• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Conspiracy Theories & Claims

Doctors are just the same as lawyers; the only difference is that lawyers merely rob you, whereas doctors rob you and kill you too.
Anton Chekhov, 1860-1904, Russian writer

It is the duty of a doctor to prolong life and it is not his duty to prolong the act of dying.
Bill Vaughan, 1915-1977, American journalist

1) The medical profession has become, well, a profession in the years since Chekhov left us. In developed nations, doctors routinely top the lists of most trusted professions--which wouldn't tend to be true if they had a habit of robbing one. Assuming the verb is metaphorical, the citizens of most developed nations also enjoy state-subsidised healthcare, the like of which did not exist to any meaningful extent in Tsarist Russia--few today are 'robbed' by the doctors.

2) Bill Vaughan--whoever he is--is talking nonsense. a) Death is not an act, it's a process; b) Delaying is not 'prolonging'; c) Most doctors I know believe that their duty is to alleviate suffering and improve quality of life, not stretch out life or eke out raw existence in the face of pain.

More generally, you could think about the tone of what you post a little. As Naughty Felid correctly points out, healthcare professionals, whatever you may think of them, have borne the deadly brunt of this pandemic in a way that no other group has. The elderly may be more likely to be killed by the virus, but doctors and nurses are obliged to eschew the kind of precautions that the rest of society is taking in order to do their work' they expose themselves to an elevated risk on a daily basis.

You're welcome to post Russian nonsense all day, but please dispense with the attitude.

Isn't there a separate thread for Russian Nonsense where that sort of thing should be posted?

Isn't there a separate thread for Russian Nonsense where that sort of thing should be posted?
We just need a 'Bullshit' or 'Nonsense' thread - perhaps no need to single out Russians, I think.

If this isn't addressed I'll be very disappointed in the forum.
You're welcome to post Russian nonsense all day, but please dispense with the attitude.
We just need a 'Bullshit' or 'Nonsense' thread - perhaps no need to single out Russians, I think.

NO - What you need is to stop calling yourselves a Charles Fort forum
- You insult the name of Charles Fort and seem diametrically opposed to his way of
thinking - And yes he was a thinker - Something that disturbs too many people
on this forum.

Your forum opposes free thought and has become an 'in crowd' forum of
losers looking to attack and oppose outsiders not part of the 'in crowd'.

You can keep taking your existential angst out on whoever is dumb enough
to post here but I will not continue to give you the opportunity.

When Alien-Ufos.com disappeared a couple of years ago and you welcomed
posters from there to come here, there were quite a few, including me, who did.
You've gotten rid of most, if not all of them as the attitude of your insiders is
to discriminate against all but the 'in crowd'.

Criticize Russia and China all you want but at least they are not hypocrites
- Any forums from those countries would admit to being censored and controlled
- Why don't you admit to the same thing?

All forums have some limitations to content and use different ways to control
those who post on their forums.

So why don't you start allowing for negative points
- that should fit your paradigm well.

As for me, and to use a saying of a popular poster I've seen on line:

I'm "TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS" !!!

"
Sometimes I am a collector of data, and only a collector, and am likely to be gross and miserly, piling up notes, pleased with merely numerically adding to my stores. Other times I have joys, when unexpectedly coming upon an outrageous story that may not be altogether a lie, or upon a macabre little thing that may make some reviewer of my more or less good works mad. But always there is present a feeling of unexplained relations of events that I note, and it is this far-away, haunting, or often taunting, awareness, or suspicion, that keeps me piling on."

-Charles Fort

"
One can't learn much and also be comfortable One can't learn much and let anybody else be comfortable"

- Charles Fort

"
A procession of the damned. By the damned, I mean the excluded. We shall have a procession of data that Science has excluded.

-Charles Fort

It's a bad business and it would pain me to do it, but do you mean to say that you would you like me to close your account?

As we're pissing all over Charles Fort's sofa and stuff.

More generally, this is a community, not a billboard rental service. None of your posts has been censored to my knowledge, we're just asking you not to be obnoxious.

Get back to me about that first point.

NO - What you need is to stop calling yourselves a Charles Fort forum
- You insult the name of Charles Fort and seem diametrically opposed to his way of
thinking - And yes he was a thinker - Something that disturbs too many people
on this forum.

