• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Death Of Dr David Kelly

KeyserXSoze

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Following protracted discussions, I've now copied all Kelly related material from the Iraq thread, and constructed this one from it. The original posts remain intact on the Iraq thread - we can now use this one to discuss Kelly. Stu.

Is it true that UK 'source' Mr Kelly has now gone missing?

MoD expert goes missing

The weapons expert named by the government as the possible source for a BBC report on Iraq has gone missing, police have said.

from the beeb

hmm - how suspicious is that?

Update:

Body found in Iraq expert search

Police searching for the weapons expert named as the possible source for a BBC story on Iraq say they have discovered a body.

:(

Dr. Kelly

What puzzles me is that although Dr. Kelly originally appeared to think that he might have been 'the mole', the select committee last week decided that he wasn't. On what evidence?

Out of common decency, Mr. Gilligan should reveal/be made to reveal his true source and put an end to this sorry mess for good.

H.

Body found at 0920 hrs about 5 miles from Dr. Kelly's home, according to BBC News24 at the moment. The odds don't look good for Dr. Kelly.

And something definitely smells. :(

Originally posted by Heather71
What puzzles me is that although Dr. Kelly originally appeared to think that he might have been 'the mole', the select committee last week decided that he wasn't. On what evidence?

On the evidence that Dr. Kelly said that there were things reported by Gilligan that he claimed he didn't recall telling him, but which he felt were accurate (such as the bit about the 'widespread opinion at the MoD that there was only a 30% chance of WsMD being found'). (This based on the most recent BBC bulletin on it, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of that opinion and its attribution.)

Why are they taking so long to identify the body? All they need is to get a member of his family to ID him.. unless something has happened to his face... :eek:

No hold on he works with the intelligence community, so they'll have his fingerprints on file. Unless something has happened to his hands... :eek:

Oh and they've already started the Suicide Spin... :hmph:

Look at the timing: The PM heads out of the country; Dr. Kelly goes for an "uncharacteristic" walk and winds up dead?

The writer in me says he was going to meet someone and the meeting proved fatal... :confused:

Weapons expert mystery

I'm not sure if this'd be better off in the conspiracy section, but it's quite unnerving regardless of where it belongs. It has echoes of the 80s when all those weapons and technology experts died in mysterious circumstances. No doubt (if the body IS his) they'll say it was a heart attack or something... but one always has to wonder....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3076801.stm

Body found in Iraq expert search

Police searching for the weapons expert named by the government as the possible source for a BBC story on Iraq say they have discovered a man's body.

The body was found at 0920 BST by a member of the police team searching for Dr David Kelly in a wooded area at Harrowdown Hill, near Faringdon, Oxfordshire, but has not yet been identified.

Government adviser Dr Kelly, 59, went missing from his home in Southmoor, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, at about 1500 BST on Thursday.

The body was found lying on the ground, a police spokeswoman said. She said items had been removed from Dr Kelly's house as they would in any missing person's inquiry.

The body was found around five miles from Dr Kelly's home.

Earlier this week, Dr Kelly denied being the BBC's main source for a story claiming Downing Street had "sexed up" a dossier about Iraqi weapons of mass destruction. He appeared before the Commons foreign affairs committee on Tuesday.

MPs on the committee reacted with shock and disbelief at news of Dr Kelly's disappearance.

His family had contacted the police when he failed to return home by 2345 BST on Thursday.

Tony Blair, who is heading to Japan after his speech to Congress in Washington, has been informed about the discovery of the body.

SEARCH FOR DAVID KELLY

1500 BST: Told wife going for a walk near their home
2345 BST: Police informed he is missing
Last seen: Clothed in off-white cotton shirt, blue jeans, brown shoes

Timeline: Row over BBC report

Huge media attention has been on Dr Kelly since the Ministry of Defence said he had admitted meeting Andrew Gilligan, the BBC correspondent behind the controversial Iraq story.

Mr Gilligan said a source had told him that the dossier on Iraq had been "sexed up" by Downing Street.

The BBC correspondent has refused to name his source, but the MoD said Dr Kelly had come forward to say it may have been him.

