• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Dog That Turned Into Green Mist, Cows Standing On Hind Legs & Other Cases Of Gibbering Insanity

I remember the large maggot thing from the Unexplained!

In one of Jenny Randles' books (Aliens - The Real Story) she refers to a sighting by a young boy on holiday with his parents in Wales, where he climbs up a small hill, looks down into the dip below him and is confronted by some large gelatinous blob entities near a landed object. He was so horrified by the encounter he temporarily went deaf and blind and was reportedly quite ill for some time afterwards.

Most bizarre...

Well, as far as weirdness goes, it is accepted these days in exobiology (if such a discipline can be said to exist) that aliens would be the result of billions of years of separate evolution. so humanoid aliens would be a vanishingly small percentage of the total.
Maggots and blobs are far more likely, and when we finally meet them, real aliens will look very different to humans indeed.

Now we're getting at the maggots in question.
That must be a real shock for any vaguely Fortean-type child; you see a UFO landing and think you're about to meet ET or at least some funky blonde disco Venusians. And what do you get? Maggots.

I shall look up Yssandon online. Thank you all, but keep the high strangeness cases coming in as you spot them!

MrHyde said:
you see a UFO landing and think you're about to meet ET or at least some funky blonde disco Venusians. And what do you get? Maggots.

Imagine the Villas-Boas case with the maggot scenario! Ugh!!

For a good range of alien encounter (or whatever they may be)
illustrations, check out "Faces of the Visitors" by Kevin Randle.

TVgeek

I've got a version of the Yssandon story at last, but it was so mangled by the auto-translator I let loose on it (it was in French) that I'll just summarise the gist: couple in a car see a big red light in the sky some distance away. Suddenly something described as maggot-like crosses the road, followed by a few more, all the size of a sack of potatoes.

They were described as being amoebal sack-like masses of protoplasm (stuff) which moved like maggots.

How very, very pleasant.

In the above mentioned "Faces of the Visitors",
one of the cases illustrated:

- The Domsten Contact, Sweden 1958
4 foot long, 14-inch wide lead-grey slugs with no extremeties
wrapped themselves around two men and tried to drag them toward a hovering disc. (These sound more like devices than beings... but no other lifeform was seen.)

Also, Betty Andreasson mentioned slug-like beings
in her encounters, as well. She also saw dozens of small
creatures with no heads, just a pair of eyestalks coming
from the "neck-area". She claimed to have seen then
absolutely swarming up and down a wall.

In another case, a slant-eyed hairy alien is seen with a 3rd, humanlike eye in the middle of its forehead.

There is also a very interesting photo from (where else) South America that shows a 5-inch creature being preserved in a jar.
The creature was said to be blue-skinned with yellow eyes, and was said to laugh like a child when it was still alive. Like the more recent "preserved humanoid" it lived with the family for a time before dying.

Fun stuff!

TVgeek

Recent high-strangeness reports

Found this collection of 2003 'high-strangeness' encounters by Albert S Rosales, who collects encounter reports and has made year-by-year summaries.

ufoinfo.com/news/humanoid2003.shtml
Link is valid, but the content is no longer available online. The original webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20030804153430/http://www.ufoinfo.com/news/humanoid2003.shtml

Not all are particularly what I would refer to as high-strangeness, although there are a couple which are. Also, it seems that he's not particularly concerned about where he sources the reports from as there is one case which he has taken from this very message board! Still it's an interesting collection.

Here's one particularly weird one:

Location. Concord, North Carolina
Date: April 21 2003
Time: 2000
The witness had finished his shift a local (manufacturing) plant and had stepped out onto the dock behind a large pile of pallets to have a smoke. There he had the feeling of being watched, he whirled around expecting to see a co-worker instead he saw a large purple light emanating from a tear-drop shaped craft with a round bottom that's was hovering nearby. The craft had a concave windshield. Behind the windshield he could see two glowing lights or eyes. They moved independent to one another, apparently not attached to the same being. Terrified, the witness ran and unable to scream pointed out the object to a lift operator. At this point a beam of white light shot out from the object and struck the forklift. Immediately the electrical system on the lift shut down and the operator screamed. The witness next memory was of sitting in the plant manager's office getting oxygen and a cool rag on his head.

HC addendum
Source: NUFORC
Type: A or G?

I really just wanted an excuse to bump this thread as high-strangeness UFO encounters are something I find particularly interesting. Anyone got anymore old or new weird cases to share?

