• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Dog That Leaped Out Of My Wall

A

Anonymous

I did submit this to fortean times many moons ago, but I think its about time to post this story myself.

Now, I'm not the religeous type and neither beleive in an after life, God or any other such nonsense as that. However, I have a tale that I still cannot explain to this day.

It happened when I was young. No more that 5 or 6 years old.
Me and my brother were playing in our front room and my mum was upstairs in the bathroom. We had this game where we would push two chairs together and wrestle each other using only our feet. We used to call these events "The Foot Fights".

As we were foot fighting my brother gave me a hefty push which forced my chair to slide backwards. As it did, this small black dog jumped out of the wall where my chair had been and onto the floor in front of us. This was an interior wall with no windows or doors and was a connecting wall to the house next door.
I remember the dog as being a small black scottish terrier which looked as confused to be in our front room as we were.

Even stranger is that we had a mongrel dog who was asleep on the sofa and didn't bat an eyelid. That is until I ran past him screaming straight up the stairs to my mum. I mentioned this to my brother for years afterwards and he always denied it happened.

That was until recently at a party when I told people what happened and he agreed that it did take place. I then asked him what happened after I had ran away and he said that it just disappeared.

What ever it was, it made me shit my tiny young pants!

:eek!!!!:

That's up there with the Maddest Things I Ever Heard.

<<<Now, I'm not the religeous type and neither beleive in an after life, God or any other such nonsense as that. >>>

Black dogs leaping out of walls - nothing to do with God, for sure. Quite the opposite, in fact.

When you say it looked 'confused', I can only think maybe some kind of dimension slip? Heard lots of stories of people or animals appearing where they shouldnt.....

One time my sister and I both saw, out the corner of our eyes, someone walk down our hall into our parents room. I was on the computer just like I am now and she was on the other side of the hall in the bathroom putting on makeup or something. I went in and turned on the lights but there was no one in there. Our parents' room is only a few steps from either the bathroom or the office where I was so there's no way he could have come back out without us seeing him. "He" (I sense it was male) was walking swiftly and seemed frustrated like he was lost and trying to find his way back somewhere he should have been hours ago. I can't give you a physical description other than that he was short and stocky.

realspooky said:
When you say it looked 'confused', I can only think maybe some kind of dimension slip? Heard lots of stories of people or animals appearing where they shouldnt.....

I think these dimensional slips may be a more common phenomenon than we may think. Any scientists in here think dimensional slips are possible?

Mythopoeika said:
I think these dimensional slips may be a more common phenomenon than we may think. Any scientists in here think dimensional slips are possible?

If such a thing existed it could account for many phenomena such as ghosts, alien sightings, shadow people to name but a few...

When I shared a flat with my mate John, we were sat in the living room waiting for our girlfriends to return from a night out. Sure enough, we heard them laughing and crashing through the front door... I went to the hallway to greet them, but they weren't there. Me and John looked at each other and didn't know what to think! About 10 minutes later, we heard exactly the same noises, but this time they were really there.

If dimension slips do occur, noise related ones might be far more common than visual ones. There's background and ambient noise all around us that we take for granted... we may just not notice, for example, a dog barking in the same way we would seeing a dog leap out of a wall!

I'm bumping this thread especially for AngelAlice, as it's one of my favourite IHTM stories. Enjoy. :D

Reminds me of a time at Uni when I was in the shower and heard my flat mate come in, run up the stairs to his room, play his music really loud for about two minutes and then leave again.

I got to college about half an hour later and asked why he had bothered to put his music on if he was only in for a few minutes, to which he replied he hadn't been home and had been at college all afternoon. Something which was confirmed by someone else in the room.

Of course, we had a thing about trying to scare each other* so I have always assumed he was lying and it was him but he did have a witness vouching for him. Could have been a time-slip?

* I once came home from college and stacked all his books into a tower in the middle of his room one afternoon, while on one occasion myself and my then girlfriend were awoken by a tape player he had set up with a timer under my bed with recordings of what presumably were meant to be scary noises. :lol:

I always imagine 'black dog' tales to be about huge, lurcher type dogs. Maybe this one looked confused because it though it should be taller?

Though, to be fair, any dog jumping out of a wall would have the potential to be inherently scary.

