• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Conspiracy Theories & Claims

@Trevp666 you can go out, unless you have symptons. what you can't do is go out in non household groups. not congregate with others, not get in your car to drive somewhere else to exercise.

i went out jogging shuffling earlier- there was loads of people out, but only in family units or solo. everyone just swerved around each other when passing by.

good post though :)

If you click on some of those figures with the map, you can see that some of them point to the wrong country.
I think that map isn't working correctly and the figures aren't being updated.

CONSPIRACY nuts are reportedly setting phone masts alight and targeting engineers after a bizarre claim 5G "radiation" caused the deadly coronavirus spread.

NINTCHDBPICT000574915291.jpg

This mast was set alight in Birmingham

The theory originated last month after a video filmed at a US health conference claimed Africa was not as affected by the disease because it is "not a 5G region".

The myth was quickly debunked after the World Health Organisation confirmed there were thousands of Covid-19 cases in Africa.

The government has also confirmed there is "no evidence to suggest that 5G has anything to do with Covid-19".

Celebs have been slammed for sharing the conspiracy theory, including Jason Gardiner and Callum Best, who posted similar claims that 5G can impact the immune system.

But the claims have still been doing the rounds on WhatsApp via a lengthy voice note - with phone masts now being set alight in the UK.

Engineers are now also being targeted with social media users encouraging each other to destroy the masts in a Stop 5G Facebook group.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11320198/coronavirus-5g-conspiracy-theory-masts/

maximus otter

Well that’s the Midlands for you. Also, thanks to social distancing, Thursday’s Witch Burnings are cancelled for the next few weeks.

i may be remembering wrong but i'm sure there was an episode of the excellent Person of Interest in which a person was murdered as she was about to whistleblow that the 5g tech her company was making was making people ill and violent. that episode would have been at least 5 years ago....

i may be remembering wrong but i'm sure there was an episode of the excellent Person of Interest in which a person was murdered as she was about to whistleblow that the 5g tech her company was making was making people ill and violent. that episode would have been at least 5 years ago....

Nono, that was 5K. Quite different.

https://personofinterest.fandom.com/wiki/Guilty/Summary

Reese sends him a technical document on the 5K system. Finch realizes the system operates at such a high wattage which would cause nausea, migraines, ulcers, and cancer. Infinince employees were already exhibiting symptoms because the prototype tower was installed on site.

"we see on the 'official figures' only 135 in the UK recovered when it should be about 15,000 by now."

That very low recovery rate only applies to "closed cases".
That means people treated in hospital where they tested positively for Coronavirus.
Those patients were clearly gravely ill, so it is perhaps a bit less surprising that deaths amongst this group far outnumber recoveries.
Out in the wider UK, no-one knows how many people have had a mild case of the virus and subsequently recovered.

If you scroll down on the green 'Total Recovered' column on the far right, it says 215 for the UK.(as of 4th April)

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
If you click on some of those figures with the map, you can see that some of them point to the wrong country.
I think that map isn't working correctly and the figures aren't being updated.

I'm not sure where JHU are getting their data from. The 'total' on the right hand side says 215 but the 'total' when you look at the map says 135, so the numbers don't agree.
I have found the official figures from the ONS are the most entirely accurate, and supported by them showing their 'workings' and where the data comes from, albeit a few days after the events (which means that they also capture the data which comes in late).

That very low recovery rate only applies to "closed cases".
As does the figure for deaths on the same set of figures. As a percentage the deaths vs recoveries should be somewhere in the region of 20% deaths vs 80% recoveries, which is why I say that the recoveries figure should be somewhere around 15,000.
The figure of 135 has remained unchanged for nearly 2 weeks now. I'm not believing that nobody has recovered for nearly 2 weeks.

I'm not sure where JHU are getting their data from. The 'total' on the right hand side says 215 but the 'total' when you look at the map says 135, so the numbers don't agree.
I have found the official figures from the ONS are the most entirely accurate, and supported by them showing their 'workings' and where the data comes from, albeit a few days after the events (which means that they also capture the data which comes in late).
I think we can safely say that the map is showing unreliable data.
Yeah, stick to the ONS figures.