Last edited by a moderator:
Brad Steiger mentions quite a few odd entities in his book 'Strange Visitors From Time and Space'. I think that was the title anyhow, it's a long time since I lost the book.

My favourites are the 'amoeba like' beings encountered in Sweden and the small tin cans(!) seen walking down a road in North America.

Are those the tin cans that John Keel mentions in a few of his books? 'Animated tin cans six inches high' is the description he gave. Anyone with further info?

Most of Keel's quoted cases are High Strangeness, but my favourite is the old man who went for a walk in the small hours. On some nearby waste ground he saw, not a UFO, but a big shed. A voice called out to him and he was seized by a weird panic and ran home to get his gun. On returning, the shed was gone...

And, of course, the case of the guy who met some entities outside their traditional saucer. They were having the usual chat when suddenly a disembodied voice screamed "I am Jimmy Hoffa!"

The really odd thing about that one was that the witness was about as reliable as they come, as I recall. He was apparently very embarrassed by the sheer absurdity of what had happened to him!

I found this
Radio announcer James Townsend of station KEYL, in Long Prairie, Minnesota, claimed that he saw three "animated tin cans" six inches high around a rocket-shaped device in the center of Highway 27 on October 23, 1965. Townsend says he watched the object take off with a bright glow and a loud humming sound. He led the local police to the site and they observed a large, glowing sphere in the sky over the area.
here.

Link is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20061230234450/http://users.ev1.net/~seektress/tincan2.htm

[Edit]
More details here.
Link is dead. No archived version found.

And here
And from Long Prairie, Minnesota on October 23, 1965, came the following weird report: "'I was going to knock one over and try to grab it, but that's when I got scared.' That's why James Towsley, 19, radio announcer for station KEYL in Long Prairie didn't bring back one of the 'things' he said he encountered on a highway near the town. Towsley said the creatures resembled tin cans, stood on tripod legs and had two 'arms' about the size of matchsticks projecting from their sides. Three of the 'things' were standing under a 'rocket ship' when he first spotted them. 'It was about 7:15 p.m. and I was coming back from Little Falls on Highway 27 when I rounded a bend.
All of a sudden my engine stopped, my lights went out and my radio stopped playing. I let the car coast and then I put on the brakes because I saw this thing in the center of the highway. It was like a rocket ship. It was about 30-feet tall and about 10 feet in diameter. It was sitting on fins.
Then I saw them. They were standing in a big circle of light under the ship. I jumped out of my car and was going to knock one over but then they came at me. They came right up to the car. There were three of them. They had no eyes or anything. Just those tripod legs and the matchstick arms. They were like tin cans. The size of a beer can. I was going to grab one but then I figured that if they could stop my car and put out my lights they could do
something awful to me.
So we just stood there looking at each other and then they turned around and scooted back under the ship. The light was so bright I didn't see where they went. Then there was a high-pitched humming sound and the ship took off straight up. It went up about a quarter of a mile, stopped for a moment and then disappeared. When the lights on the bottom went out after it was up in the air, my car radio and lights came on - and my engine started without having to touch the starter. I drove 90 miles an hour back to Long Prairie to report what I saw, but I wondered if people would believe me. I was sure of two things - the rocket (it towered above the trees along the road) was a spaceship of some kind and the three objects that came out
of it were creatures like nothing else in the animal world I've ever seen.
They definitely were not people as I know them.'
The landing site was investigated by Long Prairie Police Officer
Laverne Luwitz. 'The only thing we found were three strips of an oil-like substance on the road. They were about a yard long and four inches apart, all parallel with the road. I don't know what they were but I've looked at a lot of roads and never saw anything like them before.' Three youths who had been hunting coons in the same area reported seeing 'a light in the sky' at the same time James said the object took off."

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, that's the story as I remember it.

I'm just confused now as to whether the book I mentioned was by Steiger or Keel. :confused:

Another good one from the same book (I'm beginning to remember now!), was the entity stood by the side of a road in, IIRC, New Jersey. It was described as humanlike but with a large, flat, orange head.

Maggot story from French (the best I can manage, so please ignore the errors)...

