• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Conspiracy Theories & Claims

If you'd like to evade any possible spin-doctoring and simply see the research report's accepted manuscript ...

The actual manuscript of the survey report that's been accepted for publication can be downloaded as a PDF file at:

https://www.cambridge.org/core/serv...with-government-guidelines-in-england-div.pdf

CORONAVIRUS CONSPIRACY BELIEFS, MISTRUST, AND COMPLIANCE WITH GOVERNMENT GUIDELINES IN ENGLAND
Daniel Freeman, Felicity Waite, Laina Rosebrock, Ariane Petit, Chiara Causier, Anna East, Lucy Jenner, Ashley-Louise Teale, Lydia Carr, Sophie Mulhall, Emily Bold, Sinéad Lambe

SUBMITTED TO PSYCHOLOGICAL MEDICINE 19th MAY 2020
DOI: S0033291720001890

So. Mad scientist type guy creates a deadly toxin, lethal for humans but harmless to animals, and unleashes it on the world with a plan to repopulate with a master race. NASA and the CIA are involved in an investigation, as are the UK M.O.D.
Covid-19
I should stop watching old James Bond films....

So. Mad scientist type guy creates a deadly toxin, lethal for humans but harmless to animals, and unleashes it on the world with a plan to repopulate with a master race. NASA and the CIA are involved in an investigation, as are the UK M.O.D.
Covid-19
I should stop watching old James Bond films....
IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!

Cockatoos won over by conspiracy theories. Vid at link.

A flock of cockatoos was captured on camera breaking wires connected to a 5G tower in Australia.

The video comes as conspiracy theorists stage protests across Australia opposing the new 5G network's roll-out over unfounded concerns that coronavirus could cause.

"Birds attack a 5G tower, do they sense it's a threat?" the caption of the video reads.

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/...wer-by-ripping-out-wires-with-their-beaks.htm

This Jerusalem Post news article describes some of the finding from an Oxford survey of 2,500 Britons concerning COVID-related conspiracy theories / suspicions.

FULL STORY: https://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/Anti...ve-COVID-is-a-Jewish-conspiracy-survey-629187
Interesting - On the air tonight on PBS {USA}:
"Viral: Antisemitism in Four Mutations"
New, Profile, Cultural, History, Social Topic
Firsthand accounts from victims, witnesses, and others who have experienced it document the recent rise of anti-Semitism in the United States and Europe, which is increasing in ways not seen since the days of World War II.

https://www.viralthefilm.com/

If you follow conspiracy theory it makes perfect sense
- The idea that whatever the origin {natural or man made}

Extremist, in this case Muslim, terrorists would accelerate its spread
and then try to blame it on the Jews.

If it worked for Hitler in his attempt to take over the World
- How could extremist Middle Eastern terrorists not see the opportunity?

Prove it? - You see that's the beauty {or ugliness} of it
- Not like the terrorist attack of 911 on the World Trade Center where
the culprits became immediately obvious - Now, in this case no one knows
exactly who the culprits are, and proof of origin may be impossible.

Most people still believe it is a natural occurrence.

Here's the Oxford University news release about the COVID conspiracy survey research cited above ...

FULL STORY:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-05-22...ces-following-government-coronavirus-guidance
Sure it is possible that espousing a conspiracy theory will lead some to dismiss
the severity of the situation - And that is unfortunate.

The early theories of those like David Ike who tried to downplay the reality of
of what government was saying and others, including some of us here are
exemplary.

I think most people should be beyond that - And yet they've been showing a bunch
of people here in US and Britain paying no attention, and congregating in large
groups without face masks - Apparently they don't understand that even if they
are from an area or group of people with low incidence rates - Just one person
carrying the disease can cause a whole new outbreak in an area or group.

Testing might be good to detect areas of concentration - But has limited value
in individuals since no cure yet exists.

I always tell friends and people I know - Assume everyone has it or is carrying it
- Even a test done today still may not show someone who picked it up yesterday!

Not to tell people to be unsociable - But to strongly advise people that being
unsociable may save their life and the lives of people they interact with
- The less personal interaction among people the better.

