• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Dog That Leaped Out Of My Wall

The 'feet and tail missing' thing may have been due to frostbite. At some point in its past, the cat may have been left outside in the snow and couldn't get back in.

Unfortunately, that does happen, Mythopoeika and all too often. This cats ears were perfect. The ears would be the first to go in a frostbite situation. Especially if it were a severe enough case to loose it's paws and part of it's tail.

a severe enough case to loose it's paws

I'm hoping they were not amputated to make the poor thing an indoors-cat.

I have not actually heard of paws being amputated for this reason but I did know of owners whose cats' sole experience of outdoors was a litter-tray on a balcony. :(

I have not actually heard of paws being amputated for this reason but I did know of owners whose cats' sole experience of outdoors was a litter-tray on a balcony. :(

It may not have even been disabled. It was just the best way I could describe it's appearance. It may just have been a stumpy looking breed of cat. I have been looking for a picture for hours now and the best I could come up with were these two below. It really did remind me of an anime cat. The exception being that it had brown eyes.

61UAmPDqlvL._SX425_.jpg
index.jpeg

About 8 years ago. I had just finished showering. I still had a towel wrapped around my hair. I was getting ready to go for Christmas dinner at a friends house, when I heard a cat crying in the hallway. This is a pet free building so, it was pretty strange for me to hear this cat on the second floor. The only way up here is by elevator or by several heavy doors that lead to stairs. At first I just shrugged it off. The cry continued intermittently as I was taking the towel off my hair. I decided to go check. As I wondered the hall, I could still hear the cry but, could not see anything. I said out loud in a normal voice, "Where are you?" and I heard a woman's voice say, "Here in 210. Can you here me? I fell and I can't get up." Long story short, she was rescued.

Fast forward to 2 days ago, I heard a cat crying in the hallway. lol

I instantly thought someone has fallen again and even though I was still in my nightgown, I opened the door to listen. As I peeked out, to my surprise, there was a black cat sitting outside apartment 210. By the size of it I decided that it looked to be about 10 months old. The lady I talked about had died about 5 years ago, in hospital and a new tenant lived there.

I stepped out into the hallway and said, "Hi." It looked right at me and stopped crying. I leaned forward and stretched out my hand. It came running toward me. I'm not sure how to describe this other than to say, it had no paws. It ran perfectly normal, in other words it had no problem running and it also had what looked to be the end of it's tail missing. It was completely black and it had chestnut brown eyes. This puzzled me and I guess it showed on my face because it stopped short about 2 feet away from me. It stared intensely into my eyes for about 3 seconds. I said, "It's okay." but, it took off running in the opposite direction and disappeared around the corner. I just shrugged and went back inside my apartment and shut the door. No matter how hard I tried to forget about it, I couldn't. So, I went back out and looked around the corner, it wasn't there so I went further. It was cowering under a table in the common area. I tried again to get it to come to me but, it didn't move.

Because it looked so scared, I decided not to approach and went back to my apartment and got a bowl of water and put it under the table a few inches away from the cat. I used a almost whisper voice and said a few things to calm it and it did seem to soften. I could tell by the way it's eyes went from round and terrified to relaxed and half opened. I also decided that it was a fully grown cat with a stumpy build ? Then I went back to my place and sent an email to our resident, "knows everything that goes on in the building" person. Every apartment building has one of those people, am I right? lol

I described the cat, told her exactly where it was located, and asked if she knew who it belonged to, then waited for a response. I heard the hallway door slam, which means someone came up or down from the stairs onto my floor. Then about 5 minutes later, she responded saying she went up there, there was no cat, just a small bowl of water sitting on top of the table. She went on to say that the owner must live on my floor and came out and took it back in.

Last night, I went to lay down around 6:30pm and I heard that cat crying again except this time, it was coming from outside my bedroom window. I just remember thinking, wow, that cat really gets around and then fell asleep. This morning I received an email from "knows everything that goes on in the building" person, saying that she heard a cat crying outside but, when she looked there was nothing there.

It's probably nothing but, the weird appearance of the animal having no paws and the fact that I seem to be the only one that can see it has me a little freaked out. lol

Now, this reminds me of several reports of human apparitions. Bear with me here!

Is there any chance that your apartment building corridor is either (a) thickly carpeted or (b) an older building that is likely to have been re-floored over the years?

I am reminded of the Roman soldier 'ghosts' seen in York https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/features/by-the-look-of-you-youve-seen-the-romans - their legs seemed 'cut off' at a certain level and couldn't be seen - later excavations found an original Roman road beneath the floor - and having been built over so many times, what was now a cellar floor was considerably higher.

