• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Dog That Turned Into Green Mist, Cows Standing On Hind Legs & Other Cases Of Gibbering Insanity

on the one hand it's totally absurd, on the other hand it's so absurd it feels true. I don't know.
I want it to be true but then again...do I really? Kinda like how I feel about the one about that giant shrimp in the basement of an apartment building in Washington. That's another that got in my head and would not leave. :eek:

Sure it's a good story but does anyone believe it actually happened?..

Do I believe that cows did that? No.

Do I believe that something decided to put on a dancing cow act? I believe it enough to give myself the grues! :freak:

Do I believe that cows did that? No.

Do I believe that something decided to put on a dancing cow act? I believe it enough to give myself the grues! :freak:
Or alternatively that they had mushrooms with their breakfast. But I love these stories. I've had a sufficient number of minor inexplicable things happen to me that I am convinced there is more to the world than we can see. Dogs and cats who rely more on other senses seem more aware of these things than we are.

Or alternatively that they had mushrooms with their breakfast. But I love these stories. I've had a sufficient number of minor inexplicable things happen to me that I am convinced there is more to the world than we can see. Dogs and cats who rely more on other senses seem more aware of these things than we are.
Yup, the 'Minor Strangeness' is full of little weirdnesses.

This thread always makes me think of a page I saw on Michael Swords' blog, The Big Study. For those unfamiliar, it's a vast trove of very interesting data, sane and thoughtful analysis, stories from the Professor's years as a teacher and UFO investigator, bits of UFO history I've not seen anywhere else. He studies pretty much anything Fortean, was friends with Ivan Sanderson among many other luminaries in the field. He has accumulated tons of files from several people who have passed on, including Sanderson.

The particular post that I have finally found again contains an entry about "burrowing garden hoses", something so whacked that it belongs here. Really, it's just the weirdest thing. Fittingly, it leads off with a quote from Charles Fort. The whole page is fascinating and plenty weird, but the burrowing hose stories begin a way down the page, just below an image of Mr Fort.

http://thebiggeststudy.blogspot.com/2013/02/charles-fort-i-think-we-are-fished-for.html#comment-form

VanishingHoses-1.jpg

VanishingHoses-2.jpg

VanishingHoses-3.jpg
'EDIT: The second and third pages of this article have been added for the sake of completeness.

Attachments

• Vanishing water hoses, page 1.jpg
    Vanishing water hoses, page 1.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 345
Last edited by a moderator:
About the Di Peso (sometimes cited as "DiPeso") burrowing hose ...

Here is a newspaper clipping from circa 3 July 1955. It was on that date that wire service news articles appeared all over the USA describing the storyline up to the point that Mr. Di Peso grew sufficiently aggravated at the publicity and visitors to cut the hose.

hose02.jpg

SOURCE: http://www.weirduniverse.net/blog/comments/the_great_hose_mystery_of_1955

However ... The story didn't end with Di Peso cutting the hose circa 3 July. In late September (circa 3 months after the burrowing hose was discovered on 30 June) Di Peso dug down into his yard and excavated the buried length of hose.

di peso hose.jpg

They never did figure out how that hose managed to bury itself, or why they were completely unable to pull it back up. Di Peso finally just cut it off at ground level, declaring, “If it wants to sink down and disappear completely, my prayers go with it.” However, the burial site continued to get such a stream of gawkers that two months later, he dug a hole twenty-five feet deep and excavated the renegade implement. “I think I’ll keep it for a pet,” he said.

SOURCE: http://strangeco.blogspot.com/2013/04/newspaper-clipping-of-day_24.html

This blog provides a summary listing of other locations where garden hoses mysteriously wormed their way into the ground in the summer of 1955, as well as a more detailed account of Di Peso's later excavation to recover his own buried hose.

On Sunday, September 25th of 1955, about three months after George De Peso had slaughtered that plastic hose, he was in the news again. For some reason, he decided to go outside on that day and start digging. The press reported that he dug down 25-feet (over 7-1/2 meters), which seems far exaggerated to me, to recover that darn hose. As one article reported “there were no little green men, subterranean caverns, or oversize gophers. Just a six-foot length filled with sand which must have exerted sufficient pull on the remainder to cause the disappearance.”

