• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Dog That Turned Into Green Mist, Cows Standing On Hind Legs & Other Cases Of Gibbering Insanity

Thanks for going to such trouble to provide info on this case. When mention was made of flames or sparks coming from the hands of (one of?) the entities I thought immediately of the Felixstowe fire demon story. In previous centuries these would definitely be described as the Little People, especially as the witness didn't see any craft. Interesting that the witness felt no fear during the encounter.
Like he was hypnotised or something. I always think in these cases that the witness is the focus of the encounter. He might have thought he was witnessing something going on between these beings and something unseen, but these encounters are like riddles designed to jolt the mind and/or soul of the witness.

Reactions: BS3
I think this is one of the incidents sometimes described under the general title of the "Loveland Frog" (partly to try and link it to another incident in the 1970s). There are a few versions circulating with varying details.

As I thought, Hunnicutt's experience does seem to have been the one appended to the "Loveland Frog" story, eg. below:

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4473

Here the 1955 report is described as unverifiable since no witness information is given, but some of the details (eg the wand producing sparks) show that it is clearly Hunnicutt's report.

I am so sorry. I was listening to loads of podcasts that day and I got mixed up. It's Boggart and Banshee that have the secion on The Wollaton Gnomes! Apologies!
Great podcast - just finished listening to it... Warning, there's a plug for a book near the end, oh well, there goes another 20 quid...

As usual, I don't know how to put a link to a precise point in a thread, but I found a very, very weird little story in this thread from reddit:

[Mod edit: Linky]

"I know this is going to sound ridiculously stupid, but I swear it happened, and there were three other people who witnessed it who will also swear it happened.

One day I was at my friend's house working on a group project back in middle school. My friend's mom made brownies as a sort of reward for us all working so hard. We took the plate of brownies and sat on my friend's porch. As we each picked up a brownie to eat, one of my friend's mentioned that it sounded like noise was coming out of his brownie. Me and the two others laughed at him, but he said he was serious. Frustrated, he handed us his brownie and demanded we hold it up to our ears. He handed it to me first, and sure enough, when I put it up to my ear I heard a weird buzzing sound, like static from a radio. I almost thought I could make out a voice in the static hum. I'm obviously shocked and hand it along to make sure I'm not being fooled. My other two friends hear it too and we all just look at each other dumbfounded. We put the brownie down and looked for other sources of the sound on the porch, but we only hear it when we're up close to the brownie. It had been several minutes now, and the brownie had cooled sufficiently, yet it was still making the same fuzzy radio sound, so it couldn't have been "still cooking" or something. We tore the brownie apart, searching for some sort of little receiver, because really, what the hell else could explain noise coming from a brownie. Of course we found nothing. Its consistency was that of a normal brownie. Once it was torn to shreds the sound stopped though. Confused, we just ate the other brownies. We asked my friend's mom about it later and she thought we were joking. We insisted we weren't but she still didn't believe us. My friends and I have never found an explanation for the "talking brownie" but we still reminisce about it to this day.

TL;DR: A brownie made radio noises to me and my friends in middle school."

Last edited by a moderator:
As usual, I don't know how to put a link to a precise point in a thread, but I found a very, very weird little story in this thread from reddit:

"I know this is going to sound ridiculously stupid, but I swear it happened, and there were three other people who witnessed it who will also swear it happened.

One day I was at my friend's house working on a group project back in middle school. My friend's mom made brownies as a sort of reward for us all working so hard. We took the plate of brownies and sat on my friend's porch. As we each picked up a brownie to eat, one of my friend's mentioned that it sounded like noise was coming out of his brownie. Me and the two others laughed at him, but he said he was serious. Frustrated, he handed us his brownie and demanded we hold it up to our ears. He handed it to me first, and sure enough, when I put it up to my ear I heard a weird buzzing sound, like static from a radio. I almost thought I could make out a voice in the static hum. I'm obviously shocked and hand it along to make sure I'm not being fooled. My other two friends hear it too and we all just look at each other dumbfounded. We put the brownie down and looked for other sources of the sound on the porch, but we only hear it when we're up close to the brownie. It had been several minutes now, and the brownie had cooled sufficiently, yet it was still making the same fuzzy radio sound, so it couldn't have been "still cooking" or something. We tore the brownie apart, searching for some sort of little receiver, because really, what the hell else could explain noise coming from a brownie. Of course we found nothing. Its consistency was that of a normal brownie. Once it was torn to shreds the sound stopped though. Confused, we just ate the other brownies. We asked my friend's mom about it later and she thought we were joking. We insisted we weren't but she still didn't believe us. My friends and I have never found an explanation for the "talking brownie" but we still reminisce about it to this day.

If it was this sort of brownie it becomes more explainable :)

Attachments

• Illustration_of_a_brownie_by_Alice_B_Woodward.jpg
    Illustration_of_a_brownie_by_Alice_B_Woodward.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 8
Baked cakes and cookies do make noises when they are baking and cooling. I've heard fruit cakes give a sort of sighing notice when cooling and there was a contestant on "Bake off" who used to listen to her cakes as they sound different when properly baked. Not sure if this explains the brownies but maybe they had a lot of air in them that was escaping as they cooled.