If it was a 'ghost' cat from a time when the floor surface was, say, half-an-inch lower than it is now then maybe that was why you couldn't see the cat's paws? Giving an impression of little stumpy paw-less legs?

It's a phenomenon that lends more credence to the 'stone tape' or dimensional/time slip hypotheses of 'ghosts' ; seeing a replay or something/someone that's temporarily crossed into a slightly different time.

Last edited:
Now, this reminds me of several reports of human apparitions. Bear with me here!

Is there any chance that your apartment building corridor is either (a) thickly carpeted or (b) an older building that is likely to have been re-floored over the years?

I am reminded of the Roman soldier 'ghosts' seen in York https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/features/by-the-look-of-you-youve-seen-the-romans - their legs seemed 'cut off' at a certain level and couldn't be seen - later excavations found an original Roman road beneath the floor - and having been built over so many times, what was now a cellar floor was considerably higher.

If it was a 'ghost' cat from a time when the floor surface was, say, half-an-inch lower than it is now then maybe that was why you couldn't see the cat's paws?

It's a phenomenon that lends more credence to the 'stone tape' or dimensional/time slip hypotheses of 'ghosts' ; seeing a replay or something/someone that's temporarily crossed into a slightly different time.

It is a really old building. The flooring has been changed many times throughout the decades. It used to belong to a church, I forget which denomination it was. There is a graveyard right across the street that still belongs to the same church and it runs parallel in both directions. It's at least a mile long and two city blocks deep. The building is probably about 70-80 years old. That's old for Edmonton, Alberta. lol

Yeah they say that declawing a cat is very cruel. I don't know what the law is in your area but, cats are not allowed to roam free here. They must be on a leash or confined to a caged run when outdoors in your yard.

It is a really old building. The flooring has been changed many times throughout the decades. It used to belong to a church, I forget which denomination it was. There is a graveyard right across the street that still belongs to the same church and it runs parallel in both directions. It's at least a mile long and two city blocks deep. The building is probably about 70-80 years old. That's old for Edmonton, Alberta. lol

Ooooooooooh! So maybe the kitty was in his/her time when the floor might have been a little lower! I love the idea of a time-travelling cat!

There is in fact a cat mutation with short legs, a Munchkin. There aren't a lot of them around. They don't breed true.

http://images2.minutemediacdn.com/i...8/v1555912725/shape/mentalfloss/munchkin1.jpg

Yes! It looked very much like that except it was all black with brown eyes. Thank you. I spent hours today trying to find a picture that matched it's appearance. The big difference being that there was no bend at the "ankle" where the paw would be when it came toward me.

Mystery solved. It belongs to someone on my floor that is obviously not responsible enough to take care of a pet. I guess they are to socially active and kitty just keeps getting the short end of the stick. It's getting really cold here especially at night and the "knows everything that goes on in the building" person is telling me that kitty has been sitting outside her window crying each night until 204 gets home and lets it in. She is going to call the ASPCA tomorrow.

Our ASPCA is a no kill shelter and they are very strict about who they allow to adopt a pet. Kitty will have a much better chance of finding a loving, forever home from there. Especially with those great big beautiful brown eyes. :)

Mystery solved. It belongs to someone on my floor that is obviously not responsible enough to take care of a pet. I guess they are to socially active and kitty just keeps getting the short end of the stick. It's getting really cold here especially at night and the "knows everything that goes on in the building" person is telling me that kitty has been sitting outside her window crying each night until 204 gets home and lets it in. She is going to call the ASPCA tomorrow.

Our ASPCA is a no kill shelter and they are very strict about who they allow to adopt a pet. Kitty will have a much better chance of finding a loving, forever home from there. Especially with those great big beautiful brown eyes. :)
People should simply not have a pet if they cannot care for it. Also, a flat is probably not ideal for pets.

About 40 years back we had a works cat, it was well looked after being on the payroll for food
and vets everyone looked after it. Called Tomy but was in fact a female it had a very long and happy
life, it had one strange trate, it did not seem to feel pain, we had a open fire in the mess room and
Tommy would curl up and go to sleep right under the grate, the number of times I dragged it out smoking
you would not believe, the tips of it's ears toes and tail were all gone, it took a hell of a lot of fireguards
and such she would hook the out and go for a cook, bloody strange but a dam good mouser.

That's good but can you or your neighbor just take it in? Sorry I'm too far away to help.

I think she wants to keep it. :sneaky2: She says that over the past few days she has fallen in love with it.:D
Is your building 'pet free' because nobody has any, or because they aren't allowed? If the latter, would she be able to?

