• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Dictionary Paradox

Mikefule

Justified & Ancient
Not quite a paradox, for the pedants, but it's a snappy title.

I have the sort of brain that makes unexpected connections between ideas, and a thought came to me yesterday.

Many years ago, I read of an author who decided in the final stages of editing that her protagonist should have brown eyes rather than blue.

She used her word processor to "find and replace" and then submitted her manuscript. Some time later, she received a mystified enquiry as to why her novel repeatedly described the sea and sky as brown. Changing one small word made a huge difference, much as altering one chromosome can make enormous changes to how an organism develops.

Except in the special case of technical or legal matters, there is no "official" meaning of any word. The meaning of a word is its use. However, when two people dispute the meaning of a word, or need absolute clarity, one or both may resort to a dictionary.

Meanings are not prescribed by the dictionary, but merely described. Paradoxically, they are described using other words. It is a form of bootstrapping: in order to understand each word, you have to understand each of the words used to describe it, and then each of the words used to describe them, and so on, in infinite regression. Eventually, you may come to a word that is defined using the very word that you were looking up in the first place.

Indeed, in very cheap dictionaries, it is not unknown to see simplistic circular definitions along the lines of
"Big: large, sizeable."
"Large: sizeable, big.
"Sizeable: big, large."

Of course in real life, the dictionary writer has to assume that the reader has a basic familiarity with the language, and an ability to infer meaning from context.

Take a simple word like can. It has two main meanings: a verb relating to the ability to do something; and a container that is usually cylindrical and made of metal.

However, there are further meanings: "can" is the verb meaning to put something into a can," as well as a slang term for prison.

So if the dictionary writer uses the word "can" in the definition of another word, the reader has to know which meaning of "can" is intended.

Most of the time this is not a problem. However, there are many words which have a "formal" meaning, and a much looser general meaning: words that people use in the way they may have have heard others use them. Many people use "anticipate" as a synonym for "expect", or "epicentre" as a posh way of saying "centre".

Over time, the meaning of words changes, and nuances are lost. This means that sometimes tautology becomes necessary. A pet peeve of mine: "co-conspirator" has more or less replaced "conspirator" in news reports, for example.

There was also the recent case of a UK politician making the generally valid point that discrimination against males by females is also bad, but exposing himself to ridicule by referring to "misogyny against men". (The correct word is "misandry".)

Another one that springs to mind: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was renamed Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. How many people now think that sorcerer and philosopher must mean the same thing?

So my thought, making a tenuous connection in my mind with chaos theory's famous "butterfly effect", is what would happen if the meaning of one word in the dictionary were to be changed?

If that word appeared in the definition of another word, it would change the meaning of that word, and so on in a domino effect. The change of meaning of just one word — assuming it was a sufficiently widespread and important word — would either change the meaning of a large chunk of the language or at least make the dictionary completely invalid.

Have there been real cases where a lexicographer has misunderstood the meaning of a word, defined it incorrectly, and then used it in the definition of other words?

Have there been cases where the meaning of a word has been changed without anyone realising?

What word would make the most difference?

As someone who worked in connection with litigation for many years, I am acutely aware of how even the change of one letter in a word can make an important difference in real life. The long legal letter that was intended to say, "after careful consideration of this new evidence, we can not accept liability" is mistyped as "we can now accept liability," and all hell breaks loose!

The most famous example of a modern lexicographic screw-up is 'dord' ...
As “Dord” Shows, Being in the Dictionary Doesn’t Always Mean Something’s a Word

Dord.

Sounds made-up, right? It is. And on this day in 1939, a suspicious editor of Webster’s New International Dictionary, second edition, thought just that after finding it in the dictionary. He went looking for its origins. When he found that the word had none, it was panic at the dictionary office.

Among lexicographers, this incident is famous. The dictionary’s second edition was printed in 1934, writes rumor-debunking site Snopes, and due to a series of editing and printing errors it contained the word dord, defined as a synonym for density used by physicists and chemists. That word appeared on “between the entries for Dorcopsis (a type of small kangaroo) and doré (golden in color.)”

This spooky apparition is known among lexicographers as a “ghost word.” It didn't exist, but there it was, on page 771 of the dictionary. And there it stayed until 1939, when an editor figured out what was happening and wrote this note declaring dord to be “&! A ghost word!” ...

“But for some reason, the change wasn’t actually made until 1947,” says Merriam-Webster’s Emily Brewster ...
FULL STORY: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/brief-history-dord-180962266/

Here's a more detailed explanation for how the ghost word 'dord' entered the dictionary ...
In the first edition of Webster’s, entries for abbreviations and words had been intermingled: the abbreviation lb (for “pound”), for example, would be found immediately after the entry for the word lazy. In the second edition, however, abbreviations were supposed to be collected in a separate section at the back of the dictionary. In 1931, a card had been prepared bearing the notation “D or d, cont/ density” to indicate the next edition of the dictionary should include listings for D and d as abbreviations of the word density. Somehow the card became misdirected during the editorial process and landed in the “words” pile rather than the “abbreviations” pile, and so the “D or d” notation ended up being set as the single word dord, a synonym for density. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ghost-word/

Back during my AI R&D days the problems arising from strict reliance on a fixed and endlessly / recursively cross-referenced lexical set (i.e., a virtual or actual 'dictionary' resource) were a perpetual plague on attempts to handle natural language processing.

