• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Conspiracy Theories & Claims

I flew back from The Netherlands the other day. After going through passport control I was approached by a be-suited gentleman who sheepishly and apologetically showed his police I.D. and asked if I'd just arrived from Amsterdam.

I replied in the affirmative.

With an embarrassed smile he said I'd no doubt heard of the Corona virus and had I heard much about it on Dutch media while I was there.

I replied in the negative.

He thanked me and I went on my way.

So what was that all about then?
Checking the level of hysteria.
To see if the alarmist PR is working.

Anybody else getting a little less worried about Covid-19 itself, but more and more worried about the disproportionate response the UK government seem to be whipping up in response to it?

I think the 1987 hurricane set a precedent.
The BBC weather broadcast is now infamous....weatherman Michael Fish mentioned a woman had phoned in to ask what she should do about a "Hurricane on the way" and he told us all not to worry.

This at a time when there were only four national TV channels, and no world wide web, so a BBC weather forecast carried a lot of weight.
So that night a hurricane happened and caused the strongest winds ever recorded in London, and a lot of damage.

Since then government and organisations have made sure to cover their backs.

As for me, went to Sainsbury's supermarket yesterday and people were panic buying, Staff showed me one man who had filled his trolley, said it was that man's thrid visit of the day.
I tried to find hygienic wipes and hand gel, could not see any.
But the stocks of vitamin supplements had increased from normal levels.

Watching Sky News this morning, and a strange 'code' appeared at the top of the screen while the Chief Medical Officer was talking about the coronavirus. Managed to find it on the online version. It flashed a couple of times (I think the hearts flashed on and off too) then disappeared seconds later:

1583307825431.png

UKI1941-1 with a heart at either side? Whatever does it mean? Was it something we humble viewers weren't supposed to see?

Do we need to look back at 1941 for something that happened in the UK then, for an indication of what will happen with coronavirus now?

(Humour me... this is the coronavirus conspiracy thread after all... :) )

Watching Sky News this morning, and a strange 'code' appeared at the top of the screen while the Chief Medical Officer was talking about the coronavirus. Managed to find it on the online version. It flashed a couple of times (I think the hearts flashed on and off too) then disappeared seconds later:

View attachment 23829

UKI1941-1 with a heart at either side? Whatever does it mean? Was it something we humble viewers weren't supposed to see?

Do we need to look back at 1941 for something that happened in the UK then, for an indication of what will happen with coronavirus now?

(Humour me... this is the coronavirus conspiracy thread after all...:) )
The name of the satellite channel it's broadcast on?

https://www.sat-benelux.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=402256&start=555

Re: Sky News UK,16.0°E
Post by stanley_cassidy » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:15 pm
Sky News UK,16.0°E

Channel data : 16e,11159h,5000(hdtv,dvb-s2)
Channel Name : UKI-1941-1

Sat Name : Eutelsat 16A
Sat Pos : 16.0°E
Event Type : Sky News UK

I think the 1987 hurricane set a precedent.
The BBC weather broadcast is now infamous....weatherman Michael Fish mentioned a woman had phoned in to ask what she should do about a "Hurricane on the way" and he told us all not to worry.

This at a time when there were only four national TV channels, and no world wide web, so a BBC weather forecast carried a lot of weight.
So that night a hurricane happened and caused the strongest winds ever recorded in London, and a lot of damage.

Since then government and organisations have made sure to cover their backs.

They have. But I do question the difference between covering your backs and causing alarm. It is very difficult to control a situation once you have induced a sense of panic and fear. And panic and fear is very much the order of the day after the last 48 hrs, stoked not only by Papers and BBC News, but directly from central government.

This government is very media savvy. And social media savvy too. There is no way they won't have considered the damage that using their current rhetoric could do.

As for me, went to Sainsbury's supermarket yesterday and people were panic buying, Staff showed me one man who had filled his trolley, said it was that man's thrid visit of the day.
I tried to find hygienic wipes and hand gel, could not see any.
But the stocks of vitamin supplements had increased from normal levels.

The same picture here, too. At both of my nearest supermarkets. Genuine panic. Hand gel off the shelves, even the stuff without alcohol in it.

So what about this curious connection I've recently made up - the opthamologist Dr. Li Wenliang tried to warn others about the virus and was shut down. Is he the new Cassandra of Greek myth? A seer whose warnings are not believed?

So what about this curious connection I've recently made up - the opthamologist Dr. Li Wenliang tried to warn others about the virus and was shut down. Is he the new Cassandra of Greek myth? A seer whose warnings are not believed?

