The COVID-19 (Wuhan Coronavirus) Outbreak: Conspiracy Theories & Claims

AlchoPwn

Public Service is my Motto.
Yes, well, my neighborhood supermarkets are going all Soviet. Well stocked shelves are empty as the goodly folk of Massachusetts degenerate into panic like they did during the witch hunts. Rumor has it that a tribe of Juggalos built a 40 foot high pyramid of toilet paper, doused it in petrol, and set it alight while chanting "All is vanity", and whipping themselves with bibles on strings. Fun times.

On a brighter note. There are signs that various doctors in Asia have been treating covid-19 with chloroquine (anti-malaria and anti-arthritis drug) with decent success. Somebody even did the world the disservice of telling our fearless and perfect POTUS about it before he could catch it. We missed such a fine way to bring this disastrous presidency to an early close.

Victory

Abominable Snowman
In Israel the Shin Bet (equivalent to MI5) are monitoring phone conversations to track down virus spreaders.
There is no way they would do that on a whim, they have enough work with monitoring possible terrorism.
An internal security agency would not be asked to do that for a mild flu.

INT21

Antediluvian
Not so much a conspiracy theory as an observation.

I was watching this morning(on CNBC) a high up person in the American Airlines industry and he was making his case for a government handout to sustain the airlines during these troubled times.
He talkied about how, in recent times, the airlines were chugging along wit 85-90% capacity. Now they are down to 15% as people are notflying. The reasons for that are obvious.

But, he wasn't asked the blinding question 'If you were doing so well, where is the money ? Why do you need bailing out at all ?'

And it points to the crash that is coming. No big companies have any 'real' money. It is all built on debt. And the whole thing is starting to unwind.

He also avoided the question 'so should the shareholders be protected ?' or should the airlines be allowed to go bust.

Nicky Haley has resigned her position at Boeing saying the company should not be asking for public money.

This virus is exposing what should have been obvious years ago. The economies of many countries are unsustainable.

INT21.

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Not so much a conspiracy theory as an observation.

I was watching this morning(on CNBC) a high up person in the American Airlines industry and he was making his case for a government handout to sustain the airlines during these troubled times.
He talkied about how, in recent times, the airlines were chugging along wit 85-90% capacity. Now they are down to 15% as people are notflying. The reasons for that are obvious.

But, he wasn't asked the blinding question 'If you were doing so well, where is the money ? Why do you need bailing out at all ?'

And it points to the crash that is coming. No big companies have any 'real' money. It is all built on debt. And the whole thing is starting to unwind.

He also avoided the question 'so should the shareholders be protected ?' or should the airlines be allowed to go bust.

Nicky Haley has resigned her position at Boeing saying the company should not be asking for public money.

This virus is exposing what should have been obvious years ago. The economies of many countries are unsustainable.

INT21.
Fyi they've been using the profits to buy back their stock to increase their stock price which increases management bonudses. Not a red cent.

INT21

Antediluvian
Something else to worry about.

Last night I picked up a take away from my re-opened favourit place. It was ordered by phone, so just a matter of handing over the money and taking the bag; no waiting around involved, and there was no one else waiting anyway.

I mentioned to the guys working there that they must be doing a lot more deliveries.

'Oh yes, but this bug doesn't effect us (Pakistanis), so we are not worried'

I do hope they are correct, but somehow don't believe it.

This is the kind of thinking that allows virus' to gain traction.

AlchoPwn

Something else to worry about. Last night I picked up a take away from my re-opened favourite place. It was ordered by phone, so just a matter of handing over the money and taking the bag; no waiting around involved, and there was no one else waiting anyway. I mentioned to the guys working there that they must be doing a lot more deliveries. 'Oh yes, but this bug doesn't effect us (Pakistanis), so we are not worried' I do hope they are correct, but somehow don't believe it. This is the kind of thinking that allows virus' to gain traction.
In the epidemic business, that is what is called a "delivery vector".