I used to see a black cat sitting in the door way of a house I had years ago. I had a black cat at the time, but this one seemed to be superimposed on one of the tabbies I had, almost a blurred version. I would shrug it off as being sleepy or something, but the time slip/dimension thing seems to make some sense. After all, I did have a black cat, it did sit in that same door way, just not at those times when I saw the super imposed version. Mmm?

escargot1 said:
I'm bumping this thread especially for AngelAlice, as it's one of my favourite IHTM stories. Enjoy. :D

One of my faves too :). Little black dogs jumping out of walls, hearing aids teleporting - that's the stuff this site is all about

A slightly similar thing happened to me once. My mother was living in an ancient thatched cottage, I was visiting or it might have been before I moved out. We were sitting in a small downstairs room that was used as a main living room as it was easy to heat. It had two couches in it at right angles and we were sitting talking with my mother facing me. My back was to a wall.
As we were talking something small and brown, pretty much like a sparrow, flew out from behind my head and disappeared into the wall about a foot or two past my head. I just caught a quick glimpse but my mother saw it more clearly. Her eyes went huge and she said 'what was that?!!'.
It definitely appeared then vanished, no rational explanation, and we both saw it.

That's soo mad. :D

I just read it out to Techy and he said 'That's weird. It's even weirder than a normal ghost, if a ghost can be said to be normal in the first place, y'know.'

:lol:

marionXXX said:
A slightly similar thing happened to me once. My mother was living in an ancient thatched cottage, I was visiting or it might have been before I moved out. We were sitting in a small downstairs room that was used as a main living room as it was easy to heat. It had two couches in it at right angles and we were sitting talking with my mother facing me. My back was to a wall.
As we were talking something small and brown, pretty much like a sparrow, flew out from behind my head and disappeared into the wall about a foot or two past my head. I just caught a quick glimpse but my mother saw it more clearly. Her eyes went huge and she said 'what was that?!!'.
It definitely appeared then vanished, no rational explanation, and we both saw it.

Big moth?

Mythopoeika said:
marionXXX said:

Big moth?

Too big and quick for a moth, I caught a glimpse of a brown wing. The whole event took just seconds.
The cottage wasn't particularly haunted despite its great age, sometimes at night my mother would hear people talking downstairs, that was about it.

zygmunt_rocks_on said:
When I shared a flat with my mate John, we were sat in the living room waiting for our girlfriends to return from a night out. Sure enough, we heard them laughing and crashing through the front door... I went to the hallway to greet them, but they weren't there. Me and John looked at each other and didn't know what to think! About 10 minutes later, we heard exactly the same noises, but this time they were really there.

If dimension slips do occur, noise related ones might be far more common than visual ones. There's background and ambient noise all around us that we take for granted... we may just not notice, for example, a dog barking in the same way we would seeing a dog leap out of a wall!

I'm sure I posted this before, but it fits in with your time slip thingy! A few years ago, over the space of a couple of weeks, I had the experience of seeing future events.

Each time I would be at the kitchen sink with a window overlooking the garden path. I saw my husband coming up the path with two white bags of shopping...... I went to the door to help with the bags - he was not there. He came about 15 minutes later (with bags). Second time it was my son, same thing again, he arrived soon after. Last time I saw my stepson with a figure dressed in black. Again, no one was there, my stepson then turned up with a complete stranger, a male dancer friend who was wearing a black shirt and black jeans.

I would have shaken it off as a daydream of a familiar sight had I not seen the stranger in black.

The dog-out-of-a-wall scenario stirred a vivid memory from early childhood, long treated as a fever-dream. Though it happened when I was about six years old, I remember looking to my younger brother some years later for confirmation that it had really happened, so vivid was the memory. He could not give any such confirmation so it was probably* just a nightmare. Yet reading this thread brought it back:

The dream involved the terrifying descent from an area above the picture-rail of a wolf-life dog: it leapt into the room and lost itself in the clutter of the bedroom. The dream went on to include a sequence in which my parents persuaded me that the phantom was not real, despite them clearly directing a hideous creature out of the room. Whenever I see one of those representations of a leaping predator frozen in space, I think of that half-dog emerging from the frieze. :shock:

* My brother was three! What did he know!

OMG! This thread is mental

And I've had something almost identical to what happened to marionXXX happen to me!

It was about 16 years ago when my, now ex, partner and I lived in an old railway worker's cottage, early Victorian terrace, within spitting distance of the old naval Gaol in Bodmin. My partner and I were sitting in the living room; also at right angles to each other, when I saw something run across the kitchen doorway, to my left, from the far side towards me, on the kitchen side;

It looked exactly, but exactly like a stuffed toy squirrel (called 'Susie') that belonged to one of my sisters. It was far too large and sleek to be a rat or mouse (I'm familiar with both, at close quarters *shudders*) and I distinctly saw the difference in hair length on the tail compared to the body; there was no naked rat or mouse tail there.

I instantly swung my head round to look and my partner said, "you saw it too then."

