

Depending on the situation-specific degree of voicing / expressive intonation I'm likely to say:

EKS-it (softer version, most often used for the verb)
EGZ-it (harder version, most often used for the noun)

... but this is not a rigid differentiation (i.e., I may use either in a given situation).

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
How do you normally pronounce the word 'exit' (noun)?
c) ....but I do sometimes find myself doing a b), ie the EXSit/EGZit toggle, on a similar basis to @EnolaGaia.

And I'd only ever use the word 'exuant' as a stage direction, or if I was very drunk.

Valid to note that 'egress' is frequently getting used in an active verb sense (a contemporary linguistic cross-contamination from eg data networking) as the inverse of 'entrance' rather than 'exit'

Last edited:

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable
I'd only ever use the word 'exuant' as a stage direction, or if I was very drunk.
Oh, dear lord. You have just reminded me of something I had successfully blanked for nearly 30 years, viz. having to go and ask for an exeat in order to have leave from lessons to play sportball. It was the kind of school where they not only made us use the term "exeat", they also taught us sufficient Latin to know it meant "let him leave." Still, it never did me any harm :crazy:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I had heard of an exeat at school, because I went to a grammar school that still taught Latin. I never had an exeat myself.
We needed them one if we were running errands or going to the dentist or leaving the school grounds for any reason during teaching ours.

Not required for sixth-formers.

Ermintruder

You need to make your mind up!
Arguably not, as I isn't an American, innit? Apologies, I shall try to be sensible.

I always felt that words "past" and "passed" are related-but-different in a similar way to the senses that 'spelt' and 'spelled' are (in my mind, at least) differentiable

Surely the past-tense of what a wizard has been doing before lunch is "spelled"?

But I accept that I'm a freak, and it's now almost an illegal act to use license and licence (seperately & correctly). Or 'practice' & 'practise' (which we've periodically allowed out here from its cage to fly around the room, then straight into the oven at Gas Mark 5 for a few hours)

And we should all remember: strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government.

pps Ahh...was it maybe 'exuant stage left sounding an alarum'

Ermintruder

having to go and ask for an exeat
I suspect that you may both have attended St Custards with Peason in the Lower Fourth
2019-09-19 20.19.54.png
(Thank goodness we're discussing exit, and not Brexit. Because that'd almost be politics rather than partisan philology)