• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Disappearance Of Margaret Fleming

Well, not many genius criminals that have been caught. A true genius criminal would operate without the authorities knowing a crime had ever been committed.

Not sure about that. We're getting OT, but I can't think of many (or any) crimes that were committed with nobody noticing.

How would you know, unless you committed one

Well a crime has the consequence of someone profiting from its taking place, be that multimillion dollar tax fraud or the raised social status of beating up someone in a pub. So there will always be evidence somewhere, otherwise, no crime was committed. I think?

Not sure about that. We're getting OT, but I can't think of many (or any) crimes that were committed with nobody noticing.

That's the point though, that a perfect crime would go undetected. Nobody WOULD notice.

As an example, a British publican died a few years ago, long after his wife had disappeared. During pub renovations her body was found in a bricked-up outbuilding.
The assumption is that he killed her and successfully concealed her body. That's a perfect crime.

That's the point though, that a perfect crime would go undetected. Nobody WOULD notice.

As an example, a British publican died a few years ago, long after his wife had disappeared. During pub renovations her body was found in a bricked-up outbuilding.
The assumption is that he killed her and successfully concealed her body. That's a perfect crime.

But he was found out eventually, just too late for justice! Just like we found Bella in the Wych Elm, a crime was committed, then discovered, but getting away with it doesn't make it perfect. Not to me anyway. I have very high standards for criminality.

But he was found out eventually, just too late for justice! Just like we found Bella in the Wych Elm, a crime was committed, then discovered, but getting away with it doesn't make it perfect. Not to me anyway. I have very high standards for criminality.

The publican's wife's body wasn't found until after the assumed murderer was dead and so no longer answerable for the crime. There are bodies found where there is no arrest or prosecution, and OTOH some people disappear with no trace. Perfect crimes.

Also a druggie who shoplifts spirits time after time to fund his addiction is committing the perfect crime. There doesn't need to be an Agatha Christie plot.

Yeah, I suppose, but the shopkeeper's going to notice stock disappearing eventually, and someone will notice that someone's disappeared. Just because the culprit gets away with it doesn't mean the crime is invisible, which I think (?) is what @Cochise was on about.

:oops:

I might have said something about this at quite an early stage.
He did apparently tell the police at the time but it doesn’t seem to have become public knowledge until the trial. The other thing that was mentioned in passing in the media coverage was that they weren’t digging for a body but for bone fragments, of which they found plenty but none categorically identifiable as human.

It's good that there will be some justice at last but ... without a body I'm confused as to how they have been able to determine that (a) Margaret Fleming is in fact dead, and (b) she has been dead all this time as opposed to just missing since the carers reported her as such.

Is it just a matter of their stories don't make sense, or is there more that I'm not seeing?

Yeah, I suppose, but the shopkeeper's going to notice stock disappearing eventually, and someone will notice that someone's disappeared. Just because the culprit gets away with it doesn't mean the crime is invisible, which I think (?) is what @Cochise was on about.
I was thinking more of people who go missing and are never found. Some will be runaways, some will have experienced misadventure, but some will be victims of crime as yet undetected. If the perp dies before the crime is detected that meets my criteria.

I'm sorry, this is something of a digression. But if someone commits a crime and is caught and one bases one's estimate of criminal capability on only those who are caught one may be making an underestimate of their capabilities.

It's good that there will be some justice at last but ... without a body I'm confused as to how they have been able to determine that (a) Margaret Fleming is in fact dead, and (b) she has been dead all this time as opposed to just missing since the carers reported her as such.

Is it just a matter of their stories don't make sense, or is there more that I'm not seeing?
In the BBC tv interview they stated they didn’t actually report her missing because they knew she was in Poland working as a gangmaster/drug dealer. It was the Inverclyde social services and the Benefits Agency who passed the case to the police. The whole thing is extraordinary and I recommend going back through the reporting of the trial to see the fantastic claims the defence made.

