• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Coventry Cubes

lordmongrove

Justified & Ancient
Weird metal cubes found in Coventry river. https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/n...aHFZMdAyvXF6M7z0SKLBaT8lGz0mM85v6CB-jyAznR1f0

Edit to Add:
A magnet fisherman out with his two young sons at a river in Coventry reeled in almost 60 mysterious cubes thought to show a sacred numerical inscription.
Will Read found the haul of engraved lead squares – believed to be connected to a mystical Hindu prayer ritual – while out sifting through shallow water.
The faces of the objects, small enough to hold between finger and thumb, are set into neat grids with inscriptions thought to be in Sanskrit.
At first, Will, 38, from Finham, thought the cubes were just random pieces of debris littering the bottom of the River Sowe in south Coventry.
But as he and sons Jackson, five, and Benjamin, seven, took a closer look on Friday (May 8), they noticed the detailed inscriptions set onto the faces of the squares.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to this separate (but largely redundant) article updated a day later:
The mystery behind strange cubes pulled out of a Coventry river continues to deepen after those who found them revealed there could be 40 more to find in the city.
The missing cubes, which are believed to be inscribed with a sacred numerical inscription, could be resting at the bottom of the River Sowe in south Coventry.
Will Read discovered an initial haul of 60 lead squares – believed to be connected to a mystical Hindu prayer ritual – while out sifting through shallow water.
The 38-year-old, from Finham, now believes there might be even more to be found.
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/people-searching-40-mystery-cubes-18244024

... the discoverer of the 60 cubes has reason to believe there are 40-odd more of the objects that may be waiting to be found locally.

Last edited:
How does a magnet pick up lead?
Also wondering about this and maybe it wasn't the magnet.

The article states, "He had been magnet fishing with his two young sons but was able to reach in and pick up the objects, which bear inscriptions set into grids on each side" .

Perhaps indicating he simply noticed them in shallow water?

FT 394 Page 27, Mystery cubes found in river . The chap was magnet fishing and pulled out Lead cubes..:thought: Since when has lead become magnetic..:dunno:
Any more of this sloppy reporting and i shall cancel my subscription..:p

FT 394 Page 27, Mystery cubes found in river . The chap was magnet fishing and pulled out Lead cubes..:thought: Since when has lead become magnetic..:dunno:
I raised this at the time. Most likely, the cubes were in some container that the magnet caught. Or they were picked up in a net.

The Cromer Town Council repealed the Laws of Gravity so why not similar stuff in Coventry?

I raised this at the time. Most likely, the cubes were in some container that the magnet caught. Or they were picked up in a net.
Is this true? I did wonder about it after reading 'Coypu's' report, and thought to myself ~ well maybe it's possible that a certain amount of iron is embedded within the lead, or, iron in the lead possibly?
However, after looking up the reported stories about how they came to haul out the cubes, along with their reported finds of other bits and pieces that they are supposed to have hauled up using the magnet, they report that it was claimed they had also hauled out after revisiting the sight... ('it' so-say being kept a secret location) that a silver coin was also caught using the magnet!
Just what kind of magnet it? As after I'd looked up the properties of Silver, and then magnetism to Silver, I found that Silver is also NOT attracted to magnetism... the whole thing sounds at best a bit sketchy, and possibly a very cock-eyed tale?

Last edited:
More recent redundant discussion about the cubes has now been moved into the previously established thread on the subject.

Back