• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Dog That Turned Into Green Mist, Cows Standing On Hind Legs & Other Cases Of Gibbering Insanity

I wonder if it was some kind of novelty balloon? Not sure what it might have supposed to have been, though.

I've just read up to page 8 and keep seeing the dancing cows story being mentioned but can't find it anywhere and no links work. Does anyone remember what happened or the basic gist of the story?
At the very start someone mentioned the muppets which is super creepy to me because I had an encounter with what I called 'puppet people' poking their head round my door and then coming and tickling me . One of them looked remarkably like Beaker and one looked like Gonzo. They were all in a line poking their heads round my door, I hated it.
I have an odd tale but it was dreams not real life. I used to dream about these cartoon people all the time. Mostly I would just be observing them doing things but sometimes they would see me. Like all turn their heads round to face me and I would feel creeped out. I hated dreaming about them but they featured heavily in my childhood dreams. When I was about 11 or 12 (maybe , I cant remember accurately my age) I had a dream about these cartoon people and one asked me if I wanted them to go. I said yes and they all lined up and started to hug me goodbye. I literally never dreamed about them again. Those are both probably non stories but they're the only ones I have of a bizarre nature.

he dancing cows story

This was on the Obiwan UFO-Free Paranormal Page. It used to be freely browsable but now it seems you have to log in.

Gist of the Dancing Cows story from memory, hope it's accurate -

A child was staying with their grandparents. He/she (can't remember) was looking out of the window one evening waiting for Grandpa's return from work.

It was just after dusk. In the distance Grandchild saw two faint lights, one yellow and one pink. The lights grew nearer and Grandchild noticed that they were actually emanating from two strange figures.

They were cows, standing upright, one glowing pink and one yellow, front legs round each other's shoulders like chorus girls, dancing down the road towards the house.

Grandchild watched for a bit, feeling uneasy, then went to fetch Grandma.

Grandma seemed to know what was going on and seemed highly agitated. She closed the curtains and forbade Grandchild to go near the window. When Grandpa arrived he heard what had been seen and went straight out again, possibly with a gun. He eventually returned safely.

The grandparents refused to discuss the event afterwards and told Grandchild not to either.

Much later, Grandchild met someone else who'd lived in that area as a child and admitted to having seen the same thing. She'd also been sworn to secrecy.

That's it - good innit!

I've just finished the whole thread , so happy I found this , in a weird way! There is something strangely satisfying about stories that make you feel a little uncomfortable if that makes sense ? At the same time I wouldn't welcome anything like this happening to me!
I had no idea people thought the It Happened To Me posts were full of creative writing pieces though. Maybe I shouldn't have put my experiences in there.

A few pages ago someone mentioned that people used It Happened to Me for creative writing and I thought "damn I put it in the wrong thread" Haha. Ah yes reddit does tend to encourage ridiculous posters which is a shame because I love reading real life stories.

This was on the Obiwan UFO-Free Paranormal Page. It used to be freely browsable but now it seems you have to log in.

A child was staying with their grandparents. He/she (can't remember) was looking out of the window one evening waiting for Grandpa's return from work.

It was just after dusk. In the distance Grandchild saw two faint lights, one yellow and one pink. The lights grew nearer and Grandchild noticed that they were actually emanating from two strange figures.

They were cows, standing upright, one glowing pink and one yellow, front legs round each other's shoulders like chorus girls, dancing down the road towards the house.

Grandma seemed to know what was going on and seemed highly agitated. She closed the curtains and forbade Grandchild to go near the window. When Grandpa arrived he heard what had been seen and went straight out again, possibly with a gun. He eventually returned safely.

The grandparents refused to discuss the event afterwards and told Grandchild not to either.

Much later, Grandchild met someone else who'd lived in that area as a child and admitted to having seen the same thing. She'd also been sworn to secrecy.

That's it - good innit!

Now pigs might fly... but dancing cows (and chorus girl style too). Now that's something I'd like to see. In the meantime, there is this:

That's it - good innit!

Ooh... the Dancing Cows... excellent retelling there Escargot, thanks for posting that.

Am I correct in recalling that the grandparents (or possibly just the Grandfather) seemed to know of the phenomenon already? I'm sure I remember that part of the story, but could be wrong. As if they'd seen them already, years before, or summat.

Am I correct in recalling that the grandparents (or possibly just the Grandfather) seemed to know of the phenomenon already? I'm sure I remember that part of the story, but could be wrong. As if they'd seen them already, years before, or summat.

Yup, Grandmother was alarmed when she heard about what Grandchild had seen and appeared to recognise his/her description. Grandfather was bent on seeing them off.

It could all be made up, of course!

Yup, Grandmother was alarmed when she heard about what Grandchild had seen and appeared to recognise his/her description. Grandfather was bent on seeing them off.

It could all be made up, of course!

Made up? The dancing cows? It would be one heck of an imagination to make that up! Therefore I think it must be real.

Not that I want to see it for myself, for confirmation. No surree.

Made up? The dancing cows? It would be one heck of an imagination to make that up! Therefore I think it must be real.

Not that I want to see it for myself, for confirmation. No surree.

I think it's made up, probably for a bet.

I think it's made up, probably for a bet.

Who are you and what have you done with the real Escargot? I thought this was one of your favourite fortean stories! (Or at least, that's the impression I've always had whenever you've mentioned it on here).