Parsing (e.g.) a sentence that employed a creative / metaphorical / novel citation of a given token (word) could set off a recursive series of missteps in associating semantics with the given token in the given sentence, and these often took hours to untangle to the simple extent of merely understanding where the process blew up.

The most famous example of a modern lexicographic screw-up is 'dord' ...

FULL STORY: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/brief-history-dord-180962266/
I have a great fascination for things which are recorded but never existed. I have a plate from a nineteenth century natural history book containing a sukotyro, and a map of Africa from a nineteenth century encyclopedia showing the Mountains of Kong. If I can find the relevant page of Webster's, perhaps I'll frame it.

'Dord' qualifies as a 'ghost word' (a spurious dictionary entry). However, it was an actual error. The label 'ghost word' is more commonly used to refer to spurious entries deliberately included in dictionaries to help foil copyright violators.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dord_(instrument)

The dord is a bronze horn native to Ireland, with excavated examples dating back as far as 1000 BC, during the Bronze Age. 104 original dords are known to exist, although replicas have been built since the late 20th century.[1]

Though the musical tradition of the dord has been lost, modern performers such as Rolf Harris and Alan Dargin believe it was played in a manner similar to the didgeridoo and apply that technique (including circular breathing and shifts in timbre) accordingly for modern fusion music. The Irish musician Simon O'Dwyer attempts to recreate historically accurate dord.[2]

Have there been real cases where a lexicographer has misunderstood the meaning of a word, defined it incorrectly, and then used it in the definition of other words?
Have there been cases where the meaning of a word has been changed without anyone realising?

There's the classic case of Samuel Johnson misinterpreting the etymology of 'internecine' and establishing an erroneous definition that's become the commonplace one today.
Internecine comes from the Latin internecinus ("fought to the death" or "destructive"), which traces to the verb "necare" ("to kill") and the prefix inter-. ("Inter-" usually means "between" or "mutual" in Latin, but it can also indicate the completion of an action.) Internecine meant "deadly" when it appeared in English in the early 17th century, but when Samuel Johnson entered it in his dictionary almost a century later, he was apparently misled by "inter-" and defined the word as "endeavouring mutual destruction." Johnson's definition was carried into later dictionaries, and before long his sense was the dominant meaning of the word. "Internecine" developed the association with internal group conflict in the 20th century, and that's the most common sense today.
SOURCE: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/internecine

See Also: https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/internecine-word-history

If Johnson invoked 'internecine' in any definition of another word, that would represent an example illustrating your first query above.

There's the classic case of Samuel Johnson misinterpreting the etymology of 'internecine' and establishing an erroneous definition that's become the commonplace one today.

See Also: https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/internecine-word-history

If Johnson invoked 'internecine' in any definition of another word, that would represent an example illustrating your first query above.
Now that's a good example. Thank you.

Indeed, I have come across "internecine" a very few times and it is not a word I have ever taken the trouble to look up. I assumed "inter" meant "between or amongst" and, not recognising "necine" I had wrongly inferred from context that it referred to war/conflict within a group: a sort of civil war within a family or social class.

Such feuds are often extremely bitterly fought, being fuelled by hatred and jealousy as well as by political or financial interest. That means they are often "internecine" in the original sense, and also "internecine" in Johnson's sense. Perhaps that is why the word is used so often in the context of "conflict within a group" which is what misled me into thinking that was its actual meaning.

As my mother would say, I was "mizzled" (a childhood misreading of misled).

Last edited:

Not as good (bad) as Quintilian logic:

lucus a non lucendo:​

A paradoxical or otherwise absurd derivation; something of which the qualities are the opposite of what its name suggests. Recorded in English from the early 18th century, this Latin phrase means ‘a grove (so called) from the absence of lux (light)’; that is, a grove is named from the fact of its not shining, a proposition discussed by the Roman rhetorician Quintilian (ad c. 35–c. 96) in his Institutio Oratoria.

Source:
https://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/oi/authority.20110803100118402

grove (n.)Old English graf "grove, copse, small wood" (akin to græafa "thicket"), not certainly found in other Germanic languages and with no known cognates. 'Groves of Academe' refers to the shaded walks of the Academy at Athens.

there are many words which have a "formal" meaning, and a much looser general meaning: words that people use in the way they may have have heard others use them.

As someone who worked in connection with litigation for many years, I am acutely aware of how even the change of one letter in a word can make an important difference in real life. The long legal letter that was intended to say, "after careful consideration of this new evidence, we can not accept liability" is mistyped as "we can now accept liability," and all hell breaks loose!
Your original post covers several different topics.
The "definition creep" was discussed recently on a different thread, with examples like "decimate" (reduce by 10%), "hapless" (unlucky) and "enormity" (very bad) being examples of words being misused so often that incorrect meanings are gaining a foothold in the language.

As for changing one letter, the respective English and American etymology of aluminium/aluminum makes interesting reading.

How about morning and mourning? Do you pronounce those very different words identically?

Somebody should invent a meaning for that word!
What was its definition in the Webster’s New International Dictionary?
Was it this? :
"The dord is a bronze horn native to Ireland, with excavated examples dating back as far as 1000 BC, during the Bronze Age. 104 original dords are known to exist, although replicas have been built since the late 20th century.[1]"
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dord_(instrument) – which states that the citation [1] is a "[permanent dead link][failed verification]."

Back