• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Cult Who Worship Jaws

lordmongrove

Justified & Ancient
This is probably bollocks but it's just too good not to post.

"Proponents believe this shark as well as the other sharks depicted in the sequels possessed supernatural powers and could not have been destroyed, in much the same way Jason in the 'Friday the thirteenth' film series could not. There are also rumors that pagan worshipers who believe there is a direct relation to the occult, make midnight trips to the site of the junkyard where the current last remaining 'Bruce' shark (JYB) exists. There they purportedly sing sea shanties and drink apricot brandy hoping to re-awaken the beast."

http://jaws.wikia.com/wiki/Bruce_(Shark)?li_source=LI&li_medium=wikia-footer-wiki-rec

This is probably bollocks but it's just too good not to post.

"Proponents believe this shark as well as the other sharks depicted in the sequels possessed supernatural powers and could not have been destroyed, in much the same way Jason in the 'Friday the thirteenth' film series could not. There are also rumors that pagan worshipers who believe there is a direct relation to the occult, make midnight trips to the site of the junkyard where the current last remaining 'Bruce' shark (JYB) exists. There they purportedly sing sea shanties and drink apricot brandy hoping to re-awaken the beast."

http://jaws.wikia.com/wiki/Bruce_(Shark)?li_source=LI&li_medium=wikia-footer-wiki-rec
That bit sounds like something the junkyard owner made up.

I'm officially registered as a Jedi as my religion so good luck to them !

Drinking buddies constitute a cult, now?

Perhaps we need a new internet rule "If it exists, someone will base a religion on it."

Jawsus wept.

(Gospel of Quint, chapter 11, verse 35)

I tell you what, though - it would make the parable of the loaves and fishes a bit more interesting.

I'll just take the bread thanks. No, no - it's fine; I'll just stay over here out of the way. Just throw it to me.

Sorry? What if I drop it? S'okay, honestly - just a bit of dirt - three second rule and all that.

LOOK OUT! Oooo, that looks like it's going to sting a bit. Erm...can you throw left handed?

... "Proponents believe this shark as well as the other sharks depicted in the sequels possessed supernatural powers and could not have been destroyed ... There are also rumors that pagan worshipers who believe there is a direct relation to the occult, make midnight trips to the site of the junkyard where the current last remaining 'Bruce' shark (JYB) exists. There they purportedly sing sea shanties and drink apricot brandy hoping to re-awaken the beast."

The fourth (last; post film) 'Bruce' shark was donated to the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures in LA a few years ago. Now fully restored, it's been hung in the museum's new building.
Bruce, the last ‘Jaws’ shark, docks at the Academy Museum

Bruce, the fiberglass shark made from the “Jaws” mold, is ready for his close-up. The 1,208 pound, 25-foot-long, 45-year-old shark, famous for being difficult to work with on the set of Steven Spielberg’s classic thriller, on Friday was hoisted up in the air above the main escalator of the new Academy Museum of Motion Pictures in Los Angeles where he will greet guests for the foreseeable future. And this time, he cooperated.

It is the culmination of years of planning, including a seven-month restoration by special effects and makeup artist Greg Nicotero. The shark is expected to be a major draw for the museum, which plans to open its doors to the public on April 30, 2021. ...

Super fans know that the “Jaws” crew started calling the shark Bruce after Spielberg’s lawyer Bruce Ramer. They’ll also know that the Bruce that will greet guests in the museum wasn’t technically in “Jaws.” He’s a replica and it’s the last of his kind. The three mechanical Great Whites designed by art director Joe Alves were destroyed when production wrapped. But once the film proved to be a box office phenomenon, a fourth shark was made from the original mold. For 15 years he hung at Universal Studios Hollywood as a photo opportunity for visitors until he wound up at the Sun Valley junkyard he would call home for the next 25. Nathan Adlan, who inherited his father’s junkyard business, donated him to the museum in 2016. ...

FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/bruce-jaws-shark-docks-at-academy-museum-264636d1725cf8daad9ec71c71b67a67

From deep in the memory recesses: as a kid I read books or comics in which the "Indians" (native Americans) worshipped "the great white manitou". Shurely shome relation?

I looked it up today. "Manitou" is a universal life force in the beliefs of the Algonquian language group of native Americans. Today a Google search for "great white manitou" produced only 6 results, and I suspect that the word "white" appeared so often in the books/comics I was reading in the late 1960s for the same reason that Lord Greystoke "naturally" rose to the top in the African jungle.

When checking the spelling of Greystoke, I found there really is a Greystoke castle, and that for two periods in history there has been a Baron Greystoke, although the title died out long before the Tarzan stories were written.

Anyway, back to the Jaws cult, I wonder if their lord and saviour could "rays" the dead? I don't want to think too much about their total immersion Baptism ceremony...

Ohhhh. The shark, the one in the movie and book that stole the original true story away from New Jersey.

Here I thought you meant the big guy with metal teeth in the Bond films.

Perhaps Spielberg might become their High Priest to atone for his sins.

Director Steven Spielberg has said he "truly regrets" the decimation of the shark population following the success of the Oscar-winning film Jaws.

He told BBC Radio 4's Desert Island Discs he fears sharks are "mad" at him for "the feeding frenzy of crazy sword fishermen that happened after 1975".

The film has been blamed for misrepresenting great whites and leading to trophy hunting in the US.
Spielberg also discussed his childhood and new film in the programme.

The 75-year-old American is known for many Hollywood blockbusters including E.T., Schindler's List and Jurassic Park.

Asked how he felt about the sea around his desert island being inhabited by sharks, Spielberg told the programme: "That's one of the things I still fear."

Clarifying it was not a fear of being eaten, the director said the impact to the shark population is something "I truly and to this day regret".

The 1975 film Jaws tells the story of a great white shark that attacks a US seaside town, which influenced a rise in sports fishing across America. Research has suggested the number of large sharks fell along the eastern seaboard of North America in the years following its release. ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-64011888

No he doesnt.

(But Benchley was the conservationist, wasnt he?)

and shark demonisation (and willful persecution as opposed to mere trophy hunting) has been going on before then?

If anyone gets the chance to see the play "The Shark Is Broken" about the making of Jaws, please do.
It's excellent.

Not in the theatre at present from what I can tell, but might get another run.

https://thesharkisbroken.com/news/

https://thesharkisbroken.com/robert-shaws-son-revisits-jaws-stormy-shoot-in-the-shark-is-broken/

I went to see it at the Ambassadors Theatre not far off exactly a year ago. Unfortunately, it was the understudy paying Robert Shaw that night, rather than Ian Shaw. He didn't make a bad job of it, but I felt he lacked anything like the presence of a Robert Shaw - but then, it's a very big presence to fill.

As it was that night, not the best thing I've seen on a stage - but still definitely worth a punt.

I went to see it at the Ambassadors Theatre not far off exactly a year ago. Unfortunately, it was the understudy paying Robert Shaw that night, rather than Ian Shaw. He didn't make a bad job of it, but I felt he lacked anything like the presence of a Robert Shaw

He was impressive.
Looks a lot like him too.

Back