Acting superintendent Dave Purnell, of Thames Valley Police, speaking to reporters in Wantage, Oxfordshire, said: "We haven't ruled anything out yet. Clearly there are people at the scene now and there is no further information as to the body that has been found apart from to say it is a male.

"This is clearly a sensitive inquiry at the moment. The family of Dr David Kelly have been aware of what the police have been doing in relation to the search for him."

Superintendent Purnell said the search for Dr Kelly continued with the police helicopter and around 70 officers.

He said the official's family were aware that a body had been found. A police family liaison officer is with them.

Harrowdown Hill, where the body is found, is an area popular with walkers but "quite off the beaten track", he added.

Police say Dr Kelly is an avid walker and has good local knowledge of the many footpaths surrounding his home.

His disappearance and failure to make contact with anyone was described by his family as 'out of character'.

"He is not used to the media glare, he is not used to the intense spotlight he has been put under" Richard Ottaway, Tory MP

Initial searches of the house, outbuildings and grounds of the property were completed in the early hours of Friday.

Checks of local hospitals have also shown no trace of Dr Kelly.

Dr Kelly is 5ft 8ins, of slim build and with grey receding hair and a white well-trimmed beard. He has green/grey eyes and was last seen wearing an off-white cotton shirt possibly striped, blue jeans, with a brown leather belt and brown shoes.

Anyone who feels they may have information that can help in tracing Dr Kelly should call 08458 505 505.

A Ministry of Defence spokeswoman said: "We are aware that Dr David Kelly has gone missing and we are obviously concerned."

Downing Street says it is "very concerned about news that David Kelly has gone missing". A spokesman said thoughts were with Dr Kelly's family.

Number 10 says "normal personnel procedures" were followed after Dr Kelly volunteered that he might have been the source of Mr Gilligan's report.

It was made clear to Dr Kelly that his name was likely to become public knowledge because he was one of only a small number of people it could have been about, the spokesman said.

After questioning Dr Kelly earlier this week, the Commons foreign affairs select committee said it was "most unlikely" he was the main source for the BBC story.

And they said Dr Kelly, who has worked as a weapons inspector in Iraq, had been "poorly treated" by the government - a charge strongly rejected by the MoD.

"There must be more to this than we had thought. I do not know what that means, I just think there is" John Maples, Foreign affairs committee

Committee chairman Donald Anderson told the BBC his "heart went out" to Dr Kelly's family as the search for the official went on.

Another member of the committee, Tory John Maples said he was "speechless" after hearing of the discovery of a body.

"If it is (Dr Kelly), it is just awful. What can you say? Nothing," he said."There must be more to this than we had thought. I do not know what that means, I just think there is". "In fact, several people (on the committee) said 'you have been used by the government'."

Tory MP Richard Ottaway, another committee member, said: "He is not used to the media glare, he is not used to the intense spotlight he has been put under."

The news comes after Mr Anderson accused Mr Gilligan of being an "unreliable witness" who had changed his story about the Iraq dossier claims when he met the committee in private on Thursday.

The BBC has rejected that suggestion, saying Mr Gilligan had been consistent throughout

BUMP

We know Snowman and we're disgussing it here in the Iraq - Aftermath thread...

WMD expert assasinated?

What on earth is going on? Dr David Kelly, the expert linked to the "sexing-up" BBC report that has irked the british government so much has been missing since yesterday afternoon and now a body has been found in a field 5 miles from his house.

Note that the BBC report is extreemely carefully worded but there is plenty to read betwen the lines...

Suicide? Heart attack? Political assasination?

Iraq/BBC/Dossier "source" found dead?

Police searching for the weapons expert suggested by the government as the possible source for a BBC story on Iraq say the body they have found matches Dr David Kelly's appearance.
The body was found at 0920 BST by a member of the police team searching for Dr Kelly in a wooded area at Harrowdown Hill, near Faringdon, Oxfordshire.

Government adviser Dr Kelly, 59, went missing from his home in Southmoor, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, at about 1500 BST on Thursday.

The body was found lying on the ground, a police spokeswoman said.

She said items had been removed from Dr Kelly's house as they would in any missing person's inquiry.

The body was found around five miles from Dr Kelly's home.
Hmmm...