I immediatly got up and looked round the door to check if it was something real, but there was nothing here and nowhere it could have gone; it was solid wall, under the stairs. When we discussed it, my partner had seen exactly the same creature (well, at least at the time I believed he had; knowing what I know now about his mental health, I'm not so sure).

The weird thing is, I wasn't very mentally healthy at the time, and not long afterwards (less than six months I'd guess), I had a psychiatrist ask me if I ever saw small animals out of the corner of my eye; and I was so taken aback (and didn't want her to think I was mad, go figure!) that I said, "no", but I've often wondered why she asked me that.

I saw the giant paw of a black cat in a bedsit in my late teens as well, also on my left side, out of the corner of my eye; that moved from top left to bottom right though, as oppsed to top right to bottom left, like the 'squirrel'

I'm thoroughly spooked now, thank you very much :lol:

Looks like we've uncovered a mystery mammals indoors phenomenon. I'm sort of reminded of those whooping, impossible to catch feather boas from Vision On. Did they have basis in fact?!

Fluttermoth, what is the point of talking to a therapist if you don't tell her the truth? She was probably going to tell you it was a standard symptom of something and would go away when thus-and-so was resolved. How she would have felt about your partner seeing the same thing...well, that's another matter.

It was probably Suzie. The stuffed animals try hard to follow the "humans mustn't see us move" rule, but sometimes it's not possible. I expect there was a crisis going down; she may have had to rescue a teddy bear or something.

PeniG said:
Fluttermoth, what is the point of talking to a therapist if you don't tell her the truth? She was probably going to tell you it was a standard symptom of something and would go away when thus-and-so was resolved. How she would have felt about your partner seeing the same thing...well, that's another matter.
I know, it's ridiculous looking back on it now, but at the time I'd managed to convince myself that I was psychotic and that I'd be instantly sectioned if anyone found out :(
As for my partner; I'm inclined now to think that he was a natural cold reader and that's how he managed to be so spooky and freak people out by knowing so much stuff about them.

It was probably Suzie. The stuffed animals try hard to follow the "humans mustn't see us move" rule, but sometimes it's not possible. I expect there was a crisis going down; she may have had to rescue a teddy bear or something.
:lol:
I like that idea very much :D

i think but correct me someone who knows better that seeing black dots or -insects- out of the corner of the eye is related to depression ... i think its mentioned on the beck tests or similar and may be related to the way peripheral vision is impacted by depression or psychoses ... i dont think it applies to sizeable mammals or rodents ...

1st time poster here.

This thread reminded me of something which happened in my house some 5 or 6 years ago.

I was in the kitchen one evening when something suddenly came out either from under the skirting board where there is a small gap, or possibly under the fridge, which is also a small gap, shot across the floor, and disappeared into the opposite corner of the room where the dishwasher is. I moved this gingerly to see if I could see anything but of course nothing was there, and no large holes to escape. The kitchen is very small so the distance it covered was about 7 or 8 feet from where it emerged to where it disappeared.

I was fairly freaked by it because it seemed to me about the size of a small cat! I wasn't looking directly at it as I wasn't expecting it so I saw it out of the corner of my eye. I was standing at a work surface no more than 3 feet from where it emerged & it came & went in about 1 or 2 seconds with some vigorous scrabbling.

I've had mouse appearances occasionally pretty much ever since I've lived here so am used to seeing them from time to time. It's a terraced house & they move in for a while then disappear, presumably next door & beyond. Some months or even years later they reappear, stay for a while, then move on again. I've caught a few in traps but they're impossible to get rid of completely. They can get in the spaces between ceiling & floor above & make quite a racket scrabbling across this. The first time this happened it freaked me a bit as it sounded like a much bigger animal, squirrel possibly. They can also get through absolutely tiny spaces that you'd think were impossible.

Anyway I digress slightly but the point is, I'd seen mice before and they're typically pretty small but this, whatever it was, was way bigger and moved much faster than the mice I've seen. It obviously can't have been a cat & the only other animal I think could fit the bill is a rat. I've [touches wood] never had a rat problem so am dubious about this as an explanation. The space it emerged from is much too small for the size of creature I perceived. It's baffled me ever since.