Okay so balance these facts against each other. Both reported today. Current total of UK deaths is 4313 and this is expected to be the peak daily deaths this weekend (708 yesterday) so if we have a slow downward curve now then we might just about see 8000 total deaths by the time we stop counting them as being from covid-19 (which in itself is questionable).
So what planet is Neil Ferguson on when he gives an estimate of over 20,000? He has repeatedly displayed a total lack of accuracy over his 'forecasts'. This is the same guy that was putting forward the idea that we might have 200,000 deaths previously. Or was it a million?

April 5 (GMT)
UK: 1,559 COVID-19 patients are currently being treated in intensive care. Source: Intensive Care National Audit & Research Centre
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

The UK could see between 7,000 and "a little over" 20,000 deaths during the pandemic, according to one of the country's top epidemiologists, Prof Neil Ferguson.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-52160783

Oh, EDIT; Just to give some numbers to our Critical Care Capacity in the UK.
NHS England own figures for January 2020 show that of 4123 adult critical care beds there were 3423 occupied.
https://www.england.nhs.uk/statisti...and-urgent-operations-cancelled-2019-20-data/
Which leaves a spare capacity of around 800 beds. Quite a lot of those beds being used have been freed up through discharge and then non-reuptake due to cancellation of operations etc, and the number was also added to by increasing critical care bed numbers at hospitals, and also by creating extra capacity in the 'nightingale' hospital (which I expect will not get used, or barely used).
I saw a video has been released today purporting to be from a nurse in tears at being 'on their knees', swamped with covid-19 cases, but I think that is a fake. There is a total of 692 cases in Hertfordshire, which judging by average figures of 5% of those total cases requiring critical care means around 35 people. Spread that between the several main hospitals in Hertfordshire (not the little ones, just the main ones) means each is likely to have, at most, 6 or 7 covid-19 patients.
It's just simple maths.
I'm not buying it that the NHS is drowning under a massive number of covid-19 critical care cases, it just doesn't add up.
Nowhere near.

Last edited:
Okay so balance these facts against each other. Both reported today. Current total of UK deaths is 4313 and this is expected to be the peak daily deaths this weekend (708 yesterday) so if we have a slow downward curve now then we might just about see 8000 total deaths by the time we stop counting them as being from covid-19 (which in itself is questionable).
So what planet is Neil Ferguson on when he gives an estimate of over 20,000? He has repeatedly displayed a total lack of accuracy over his 'forecasts'. This is the same guy that was putting forward the idea that we might have 200,000 deaths previously. Or was it a million?

April 5 (GMT)
UK: 1,559 COVID-19 patients are currently being treated in intensive care. Source: Intensive Care National Audit & Research Centre
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

The UK could see between 7,000 and "a little over" 20,000 deaths during the pandemic, according to one of the country's top epidemiologists, Prof Neil Ferguson.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-52160783

Oh, EDIT; Just to give some numbers to our Critical Care Capacity in the UK.
NHS England own figures for January 2020 show that of 4123 adult critical care beds there were 3423 occupied.
https://www.england.nhs.uk/statisti...and-urgent-operations-cancelled-2019-20-data/
Which leaves a spare capacity of around 800 beds. Quite a lot of those beds being used have been freed up through discharge and then non-reuptake due to cancellation of operations etc, and the number was also added to by increasing critical care bed numbers at hospitals, and also by creating extra capacity in the 'nightingale' hospital (which I expect will not get used, or barely used).
I saw a video has been released today purporting to be from a nurse in tears at being 'on their knees', swamped with covid-19 cases, but I think that is a fake. There is a total of 692 cases in Hertfordshire, which judging by average figures of 5% of those total cases requiring critical care means around 35 people. Spread that between the several main hospitals in Hertfordshire (not the little ones, just the main ones) means each is likely to have, at most, 6 or 7 covid-19 patients.
It's just simple maths.
I'm not buying it that the NHS is drowning under a massive number of covid-19 critical care cases, it just doesn't add up.
Nowhere near.
I would like to think you are right and that there won't be more than 8,000 deaths. But real life and computer modelling can seriously diverge, so I wouldn't like to speculate.