I agree, though, that it’s interesting they have been convicted of the murder in the absence of any concrete proof of what happened, especially considering the requirement for corroboration in Scottish criminal law. I had expected them to be acquitted of the murder charge but be convicted of obtaining money by deception. The case seems to have hinged on Margaret’s learning difficulties making it highly improbably that she was able to support herself independently, coupled with the absence of any evidence of her continuing existance (i.e. no bank account, phone records, physical sightings etc..)

Last edited:
Just shows you, even with seemingly everyone online, on a phone, with some kind of "virtual" presence even if it's just a bank account, there is still the possibility of slipping through the cracks for almost two decades. Or being forced through the cracks, in poor Margaret's case. Makes you wonder how many others have been, too.

It would appear from previous stories that there perhaps was physical evidence that she may have been dead, presumably from the house that they didn't appear to clean ever. Charges were dropped about certain things (I seem to remember binding her with tape) but to get such detail the tape must have still been there so there may have been other things.

I am glad these people have been brought to justice. I hope poor Margaret can rest in peace now. Such a sad story.

Margaret Fleming: Carers jailed for murdering teenager

Two carers who murdered a vulnerable teenager whose body has never been found have each been ordered to spend a minimum of 14 years in prison.

Edward Cairney, 77, and Avril Jones, 59, killed Margaret Fleming, 19, between December 1999 and January 2000.

Jones then continued to claim £182,000 in benefits until it finally emerged Margaret was missing in October 2016.

At the High Court in Glasgow Lord Matthews told Cairney he must serve at least 14 years.

Jones' minimum life tariff was also set at 14 years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-49014751

This sad sad case has been slow burning for years in the news here. I'm glad there is some resolution, but the circumstances are harrowing.

Requiem aeternam dona ei, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat ei. Requiescat in pace.

Thinking that a murder conviction in the absence of a body is unusual, I looked it up on Wiki to find there's been hundreds of cases over the years. Some were later overturned.

Here's an odd case from 1660:

William Harrison, a wealthy 70-year-old man last seen walking to Charingworth. After his hat, coat and neckband were found on the side of the road with a sharp cut and sprinkled in blood, his servant John Perry claimed that Perry's own brother and mother had murdered Harrison to rob him, and subsequently dumped the body in a pond. The pond was drained but no body was found. The Perrys then alternated between pleading guilt and innocence, until they were all found guilty and hanged. However, Harrison reappeared in 1662, claiming to have been abducted by Barbary pirates. It has been said that this case caused British courts to not give murder sentences without a body for the next 250 years.

Thinking that a murder conviction in the absence of a body is unusual, I looked it up on Wiki to find there's been hundreds of cases over the years. Some were later overturned.

Here's an odd case from 1660:

I've read about that one somewhere, and it's such an odd one... why on earth would the servant implicate himself, his brother and mother when they must know that the chap wasn't actually murdered? The only explanation I'd seen was that they had reason to believe he was dead... as in, they'd arranged for someone to murder him. But then again, that doesn't really fit with them saying they robbed him and dumped the body.

It's a mighty curious one, that's for sure. :conf2:

I've read about that one somewhere, and it's such an odd one... why on earth would the servant implicate himself, his brother and mother when they must know that the chap wasn't actually murdered? The only explanation I'd seen was that they had reason to believe he was dead... as in, they'd arranged for someone to murder him. But then again, that doesn't really fit with them saying they robbed him and dumped the body.

It's a mighty curious one, that's for sure. :conf2:

Back then people could be locked up and interrogated for however long it took them to confess, whether they were guilty or not, if the authorities decided they'd done it. It's surprisingly easy to break a person's will if they feel powerless.

Murder Trial: The Disappearance Of Margaret Fleming is on the BBC Scotland channel on Tuesday 7 January at 22:00 and on BBC Two on Wednesday 8 January at 21:00.

Police officer tells how 'Margaret Fleming case stuck with me'
  • 7 hours ago