• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Curious Case Of The Von Sydow Murders

Ringo

I like to not get involved in these matters
In the end, an aristocrat, his maid, his cook, his son and his daughter-in-law are all dead. The murderer(s) are only suspected and the motives are totally unknown.

On the 7th of March 1932, Circuit Judge and Politician, Hjalmar Von Sydow was found dead in his luxury apartment on Norr Malärstrand, Stockholm. The discovery was made by his own 15 year-old daughter and her friend. The youngs girls had returned to the apartment to discover Fredrik and his wife, Ingun, were there cleaning a stain from the hallway carpet. The pair left shortly after. Once the girls opened the locked doors, they began to find bodies. They entered the Cook's bedroom first. Here they discovered the body of Von Sydow. Someone had beaten him to death. They also found the body of his Cook, (who was found dead sitting in a chair by the window). They later discovered a 3rd body, his Maid (found dead on the floor of Von Sydow's bedroom). All three had been bludgeoned to death.

The immediate suspects were obviously Von Sydow's son, Fredrik, and his wife Ingun. It was Ingun who, at the scene, had been cleaning a mark from the carpet. The Police issued an arrest warrant and circulated their information in the greater Stockholm area.

Meanwhile, Fredrik and Ingun were on the town. They travelled by taxi to a numeber of destinations. They first visited a friend, a competitive marksman. From this friend Fredrik borrowed a pistol. They then visited a nice restaurant in town, the tailors, a chemist, another restaurant and then enjoyed a visit to a café. They then travelled to a hotel in Uppsala where they entered the restaurant at 8pm. By now, the news of the murders had reached far and wide. The staff recognised the son of the famous politician and notified the Police. The pair left the restaurant before the Police could get there but then when the pair returned at 10pm, the Police were called again.

Upon entering the hotel, the Police directed the staff to discreetly ask the couple to meet them in the hallway. The pair went to the hallway and Ingun took a seat in a chair. Fredrik leaned over, whispered something into her ear and then as he kissed her on the lips, he pulled out the pistol and shot her in the temple. She died instantly. He then turned the gun on himself and shot himself in the head. He died shorty after of the self-inflicted gunshot wound.

It came to the attention of the Police that Fredrik had recently purchased a heavy iron bar and had carried it with his all day. This became the obvious suspected murder weapon. However, while they remain the chief suspects and the case has been declared a murder-suicide, there is no clear motive or evidence linking the pair to the murders other than Ingun cleaning up a stain. It later transpired that the murder weapon was probably a household clothing-iron which was missing from the crime scene and not an iron bar. The clothing iron was not found amongst the pair's possessions.

Some speculate that Fredrik had an expensive drug habit and that he had fought with this father over money. He did have his Father's wallet on him when the Police searched his body but it held only a samll amount of money by their standards.

Some say that Ingun had murdered the family and that Fredrik was unaware. Others speculate that Von Sydow's murder was ordered by Fredrik in order to get his inheritance. Others say that Fredrik owed money to some bad guys and had bought the iron bar as protection, before upgrading to a borrowed a pistol. Upon learning of his father's death, he had turned the pistol on his wife and himself from guilt.

The truth is that we will never know. Feel free to wildly speculate.

Sydowska_morden_1932a.jpg

They were both spotted cleaning a stain so suggests they both knew what was happening. Did Fredrik and his wife live at the house I wonder ? I thought it could be possibly a Folie a Deux.

Last edited:
They were both spotted cleaning a stain so suggests they both knew what was happening. Did Fredrik and his wife live at the house I wonder ? I thought it could be possibly a Folie a Deux.
It's fascinating, but I think the likely explanation is the obvious one.

No, they lived elsewhere. They also left behind a 3 year-old daughter, making their deaths even more tragic.

It is unclear what time they arrived at the apartment, if they arrived togther or seperately, or even how long they were there. In most accounts, it was Ingun who was rubbing the carpet, fueling speculation that Fredrik maybe was unaware of what had happened. Most the internal doors in the apartment were locked.

I would love to know what his last words to her were.

I'm sorry.
I love you.
Take this, you bitch!

The sparse account on WIKI: Von Sydow Murders

More interesting stuff in the background:

There is evidence to suggest that there was some sort of bad blood over Fredrik's and Ingun's marriage. Ingun came from divorced parents and Von Sydow disagreed with his son marrying such a woman.
It is unclear if Ingun knew that Fredrik had borrowed a pistol.
The couple (allegedly) dined on Oysters and champagne before the Police arrived. A victory dinner or a last supper?
When younger, Fredrik was caught in a house fire and had thrown himself out of a 3rd story window to escape the flames.
Fredrik's mother had died when he was a student. She had suffered from psychological problems leading some to believe that Fredrik too was not in the right frame of mind.

Any relation to Max Von Sydow?

I wondered that too. But there are many branches of the Von Sydow family in Sweden. This direct branch died off with the death of Hjalmar and his son, Fredrik. There were no other males left. They both left daughters. Hjalmar's daughter (Fredrik's sister) eventually took her husband's name whereas Fredrik and Ingun's daughter eventually reverted to her mother's maiden name in order to avoid any stigma. Which there was in 1930's Sweden. She was called "The Murderer's Child" in the press.

Back