You've gotten rid of most, if not all of them as the attitude of your insiders is

Criticize Russia and China all you want but at least they are not hypocrites
- Any forums from those countries would admit to being censored and controlled
- Why don't you admit to the same thing?

All forums have some limitations to content and use different ways to control
those who post on their forums.

So why don't you start allowing for negative points
- that should fit your paradigm well.

As for me, and to use a saying of a popular poster I've seen on line:

I'm "TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS" !!!

"
Sometimes I am a collector of data, and only a collector, and am likely to be gross and miserly, piling up notes, pleased with merely numerically adding to my stores. Other times I have joys, when unexpectedly coming upon an outrageous story that may not be altogether a lie, or upon a macabre little thing that may make some reviewer of my more or less good works mad. But always there is present a feeling of unexplained relations of events that I note, and it is this far-away, haunting, or often taunting, awareness, or suspicion, that keeps me piling on."

-Charles Fort

"
One can't learn much and also be comfortable One can't learn much and let anybody else be comfortable"

- Charles Fort

"
A procession of the damned. By the damned, I mean the excluded. We shall have a procession of data that Science has excluded.

-Charles Fort
Note that I wasn't attacking you or any point you were making, I was just pointing out that there could be a catch-all thread for certain stuff.

Thanks for including my humourous quip ...
....in your tirade railing against forum members Alien View.

Apparently you seem of the notion that we here are all some kind of assembled 'club', closed to outsiders, like some kind of sneering FT private 'old gentlemans' establishment.

As in your couple of lines;

I've never heard such a 100% cast iron load of horse crap in my life pal.
Generally there are many different viewpoints from many different people in here, and we are able to discuss our differences like sensible adults.
I don't personally know anyone who posts to these forums, besides what I know of them through reading their posts.

I've read a lot of your posts with interest, (albeit a tad difficult because of the way you format them) and I might disagree with some of what you say, and I might agree with other things you say, but I can't agree with your views about these forums and how they are run.

If you find that you feel like you need to angrily attack those here and the way things are run then maybe it isn't the place for you?

Then try this from:

"The Moscow Times"
{Independent News from Russia} {so they say}

Russia Touts ‘Promising’ Coronavirus Drug in Early Trials

"Early clinical trials of an antiviral drug in Russia have given “promising” results in treating the new coronavirus, a joint venture announced Wednesday as Russia faced mounting Covid-19 cases.

Of 40 coronavirus patients who took a favipiravir pill, 60% tested negative for Covid-19 within five days compared to 30% in the control group, according to the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) and the ChemRar biotechnology firm. Favipiravir works by blocking the ability of a virus to replicate inside a cell. ........"

See whole article here:
https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020...ising-coronavirus-drug-in-early-trials-a70270

And before you knock it for coming from Russia
- What would you think if it came from China?
Just because China is presently in the dog house doesn't mean Russia has suddenly becomes a reliable source of info. The firehose of falsehood is still in operation.
Doctors are just the same as lawyers; the only difference is that lawyers merely rob you, whereas doctors rob you and kill you too.
Anton Chekhov, 1860-1904, Russian writer

It is the duty of a doctor to prolong life and it is not his duty to prolong the act of dying.
Bill Vaughan, 1915-1977, American journalist
Great quotes. Chekhov was quite the wit. It reminds me of Samuel Johnson's:
“Being in a ship is like being in jail, with the chance of being drowned.”

Which looks like sound advice given what happened to Princess Line cruise ships during Covid-19. Would you go on a cruise in the near future? Even after C-19 eventually ends ? I did an cruise line lecture tour once, and served as an guest lecturer, pandering to the "intellectual snobs" among the passengers for 6 months, back in 2011. I got the ship's flu, and was all but dead on my feet for a fortnight. I wasn't 100% fit until the following year. It may well have been a form of coronavirus for all I know, given what I went thru. With all those passengers cooped together in a big metal superstructure, cruise liners are a hotbed of disease.

None of your posts has been censored to my knowledge, we're just asking you not to be obnoxious.
I can confirm that your posts remain intact.
The vast majority moved on of their own accord when a new forum was established. We did warn a couple for flaming etc, but above all we extended a welcome to you all.

Yithian has asked you a question directly, in the post to which I've linked at the beginning of the post. If you would be so kind to reply.

I did an cruise line lecture tour once, and served as an guest lecturer, pandering to the "intellectual snobs" among the passengers for 6 months, back in 2011. I got the ship's flu, and was all but dead on my feet for a fortnight. I wasn't 100% fit until the following year.

