The Coventry Cubes

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
How does a magnet pick up lead?
Also wondering about this and maybe it wasn't the magnet.

The article states, "He had been magnet fishing with his two young sons but was able to reach in and pick up the objects, which bear inscriptions set into grids on each side" .

Perhaps indicating he simply noticed them in shallow water?

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Reaction score

Junopsis

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
...I have a great urge to make Hellraiser jokes

Coypu

Um 121 The element of confusion.....298.17
Reaction score
FT 394 Page 27, Mystery cubes found in river . The chap was magnet fishing and pulled out Lead cubes..:thought: Since when has lead become magnetic..:dunno:
Any more of this sloppy reporting and i shall cancel my subscription..:p

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
FT 394 Page 27, Mystery cubes found in river . The chap was magnet fishing and pulled out Lead cubes..:thought: Since when has lead become magnetic..:dunno:
I raised this at the time. Most likely, the cubes were in some container that the magnet caught. Or they were picked up in a net.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
The Cromer Town Council repealed the Laws of Gravity so why not similar stuff in Coventry?

Sid

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I raised this at the time. Most likely, the cubes were in some container that the magnet caught. Or they were picked up in a net.
Is this true? I did wonder about it after reading 'Coypu's' report, and thought to myself ~ well maybe it's possible that a certain amount of iron is embedded within the lead, or, iron in the lead possibly?
However, after looking up the reported stories about how they came to haul out the cubes, along with their reported finds of other bits and pieces that they are supposed to have hauled up using the magnet, they report that it was claimed they had also hauled out after revisiting the sight... ('it' so-say being kept a secret location) that a silver coin was also caught using the magnet!
Just what kind of magnet it? As after I'd looked up the properties of Silver, and then magnetism to Silver, I found that Silver is also NOT attracted to magnetism... the whole thing sounds at best a bit sketchy, and possibly a very cock-eyed tale?

Last edited:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
More recent redundant discussion about the cubes has now been moved into the previously established thread on the subject.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
is magnetic fishing even legal?

I know its not encouraged in canals.

Is a magnetic fish edible?

Coypu

Um 121 The element of confusion.....298.17
Reaction score
is magnetic fishing even legal?

I know its not encouraged in canals.

Is a magnetic fish edible?
Magnet fishing is illegal without the explicit permission of the waters owner, and banned on canals.:dunno: