• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Dark Crystal

I've heard positive things about the series, watched the first 10 minutes and one episode and got bored with Gelfling japes and bantz: as well as the uncanny valley, they have the issue of unexpressive faces not conveying emotion. May come back to it. if it is "successful", I use inverted commas, as it is hard to gauge the success of a Netflix series, I hope it leads to more puppet series, on Netflix or elsewhere.

Yeah, the Skeksis are definitely the main attraction rather than the Gelflings. Apart from Fizzgig, of course.

Got to Ep 4....pretty grim stuff.

(is this for kids?)

But it is nice to see a puppet show. And the Dark Crystal was the greatest puppet show ever.

Watched it all.

Gelfling are racist immature little shits who get what they deserve. (If you are a Woke snowflake who is sensitive to this, even in a fantasy setting, this show is not for you).

Even the educated one is a bigot. (Most are not educated).

(The gelfling who archived that library should be hung up next to the gelfling who said podlings needed baths...leave the poor podlings alone you scum).

(And they have a matriarchal society which tells us all sorts of things about their morality...lack of. I am wondering if the writers realised this nuance).

(The one gelfling we like is a hand kisser and we know what that means...)

Uncanny valley? Some scenes DO rely on expressions...(We never said that about the original...still, back then we knew it was a puppet show..)

Meta...a scene where some important backstory is imparted to our (yawning) Heroes via a puppet show...

(As I said, gelfling are kids. This is about their mental level).

Skeksis are correct in saying gelfling need to be ruled...But the Mystics do nothing to protect and educate them.

There is a smoking scene!

Jen...this is why your people failed.

Anyhow, Netflix cancelled this series...We cannot have Nice Things.

(Not even halucogenic berries).

Back