The Continuing Insult To The English Language

Graylien

As if!
Reaction score
Nix...!

I understood that We (der Einweltanglosprachenvolk) were averse to using Latinate (or indeed any Johnny Foreigner) plurals on 'loan' words. I thought that the current fashionable argot demanded nothing more nor less than a simple "s" (though, please, dear God, not catastrophically-appended via any single surplus apostrophe)

If I were to refer (certainement dans Bradford or Bannockburn) to sports stadia rather than stadiums, or even write about employment bureaux as opposed to employment bureaus, I might find myself tied to a large copy of Beowulf and dragged through the streets of Norland until I were very verra sorry.

Iff'n it'd still been back late last century, continental et classic pluralisation might've been acceptable. People what speak'n'rite proper now have to do so very quietly, to avoid accusations of being one o'them interlecturals (coarse I is jus jokin lyke lol brb)

'...things proper'

@Krepostnoi, I'm not sure that you'll necessarily be aware of the (almost non self-parody) recalibration of Yoksheer accentualisation, into being nearly a varient version of RP (I exaggerate, but only a bit). The Game Of Thrones effect, and the likely future canonisation of Sean Bean, all conspires to make the tongue of the dales perhaps a dominant spoken style in Bringlish broadcasting and the meedja generally
Um. Oh dear. It's true that regional accents seem to have become the norm in TV dramas. I'm not sure why that is. Obviously plenty of people speak with regional accents, but absolutely a lot of us don't. I used to have a Yorkshire accent, but after I moved to Norfolk it kind of just quietly vanished and I now sound like an old school BBC news reader! I guess cause we didn't have TV when I was a kid, and I listened to an awful lot of Radio 4!

As for the rest of it, you're being appallingly ignorant and snobbish. I have a posh sounding accent, I very rarely swear, and only then by accident, and I do use quite a few polysyllabic words.

No-one working class I chat to on the market, for example, has ever taken the mickey in a nasty way, or asked me to explain what I'm talking about. Yeah, there may be some gentle ribbing, but it's only meant in fun.

I mean, it may be totally different where you live. But if it is, I'm sure you could easily overcome it. No need to get all passive aggressive about it!

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
Reaction score
As for the rest of it, you're being appallingly ignorant and snobbish
I would've gone more with being accidentally-insulting and casually elitist.

I mean, it may be totally different where you live
Scotland is an utterly-different multicase linguistic universe, compared to Norfolk. In every conceivable good & bad way. Some of us (have to? don't need to?... unsure) key-switch maybe hundreds of times a day. It can be a total subconscious minefield.

No need to get all passive aggressive about it!
If my deliberate hyperbole is ever giving that impression here on the forum, I apologise. Be assured that I don't come across that way in person (well, no more so than the standard level we all in society can be guilty of)

All I ever try to do here is exorcise my demons, inform, learn & entertain. And try not to use ten words when none would've been fine (dammit, done it again!)

skinny

Class of 1984
Reaction score
Apostrophe Protection Society closes its doors, announcing that 'the ignorance and laziness present in modern times have won!'
John Richards has dedicated his life to stamping out the misuse of apostrophes.
But at the age of 96 he's calling it a day, admitting it's all become a bit too much.

Mr Richards is closing down the Apostrophe Protection Society, which he founded in 2001 when he retired from a decades-long career as a newspaper reporter and subeditor

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12...on-society-closes-down-john-richards/11756830

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Cheeky! :fslap:

Anyway... Mr Richards is right. On this very board we have posters who don't know the correct uses of 'its' and 'it's', at least one of whom is responsible for the education of children.
Given that two of the three posters that come to mind as teachers do know the difference, and that I am the third, this concerns me!

If I am the guilty party, I assure you that I do also know the difference, but I don't always proof-read my posts.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Given that two of the three posters that come to mind as teachers do know the difference, and that I am the third, this concerns me!

If I am the guilty party, I assure you that I do also know the difference, but I don't always proof-read my posts.
I expect the dog ate your homework too.

skinny

Class of 1984
Reaction score

It just makes me like you more.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

I must add that an old friend from here and elsewhere who likes to post slightly pompous put-downs also makes this mistake, of always using 'it's' and never 'its'. As I love this person dearly I bite my tongue when I see their posts as it's churlish to pick at grammar. Grrrr.

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
Irrespective? without the of? Tsk.

I read a board related to specific history where one of the posting rules is that you will be banned for correcting spelling and grammar.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score

I read a board related to specific history where one of the posting rules is that you will be banned for correcting spelling and grammar.
Are you one of those people who don't like 'Hopefully,...' at the beginning of sentences?

'It is to be hoped...'

I speak Telegraphese when I please.

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score

Back at school I was once canned across the hand (left hand as I was right handed. The teachers always asked) for, I was told, misspelling. I wrote 'sea' and not 'see'. On checking through the piece I discovered that the teacher had taken the sentence out of context, and as I was referring to the sea (ocean) I was actually correct.

But not wishing to feel another lash, I didn't point out her error.

And no, school days were not the best time of my life.

INT21.

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Henry,

I actually wondered about that when I wrote it.

But something about someone not starting a sentence with a capital letter distracted me ;)

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
More Folies Bergère ?

Lb8535

Reaction score
Are you one of those people who don't like 'Hopefully,...' at the beginning of sentences?

'It is to be hoped...'

I speak Telegraphese when I please.
Of course but it's not what I like it's what the language is.

Lb8535

Reaction score
I think you mean "irregardless".

It's a perfectly cromulent word...
When I looked up irrespective before I posted, the next search entry pointed out that irregardless is one of those unneccessary words like firstly (the simpler synonym is first). Regardless means exactly the same thing. Competency is another one. Irrespective may have been created out of wanting to sound like irregardless. I love how language reflects our swamplike thought process.