• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Conspiracy Theories & Claims

Unless they brought a sample of the virus in from the wild and it accidentally spread while they were studying it.

I think this is the mostl likely explanation, a cock-up not a big old Dr Evil plan. Remember when Foot & Mouth disease accidentally got out of the labs at Pirbright? Something like that.

Unless they brought a sample of the virus in from the wild and it accidentally spread while they were studying it.
Even so, it was apparently being handled by the Chinese military. Which gives it more than a whiff of suspicion.

Got home from work today to find the following leaflet pushed through my letterbox.
F0D70941-B29B-4E0D-B9BC-8D46F5B38DAE.jpeg
98449291-267F-48D9-B999-EB01FFA020E6.jpeg

Got home from work today to find the following leaflet pushed through my letterbox.

This ScienceAlert article (reprinted from Business Insider) provides additional facts, none of which cast the Yan claims in a better light ...
Scientists Call That New Paper About Intentional Release of SARS-CoV-2 "Poppycock"

A strange new paper claiming the coronavirus was a "laboratory product" quietly made its way into a repository of preliminary research on Monday.

"The laboratory creation of this coronavirus is convenient and can be accomplished in approximately six months," the paper's authors, four Chinese virologists who fled to the US earlier this year, wrote.

Li-Meng Yan, the lead author, went a step further in a Tuesday interview with the Fox News host Tucker Carlson.

She told Carlson that her government had "intentionally" released the "man-made virus" - comments that echoed a fringe conspiracy theory that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and President Donald Trump alluded to in May.

But a closer look at Yan and her coauthors' work shows they're affiliated with a pair of nonprofits based in New York City, the Rule of Law Society and the Rule of Law Foundation, that were led by the former Trump strategist Steve Bannon before his arrest in August.

Neither organisation has any history of publishing scientific or medical research, and the new paper has not been peer-reviewed by other scientists. ...

Other experts were quick to speak out against the claims in Yan's paper.

Carl Bergstrom, a University of Washington biologist who first noticed the paper's connection to Bannon, called the research "bizarre and unfounded."

There's no evidence supporting the theory that the new coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, was genetically engineered. A March study concluded based on genetic analysis that the coronavirus wasn't a hodgepodge of existing coronaviruses, as Yan and other supporters of the theory have suggested.

Those researchers wrote that their work indicated that it "is not a laboratory construct or a purposefully manipulated virus," adding that "the genetic data irrefutably show that SARS-CoV-2 is not derived from any previously used virus backbone."

On Tuesday, the lead author of that study, Kristian Andersen, said Yan's group had cherry-picked data in support of their conclusion, adding that it was "poppycock dressed up as 'science.'" ...

Twitter, which has a strict policy on tweets containing disputed claims about COVID-19, suspended Yan's account this week.

FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/chines...sed-she-works-for-a-group-led-by-steve-bannon

F**cking their economies because they thought it would be fun.
It has certainly made it possible for wealthy individuals to buy more shares. Profits down... Wall Street up!

It has certainly made it possible for wealthy individuals to buy more shares. Profits down... Wall Street up!

They can keep it floating for the moment but I imagine stock markets are in for their biggest ever fall in the near future.

What I have noticed in the last few weeks is that when I go out I come back
with a slightly irritated throat, I don't tend to suffer from imagination and
have asked quite a few people I know and all except one have had the same,
so if it is real and not imagination/autosuggestion, do you get the same?
I suspect it's all the antibacterial wash people are splashing about but only
guessing, what do you think? just in the mind?
I seem to have had a mild sore throat, sniffles and sneezes all year.

Courtesy of Auntie Beeb...
Coronavirus: Donald Trump and Melania test positive

"US President Donald Trump has said he and First Lady Melania Trump have tested positive for coronavirus and are now in quarantine.

The president, aged 74 and therefore in a high-risk group, announced the news in a tweet. "We will get through this together," he wrote.

It comes after one of his closest aides tested positive for coronavirus.

Hope Hicks, the 31-year-old adviser to the president, was the closest aide to Mr Trump to test positive so far.

She travelled with him on Air Force One to the first presidential TV debate with Democratic rival Joe Biden in Ohio on Tuesday. Some of Mr Trump's family members who attended the debate were seen not wearing masks."

==========================

Is he faking it? Is it a ploy to get him out of campaigning after his disastrous debate performance? Is he going to have a miracle cure which he will then flog to his credulous followers?

Is he in fact just a 74 year old man who now has a life threatening condition?

Let the storm, commence!

NOTE: Edited by author due to inappropriate language.

Last edited:
Courtesy of Autie Beeb...

"US President Donald Trump has said he and First Lady Melania Trump have tested positive for coronavirus and are now in quarantine.

The president, aged 74 and therefore in a high-risk group, announced the news in a tweet. "We will get through this together," he wrote.

Hope Hicks, the 31-year-old adviser to the president, was the closest aide to Mr Trump to test positive so far.

She travelled with him on Air Force One to the first presidential TV debate with Democratic rival Joe Biden in Ohio on Tuesday. Some of Mr Trump's family members who attended the debate were seen not wearing masks."

Is he faking it? Is it a ploy to get him our of campaigning after his disastrous debate performance? Is he going to have a miracle cure which he will then flog to his credulous followers?

Is he in fact an idiotic 74 year old man who now has a life threatening condition?

Let the storm, commence!

This is the first and last time that we will tolerate insults. They simply beget counter-insults and drag us all down into the slurry.

Yes, he and his wife now have Covid-19--as has been noted across three threads in the past few hours.

Please discuss that fact without the accusations of idiocy, please.

Courtesy of Autie Beeb...

Is he faking it? Is it a ploy to get him our of campaigning after his disastrous debate performance? Is he going to have a miracle cure which he will then flog to his credulous followers?

Is he in fact an idiotic 74 year old man who now has a life threatening condition?

Let the storm, commence!
Good guestion.

Posted 14 days ago...

I don't think it's much of a stretch to believe a leader who holds maskless rallies and frowns on mask use in The White House would contract the virus. Maybe he wasn't washing his hands either. It's a pity everything to do with this disease is being turned into a conspiracy.

I'm waiting for the conspiracy theorists claiming that Trump was deliberately infected by the Democrats, the Deep State, Antifa, and/or China. It's only a matter of time.... I
I've seen those theories presented on right wing conspiracy theory sites already.

I don't think it's much of a stretch to believe a leader who holds maskless rallies and frowns on mask use in The White House would contract the virus. Maybe he wasn't washing his hands either. It's a pity everything to do with this disease is being turned into a conspiracy.

My favourite conspiracy so far it's that it's all a hoax so they can keep us indoors whilst they put new batteries in the birds...

Just want to make it clear that I don't believe that theory. :rollingw:

Back