STILL we see on the 'official figures' only 135 in the UK recovered when it should be about 15,000 by now.Something isn't right. There's definitely something we aren't being told (besides the number of recoveries).

I suspect that with the chaos out there and the nebulousness of when someone is "recovered", it is hard for people to keep track of who is "better now". It seems that the virus is persistent and lasts longer than the advised 2 weeks. My own worst dose of the flu kept me sick for 5 weeks back in 2003. It might well be that people with non-severe C-19 are not reporting their own recoveries also, much like people get better when taking antibiotics and stop taking them before they run out hoping to conserve the resource for the future, but creating superbugs. In short, yeah, we aren't being told what is going on in complete detail, but to assume that there is a conspiracy would need a lot more proof, as the very people who are withholding the evidence may in fact be the very people who are paranoid about the government knowing their details, thus the conspiracy theorists ARE/BECOME the conspiracy.

I wish I had kept a daily record of the UK 'active cases' as then I would be able to do some simple calculations each day to work out the number of recoveries. I mean, every new case that appeared from the start of the outbreak isn't still ill with it are they - it only takes a couple of weeks for the virus to either kill you or for you to recover from it.

I was looking for the bit on here about helicopters dropping some kind of substance.

Well mum and I went out into the world today because she had to go for a blood test for her upcoming (now phone) hospital appointments.

When I went out the door I noticed a very strong gassy smell. I’ve just passed the open window now and it’s there again. Are they fumigating us?

We used to blame the factories for any unusual smells but they are long gone. I can’t say I’ve noticed a helicopter but they are very often overhead so probably would go unnoticed.

Not... wanting to cause alarm, but can't see that anyone else has picked up on this, so - could it actually be gas? As in a gas leak from a nearby house? (Is there gas on your street?)

Gas leaks can be smelled outdoors, can't they?

it only takes a couple of weeks for the virus to either kill you or for you to recover from it.
No it doesn't, it takes many weeks on a ventilator to kill you. Who is it that you are expecting to be logging all these recoveries while simultanously caring for all the thousands in intensive care right now? Efforts are almost certainly not being concentrated on this at the moment. It is hardly a priority.

No it doesn't, it takes many weeks on a ventilator to kill you. Who is it that you are expecting to be logging all these recoveries while simultanously caring for all the thousands in intensive care right now? Efforts are almost certainly not being concentrated on this at the moment. It is hardly a priority.

Indeed, critical patients put onto mechanical ventilation are not expected to survive, they can be on a ventilator for weeks, as has been found in several small studies (one piece on that can be found here;)
https://www.npr.org/sections/health...tically-ill-covid-19-patients?t=1586108967227

However, for recoveries I was actually referring to people not in critical care that just present with mild symptoms, or are asymptomatic, these people will usually go from infection to recovery within a couple of weeks, three at most.
And I don't expect people to be logging them. I just expect that there should be a method whereby when someone discharges themselves from care (whether that be hospital care or home care as advised by a GP) that their numbers get taken off the total. Otherwise we are going have the numbers of active cases continue to grow indefinitely.

Indeed, critical patients put onto mechanical ventilation are not expected to survive, they can be on a ventilator for weeks, as has been found in several small studies (one piece on that can be found here;)
https://www.npr.org/sections/health...tically-ill-covid-19-patients?t=1586108967227

However, for recoveries I was actually referring to people not in critical care that just present with mild symptoms, or are asymptomatic, these people will usually go from infection to recovery within a couple of weeks, three at most.
And I don't expect people to be logging them. I just expect that there should be a method whereby when someone discharges themselves from care (whether that be hospital care or home care as advised by a GP) that their numbers get taken off the total. Otherwise we are going have the numbers of active cases continue to grow indefinitely.
But in most cases those numbers were never reported as being an official case anyhow.

Back