Ah, I just posted this to Fortean News too. I'll leave it since my one only has the news story.

It's still an option that the pressure was too much and he committed suicide. That is, if the body is actually his.

Weird, I just posted this before, but it didn't appear.

I was merely pointing out (along with the article) that it has shades of the 80s when all those weapons experts died in mysterious circumstances. No doubt they'll say it was natural causes or suicide or something.. but one does have to wonder..

The body was found two miles from my house.

Eeeep!

Bit suspect though isn't it?
Especially if it does turn out to be him...wonder what Tony will have to say about that?

BREAKING NEWS

Body identified as Dr. Kelly!

BBC

The body was found at 0920 BST by a member of the police team searching for Dr Kelly in a wooded area at Harrowdown Hill, near Faringdon, Oxfordshire.

The government has now announced that if the body is formally identified as Dr Kelly, an independent judicial inquiry will be held into the Iraq weapons affair.

The body was found lying on the ground, around five miles from Dr Kelly's home, a police spokeswoman said.

Attention

The government announcement of an inquiry - which has been demanded by Liberal Democrats and the Tories - came from the prime minister's plane as he flew for a visit to Tokyo.

Earlier this week, Dr Kelly denied being the BBC's main source for a story claiming Downing Street had "sexed up" a dossier about Iraqi weapons of mass destruction.

campbells hissy fit now has a body count (alledgedly)

I find it curious that Alistair campbell and Tony blair (the people who would benifit most from the 'removal' of doctor Kelly) have an organised and very public alabi. If there ever was a time to make it look like it was an ordered hit by campbell (who has shown signs of severe mental disorder and a 'God' comeplex of late in his dealings with the BBC in paticular) than this would have been the ideal time to do it, when those that posibly ordered the hit were out of the country.

Andrew Marr's coments, now being regully repeated on the bbc news 24 channal were calling for a truce between the bbc and number 10 saying that things had gone too far in this 'war' and he "didn't expect anyone to get killed as a result". So it seams that the speculation in the bbc behind the sceans is that it was murder.

Another thing which I expect may be 'lost' in future reports on the matter is that when the newsreader on bbc n.24 interviwed a police spokswoman, the spokes woman comented that dr kelly did not own a firarm and his body was found face down in the woods. This could mean a number of things of course but one could speculate that 5 miles from home, face down in mud away from the footpath (not hung then) and it would seem from the gun comment not sewerside by shooting that it certinly dose not sound like an advarage sewercide at all perhaps he could have had a heart attack or something at a very in opertune time or could have indeed been murdered.

Re: IT's amazing what the subconcious drags up...

Niles Calder said:
As it turned out the copy I was reading had been provided by Androman (who in the dream worked at the afformentioned publisher) and it wasn't the original, but it was a prototype for the printers. A prototype print document is, of course, a proof and it had been provided by Andro. So either this is a precognative dream or I'm going to have to search every post Andro has made on this topic... :cool:
I know nothing. Noothingg!!! :eek!!!!:

BBC 'Mole' found dead?

OO-EE-OO.
This is too freaky to be anything other than a tragic accident, surely. Isn't it???

"Body 'matches' Iraq expert

Mr Kelly arriving to give evidence to MPs this week
Police searching for the weapons expert suggested as the possible source for a BBC story on Iraq say the body they have found matches Dr David Kelly's appearance.
The government says an independent judicial inquiry will be held into the circumstances of his death if the body is confirmed to be that of Dr Kelly.

Government adviser Dr Kelly, 59, has denied being the source of a BBC story on claims that a dossier on Iraq was "sexed up".

He left his home in Southmoor, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, at about 1500 BST on Thursday and his family reported him missing at 2345 BST the same day.

The body was found lying on the ground, around five miles from Dr Kelly's home, a police spokeswoman said.

Acting superintendent Dave Purnell said formal identification would take place on Saturday, said Supt Purnell, and the case was being treated as an "unexplained death".

"We will be awaiting the results of the post mortem and also waiting while the forensic examination continues at the scene at Harrowdown Hill," he added.

The government announcement of an inquiry if the body is Dr Kelly's came from the prime minister's plane as he flew for a visit to Tokyo.