SOURCE: https://uselessinformation.org/attack-of-the-50-foot-garden-hose/

Thanks EG. So it's real! I figured with all those names and other specifics, there'd be something on line. Hadn't got around to looking. I got distracted by lots of other things over there at The Big Study, most of which I had already seen but it's just such an interesting site.

I love how they got someone from the water company to come over, and of course it being the Fifties they found someone with a Geiger counter to check for radiation. "Nope, no abnormal amount of radiation. There goes the theory of mutant radioactive moles stealing hoses." I'm a bit disappointed that no one, apparently, left the excavated end of the hose lying on the ground to see if it would repeat its performance.

The one factoid I would love to know is whether the Di Peso hose end (in the ground) continued burrowing downward after Mr. Di Peso cut the hose. (I strongly suspect it didn't ... )

One of the accounts I found mentioned that the soil at the Di Peso home in Downey was "sandy loam." When Mr. Di Peso excavated the buried end of the hose in September it was stated to be filled with sand for its last 6 feet. This implies the hose sucked in sand as it burrowed downward.

The one factoid I would love to know is whether the Di Peso hose end (in the ground) continued burrowing downward after Mr. Di Peso cut the hose. (I strongly suspect it didn't ... )

One of the accounts I found mentioned that the soil at the Di Peso home in Downey was "sandy loam." When Mr. Di Peso excavated the buried end of the hose in September it was stated to be filled with sand for its last 6 feet. This implies the hose sucked in sand as it burrowed downward.
Must have been some special kind of powerful centrifugal force, very limited in width grabbing the hose.

Another walking tree stump and Jon Pertwee.
Jon Pertwee, the actor famed for playing the Third (and in my opinion the best) incarnation of The Doctor in Doctor Who, had a childhood encounter with something stranger than anything he met whilst playing his best know roll. His experience was recorded by Richard Davis in his 1979 book I've Seen a Ghost (Hutchinson).
As a small boy Jon used to go and stay with a schoolfriend in an Elizabethan manor House in Sussex. The family lived in one wing and the rest of the house was not widely used except when they were having parties. There was also a dining area with a minstrels' gallery running around it. Leading off the gallery was another room used as a bed room. On this particular occasion Jon was asked if he minded sleeping in this room as all the other rooms were full during the holiday season. He distinctly recalled his friend's father saying “Do you think that 's wise?” His mother replied “Oh yes, that's all right, he's a sound sleeper.
On the first night he awoke feeling an awful nausea and proceeded to vomit on the bedclothes. Dreadfully embarrassed he cleaned the sheets with water and hung them up to dry. In the morning he told his hosts he had slept well.
The following night he found out just what had made him so ill.
The next night I went to bed again and again I woke up and this time I was able to realize what had made me sick. In the room there was the most overpowering smell of putrefying flesh, it was exactly like a dead sheep, and it permeated the room.
I shot up out of bed and again felt violently sick. I looked up and about four feet from the end of my bed was a thing I can only describe as a sort of tree trunk. It was a light greenish colour and , and it undulated, and as far as I could see it bubbled:it seemed to have bubbles that blew up at the side of it and didn't burst exactly but disappeared. This thing was moving very, very slowly towards me.”

The thing frightened Jon so badly he wet the bed and went running down the gallery to wing where the other people stopped. Whilst being comforted by his friend's mother he heard her husband say “You see, we should never have put him in there.”
On asking his friend about it he was told that other people had seen the thing and the family never put a guest in the room. They had though that Jon, as a child would be a deeper sleeper and would not be awoken by the thing. He never did find out what the crawling, glowing, bubbling, stinking tree stump was.
I'm currently trying to locate the house. I got some help from the Sussex Heritage Trust and used their website but nothing seems to mach up quite right. If anybody is an expert on the Tudor houses of Sussex i'd be glad for your help.