Dominic Cummings apparently edited an old blog post to back up his strange claim that he predicted coronavirus. Why make the claim in the first place?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52808059
This is beyond farce...£100k a year for a 'Special Advisor', who is not only exempt from his own lockdown regulations, but isn't even able to cover his tracks when retrospectively-falsifying his own CV

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/cummings_predicted_coronovirus_march_2019

BBC said:
The internet archive Wayback Machine, which tracks the changing versions of publicly available websites, shows that the blog was edited some time between 9 April and 3 May this year (after the pandemic started) to insert the reference to coronavirus and Chinese labs. This was first pointed out by a data scientist Jens Wiechers on social media, and can be seen here.

It is in the form of a new quote from an article already linked to in the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists. It was not in the original blog.

And the sitemap of Mr Cumming's blog corroborates this, showing that this post was indeed edited at 20:55:20 on the evening of 14 April this year, still available here. This happens to be the day Mr Cummings returned to work from his Durham trip.

For the umpteenth time: nothing about this unreal saga, whether it be principals, scenery, scripts, or bit-players; stands-up to even the slightest scrutiny.

Burr still under investigation.

The Justice Department is dropping investigations into three senators who made large stock trades as cases of the coronavirus first began appearing in the U.S., according to multiple reports.

Officials informed attorneys for Sens. Kelly Loeffler (R-Ga.), James Inhofe (R-Okla.) and Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) on Tuesday that they would not pursue the investigations after financial disclosure reports revealed that the lawmakers or their spouses had sold hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars in stock. The sales, first reported in March, came shortly after Congress began receiving regular briefings on the coronavirus and potentially saved lawmakers from substantial financial losses as the stock market began an ongoing period of upheaval.

Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.) is reportedly still under investigation for his own stock trades after ProPublica first reported he had sold between $628,000 and $1.72 million worth of holdings. Federal investigators seized one of his cellphones earlier this month as part of that probe. He has denied any wrongdoing.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/just...139066be7b?ncid=newsltushpmgnews&guccounter=1

Sorry, we've had complaints already today.

I'm sure we all have our own opinions--I sure as hell do--but we're not going to get into Boris and Dom any more than we did Jeremy and Seamus.

And, in hindsight, it would have been better if we'd never done Tony and Alistair either.

Complaints eh ? - see the powers that be are reading every word of the conspiracy threads just waiting to pounce - even now the helicopters in black are heading out to whisk away any poster who got to close to the TRUTH.....
(I kid..... I hope).

This is beyond farce...£100k a year for a 'Special Advisor', who is not only exempt from his own lockdown regulations, but isn't even able to cover his tracks when retrospectively-falsifying his own CV

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/cummings_predicted_coronovirus_march_2019

For the umpteenth time: nothing about this unreal saga, whether it be principals, scenery, scripts, or bit-players; stands-up to even the slightest scrutiny.
One last dig,( I promise Yith), I've come to realise, after a year or two on the planet, that the size of someone's salary does not necessarily correlate to their usefulness to society. Having said that £100k is not necessarily out of this world anymore. The daughter of a friend has a new neighbour couple who are both tellybox commentators - their salaries are eyewatering and their usefulness I would suggest less than important.

Claims China secret stockpiled masks and PPE equipment before disclosing the possibility of human-to-human transmission to the international community. Caveat: Taiwanese news tends to be very anti PRC.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3927369

EDIT, another source. This one quoting the former Mexican ambassador to China as saying that China bought the entire mask stock of Mexico up early on in the outbreak, and are now selling it back to Mexico at 20X the original price. China-made masks bought by Mexico and Finland are substandard and inadequate at blocking the virus

https://www.rfa.org/cantonese/news/finland-substandard-04092020102703.html?encoding=None (Chinese language source, use google translate)

Last edited:
China bought the entire mask stock of Mexico up early on in the outbreak, and are now selling it back to Mexico at 20X the original price. China-made masks bought by Mexico and Finland are substandard and inadequate at blocking the virus

So, they are trying to flog some substandard masks, at inflated prices, to countries who KNOW they are substandard? How about "Stick your masks up your arse, at any price" as a reply to the Chinese salesman?
Or did the Chinese buy Mexican-made masks and are now re-selling them back at a massive mark-up? That's good old Capitalism, baby, so suck it up.

Actually, no, fuck China, FREE TIBET!