Mice, rats and (to a certain extent) cats can dislocate their joints in order to squeeze through small holes...but that sounds quite amazing.

i have a strange "memory?" but not of anything coming out the wall, but something diserpearing into the wall.
i cant say if it was a dream or not. i do remember i used to have 2 different dreams that used to happen on a regular basis and i know i used ot have to usual kiddy nightmares but i cant remember any of those so were probably the usual things that scare kids.
but this one particular time i honestly dont know if i was awake or asleep, it always seems to me that i was wide awake when it happened.

i was in a cot bed in my parents room i guess i was a bout 3 (unsure of exact age)
and im standing up in the bed holding onto the side bars and my parents are asleep in their bed and all of a sudden a small airplane flys through the window(curtains closed) and it flys across the room towards me but almost skimming the ceiling and flys over my head and diserpearing into the wall behind me.
i could see the cockpit lights on and i could see the people inside flying it?

you will probably say it was a dream but it seemed so real. my repeating dreams were weird but i knew they were dreams while i was dreaming them.
but this one i cant explai n at all

OK, now we have to expand this newly identified phenomenon from merely strange animals zipping across rooms to strange zooming objects as well. This is getting more intriguing by the day!

And just a few months ago I wrote to FT to remind them of the Epworth Poltergeist in Lincolnshire, 1716-1717:

Mrs. Wesley, in a letter to her son, writes that she was called to the nursery by one of the terrified Wesley daughters: "Upon my looking under the bed, something ran out pretty much like a badger, and seemed to run directly under Emily's petticoats, who sat opposite to me on the other side."

And from Graham J. McEwan's Mystery Animals of Britain and Ireland:

In December, 1883, Mrs. Charlotte E. Field wrote an article for the magazine Merry England in which she described the strange things that had happened at her house in Montpellier Terrace, Cheltenham, since her arrival there in 1874. These included crashing noises, as if heavy objects had fallen, running foot-steps, talking and whispering sounds, and the appearance of two apparitions, one of a girl, and one of a woman. More frightening than all this, however, was the following incident, which was later described by Mrs. Field's two daughters. The younger girl stated:

"My sister always teased me for being afraid of ghosts; but, one night, she herself got really frightened. She was standing by my bed, and mother and the maid were talking outside in the passage, when I heard something under my bed, and asked my sister to look. She laughed, and said it was nothing; but while she looked, about a dozen black creatures, like toads, only with horns and a tail, came out from under the bed, and ran over my sister's foot and across the room, disappearing down the wainscot to return no more."

HenryFort said:
i think but correct me someone who knows better that seeing black dots or -insects- out of the corner of the eye is related to depression ... i think its mentioned on the beck tests or similar and may be related to the way peripheral vision is impacted by depression or psychoses ... i dont think it applies to sizeable mammals or rodents ...

Up to a few years ago, I had in my front room one of those rather garish 1970s carpets with what I can best describe as a repeating pattern of sunbursts on it, each consisting of a centre with rays radiating out from it, the whole unit being about 10" across, repeating over all the carpet.

In the evenings, watching TV by dim lighting, I would be continually annoyed by thinking I could see small dark things moving about by the edges of the room, about the same size and speed of motion as large house spiders. I even went looking for these a few times; no joy (except for the very few times when there actually was a spider about).

Then I changed the carpet to a lighter, brownish-beige mixed texture one; much more neutral with no striking pattern to it. The visual hallucinations of small moving objects ceased and have never returned; I can only conclude that it was this striking sunburst pattern which directly caused the illusion of moving objects.

this thread reminded me of something. About 2 weeks ago i was dog sitting at my parents, sitting on the sofa with my lap top. Our dog (a husky) was sleeping in the garden when i went to check on him shortly after my parents left. After an hour or so he came running into the front room like he was being chased and behind him was a man, i saw him for a few seconds as i turned my head to see our dog entering the room and heard his footprints that were exactly like a person wearing trainers on our hardwood floor, as well as our dogs claws as he ran across the floor. Needless to say, this scared me somewhat and i clutched my chest in the way people do when they`ve been startled. The whole thing lasted seconds, my dog continued to run into the room and stop and the man disappeared, i did not see him disappear, he took a few steps into the room and as i recovered and was about to say "who are you?" he was no longer there. My brother and his friends sometimes jump the gates in an attempt to scare me but they never do as i always hear the gate rattle. There was no gate rattle, just my dog running and the man being there, then not. This scared me so much that i went to the kitchen to lock the back door closed and i also rounded the corner slowly as i thought somebody was waiting for me. I briefly saw his face (nobody i recognised) and he was dressed in black. My dog who clearly looked like he`d been followed by somebody into the house had the body language of "look whos here! maybe he`ll play with me!" and he really wasn`t concerned that there was a stranger in the house. Hes not the best guard dog, hes effective at scaring people with his looks (hes incredibly wolfy!) but thats it!

I spoke to my fiance about it and he seemed to think maybe i was watching something on my laptop and as i turned my head i still had the image on my retina, but i wasn`t watching anything, i was looking at fail blog!

Back