• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Death Of William Posters

Dick Turpin

Justified & Ancient
Sitting in work the other day (bored as usual) I asked the young guy sitting next to me, if he knew who the biggest criminal this country had ever produced was. He thought for a moment and said “Erm one of the Kray twins”…..Nooooooo I said. “Erm Erm Ronnie Biggs” he ventured……Again “Noooooooooo”

Then I don’t know he said.

I replied that the biggest Criminal this country had ever produced was an evil man named William Posters, and that Posters is a big-time crim.

Despite being quite posh, and well educated my workmate didn’t get the joke, so I just laughed and went back to daydreaming about the Orient winning the league this season, until an older guy sitting behind us, said that the William Posters joke was an old one, and there was a book published in the 1960’s entitled the Death of William Posters.

Before I start to google it, (or anyone on here does) has anyone read this book or even heard of it, knows what it’s about etc..?.

In any case I’m a bit gutted, as I thought the William Posters joke was exclusive to me lol.

I grew up in the East End of London and I always thought it was Bill Stickers.
Yes, I suppose I could have used William Stickers.

Where are you from Eziofan?.

I was born and raised on the Bethnal Green / Shoreditch border, but have the distinction of living in every east London borough over the years.

One thing that this thread has made me realise is the complete dearth of William Stickers activities in my neck of the woods whereas previously his activities were everywhere. Wonder what's happened to him and hope he's ok.

One thing that this thread has made me realise is the complete dearth of William Stickers activities in my neck of the woods whereas previously his activities were everywhere. Wonder what's happened to him and hope he's ok.
Ever since the 'Bill Stickers is innocent' campaign - there must be a correlation.

Yes, I suppose I could have used William Stickers.

Where are you from Eziofan?.

I was born and raised on the Bethnal Green / Shoreditch border, but have the distinction of living in every east London borough over the years.
Born and raised in Stratford. Spent a couple of years in Walthamstow. Last 30 years in East Yorkshire.

I always tell people I'm on missionary work. I'm on a Del Boy scholarship teaching cockney rhyming slang to the locals!
My brother moved up to north Derbyshire 25 years ago, and he’s struggling with his original accent. He vehemently denies it but the last time I spoke to him he called me duck – or duk as he pronounced it.

I said to him….”mate, you’ve just called me duck” “No I didn’t duckie” he replied lol.

If he ever call’s me Chuck, I swear I’ll nut him.

Bill posters will be prosecuted
:)
No that's his brother, not the guy I was on about. On a really distressing note one William Stickers was knocked down and killed just up the road from me- I'd frequently see him rushing across the busy road with a bundle in his hand. Did it once too often RIP WS whoever you were. Tragic and senseless.

No that's his brother, not the guy I was on about. On a really distressing note one William Stickers was knocked down and killed just up the road from me- I'd frequently see him rushing across the busy road with a bundle in his hand. Did it once too often RIP WS whoever you were. Tragic and senseless.
That could lead to an interesting paradox where the person that killed him could be prosecuted instead.:oops:

Back