• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
If the mom is supposedly so out of focus to make her powder blue dress completely white, then the long distance to the Chapelcross Nuclear Plant in the background should be a complete blur and indistinguishable.
Well, I daresay that if what was in the distance was , for example, a church spire, that would be true.

Something as big and blocky as the cooling towers does show, although if one didn't have a good idea what they were due to location etc. I doubt one could guess. There are hints of other things in the distance, but it is indeed - as you say - impossible to tell what they were.

If the mom is supposedly so out of focus to make her powder blue dress completely white, then the long distance to the Chapelcross Nuclear Plant in the background should be a complete blur and indistinguishable.

I do respect all the given opinions, thanks.
As previously stated, the dress showing as white is not because it is out of focus but because it is over exposed.

This photograph is featured on the latest episode of the 'Mysterious Universe' podcast:

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/listen

... and a bloody good episode it is too.

They talk about the explanation provided here i.e. that it is the mother in her dress and that it appears white because the photo is overexposed. However, they counter that with an observation that the shoulders are very broad for a female, and in fact the partial image of the mother we do have shows her to be rather slender.

So is this a valid counter to the explanation that I have certainly bought into...? Could someone with better IT skills than me maybe measure her shoulders in the partial image we have of her and compare this to the 'spaceman'?

This photograph is featured on the latest episode of the 'Mysterious Universe' podcast:

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/listen

... and a bloody good episode it is too.

They talk about the explanation provided here i.e. that it is the mother in her dress and that it appears white because the photo is overexposed. However, they counter that with an observation that the shoulders are very broad for a female, and in fact the partial image of the mother we do have shows her to be rather slender.

So is this a valid counter to the explanation that I have certainly bought into...? Could someone with better IT skills than me maybe measure her shoulders in the partial image we have of her and compare this to the 'spaceman'?
That is, in my view, simply an illusion. Don't forget the mother was standing on an incline, and the sun was shining brightly on her 'light blue' dress, and appearing oddly to begin with, standing somewhat slanted on that uphill. She appears larger and closer to the camera than she actually is.
For me, the 'cap sleeves' and evidence of a bra, coupled with the tightness down to the waist of her dress, cinches it for me. She also had dark hair.

That is, in my view, simply an illusion. Don't forget the mother was standing on an incline, and the sun was shining brightly on her 'light blue' dress, and appearing oddly to begin with, standing somewhat slanted on that uphill. She appears larger and closer to the camera than she actually is.
For me, the 'cap sleeves' and evidence of a bra, coupled with the tightness down to the waist of her dress, cinches it for me. She also had dark hair.
I agree, but do we have any photos of Jim with his wife taken at a later date?

Edit: photo of Jim and Annie in this case report:

https://jamesaconrad.com/media/Solway-Spaceman-photo.html

Last edited:
I agree, but do we have any photos of Jim with his wife taken at a later date?

Edit: photo of Jim and Annie in this case report:

https://jamesaconrad.com/media/Solway-Spaceman-photo.html
That is a very interesting site that you posted -
On reading it in more detail, I notice that the author wanted to a) speak with Frances Templeton, little Elizabeth's sister who was also present that day, to ask her what she recalls about this, and b) see another photo of Annie Templeton in that blue dress, as well as all the other photos taken that day on that roll of film.
That would have helped the whole investigation.

That is a very interesting site that you posted -
On reading it in more detail, I notice that the author wanted to a) speak with Frances Templeton, little Elizabeth's sister who was also present that day, to ask her what she recalls about this, and b) see another photo of Annie Templeton in that blue dress, as well as all the other photos taken that day on that roll of film.
That would have helped the whole investigation.
Another strange fact is that the two 'official' men who came to see Jim and took him to the location only to abandon him refereed to each other as numbers rather than names. If anyone has watched the iconic 'The Prisoner' ITV series this is how the officials in suits also refer to themselves, but the tv show came out in 1967 and Jim took the photo three years earlier. Did he add in the story about the two men at a later date to add some spice to what he knew was a fortuitous fluke of a photo?