Screenshot 2020-06-06 at 16.42.30.png
Screenshot 2020-06-06 at 16.42.51.png

Adapting prior research and advice on conspiracy theories in other contexts, these university researchers have developed examples and a guide on conspiracy-focused thinking in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic.
How to Spot COVID-19 Conspiracy Theories

The COVID-19 pandemic is a fertile breeding ground for conspiracy theories. When people suffer a loss of control or feel threatened, they become more vulnerable to believing conspiracies. For example, the Black Death in the 14th century inspired anti-Semitic hysteria and when cholera broke out in Russia in 1892, blame fell on doctors and crowds hunted down anybody in a white coat.

How do we avoid being misled by baseless conspiracy theories? Conspiracy theories are identified by telltale thought patterns. Learning these patterns is key to inoculating ourselves and society against the corrosive influence of conspiracy theories. The seven traits of conspiratorial thinking are:

As some states start relaxing their social distancing measures, experts expect this will unfortunately lead to a spike in COVID-19 infections. We also expect that as the number of infections rise, so will the conspiracy theories. Fortunately, there is a way we can inoculate the public against this type of misinformation - by learning the traits of conspiratorial thinking.

How to Spot COVID-19 Conspiracy Theories, authored by Stephan Lewandowsky, John Cook, Ullrich Ecker, and Sander van der Linden, looks at possible examples of COVID-19 conspiracy theories, and identifies how they illustrate the seven traits of conspiratorial thinking, ...

To learn more about the research into conspiracy theories and how to counter them, see the Conspiracy Theory Handbook by Stephan Lewandowsky and John Cook.

SOURCE:
https://www.climatechangecommunication.org/how-to-spot-covid19-conspiracy-theories/

DOWNLOAD "How to Spot COVID-19 Conspiracy Theories" (PDF File):
https://www.climatechangecommunicat.../How-to-Spot-COVID-19-Conspiracy-Theories.pdf

To be fair this is mainly about becoming seasick, and not so much about the ghastly lurgies that lurk aboard.

While we are on the topic of epic sea voyage complaints, does everybody who disembarks for a day in Valparaiso get mugged, or just half of them? Inquiring minds need to know. Also, a shout out to anyone on the forum to speak up about being mugged in Valparaiso if it has happened to you too. I think it should be a meme, because it is certainly a trope and a cliche. Needless to say, I too was mugged in Valparaiso, being foolish enough to disembark while still quite ill, I lost a month's pay to boot.

To be fair this is mainly about becoming seasick, and not so much about the ghastly lurgies that lurk aboard.

While we are on the topic of epic sea voyage complaints, does everybody who disembarks for a day in Valparaiso get mugged, or just half of them? Inquiring minds need to know. Also, a shout out to anyone on the forum to speak up about being mugged in Valparaiso if it has happened to you too. I think it should be a meme, because it is certainly a trope and a cliche. Needless to say, I too was mugged in Valparaiso, being foolish enough to disembark while still quite ill, I lost a month's pay to boot.

Reminds me of the odds of having your pocket picked in Sleazy Brindisi.

Someone is going to get killed at this rate.

Villagers in the Huancavelica region of Peru are detaining eight technicians who were repairing an antenna, over fears their work would spread Covid-19.

The villagers mistakenly believed that the workers - who had come to fix a wireless antenna - were installing 5G technology in the area. False claims linking 5G to coronavirus have been widely shared online. Scientists say a connection between the two is biologically impossible. The workers have not yet been released.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-53021239

Proven! Captain America predicted coronavirus!

See here!

Oh, wait, when I said "Proven!" I meant the opposite of that. If you can't find the energy to click the link, basically people are getting bored watching the same things over and over and are starting to notice the background, and letting their imaginations run riot.

See here!

Oh, wait, when I said "Proven!" I meant the opposite of that. If you can't find the energy to click the link, basically people are getting bored watching the same things over and over and are starting to notice the background, and letting their imaginations run riot.

I have been looking through my old Beano annuals in lockdown and I'm pretty certain that Roger Dodger has links to the Illuminati and NWO.

letting their imaginations run riot.
For a second because I'm tired I thought you said "letting their imaginations run idiot", which strikes me as a perfect turn of phrase I must immediately adopt.

Last edited:

See here!