There is a very serious crime in the army.

It is 'spreading despondency in the ranks'.

Possibly this doctor was shut down for the same reason.

I do see some hints that some folks here may be worrying more than is necessary. By all means take care.

It this isn't going to be the end of the world.

I can't help but think that the virus itself has likely been here since September / October last year. Symptoms wise it's not really any different from any heavy cold or flu. And obviously Flu kills more people each year. What concerns me is that we've skipped straight from telling people to be sensible, cautious but vigilant to effectively telling them that we'll all but be under martial law in the coming months.

The rhetoric being used right now is either spectacularly poorly chosen or has been deliberately intended to create a heightened level of fear. If it was intended to calm people it has missed the mark considerably.
I have been wondering about that myself. Especially after the apparent spontaneous clusters of cases in seemingly random places about the world. Perhaps it was there already but just that no-one was testing for it.
It may still have come from there, just sooner than we realised. If that is the case though and it has been spreading about for months then perhaps it is not as infectious or as unpleasant (requiring hospitalisation for quite a lot of people) as we first thought. And it does seem to be pretty infectious. I don't know. It is all strange. :thought:

There was a cold type illness going round my neck of the woods around October/November last year which generally manifested as an elevated temperature, muscle aches and a dry cough that persisted for weeks rather than the traditional cold and flu type symptoms. I had it as did nearly everyone in my social and work circles. In hindsight it looks suspiciously like the current COVID-19 illness given the list of symptoms they’re publicising.

It also occurs to me that a global pandemic would be a very good excuse for a rightwing government to introduce some fairly drastic social policies they wouldn’t otherwise get away with in less turbulent times.

But why would China - a nominally communist country, want to launch a global pandemic, when their economy and their global influence had been growing dramatically for many years?

I will admit that it does seem suspicious that China's main viral research centre is in Wuhan, but Occam's razor suggests strongly that this is entirely down to Chinese eating habits and practices at "wet markets".

Unless mistaken, isn't it the case that not one infection could be traced back to a local food market?
This extract dates from yesterday and seems to explain the present situation:

How did Covid-19 start?

The disease appears to have originated from a Wuhan seafood market where wild animals, including marmots, birds, rabbits, bats and snakes, are traded illegally. Coronaviruses are known to jump from animals to humans, so it’s thought that the first people infected with the disease – a group primarily made up of stallholders from the seafood market – contracted it from contact with animals.

Although an initial analysis of the virus that causes Covid-19 suggested it was similar to viruses seen in snakes, the hunt for the animal source of Covid-19 is still on. A team of virologists at the Wuhan Institute for Virology released a detailed paper showing that the new coronaviruses' genetic makeup is 96 per cent identical to that of a coronavirus found in bats, while an as-yet unpublished study argues that genetic sequences of coronavirus in pangolins are 99 per cent similar to the human virus. Some early cases of Covid-19, however, appear to have inflicted people with no link to the Wuhan market at all, suggesting that the initial route of human infection may pre-date the market cases.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/china-coronavirus

There was a cold type illness going round my neck of the woods around October/November last year which generally manifested as an elevated temperature, muscle aches and a dry cough that persisted for weeks rather than the traditional cold and flu type symptoms. I had it as did nearly everyone in my social and work circles. In hindsight it looks suspiciously like the current COVID-19 illness given the list of symptoms they’re publicising.

It also occurs to me that a global pandemic would be a very good excuse for a rightwing government to introduce some fairly drastic social policies they wouldn’t otherwise get away with in less turbulent times.

It seems, according to an expert on tonight's BBC, that if you care infected by the virus and survive, as most apparently do, Then it is unlikely you will get it a second time as your body will have devenoped antibodies to deal with it. So those who had a bad time of it last year may be safe this time.

It seems, according to an expert on tonight's BBC, that if you care infected by the virus and survive, as most apparently do, Then it is unlikely you will get it a second time as your body will have devenoped antibodies to deal with it. So those who had a bad time of it last year may be safe this time.
Until it mutates.

Here's a happy thought. Ole mental Hurdygurdyman in Turkey has just unleashed 10's of thousand of people on the Turkey/Greece border. They've got no food or shelter and are an ideal breeding ground for this virus. Considering they come from all over the place, including countries with outbreaks of the virus, then it's quite possible that quite a few of them will be carriers. Considering that they've just been basically weaponised against Europe, then it follows that they could be a biological weapon in human form.

Back