So, they are trying to flog some substandard masks, at inflated prices, to countries who KNOW they are substandard?
[...]
Or did the Chinese buy Mexican-made masks and are now re-selling them back at a massive mark-up?

Both.

Niall Ferguson is asking questions of Xi Jinping that almost stray into conspiracy territory. Interesting:
http://www.niallferguson.com/blog/six-questions-for-xi-jinping-another-update

The most controversial question I asked in my original article was Question 3:

Third, after it became clear that there was a full-blown epidemic spreading from Wuhan to the rest of Hubei province, why did you cut off travel from Hubei to the rest of China — on January 23 — but not from Hubei to the rest of the world?

January is always a peak month for travel from China to Europe and America because of the lunar new year holiday. As far as I can tell from the available records, however, regular direct flights from Wuhan continued to run to London, Paris, Rome, New York and San Francisco throughout January and in some cases into February. You have lost no time in restricting international travel into China now that Covid-19 has gone global; your approach was conspicuously different when you were exporting it to us.

The Canadian-born political scientist Daniel Bell, who is dean of the School of Political Science and Public Administration at Shandong University and a professor at Tsinghua University, first privately and then publicly challenged this part of my article, claiming that I was “suggest[ing] the Chinese government deliberately allowed, if not encouraged, the spread of the virus to five cities in Western countries after it tried to control it in China.” He went so far as to accuse me of “worrisome … conspiracy theorizing.” This was strange to me, as my article quite clearly left open the possibility that, like the original appearance of the virus, the continuation of travel from Wuhan was the result of incompetence, not malevolence. The lesson of Chernobyl is that Communist regimes are capable of gross incompetence and then seek to cover up their blunders. Similar pathologies can be found in the bureaucracies of democracies, of course, but political and press freedoms make cover-ups much harder.

Now how about this:

Antibody Tests Point To Lower Death Rate For The Coronavirus Than First Thought
"
Mounting evidence suggests the coronavirus is more common and less deadly than it first appeared.

The evidence comes from tests that detect antibodies to the coronavirus in a person's blood rather than the virus itself.

The tests are finding large numbers of people in the U.S. who were infected but never became seriously ill. And when these mild infections are included in coronavirus statistics, the virus appears less dangerous.

"The current best estimates for the infection fatality risk are between 0.5% and 1%," says Caitlin Rivers, an epidemiologist at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security............."

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...h-rate-for-the-coronavirus-than-first-thought

So the questions any reasonable persons would ask is:

1. Why did they not follow the other option presented in the beginning
which was to notify the public of the truth and encourage all older and persons with at risk medical conditions to self isolate and cater to this problem demographic rather than wreck the World's economies when right from the beginning they knew ti was a low kill rate disease for most people ??????

2. Where can you find the actual death rate for those people not in the high-risk
category ????

3. What is the motivation??? - Was it really to save lives ???

Now how about this:

Antibody Tests Point To Lower Death Rate For The Coronavirus Than First Thought
"
Mounting evidence suggests the coronavirus is more common and less deadly than it first appeared.

The evidence comes from tests that detect antibodies to the coronavirus in a person's blood rather than the virus itself.

The tests are finding large numbers of people in the U.S. who were infected but never became seriously ill. And when these mild infections are included in coronavirus statistics, the virus appears less dangerous.

"The current best estimates for the infection fatality risk are between 0.5% and 1%," says Caitlin Rivers, an epidemiologist at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security............."

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...h-rate-for-the-coronavirus-than-first-thought

So the questions any reasonable persons would ask is:

1. Why did they not follow the other option presented in the beginning
which was to notify the public of the truth and encourage all older and persons with at risk medical conditions to self isolate and cater to this problem demographic rather than wreck the World's economies when right from the beginning they knew ti was a low kill rate disease for most people ??????

2. Where can you find the actual death rate for those people not in the high-risk
category ????

3. What is the motivation??? - Was it really to save lives ???
I think the biggest problems were (a) that there was conflicting information about the virus and (b) early research done by Chinese medical scientists was suppressed or not released.

... Mounting evidence suggests the coronavirus is more common and less deadly than it first appeared.

... And the antibody / serology tests upon which this purported evidence is based have now been claimed to give erroneous results at up to 50% of the time.

Qatar has now made it so that if you leave the house without downloading the contact-tracing app, you face 3 years in prison.

Back