Demon Sheep.
Stories of ghostly sheep must be few and far between but a letter sent into the journal Animals & Men describes such a weird and disturbing encounter. It took place in 1997 in the Grayfield-Greencastle district four miles from Kilkeen in County Down. Louise Donnan and her niece Clare. As they drove along a certain section of road the saw what appeared to be a big sheep up ahead. As they drew closer they saw its coat was not wool but composed of what looked like rags. Both women felt a wave of revulsion as it turned its head to look at them. It ran over to the car and they saw that its round head was level with Clair’s window. The only feature they could see through the tatty coat was one of its eyes.
We were both almost frozen with fear as the eye looking straight at us was reddish in colour, and gave a terrible, wild, penetrating stare. When I looked at its eye I could almost see its mind working powerfully behind it, a mind not of an ordinary animal but of one with another sense and evil I have never encountered before (or since). I felt sick with fear but thankfully Clair was able to compose herself enough to accelerate the car and we took off at an impressive speed. Our relief was short lived as suddenly we felt a ‘thud’ at the side of the car. To or horror this mad ‘animal’ we thought we had gotten away from was running alongside the car and deliberately banging into us.”
After chasing the car the thing abruptly stopped and the two women felt as if it had got to ‘the edge of its territory’. Neither drove anywhere near the area again.

Ghost of a Crab.
A super weird case is that of a giant, floating, ghostly crab recorded in the 19th century in South Africa.. The case is mentioned in a book called They Walk in The Night True South African Ghost Stories and Tales of the Supernormal by Eric Rosenthal. It was published by George Allen & Unwin in 1949. This is the quote verbatim on pages 124-125

"Here is a tale set down by Mr C.H Basson, an eyewitness of what went on in the home of Mr J. van Jaarsveld of Haartebeest River in the district of Uniondale shortly after the Jameson Raid.
It appeared in the daily paper “Dagblad”, of Cape Town, as follows:

In consequence of what he heard, he went to the farm of a Mr van Jaasveld. Shortly after sunset, the spook commenced his pranks and certain noises were heard coming out of a chest. The spook seemed especially attracted to Mr van Jaasveld and his niece , Miss Mayer . Whenever the latter dared to take a seat on the chest, she was moved about and the chest moved also.
But the most weird thing of all”proceeded Mr Basson' “happened at night time. Miss Meyer went to lie down. We blew out the candle, but no sooner had this been done than she called out to us to light it again. We did so and lo! The spook had, during the few seconds that the candle was extinguished, tied her hair firmly to the bedpost. We untied it and plaited her hair into one tress, tied it at the end with a firm knot and made her lie down again. We then ranger ourselves round her bed, each with a box of matches in his hand. The candle was blown out again. Immediately afterwards, she cried out that the ghost was tugging at her hair. We all struck a match and found that one strand of the plait had been twisted out and tied as firmly as ever to her bedpost. Three of those present were able to see the spook. They say it resembled a phosphorescent crab with two huge pincers. They saw it 'floating' about the room touching here and there. On a former occasion it assumed the form of a skeleton hand with two fingers.”

Here's an enjoyable collection of some of the craziest UFOlogical encounters in the whole crazy history of the subject:

http://bogleech.com/realaliens.html

Just giving this old post a bump.
Why am I only discovering this thread now. Mad crazy blizzare encounters !

The stories and artwork at above link are all stories I've not heard before. The artworks are great, I'd like to know if they are digital - made, and if not what mediums he used.

A lot of stories at Graylien ' s site were mentioned too. But the site is no more sadly.

Just giving this old post a bump.
Why am I only discovering this thread now. Mad crazy blizzare encounters !

The stories and artwork at above link are all stories I've not heard before. The artworks are great, I'd like to know if they are digital - made, and if not what mediums he used.

A lot of stories at Graylien ' s site were mentioned too. But the site is no more sadly.
We don't know what happened to Graylien. :(

I like to 'cast my mind' back to the Flying Hare of Brighstone.
A small village on the south coast of the Isle of Wight, in the 1930's (by some accounts) a man came tumbling in to the pub (the New Inn, now called The Three Bishops), claiming to have been striding purposefully to this very hostelry along a lane. It was twilight. There was a loud rustle in the hedgerow beside him and a hare "bigger'n a bloody dog" leaped from the hedge bank*, knocked his hat off, and seemed to glide with ease some ten feet in front of him, landing on the lane. It then did a massive jump and into the facing hedge bank, disappearing from view. Said chappie decided to pick up his hat and leg it to the pub.
Well, you can imagine the reception of his tale. "You sure you aint been drinkin' afore you'd come her?" and other obvious bon mot.