Baked cakes and cookies do make noises when they are baking and cooling. I've heard fruit cakes give a sort of sighing notice when cooling and there was a contestant on "Bake off" who used to listen to her cakes as they sound different when properly baked. Not sure if this explains the brownies but maybe they had a lot of air in them that was escaping as they cooled.
I've heard this - sometimes you even get a squeak. When you mentioned it it took me right back to when my ma used to bake lots of fruit cakes. She always used to leave a couple in a bit too long because I liked the crusty bit on top.

Brownies can take a LONG time to cool completely - there is one hell of a lot of sugar in them. When the writer says 'it had been several minutes now and the brownie had cooled sufficiently...' if it was only a couple of minutes out of the oven then they will have been VERY hot inside and kind of 'hissing' as they cooled (the 'static' noise). The voices they imagined simply because of the noise reminding them of radio static.

I bit into something hot from the oven once and heard a bubbling noise - turned out to be my spit boiling, the damn thing was VERY hot.

Ive not finished rereading this thread yet but can anyone tell me if the Ventriloquist's dummy and his bottle of milk ever survived the cross over? I've found a few old favourites via googling but not that one, sadly.

Oh my! Thank you so very much, and for all of the hard work you've put in!

There's a bit in this months issue about a guy who claims he saw an entity that looked just like Groot (you may need to look it up) which I find absolutely brilliant, proving that the cosmic joker still has a sense of humour

As I thought, Hunnicutt's experience does seem to have been the one appended to the "Loveland Frog" story, eg. below:

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4473

Here the 1955 report is described as unverifiable since no witness information is given, but some of the details (eg the wand producing sparks) show that it is clearly Hunnicutt's report.
I wonder if anyone ever checked his car for a leaky exhaust...

I've seen reports of people whose car exhaust has been leaking inside the car having had bizarre hallucinatory experiences. They've often not ascribed it to the car because the circumstances have meant they have been driving in abnormal conditions (ie, with the windows closed tightly, air con or heating blowing), when that might not be how they normally drive, and the car has been fixed before these same conditions apply again. For example, you only drive along with the windows shut and the heating going when it's the depths of winter and the exhaust is mended before you next need to drive like that again. But it means that two and two are not put together.

Similarly people driving along with something leaking in the back - they have a bizarre experience, but the 'thing' is removed from the car before they next drive, and they don't put it together. I seem to remember a hairdresser driving along and having something happen, because they had cans of hairspray in the car which had become punctured and gas was leaking out? Anyone remember this?

Or perhaps I've just become obsessed with things leaking gas (as in my posts on The Nameless Thing of Berkley Square)!

My step-dad, who died in 2004, used to work on cars even in his spare time; he was very good at anything like that and was very qualified so people used to ask him to do their cars and pay him cash-in-hand.

He was working in a garage one day with the door closed as it was cold, and using some kind of spray. Then, he said, he was in some kind of large barn working on a huge wagon with massive wheels. He could smell everything, the wood, feel whatever tool he had in his hand. It was all completely ‘normal’. He said after he should have worn a mask for that spray especially in a closed environment but he said it was also a really incredible experience.

My step-dad, who died in 2004, used to work on cars even in his spare time; he was very good at anything like that and was very qualified so people used to ask him to do their cars and pay him cash-in-hand.

He was working in a garage one day with the door closed as it was cold, and using some kind of spray. Then, he said, he was in some kind of large barn working on a huge wagon with massive wheels. He could smell everything, the wood, feel whatever tool he had in his hand. It was all completely ‘normal’. He said after he should have worn a mask for that spray especially in a closed environment but he said it was also a really incredible experience.
I sometimes wonder if these experiences really are occurring, which we‘d typically describe as hallucinations.
Suppose certain substances, accidents or diseases actually open us up to new dimensions and perceptions which are every bit as ‘real’ or valid as our consensus reality. Since we are not all seeing them at once (in the collective sense), and that they are usually short-lived, we demote them to the unreal, the subjective.

What purpose they might serve is another matter entirely!

I wonder if anyone ever checked his car for a leaky exhaust...

I've seen reports of people whose car exhaust has been leaking inside the car having had bizarre hallucinatory experiences. They've often not ascribed it to the car because the circumstances have meant they have been driving in abnormal conditions (ie, with the windows closed tightly, air con or heating blowing), when that might not be how they normally drive, and the car has been fixed before these same conditions apply again. For example, you only drive along with the windows shut and the heating going when it's the depths of winter and the exhaust is mended before you next need to drive like that again. But it means that two and two are not put together.

Similarly people driving along with something leaking in the back - they have a bizarre experience, but the 'thing' is removed from the car before they next drive, and they don't put it together. I seem to remember a hairdresser driving along and having something happen, because they had cans of hairspray in the car which had become punctured and gas was leaking out? Anyone remember this?