Mr. and Mrs. Plumauzille were driving on the D 151 at around 11pm. Suddenly Mr. Plumauzille sees a red fuzzy red glow, at tree-top height, to the right of the road. He sees it rise up and realises that he is only one hundred meters from it. Instantly he sees, to the right of the road, illuminated by the headlights, a blob the size of a large sack of potatoes, that seems to shrink and turn inside out (?). With his wife, he then witnesses several of these grey-brown blobs, smaller than the first, thrashing around in the grass. At least two cross the road and disappear into the weeds. The witnesses believe these things moved by contracting their bodies, with inflation and deflation of their blisters (?) prompting them to think of an animal trapped in a transparent plastic bag.

My favourite high strangeness case is the one about Jean Hingley and the Christmas aliens.

Here's a version of it from http://www.thelosthaven.co.uk

Location. Rowley Regis West Midlands England
Date: January 4 1979 Time: 0700A
Jean Hingley had waved goodbye to her husband while he went off to work in a bitter cold morning when she saw a light in the garden. Thinking he had left the carport lit, she went to investigate, but it was dark, so she returned to the kitchen. She put down some food for Hobo, the family Alsatian and called him from the garden, but he flopped down as if drugged and gazed at the ceiling, glassy-eyed.

Then, with a "zee---zee-zee" noise, three weird creatures flew past into the lounge. They were only 3-1/2 feet tall and had waxy white faces and coal-black eyes with no eyebrows and very thin mouths. They wore silvery clothes, with a transparent bubble-type helmet over their heads. These humanoids also had transparent "wings" and floated. Jean was clinging to the sink paralyzed but then, she says, she suddenly floated towards the lounge.

Jean noticed that the aliens were inspecting the ornaments on the Christmas tree with interest. They also probed into her mind with telepathy---"It was like a light or an X-ray penetrating." They told her she would not be harmed and, when she asked where they were from, they said (or rather she could not tell which one said), "We come from the sky." The she explained why the house was all dressed up to celebrate Jesus birthday. "We know all about Jesus," they claimed.

They said they would return and, "We come down here to talk to people but they don't seem to be interested." Finally when she showed them how to light a cigarette they fled as if in terror, taking a mince pie each with them. Outside, on her garden, was an egg shaped object with windows. They floated into it, and it took off, emitting a bluish flash and pulsating twice before disappearing with a flash. The dog returned to normal, and Jean called the police.

The electric clock in the house had stopped, and all her cassette tapes were magnetized and unplayable. In the snow where the object had sat, was an oval outline, which the local UFO group was able to photograph before the snow melted.

HC addition # 440
Source: Alfred Budden, Fortean Times # 50, Jenny Randles "Abduction" Type: B

I'm sure I read another version where her Christmas tree disappeared a few days after, though. And she also had problems with her eyes for a while later.

The delightful Hingley story also appeared in the Unexplained part-work.

Nothing about her eyes or a disappearing tree though. It says that after
the beings had left, Jean was left "warm and happy".

So maybe between the mince pies and the cigarettes, something got missed
out. :p

Two of my particular favourites:

1962 - Student on motorcycle attacked by round-headed being with white hair and 3 eyes. Enitity grabbed witness's collar, then did 'a half turn, like a robot' and departed (nr. Bajada Granda, Argentina).

1972 - Driver flagged down by 3 entities in green clothing, with yellow-grey skin. Oval UFO seen on ground nearby. One entity told witness that he was Freddy Miller, a Dominican who had been rescued from drowning by a UFO and taken to Venus to live. Entities then left after a few minutes. Miller, a believer in UFOs, was a real person who had disappeared during a boating expedition in 1959 (Palenque, San Christobal, Dominican Republic).

I too read the Dancing Cows story a couple of years ago and it stayed with me.

So you guys got through the Dancing Cows, but lets see if you can handle the DANCING OWLS!!!

(Edited link).

Yes, it's time to dust off this old thread. Quite frankly, the rest of you wish this badly named abomination would just go away, but it won't. So, in honour of the poor sap who started it (before his fictional demise on the 'Fortean Deaths' thread of this very board), we ask, nay, demand more high strangeness from all our new creatures what have joined us in the interim.

Deep breath. Now for them dancin' owls.

Let's give this thread a five-star rating

This is my absolute favorite thread. I've cast it a 5 star vote, and my understanding is that a certain amount of people have to vote before the rating is shown. So let's show our support and vote 5 stars for this thread! :imo:
Thanks to Dan Higginbottom for starting this thread and for introducing me to the Dancing Cows, which I think is the finest example yet of this sort of story.
Please keep them coming, folks, and I'll be sure to post any I find. So far though, I've found nothing that measures up to this thread! :)

5 stars!

