The Continuing Insult To The English Language

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Indeed.

Odd that it stood for three days before someone decided to kill it.
No. We gave you the opportunity to reconsider, given how overtly tone-deaf it was, in the vain hope that you had developed some self-awareness following discussions we've had. Clearly you haven't, so we did it for you.

Any repetition and the courtesy will not be extended.

Krepostnoi

Viva la Quinta Brigada
You argue the gender is not 'given' or 'specified'. I say that it should have been in this article as it is known.
My favourite example is: "There's someone at the door. They want to speak to you." Nothing wrong with that usage, even though the speaker presumably knows (or is prepared to ascribe) the gender of the caller. Anyway, how many of these here angels do you think could dance on the head of that there pin?

INT21

Antediluvian
No. We gave you the opportunity to reconsider, given how overtly tone-deaf it was, in the vain hope that you had developed some self-awareness following discussions we've had. Clearly you haven't, so we did it for you.

Any repetition and the courtesy will not be extended.
I would suggest that what you call my 'tone deaf' remark actually shows an overactive tendency to political correctness on your part.

However, as this is all rather subjective, and you have the power, then one must comply.

INT21.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Merriam-Webster has designated "they" (used in the singular gender-less sense) as their 2019 word of the year.
Merriam-Webster declares ‘they’ its 2019 word of the year

The language mavens at Merriam-Webster have declared the personal pronoun their word of the year based on a 313% increase in look-ups on the company’s search site, Merriam-Webster.com, this year when compared with 2018.

“I have to say it’s surprising to me,” said Peter Sokolowski, a lexicographer and Merriam-Webster’s editor at large, ahead of Tuesday’s announcement. “It’s a word we all know and love. So many people were talking about this word.”

Sokolowski and his team monitor spikes in searches and “they” got an early start last January with the rise of model Oslo Grace on top fashion runways. The Northern Californian identifies as transgender nonbinary, walking in both men’s and women’s shows around the world.

Another look-up spike occurred in April, when U.S. Rep. Pramila Jayapal, D-Washington, got emotional while talking of her gender-nonconforming child during a House committee hearing as she advocated for LGBTQ rights legislation.

Merriam-Webster recently added a new definition to its online dictionary to reflect use of “they” as relating to a person whose gender identity is nonbinary. In October, the American Psychological Association endorsed “they” as a singular third-person pronoun in its latest style guide for scholarly writing.

“We believe writers should try to use a person’s self-identified pronoun whenever feasible,” said Jasper Simons, chief publishing officer for the APA. “The singular ‘they’ is a way for writers to avoid making assumptions about gender when it is not known.”

The American Dialect Society, which is dedicated to the study of the English language in North America, named “they” its word of the year for 2015, in recognition of its emergence among people who reject “he” and “she.” ...
SOURCE: https://apnews.com/0b88fde3eeb023355fc2be0f8955a0b5

INT21

Antediluvian
Merriam-Webster has designated "they" (used in the singular gender-less sense) as their 2019 word of the year.

SOURCE: https://apnews.com/0b88fde3eeb023355fc2be0f8955a0b5
We;
i bet @INT21 has something to say about this
INT21 could report you for deliberate provocation.

But today he is feeling generous. :)

Anyway, Henry, I prefer the word to be used in it's original context.

One does need to use something when one does not know the correct word.

It's a bit like the word 'one' that I use a lot. It shows I am addressing the general company and not a single person/group.

INT21.