Mr Blair's spokesman said: "The prime minister is obviously very distressed for the family.

"If it is Dr Kelly's body, the Ministry of Defence will hold an independent judicial inquiry into the circumstances leading up to his death."

Robert Jackson, the Conservative MP in whose constituency Dr Kelly lived, said the "responsibility of the BBC should not go unmentioned" in the case.

"The pressure was significantly increased by the fact the BBC refused to make it clear he was not the source," he said.

A BBC spokesman said: "We are shocked and saddened to hear what has happened and we extend our deepest sympathies to Dr Kelly's family and friends.

"Whilst Dr Kelly's family await the formal identification, it would not be appropriate for us to make any further statement."

Earlier this week, Dr Kelly denied being the BBC's main source for the story claiming Downing Street had "sexed up" the dossier about Iraqi weapons of mass destruction.

MPs on the Commons foreign affairs committee, which questioned Dr Kelly earlier this week, reacted with shock and disbelief at news of his disappearance.

Huge media attention has been on Dr Kelly since the Ministry of Defence said he had come forward to admit meeting Andrew Gilligan, the BBC correspondent behind the controversial Iraq story.

Mr Gilligan said a source had told him that the dossier on Iraq had been "transformed" by Downing Street.

The BBC correspondent has refused to name his source, but the MoD said Dr Kelly had come forward to say it may have been him.

Government ministers have said they believe he was the source for Mr Gilligan's story.

Supt Purnell said a police family liaison officer is with Dr Kelly's family. The official and wife Janice have three daughters, Sian, 32, and twins Rachel and Ellen, 30.

Ann Lewis, a neighbour of Dr Kelly, told BBC News Online she was "devastated" for his family, especially his children.

He is not used to the media glare, he is not used to the intense spotlight he has been put under

She said: "He was a quiet man. He was a man who showed great care and concern for others."

Craig Foster, 36, landlord of the Blue Boar public house in nearby Longworth, said Dr Kelly was "a very well liked gentleman".

Police say Dr Kelly is an avid walker and has good local knowledge of the many footpaths surrounding his home.

A Ministry of Defence spokeswoman said: "We are aware that Dr David Kelly has gone missing and we are obviously concerned."

The ministry said Dr Kelly had at no point been threatened with suspension or dismissal for speaking to Mr Gilligan.

It was made clear to him that he had broken civil service rules by having unauthorised contact with a journalist, but "that was the end of it", said a spokesman.

Downing Street says "normal personnel procedures" were followed after Dr Kelly volunteered that he might have been the source of Mr Gilligan's report.

It was made clear to Dr Kelly that his name was likely to become public knowledge because he was one of only a small number of people it could have been about, a spokesman said.

After questioning Dr Kelly earlier this week, the Commons foreign affairs select committee said it was "most unlikely" he was the main source for the BBC story.

And they said Dr Kelly, who has worked as a weapons inspector in Iraq, had been "poorly treated" by the government - a charge strongly rejected by the MoD.

" There must be more to this than we had thought. I do not know what that means, I just think there is"

John Maples
Foreign affairs committee.

Committee chairman Donald Anderson told the BBC his "heart went out" to Dr Kelly's family as the search for the official went on.

Another member of the committee, Tory John Maples said he was "speechless" after hearing of the discovery of a body.

"If it is (Dr Kelly), it is just awful. What can you say? Nothing," he said.

"There must be more to this than we had thought. I do not know what that means, I just think there is."

Tory MP Richard Ottaway, another committee member, said: "He is not used to the media glare, he is not used to the intense spotlight he has been put under."

The BBC has rejected Mr Anderson's claim that Mr Gilligan was an "unreliable witness" who had changed his story about the Iraq dossier claims when he met the committee in private on Thursday. "

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3076801.stm>

Too right.. it's got shades of the 80s when all those weapons experts started dying in unusual circumstances.

What's even weirder is that both Taras and myself started separate threads on this very subject sequentially around midday, and both were deleted after a couple of minutes....:eek!!!!:

Deleted?

That's odd.
I thought I couldn't have been the first person to post on this subject. Was there anything in your post that might have led to its being deleted?