Going back to the very first post in this thread and ghostly black dogs jumping out of walls, I remember an almost identical tale of a black dog suddenly appearing from a wall being told in a letter to FT back in about 1998. Why do I randomly remember one letter from 22 years ago you may ask? Well, at the time I lived alone in a flat in Bristol and was having terrible trouble sleeping, so I would read late into the night. The particular night I was reading this letter, it was about 3 in the morning and I recall the author of the letter had unusually listed where they lived when it happened. You guessed it, my exact (shortish) road in Bristol! Needless to say, this didn't help my sleeping. :)

A close friend once witnessed a sparrow like bird materialise through the garden wall at an old property I once rented. Low down in the brickwork. Located beside a canal and some open land, my friend discovered after a bit of research that the house lay over a brook/stream coming from the canal and heading towards a river further down the lane (an overflow??). We read at the time that this could make a dwelling susceptible to strange phenomena. Not so sure about the details for that.

A few other strange things happened during my time there: One early evening, I opened the kitchen door half way to let some cooking steam out of the room. I think this was around November and the garden was in darkness. In a split second - difficult to describe how quick - I felt someone rush at me towards the door, felt the air move as they sped forward even, the sound of heavy boots, my hair almost stood up with shock. I slammed the door and locked it immediately, slammed the outdoor light on and peered out through the window - nothing. I absolutely 'felt' and heard this but no one was there.

This was also the place where I saw a white, slightly luminous mist slump over my garden wall one brightly lit afternoon. It appeared beside my little shed and floated a couple of feet to the wall then just sort of flumped over it as if it was tired. It sparkled very slightly. God only knows what that was.

As for people being where they shouldn't:
When i was around 15, straight after school one afternoon, sat in the living room watching tv, I saw my mother come out of the kitchen, enter the room I was in, rush through and head for the stairs. I then heard her going up the stairs and mooching around on the landing above my head. Immediately, she popped her head out of the kitchen to ask me something - I was stunned. There was no way she could have come back downstairs, pass through the living room and on in to the kitchen again in that... millisecond.
I told her right away and she looked possibly even more shocked and disturbed than I was. She hadn't left the kitchen.
Who had I seen? What was impersonating my mother? It looked like her, yet I do recall lazily wondering why she had no expression or vitality about her at the time. By no means the darkest but definitely the creepiest experience I can recall.

As for people being where they shouldn't:
When i was around 15, straight after school one afternoon, sat in the living room watching tv, I saw my mother come out of the kitchen, enter the room I was in, rush through and head for the stairs. I then heard her going up the stairs and mooching around on the landing above my head. Immediately, she popped her head out of the kitchen to ask me something - I was stunned. There was no way she could have come back downstairs, pass through the living room and on in to the kitchen again in that... millisecond.
I told her right away and she looked possibly even more shocked and disturbed than I was. She hadn't left the kitchen.
Who had I seen? What was impersonating my mother? It looked like her, yet I do recall lazily wondering why she had no expression or vitality about her at the time. By no means the darkest but definitely the creepiest experience I can recall.
I think I have mentioned on here before about my school friend, who lived in a big old Victorian house. Her younger sister once saw an apparition of their mother, drained of all colour, at the top of the stairs when the o=mother wasn't even in the house.

A close friend once witnessed a sparrow like bird materialise through the garden wall at an old property I once rented.
This one is probably very simple. The sparrow was probably just nesting there. Birds can squeeze through unbelievably tiny gaps as they are mainly a bunch of feathers with a very light, flexible skeleton.

The rest is really creepy and scary though.:eek: I am glad you moved out.

This one is probably very simple. The sparrow was probably just nesting there. Birds can squeeze through unbelievably tiny gaps as they are mainly a bunch of feathers with a very light, flexible skeleton.

The rest is really creepy and scary though.:eek: I am glad you moved out.
Especially if it was a wren. They are tiny and can be perched on or near a wall and not be seen until they fly off. Agree about the rest though.

Especially if it was a wren. They are tiny and can be perched on or near a wall and not be seen until they fly off. Agree about the rest though.
However, nesting birds in walls aren't known for their quietness... surely you would know.

However, nesting birds in walls aren't known for their quietness... surely you would know.
Not nesting, you're right that would probably result in noise; but I've seen wrens "work" a wall picking off small insects seeds etc. They sometimes freeze if someone approaches but if you get too close fly off. They are very quiet, no alarm call like a blackbird for instance. I've had a few WTF moments in the garden when one I've not noticed suddenly flies from the wall to a bush or some other cover in front of me.

Back