Vardoger

Don't stand, don't stand, so close to me...
Something else to worry about.
Last night I picked up a take away from my re-opened favourit place. It was ordered by phone, so just a matter of handing over the money and taking the bag; no waiting around involved, and there was no one else waiting anyway.
I mentioned to the guys working there that they must be doing a lot more deliveries.
'Oh yes, but this bug doesn't effect us (Pakistanis), so we are not worried'
I do hope they are correct, but somehow don't believe it.
This is the kind of thinking that allows virus' to gain traction.
In Pakistan right now: 467 cases with 3 deaths. Probably a lot of underreporting.

Ringo

Of no preferred gender pronoun.
I was chatting to a fellow Mentalist yesterday about what we can predict or draw from this situation using our knowledge of human interaction etc. We were thinking more along the social interaction aspect. The only vaguely insightful thought I had was that I think smoking is a major factor in the infection rate.

China, Italy and Spain have lots of smokers. In China and Italy there are many more men than women who smoke. I suppose the UK has a lot too. I wondered whether smoking weakens the lungs or whether the act of touching the cigarette filter before putting it between you lips helps spread the infection I don't know. I just saw a correlation between populations I perceive as having a lot of smokers and high mortality rates. I looked up the % of people who smoke in those countries and they are all in the top 50. However, Iran and the UK aren't, so I thought maybe I was on the wrong track.

Then today there is an article in the Swedish newspapers DN and Aftonbladet saying that smoking is a factor in infection rates and death rates in China and Italy. So the conclusion being that smokers are more at risk and their concentrations in certain countries may make the figures look worse. Sweden has a low rate if smokers with many preferring a type of chewing tobacco called Snus.

Sweden so far has 1600 confirmed cases but only 21 people needing hospitalisation. So 98.7% of cases are mild (the known ones) and 1.3% have required hospitalisation/treatment. 16 (who tested positive) have been deemed totally virus free and 16 have died.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
This virus seems to have exploded on the world and spread suddenly.
To me, this indicates that it's entirely new and hasn't been around for a long time.
It could be an evolved version of SARS, mutating naturally. Or it could have been engineered.
The rate of spread is unprecedented. During the SARS outbreak, China did everything it could to suppress the outbreak. This time around, they didn't try so hard initially, preferring instead to suppress the truth. It's almost as if they knew what it would do to the rest of the world's economies. Look at the stock market - China is the only country that has started to recover from flatlining.
After this is over, the rest of the world must think long and hard about how we do business with China (or whether we do any business at all).

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
It's almost as if they knew what it would do to the rest of the world's economies.
I'm not sure if this post is reporting conspiracies or adding to them! We are right to be dubious of everything out of China but would they unleash a genie in their own country and wait for a time they could re-bottle him at home, trusting in his offspring to devastate the rest of their markets? :thought:

Edit: "trusting in . . . to devastate" preferred to "while . . . devastated"

Last edited:

Lb8535

The rumor in the US, and I have seen no backup for this at all, is that some junior trump owns a large part of the company that makes the testing equipment and getting that in place is what held up "approval" of the tests. I honestly can't see the CDC functioning that way but the hold-up is inexplicable.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
The rumor in the US, and I have seen no backup for this at all, is that some junior trump owns a large part of the company that makes the testing equipment and getting that in place is what held up "approval" of the tests. I honestly can't see the CDC functioning that way but the hold-up is inexplicable.
Take your rumours and post them on the Conspiracy Thread:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...-19-outbreak-conspiracy-theories-claims.66849

This has now been requested multiple times by multiple moderators on both threads.

I'm tired of moving threads, so I'll leave your post in place here to copy until this evening and then delete it along with this one.

I'm sorry to make an example of Lb8535 alone because a good number of others are also ignoring us.

Personally, without evidence, the claim sounds like bullshit. And posting rumours of dubious validity during a global pandemic seems less than helpful.