Another strange fact is that the two 'official' men who came to see Jim and took him to the location only to abandon him refereed to each other as numbers rather than names. If anyone has watched the iconic 'The Prisoner' ITV series this is how the officials in suits also refer to themselves, but the tv show came out in 1967 and Jim took the photo three years earlier. Did he add in the story about the two men at a later date to add some spice to what he knew was a fortuitous fluke of a photo?
So you believe Jim Templeton realized it was his wife in the photo?

Have you ever seen a photo of yourself, from the back? I have frequently failed to identify even myself from the back, simply because it's a view I don't often get. And from recent explorations into minor fame, I have found that the way one stands can have awful, dreadful and horrific implications for the way one looks in a picture. Arms are often flabbier from behind and (as in this photo) if you stand slightly at an angle with arms slightly back, it can make the shoulders look a lot wider. (Also, keep arms away from your sides if you don't want them to look like two enormous sides of ham...)

Have you ever seen a photo of yourself, from the back? I have frequently failed to identify even myself from the back, simply because it's a view I don't often get. And from recent explorations into minor fame, I have found that the way one stands can have awful, dreadful and horrific implications for the way one looks in a picture. Arms are often flabbier from behind and (as in this photo) if you stand slightly at an angle with arms slightly back, it can make the shoulders look a lot wider. (Also, keep arms away from your sides if you don't want them to look like two enormous sides of ham...)
LOLOL - I must agree, as I always check out my outfit from all sides before leaving the house, and am often horrified and change into something which looks better!
But I do wonder if Annie Templeton realized in the end that it was her in the photo, and therefore stayed mostly away from photographers, etc. There seem to be many photos of Jim, none of her.

Because I work on a till, I see a LOT of people walking away from me (it's the shop layout, honest, they aren't trying to get away from me). And I think an awful lot of people NEVER see themselves from behind. It's the only excuse for some of the godawful clothing choices.

In 1996, the grown up little girl, Elizabeth Templeton Dobson, told Dumfries Courier that she took a lot of hassle through the years from the famous picture.

Elizabeth’s answer to all is there is a lot a wasted space if we are the only ones in universe, so she would like to believe in aliens.

The most strangeness of all is the Blue Streak Missile was built at RAF Spadeadam just a few miles from the Templeton's picture taking event.

A Blue Streak Missile test in Woonera, South Australia was stopped as the same alien as in Elizabeth’s photograph was spotted next to the missile launch site.

How much weirder can it be ?

So you believe Jim Templeton realized it was his wife in the photo?
There was some evidence from his fire brigade (as was) colleagues that he was bit of a joker. I do believe he eventually realised it was actually his wife, however the photo was simply 'too good' (i.e. people saw a spaceman not his wife) to not go with the "no idea what it can be" version.

That said, when anyone comes forward with an opinion or fact that challenges the theory it was his wife then it deserves to be aired

There was some evidence from his fire brigade (as was) colleagues that he was bit of a joker. I do believe he eventually realised it was actually his wife, however the photo was simply 'too good' (i.e. people saw a spaceman not his wife) to not go with the "no idea what it can be" version.

That said, when anyone comes forward with an opinion or fact that challenges the theory it was his wife then it deserves to be aired
It would be wonderful to hear from some photographic experts who might have a different take on this photo. :)

The most strangeness of all is the Blue Streak Missile was built at RAF Spadeadam just a few miles from the Templeton's picture taking event.

A Blue Streak Missile test in Woonera, South Australia was stopped as the same alien as in Elizabeth’s photograph was spotted next to the missile launch site.

How much weirder can it be ?
What was the Aliens reorted like in the Blue Missle case ?

Like I said even if the picture is not what it appears to be there are some strange coincidences and events associated with it

From what I have read, the aliens in Woonera, Australia were dressed as the same as the alien in the Cumberland spaceman photo.
In a ladies' sleeveless dress?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'm far from an habitual sceptic though , James Randi used to irritate the heck out of me, I just think this photo has been so comprehensively debunked that I can't follow the thought processes involved in thinking it's an alien. But those who do are of course entitled to their opinion.

I'm far from an habitual sceptic though , James Randi used to irritate the heck out of me, I just think this photo has been so comprehensively debunked that I can't follow the thought processes involved in thinking it's an alien. But those who do are of course entitled to their opinion.

I agree. If other aliens are wearing the same thing then the other aliens are also wearing a summer dress :)

Back