:D I'm so happy now!
Oo, yes, that was a good thread. I'd forgotten about it. Thanks for reminding me. The childhood occurrence story is quite good. I went and cast a 5-star vote on that one too, out of celebratory gratitude.

Childhood, inappropriate responses & high strangeness

In re-reading this thread, a couple of seperate comments kind of clicked together for me here.

1. Children have a thinner demarkation between fantasy and reality
2. People often respond 'inappropriately' in high strangeness situations (offering mince pies to the Christmas aliens...)

I've always understood that point 1 above was something that we were all trained out of during socialization. That is, it's a learned skill.

For point 2, people often act that way in dreams.

Could it be possible, that for some reason or other, perfectly "well adjusted adults" can be induced into a dream-like state where the learned filters of what is real and what is not are not in place? Of course, this would only apply in single-witness cases. If you've got several people all experiencing the same weirdness simultaneously, you've got something else going on.

Re: Childhood, inappropriate responses & high strangenes

Philo T said:
Could it be possible, that for some reason or other, perfectly "well adjusted adults" can be induced into a dream-like state where the learned filters of what is real and what is not are not in place?
This is described first-hand in certain parts of this board. Here for example.

Ah, that 'odd childhood occurrence' thing. I read that thread for the first time last year, in my office building, looking out over a cemetary in the middle of the woods, at 3:30 AM. The penguin thing scared me so badly I could barely make it to the snack machine. Strange really, that sort of stuff never really gets to me...

Take this as another bump. In memory (or meme-ory) of the fictionally demised MrHigginbottom, I will continue to demand stories of high strangeness, especially from newcomers, who usually have the goods.

Mr. Gonzwell

DanHigginbottom said:
...I've recalled a story posted online some years ago, from a guy who had a recurring dream (possibly not) about a mothman type thing called something like 'Mr Gonzalez'. I say possibly not as ISTR that his brother saw the thing too - the reason I mention it is that the creature's appearance was heralded by the radio coming on by itself in the small hours.
You mean Mr. Gonzwell

Do you know, I daren't even look at that bloody link.
OK, here goes.

(...looks at link...)

Eww, that's the fella. Add it to the zoo, boys, there's another one!

Erm, I mean, obviously, I assume that's the one that Dan was talking about, not that I'd know. Ahem.

Interesting set of parallels with the other cases we've discussed, don't you think? The radio coming on, the dreamlike events, the sudden switch into reality with the nosebleed. It reminds me of a story someone pointed me at from this very board, but I can't remember the name...

What I like about that story is the sense of other stuff under the surface...the fact that he describes his home as 'hated', the family stress etc.

I've just remembered another one, I can't recall if it appears earlier on the thread. There was a letter in FT some years back from someone who, as a child, had always been told 'don't look in the cellar', basically because it was dangerous. Obviously, this caused a little reverse psychology and the kid one day opened the cellar door when everyone was out.

And Mickey Mouse was standing on the other side, lifesize.
(sound of eyeballs getting really big all over the world, regardless of whether you believe it or not).

This one's long been a favourite of mine. I've lifted it straight out of 'Mystery Animals of Britain and Ireland' by Graham J McEwan:

On a spring night in 1966, John Farrell and Margaret Johnson were driving along a lonely country road not far from Drogheda, County Louth, in the Republic of Ireland. They were driving past Lord Dillon's estate when a huge animal loomed up in the road ahead. John Farrell braked hard, and he and Miss Johnson were thrown back in their seats. When the girl looked out of the window she saw:

"...a huge horse with a man's face and horrible bulging eyes. I could see by John's face that he saw it too. I think I screamed, but both of us were so frightened that we were paralysed. The thing had a horse's body. But it was the face, leering and hairy and huge which shocked.
The animal stretched right across the road and completely blocked the car. It stayed there for nearly two minutes. We were petrified. Then it vanished. John quickly swung the car around and drove it to my home, about a mile away.
We were so frightened that we drove through the gate and knocked it off the hinges. I woke up my father and both of us told him the same story. We don't drink and two of us couldn't have imagined the same thing."

Margaret's father later commented to the press:

"They must have seen something awful. Both were still terrified when they came in here and each of their descriptions of the ghost tallied, Margaret was very sick for days after the incident."

Back