Or perhaps I've just become obsessed with things leaking gas (as in my posts on The Nameless Thing of Berkley Square)!
Here's something I posted on'ere about my brother -

Big/small thing-

My bro once had to deliver some metal gates so he flung them into the back of a van and set off up the motorway.

After a while, he noticed that the motorway had about a hundred lanes and was a mile wide, and his van had shrunk to the size of a matchbox.

Didn't seem right so he pulled over. Suddenly he felt a violent pain in his head and opened the window just in time to throw up.

When he felt better he noticed a weird smell coming from the back of the van.

He soon found that he'd dropped the gates onto an aerosol can, puncturing it and freeing the propellant inside which had then gassed him!

He's a lot more careful now.

Suppose certain substances, accidents or diseases actually open us up to new dimensions and perceptions which are every bit as ‘real’ or valid as our consensus reality
I’ve read of people who took LSD and saw incredible things, different dimensions, etc.

I’ve read of people who took LSD and saw incredible things, different dimensions, etc.
I wonder whether these 'things' have an actual objective reality, maybe in another dimension or universe, or whether they seem real for the same reason that psychotic delusions seem real - your brain telling you that, if you are seeing something, then of course, it MUST be there.

Here's something I posted on'ere about my brother -

Big/small thing-

My bro once had to deliver some metal gates so he flung them into the back of a van and set off up the motorway.

After a while, he noticed that the motorway had about a hundred lanes and was a mile wide, and his van had shrunk to the size of a matchbox.

Didn't seem right so he pulled over. Suddenly he felt a violent pain in his head and opened the window just in time to throw up.

When he felt better he noticed a weird smell coming from the back of the van.

He soon found that he'd dropped the gates onto an aerosol can, puncturing it and freeing the propellant inside which had then gassed him!

He's a lot more careful now.
Yeah, I once spent a day afternoon sticking carpet onto the inside of a boat-hull with copydex and all parties involved had 'issues with differing realities' at some point.

Evo-stik was the vintage of choice for our “alternative self-medicators”.

maximus otter

Yes, I'm a bit astonished by that too. Copydex is latex with a water base, with a little bit of ammonia. I don't think that can produce hallucinations.
Hm...checks 1980's and relevant chapter of book in progress...I concede I've used the wrong brand name - the glue in question was a solvent based marine carpeting glue, used in this instance to stick fire-proofed ex-exhibition stand carpet onto the inside hull of a steel boat to insulate it. This wasn't 'Copydex'...no, it wasn't my boat but thirty quid is thirty quid (especially in 1989)

Sorry 'wrong glue'. :) ...glad someone picked that up (@Mythopoeika) never thought to check it. :hoff:

*edits book chapter*

A couple of days ago I started reading through ‘The Haunted Landscape’ Folklore, Ghosts and Legends of Wiltshire by Kathy Jordan and it has a lot of things that I’ve never come across. This was one of the reports that stood out as being ’strange’.
A vicar of Chisledon (not too far away) wrote about it in 1864.
’…a gulley in which a row of elm trees stands, called Pinham Botton, up which a sack of water walks at midnight.’

It may be, they say ‘a Wiltshire example of the Boneless…a formless thing whose chief function it was to terrify travellers or children in their beds.’

I’ve never heard of the ambulatory water sack or the Boneless. Love the complete weirdness of it!

A couple of days ago I started reading through ‘The Haunted Landscape’ Folklore, Ghosts and Legends of Wiltshire by Kathy Jordan and it has a lot of things that I’ve never come across. This was one of the reports that stood out as being ’strange’.
A vicar of Chisledon (not too far away) wrote about it in 1864.
’…a gulley in which a row of elm trees stands, called Pinham Botton, up which a sack of water walks at midnight.’

It may be, they say ‘a Wiltshire example of the Boneless…a formless thing whose chief function it was to terrify travellers or children in their beds.’

I’ve never heard of the ambulatory water sack or the Boneless. Love the complete weirdness of it!
You tempted me to try and seek this book out, but then I checked my collection to see I already have it. :p So temptation now turns to re-reading it. After I finish my second read of LOTR.

You tempted me to try and seek this book out, but then I checked my collection to see I already have it. :p So temptation now turns to re-reading it. After I finish my second read of LOTR.
Hope you enjoy it :) I liked the fact that apart from a few things, everything was new to me.
I need an OS map. I’ve looked at Chisledon on Google Earth and found nothing called Pinham Bottom so it must be an old name, though there’s a couple of gully-ish looking places.
Not that I intend to hang around there at midnight, but Chisledon’s only a few miles away and I’d like to have a gander.

Hope you enjoy it :) I liked the fact that apart from a few things, everything was new to me.
I need an OS map. I’ve looked at Chisledon on Google Earth and found nothing called Pinham Bottom so it must be an old name, though there’s a couple of gully-ish looking places.
Not that I intend to hang around there at midnight, but Chisledon’s only a few miles away and I’d like to have a gander.
If you use Bing maps on a PC, it gives you the option of the OS layer, which you can zoom in to both 1:50000 and 1:25000 versions.

Back