:thought:

I just read in another thread on here (I think it's the one about reddit stories) where someones great uncle had never liked horses because they "weren't what they seemed" . Apparently one time he had seen a couple of horses walking up right like people & climbing over a gate the same way. It does seem odd that people would make such bizarre things up . I do think it actually happened or they genuinely think it happened at least.

Who are you and what have you done with the real Escargot? I thought this was one of your favourite fortean stories! (Or at least, that's the impression I've always had whenever you've mentioned it on here).

:thought:

Yup, it certainly is one of my favourites but it's just so mad. It doesn't fit into any mythology or tradition that I've heard of.

What clinches it for me is the detail about the other person who also saw the cows as a child and was sworn to secrecy.

For one thing, there must have been more than two witnesses (plus the adults) so where are the others?
For another, a young child could easily mix up a dream with a real memory. Mentioning a second witness long after the event sounds like someone's making sure we don't think that. It doesn't ring true.

Yup, it certainly is one of my favourites but it's just so mad. It doesn't fit into any mythology or tradition that I've heard of.

What clinches it for me is the detail about the other person who also saw the cows as a child and was sworn to secrecy.

For one thing, there must have been more than two witnesses (plus the adults) so where are the others?
For another, a young child could easily mix up a dream with a real memory. Mentioning a second witness long after the event sounds like someone's making sure we don't think that. It doesn't ring true.

It is mad, but conversely that's what makes me believe it more, cos... who the heck would make that up, you know?

True about conflating dreams with memories though. Always a problem.

True about conflating dreams with memories though. Always a problem.

Yes, Happiness nails it -
I do think it actually happened or they genuinely think it happened at least.

A person can be genuinely convinced of something that's patently not true if they think they've seen it with their own eyes.
In that case they're not lying, they're mistaken which is still hard to admit.

That's the premise of much of the hugely successful song After The Ball, written by Charles K Harris in 1891; a young man sees his girlfriend embracing another man and assumes she is unfaithful. He will not listen to her explanation and only finds out years later that the man was her brother.
OK, she had a lucky escape there, unlike Desdemona! but there you go.

(I was wondering where I knew that song from. It featured in the TV series All You Need Is Love and was mentioned in the book, and it's in Showboat which I've seen a couple of times.)

Am I the only one around here who has known several people who are just full of shit, and make crazy things up for the fun of it? I remember some characters from my childhood, adults who seemed perfectly normal otherwise, who would tell silly stories no one believed. My dad would say things like, "Oh yeah, old Sam. Yeah, he's pretty windy." Turn people like that loose on the internet, and you have no end of entertaining bullshit.

The dancing cow story is brilliant, I agree, but really it's just a story. As Scargy pointed out, it has all the earmarks (har har) of a creative writing project. At least it's a well done creative writing project.

I think the dancing cows sound more like a child's dream. I know several of my kids had VERY vivid dreams when they were young (I particularly remember one of my elder daughters' about two spirals of darkness revolving around on the floor in the living room after she'd followed a ghost downstairs... it was absolutely a dream, but so vivid she almost believed it was real herself).

Yes, Happiness nails it -

A person can be genuinely convinced of something that's patently not true if they think they've seen it with their own eyes.
In that case they're not lying, they're mistaken which is still hard to admit.

That's the premise of much of the hugely successful song After The Ball, written by Charles K Harris in 1891; a young man sees his girlfriend embracing another man and assumes she is unfaithful. He will not listen to her explanation and only finds out years later that the man was her brother.
OK, she had a lucky escape there, unlike Desdemona! but there you go.

(I was wondering where I knew that song from. It featured in the TV series All You Need Is Love and was mentioned in the book, and it's in Showboat which I've seen a couple of times.)
Obviously not a G&S fan.

It's a great story anyway and one I'll remember. The bizarre ones are great because they're so ...bizarre. They really make my tummy flip.
I've mentioned on another thread about my epilepsy. I often hallucinate before a seizure or sometimes if my medication has changed brand (which happened at my last repeat prescription *cough brexit*). I've seen and heard the weirdest things. Safeway carrier bags floating around my bedroom (years after Mr. Morrison took over), giant spiders , salt and pepper holders, hearing people talking. I also have horrible deja vu feelings which I cant explain but at the time I am convinced I don't belong here in this dimension (it's not really deja vu but the only thing I can liken it to). The brain really is a fabulous organ when you think about it.
Thankfully my medication has been sorted for a long time now and those are the weirdest experiences , not like they happen on the daily !

For any thread, Gary Larson has an answer:

car.jpg

another brilliant find by @QuirkyBestiary
June 1964. One woman claimed she had witnessed “strange objects glistening in the sky whizzing over the river toward Liverpool from the Irish Sea.” Soon thereafter in Liverpool, dwarfs appeared to a group of children who claimed they saw “little green men in white hats throwing stones and tiny clods of earth at one another on the bowling green.” Throwing rocks and dirt clods is not the type of behavior one might reasonably expect from members of a highly advanced extraterrestrial race; regardless of physical stature.

- The Inhumanoids

Throwing rocks and dirt clods is not the type of behavior one might reasonably expect from members of a highly advanced extraterrestrial race; regardless of physical stature.

I dunno. Play behavior is a sign of a working intellect.

Back