• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Creepy Bus

Psychology students are told a story of a bus driver who gets bored and drops off his passengers at a mental health facility, who are then admitted as patients and have the devil of a job regaining their freedom. Nobody believes their story of being kidnapped and dumped.

Can't be true, but the idea is to illustrate the problem of stereotyping people with mental health problems; basically, they are seen as unreliable witnesses.

That's probably based on the famous Rosenhan experiment https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosenhan_experiment which later became the epic On being sane in insane places, (always worth a read). Basically, a team of researchers feigned mental illness to get admitted and had a terrible time getting out of the institutions.

That's probably based on the famous Rosenhan experiment https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosenhan_experiment which later became the epic On being sane in an insane place, (always worth a read). Basically, a team of researchers feigned mental illness to get admitted and had a devil of a time getting out of the institutions.

Ah yup, the real deal, I remember that.

The Psychopath Test has a chapter on a bloke who reckons he's done the same to get out of a prison sentence but has spent more time detained in a psychiatric hospital than the sentence he would have served.

Reminds me of the driver of a truck transporting a crane when the jib came loose. It swung out and hit a car, killing someone, and the driver had a breakdown and has been unfit to plead ever since.

Ah yup, the real deal, I remember that.

The Psychopath Test has a chapter on a bloke who reckons he's done the same to get out of a prison sentence but has spent more time detained in a psychiatric hospital than the sentence he would have served.

Reminds me of the driver of a truck transporting a crane when the jib came loose. It swung out and hit a car, killing someone, and the driver had a breakdown and has been unfit to plead ever since.

That's actually fairly common in forensic mental health settings as being detained doesn't have a time limit that a sentence does. Also, many people can be "cured" and then returned to prison to finish out their sentences.

That's actually fairly common in forensic mental health settings as being detained doesn't have a time limit that a sentence does. Also, many people can be "cured" and then returned to prison to finish out their sentences.

Yup, one suspects being 'cured' and sent to prison is a worse proposition to some than staying in the hospital. Even though they'll never be released.

Back