It may well turn out to be accident or suicide but...

Snowman X said:
Too right.. it's got shades of the 80s when all those weapons experts started dying in unusual circumstances.

What's even weirder is that both Taras and myself started separate threads on this very subject sequentially around midday, and both were deleted after a couple of minutes....:eek!!!!:

I think they've been bumped to Iraq the Aftermath.

I don't know EZ. Too many people pointing and going "my entire arse". People are no longer prepared to take this kind of double play. Cooj thinks it's misdirection of some kind.

its strange that the police found/located mr kelly less less than 20 hours after he was reported missing when ordinarlly people arnt found/located months or years later

(i thought that you had to be missing for 3 days/72 hrs before there would be a search for you if youre a "normal" adult?)

i bet that the corneners report thingy will be classed as "open verdict and/or death due to unknown causes"

two words:- allegded conspirisy

"Alleged" being the operative word. It's too early to say anything, really - for all we know, the pressure may well have been too much for him, he may well have gone off for an uncharacteristic walk, he could have had a coronary: point is, we don't know. And that uncertainty is what breeds conspiracy theories: whatever verdict is delivered, there will always be those who don't believe it

I'm not discounting "nobbling" altogether, but TBH to me at least it sounds like a bloke with too much pressure on him.

By the way, I agree that this story is intertwined with Iraq (Dr Kelly's death is directly related, whether by natural or artificial cause), so agree it belongs on here.

Yes, I agree with Stu.

If his death is suicide or stress-induced coronary, it clearly relates to the Iraq enquiry.

If it should be 'foul play' then the conspiracy mills will be over-heating.

Just heard on TV: the body is Dr. Kelly, and there will be a judicial enquiry into his death.

The Weapons Inspector's Weapons Inspector

One quite common thread, according to various interviewees and the BBC, is the fact that Dr Kelly might not have been prepared for the overwhelming 'media' onslaught, following his appearance in the House of Commons, the other day.

He was known as the 'Weapons Inpector's Weapons Inspector, apparently! He was supposed to be straight talking and straightforward, always said what he really believed and was at pains to be very accurate in his public pronouncements.

When he was in Iraq as part of a UN weapons team he had to handle all sorts of hassle from Iraqi security, intelligence and etc. Sadman Hussein, himself, couldn't stand him and wanted him out.

It's ironic to think the British Press may have succeeded where Sadman Hussein failed. :(

any bets that itll be a closed inquiry?

melf said:
any bets that itll be a closed inquiry?
According to the BBCi News Report:
Mr Blair's spokesman said: "The prime minister is obviously very distressed for the family.

"If it is Dr Kelly's body, the Ministry of Defence will hold an independent judicial inquiry into the circumstances leading up to his death."

Officials stressed the inquiry would not be the wide-ranging investigation into the run-up to the war urged by opposition MPs.

It will be headed by a law lord - Lord Hutton - but it is expected to take a matter of weeks not months.
No doubt the the Government will have the remit, terms and conditions of the enquiry tied up tighter than a duck's sphincter.

Expect much smoke and very little about the really crucial questions about the reasons for going to War. :(

His walk was not uncharactaristc :rolleyes: It was saying on the news earlier that he went for a walk regully before dinner and came back in time for tea thats what raised the alarm for his wife, there were only a few walks he could have done in the time in the local area, hence the fact that the police didn't take long to find him, he was in one of the first places they'd have looked.

on the subject that he was somehow depressed to the point of sewercide because he had been bady treated by the inquiry, I don't buy that at all, he has as a top scientist and former weapons inspector had to deal with the press an aurful lot in his job (aparently according to the bbc he is very good friends with some jurnolists) and as a leader in his feild (microbiology) would have had to make many presentations at confrences where it is likly that his findings and theorys would have been put under the microscope and possibly had many other scientists doubting his conclutions etc. so he would have been well used to that kind of thing...

And according to the bbc the last person to see him as he went off for his walk saw him smileing...

all that dose pour cold water on suicide (along with the cercomstces the body was in i outlined in my last post on this thread) and although we haven't been given much information on this, the info that has been released sugests natural causes or murder :(

Back