Funny. The tale had little traction outside Brighstone, let alone the Isle of Wight. My ex- was born and bred on the island, mainly in Brighstone, and she was the one to tell me the tale. Locals knew of it (dimly now, I'm sure). Me? I never managed to track down any written account.

* A hedge bank is what it sounds like. Imagine looking from the track/lane. You have a grassy, sloped bank around 2-3 ft. high, perhaps with a drainage ditch, and this in turn has a high wall-like hedge of about 5-6 ft.

I like to 'cast my mind' back to the Flying Hare of Brighstone.
A small village on the south coast of the Isle of Wight, in the 1930's (by some accounts) a man came tumbling in to the pub (the New Inn, now called The Three Bishops), claiming to have been striding purposefully to this very hostelry along a lane. It was twilight. There was a loud rustle in the hedgerow beside him and a hare "bigger'n a bloody dog" leaped from the hedge bank*, knocked his hat off, and seemed to glide with ease some ten feet in front of him, landing on the lane. It then did a massive jump and into the facing hedge bank, disappearing from view. Said chappie decided to pick up his hat and leg it to the pub.
Well, you can imagine the reception of his tale. "You sure you aint been drinkin' afore you'd come her?" and other obvious bon mot.

Funny. The tale had little traction outside Brighstone, let alone the Isle of Wight. My ex- was born and bred on the island, mainly in Brighstone, and she was the one to tell me the tale. Locals knew of it (dimly now, I'm sure). Me? I never managed to track down any written account.

* A hedge bank is what it sounds like. Imagine looking from the track/lane. You have a grassy, sloped bank around 2-3 ft. high, perhaps with a drainage ditch, and this in turn has a high wall-like hedge of about 5-6 ft.
The curse of the were rabbit

wererabbit.jpg

A search on ‘the dog’ gives no results. Possibly the most awkward and cumbersome thread title on here I reckon.

Demon Sheep.
Stories of ghostly sheep must be few and far between but a letter sent into the journal Animals & Men describes such a weird and disturbing encounter. It took place in 1997 in the Grayfield-Greencastle district four miles from Kilkeen in County Down. Louise Donnan and her niece Clare. As they drove along a certain section of road the saw what appeared to be a big sheep up ahead. As they drew closer they saw its coat was not wool but composed of what looked like rags. Both women felt a wave of revulsion as it turned its head to look at them. It ran over to the car and they saw that its round head was level with Clair’s window. The only feature they could see through the tatty coat was one of its eyes.
We were both almost frozen with fear as the eye looking straight at us was reddish in colour, and gave a terrible, wild, penetrating stare. When I looked at its eye I could almost see its mind working powerfully behind it, a mind not of an ordinary animal but of one with another sense and evil I have never encountered before (or since). I felt sick with fear but thankfully Clair was able to compose herself enough to accelerate the car and we took off at an impressive speed. Our relief was short lived as suddenly we felt a ‘thud’ at the side of the car. To or horror this mad ‘animal’ we thought we had gotten away from was running alongside the car and deliberately banging into us.”
After chasing the car the thing abruptly stopped and the two women felt as if it had got to ‘the edge of its territory’. Neither drove anywhere near the area again.
I'd want to know how familiar these two were with sheep generally. A sheep that hasn't been shorn for a while will lose its wool naturally but in lumpy bits, not evenly, so it could well be thought of as being covered in rags (they turn into a kind of tatty dreadlocks and it doesn't really look like wool). So I would wonder if they'd found a feral sheep. Rams can be very aggressive and will attack people, cars etc. If they had overestimated their 'impressive speed', then I can see this happening out in the wilds somewhere.

...the Flying Hare of Brighstone.

...a hare "bigger'n a bloody dog" leaped from the hedge bank*, knocked his hat off, and seemed to glide with ease some ten feet in front of him, landing on the lane. It then did a massive jump and into the facing hedge bank, disappearing from view.

I’m going to guess that this was a deer, probably a roe, escaping from some sort of danger. At full revs it encounters a hedge and jumps it, without realising that there is a sunken lane beyond.

maximus otter

Last edited:
Back