How about revealing where or from whom you heard this?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
This virus seems to have exploded on the world and spread suddenly.
To me, this indicates that it's entirely new and hasn't been around for a long time.
It could be an evolved version of SARS, mutating naturally. Or it could have been engineered.
The rate of spread is unprecedented. During the SARS outbreak, China did everything it could to suppress the outbreak. This time around, they didn't try so hard initially, preferring instead to suppress the truth. It's almost as if they knew what it would do to the rest of the world's economies. Look at the stock market - China is the only country that has started to recover from flatlining.
After this is over, the rest of the world must think long and hard about how we do business with China (or whether we do any business at all).
I'm not the only one saying this, apparently - just found this:

AlchoPwn

Has everyone got their chloroquine yet? I still have some left over from 2 years ago when I went to Ghana.

AlchoPwn

Nope. Can only get it on subscription here.
In the US, it's a lot easier I think.
I suspect Africa has it all over everyone, given that they still have malaria. Try ordering it in from there. Fewer regulations.

Lb8535

Take your rumours and post them on the Conspiracy Thread:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...-19-outbreak-conspiracy-theories-claims.66849

This has now been requested multiple times by multiple moderators on both threads.

I'm tired of moving threads, so I'll leave your post in place here to copy until this evening and then delete it along with this one.

I'm sorry to make an example of Lb8535 alone because a good number of others are also ignoring us.

Personally, without evidence, the claim sounds like bullshit. And posting rumours of dubious validity during a global pandemic seems less than helpful.

How about revealing where or from whom you heard this?
Yeah sorry late at night and I forgot what thread it was. Sorry you had to take action. Can't find it on facebook, which I use sparingly except for arts-related groups, but it contained details. Since then I've seen oblique notes without data, probably from the same source. And I don't actually think it's total bullshit, it makes perfect sense given observation of evidence-based lack of responsible decision-making and recorded violations of the emoluments clause. Many theories are possible but not supported by facts. If I can find the fb post I'll post it. In the conspiracy claims thread.

Lb8535

Nope. Can only get it on subscription here.
In the US, it's a lot easier I think.
No, it's by Rx, and until now not very popular. Interesting, my cousin has a rare condition affecting her tendons, which makes it difficult for her to walk. This stuff has been used for years as one drug that helps, a little. So she has a supply (which she is not offering out as yet.) But we don't know if it has any effect on a viral illness. I think we'd all be more comfortable if the leadership didn't just jump happily on possibilities to make positive soundbites. Hope is not a strategy.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Is that the general view in Australia?
Especially the bit about demanding reparations from China and scrapping the WHO, as it is in China's pocket.
Not just Australia. There are calls in France too (this article entitled China Must Pay is from ex Charlie Hebdo journalist Jean Patrick Grumberg) to demand reparations from the Chinese regime for inflicting the virus on the world.

https://www.dreuz.info/2020/03/15/goldnadeltv-coronavirus-la-chine-doit-payer/

Conman at work, notice that he had a white van.

Police are warning people to be vigilant after a suspected conman tried to get a homeowner to hand over their dog for coronavirus quarantine.

The man went to a house in Marton, Middlesbrough, and told the victim their dog needed to be taken away. When questioned, the man walked away and drove off in a white van. Cleveland Police has renewed warnings about fraud. The RSPCA has said there is "no evidence" pets can become ill from coronavirus.

The male suspect is described as being a tanned with an unknown accent and black hair. He was wearing a grey padded coat and dark trousers.

"We are warning members of the public to be vigilant," a force spokeswoman said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tees-51987632

AlchoPwn

Is that the general view in Australia?
Especially the bit about demanding reparations from China and scrapping the WHO, as it is in China's pocket.
It isn't that dumb a position. Off to the Hague. It would certainly justify harsh economic measures if they lose the case and fail to cough up (so to speak).

INT21

Antediluvian
If China stops trading with the countries who 'get stroppy' then those countries will rapidly join the collapsing economy club.

I think a lot of people don't realise how important China is.

The number of US Senators accused of insider trading now stands at four.

Four US senators are under scrutiny over claims they used insider knowledge about the impending coronavirus crisis to sell shares before prices plummeted.

Republicans Richard Burr and Kelly Loeffler face calls to quit after selling millions in stocks last month. James Inhofe, a Republican, and Dianne Feinstein, a Democrat, also reportedly sold holdings at the time. It is illegal for Congress members to trade based on non-public information gathered during their official duties.

All four senators deny any impropriety.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51976484