• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Dog That Turned Into Green Mist, Cows Standing On Hind Legs & Other Cases Of Gibbering Insanity

what does that have to do with philosophy?

to lower primates, not to spacefaring FTL civilizations

Why do you assume they are spacefaring?

Trickster spirits are numerous and most societies speak of them in their folklore.

Also, tricksters can also be clowns and particularly in Native American folklore clowning and laughter is often used to free the mind. Tim Leary would describe it as a step in reprogramming the reality matrix.

You are assuming spacefaring beings would not place any value in play because they have spaceships and must be above all that. You're attributing them with human "grown-up" characteristics and therefore are as guilty if not more so of Anthropomorphism than Alchopawn.

Why do you assume they are spacefaring?

Trickster spirits are numerous and most societies speak of them in their folklore.

Also, tricksters can also be clowns and particularly in Native American folklore clowning and laughter is often used to free the mind. Tim Leary would describe it as a step in reprogramming the reality matrix.

You are assuming spacefaring beings would not place any value in play because they have spaceships and must be above all that. You're attributing them with human "grown-up" characteristics and therefore are as guilty if not more so of Anthropomorphism than Alchopawn.
actually i am implying they are exactly that, something non-extraterrestrial

to lower primates, not to spacefaring FTL civilizations

On the contrary ...

The first section of Huizinga's landmark Homo Ludens is the single most concise summary of the psychological / behavioral orientations necessary for collectively unified action (above and beyond recreational games).

To the extent spacefaring is dependent on collective endeavor - most particularly goal-oriented technological / logistical efforts - a capacity for the ludic attitude (Huizinga's terminology) is an intrinsic requirement.

actually i am implying they are exactly that, something non-extraterrestrial

So why did you say "Throwing rocks and dirt clods is not the type of behavior one might reasonably expect from members of a highly advanced extraterrestrial race; regardless of physical stature".

and described them as

"spacefaring FTL civilizations"?

That' not implying that they are terrestrial, it's quite the opposite.

So why did you say "Throwing rocks and dirt clods is not the type of behavior one might reasonably expect from members of a highly advanced extraterrestrial race; regardless of physical stature".

and described them as

"spacefaring FTL civilizations"?

That' not implying that they are terrestrial, it's quite the opposite.
i was showing the view most ufologists use of them being extraterrestrial, a view wich i think is likely false when the evidence is put into analysis

i was showing the view most ufologists use of them being extraterrestrial, a view wich i think is likely false when the evidence is put into analysis

Yeah, but you don't have to post that view as we are all Forteans and we don't subscribe to any black and white viewpoint and most of us contributing to General Forteana will also have a pretty good idea of Ufology and what some, (but not all), ufologists believe.

Also if you are trying to be "ironic" or something then just say you are being ironic, there are emojis and stuff you can use.

If you are stating a viewpoint that you don't agree with then start a sentence with, "I don't agree, but this is what some Ufologist would have us believe..."

Otherwise you just come across as someone trying to chastise another poster for posting his viewpoint on giving these creatures human characteristics and then back peddling furiously when you were caught out doing the same thing

:sbump:

I'm not saying the current situation made me think of gibbering insanity, it was probably just boredom. So come on, folks, lets have some tall tales!

With a friend one time I had to go and see a friend of hers. She warned me that he had a condition where he told tall stories and that he really believed them and under no circumstances should I laugh at them!

I am not telling these to mock him, it is just pertinent to the thread.

He once saw someone testing a Formula 1 racing car on the M6.

His dog was killed by a wolf that a neighbour kept. It jumped over the wall, tossed his dog into the air, caught in on its claw, spun it round and skinned it then tossed it into its mouth in one.

He was also in a motorcycle accident. He was doing 80 mph around a corner and met a car doing the same speed head on. He broke every bone in his body and was in hospital for a year. When the recovered his body, the found it a mile away.

With a friend one time I had to go and see a friend of hers. She warned me that he had a condition where he told tall stories and that he really believed them and under no circumstances should I laugh at them!

His dog was killed by a wolf that a neighbour kept. It jumped over the wall, tossed his dog into the air, caught in on its claw, spun it round and skinned it then tossed it into its mouth in one.

He was also in a motorcycle accident. He was doing 80 mph around a corner and met a car doing the same speed head on. He broke every bone in his body and was in hospital for a year. When the recovered his body, the found it a mile away.
Sounds like the bloke in the Viz.

Sounds like someone we in Scandinavia would call a mytoman. Have met a few through the years.

Johnny Vaughan does a very funny semi-regular section on his podcast https://www.radiox.co.uk/radio/podcasts/johnny-vaughan-radio-x/ about people bullshitting called "Bullshido".

Well, the Corvid 19 lockdown got me to continue writing the book I never thought I'd finish. Here's a little ditty that might fit in this thread:

It Leaps and Creeps and Glides and Slides

In September 1969, a young man named Maurice Colbert drove the young woman he was dating to the northern outskirts of Nebraska City, Nebraska. They parked near the banks of the Missouri River on what is commonly called a “lover’s lane.”

After a while the young woman complained that she heard strange noises coming from outside the vehicle. Mr. Colbert had apparently heard this one before, because he did not bother to investigate for some time. Eventually, however, he himself heard what he described as “slurping” sounds. He reluctantly climbed out of his car and looked around. It was a brilliant moonlit night, but initially Colbert saw nothing unusual. He realized that the slurping seemed loudest near the rear bumper.

Several yards behind the car the young man found “an amoeba-shaped blob, about six feet across and about 18 inches thick, moving along the ground.” The nightmarish thing traveled (slowly) by extending an arm-like pseudopod out before itself then allowing the entirety of its mass to flow into it until the limb held all its protoplasmic mass. The gelatinous entity was purplish-pink in color and exuded no apparent odor. It crawled six to eight feet (1.9 to 2.4 meters) closer to the car even as Colbert watched, at which point he decided it was time to leave.

Investigators later found a wide, slug-like path from which twigs, leaves and pebbles had apparently been brushed aside, otherwise they found no evidence of this escapee from a 1950s B movie.

Despite all the blobs and slimes of films and role-playing games, a large creature lacking a skeleton – lacking, in fact, any discernible internal structure – should not be able to keep its outer surface from rupturing, let alone crawl, however slowly, across dry land. At least, not in our mundane universe.

Journal of the Fortean Research Center Vol. 1 no. 1 (April 1986), pp. 3-6.

On the subject of compulsive liars -

Had a friend who was always making up stories. I believed her until I noticed her telling me some load of tripe that I knew she'd told someone else first.

Anyway... one day she told me all about a family who were witnesses in a terrorism case who'd been given a safe house in the next city.

I happened to work with a Special Constable from there so I asked her about it. She made enquiries and found no truth whatsoever in it.
If it were true but she couldn't tell me about it she'd have said that, so Mate's tale was all bollocks.

People like that are dangerous.

Back