LOL. It was Big Pasta wot did it.
What was one of the first things to sell out in panic buying? Pasta
Which country was one of the worst hit initially? Italy

Oh it's all coming out now;)

The first time my wife treated me to a birthday break in Rome (which I thoroughly enjoyed) was in February. Examined for fever on arrival, we left while the northern states were being isolated.
Wife had a sniffle, managed to get a test and found clear.
When s**t got real here, we both felt ... guilty? By association?

That's the thing about conspiracies - any conspiracy.
Some folks just can't get their heads around the idea that s**t sometimes just happens, that our rulers aren't actually as competent and fit to govern as they tell us and, finally, the proven existence of past conspiracies doesn't legitimise all theories but shows the conspiracies weren't that efficient at covering up; otherwise we'd not have evidence of their existence.
Covid-19 came into being somehow. It's origins should be examined. But the existence of the virus - or even the location of it's first outbreak - isn't proof of some conspiracy. If it is the result of some government or corporation activity then evidence must be identified and presented as fact.

The first time my wife treated me to a birthday break in Rome (which I thoroughly enjoyed) was in February. Examined for fever on arrival, we left while the northern states were being isolated.
Wife had a sniffle, managed to get a test and found clear.
When s**t got real here, we both felt ... guilty? By association?

That's the thing about conspiracies - any conspiracy.
Some folks just can't get their heads around the idea that s**t sometimes just happens, that our rulers aren't actually as competent and fit to govern as they tell us and, finally, the proven existence of past conspiracies doesn't legitimise all theories but shows the conspiracies weren't that efficient at covering up; otherwise we'd not have evidence of their existence.
Covid-19 came into being somehow. It's origins should be examined. But the existence of the virus - or even the location of it's first outbreak - isn't proof of some conspiracy. If it is the result of some government or corporation activity then evidence must be identified and presented as fact.

Yeah we've talked about this for the last 40 odd pages:D and it's been ongoing since. Some folk just need it to be one big bad conspiracy.

Yeah we've talked about this for the last 40 odd pages:D and it's been ongoing since. Some folk just need it to be one big bad conspiracy.

Oh, I dunno about that. Wherever it came from, whenever, and whatever it is, we can argue about that forever.
However, what I'm certain of is that we, the little shitmunchers, aren't being told all that They know, even if it's that their scientists are going round in circles, that They know absolutely fuck-all, and are busking their way through it. That makes it a Conspiracy of silence, and that's definitely "one big bad conspiracy", as far as I'm concerned.

It's less of a conspiracy surrounding the creation/release/escape of the virus and more the conspiracy to cover-up incompetence ... which sounds quite plausible.
I've always been of a mind that having seen governments come and go, read up on various histories and revelations, that most governments are not that great at running countries using their own departmental bureaucracies, let alone massive international cover-ups involving thousands of individuals. Trying to cover-up cock-ups is seen on a frequent basis. So much so, it's self-evident; they've been uncovered so the cover-up wasn't that great in the first place.
I've no doubt some conspiracies exist but whether they will never be revealed is a different matter. I don't doubt a government's dishonesty - I doubt it's efficiency.

Ah, the joys of sourcing all my meat from local farms and butchers.
I sense the re-emergence of the blame game towards Chinese food markets.

This is amusing.
Just as I was typing this response, my wife brought in a letter just delivered. It's from Imperial College and bears the approval of The Department of Health and Social Care, Ipsos MORI and the NHS.
It's inviting me to "participate in a COVID-19 in-home antibody testing research study".
  • It claims to "help the Government develop it's approach to COVID-19 antibody testing". Umm. Shouldn't that approach be already decided upon as soon as Hopalong Hancock announced how many they'd be doing?
  • This study is entirely voluntary and I was selected at random from the NHS patient list. So will this test count towards the governments false figures of how many tests they've done?
  • It helpfully points out that the antibody test is not 100% accurate (statement issued from the Department of Blindingly Obvious). It goes on to state "this means that although the test is not accurate enough to confirm whether or not an individual has had COVID-19, this research will allow us to estimate how many people in England have already been infected with the virus." Now, I'm not big in scientific data analysis but doesn't these words mean that they want to base an estimation on research that's not reliable?
I've already decided to take part but that I was interacting with a message board thread concerning COVID-19 conspiracies when I got the letter made me think. Coincidence or ...
Have I enough tin foil in the kitchen to make a fetching Homburg? :hide:

Back