• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Dog That Turned Into Green Mist, Cows Standing On Hind Legs & Other Cases Of Gibbering Insanity

If it was a warm night it could have been some sort of a mirage, remember it winked out, they didnt get a good view at it anyway.

My spirit guide - Stan - is channelling him right now and he did indeed enjoy the Burp Monster. He passes on his best to all of you, but promises supernatural vengeance if ancestor rituals are not held in his honour pronto.

Can't recall if I ever mentioned this one, but a search of this board would find the fearsome Yummy Monster. Only read it if thou be of sound mind and not about to go to bed or anything.

Yeah bring back Dan Higginbottom I say.. Whatever brought about his seemingly self-imposed exile I know not, but he's definitely a sadly missed (fictional) character.

He went to a better place, believe me. I still act as his literary agent, just as Conan Doyle acted on behalf of the estate of Sherlock Holmes. Some might see it as a thankless task...I prefer to look upon it as lucrative.

Anyway, back on track, I nominate my favourite High Strangeness Quote of the week as "Truth is Denied to the Constipated" as told by some UFO thingies to a man, in Argentina, I believe. I think FT re-ran the story recently; source, anyone?

Desperado said:
Another had a piece being examined by some lab or other, the result being only that the line itself was composed of unknown hard outer coating and a jelly-like liquid centre. Sounds yummy...
monstrous nematodes? :cross eye

Maybe not weird enough...

But as I've enjoyed this thread immensely tonight, I'm going to contribute anyway.

I work a late shift for the local newspaper -- I get home around 1.30, 2 am and am generally up until 4 or 5 (or later), so I'm well acquainted with the normal sort of nighttime critters one gets outside an apartment. Monstrously large slugs, water bugs, spiders, the occasional freakish cricket, raccoons, moths and other flying-type things -- all things I recognize and can identify.

So. I'm up late doing laundry one night and head out to shift my last load over to the dryer, when I see something quite peculiar hanging off the outside wall of the apartment. It was a sort of darkish, shiny, wriggling mass of .... something . Too many eyes and teeth, and all moving and writhing. It looks as if there were bits dripping off into the grass as well, which was fairly alarming, as I was only about 2 ft. from the thing. Looking back on it -- and referencing ideas/photos from elsewhere -- it was a bit like one of those weird lumps of hair/teeth/the odd stray eyeball that doctors occasionally remove from someone. ... Except that this thing was alive on the wall on its own and quite sickening if I do say so.

So. Needless to say, the laundry waited til the next day. Come morning, there was no trace of it or anything about, though I did see a quite large snake filling the ditch between the sidewalk and the grass. But surely snake's eggs wouldn't attach to a wall, and surely I would have noticed something like that, as I pass the wall every day.

Anyway. Of course no one believed me, so I guess it qualifies as high gibberish of a "she said" variety. ;)

The Dog What Rode a Bicycle

A friend of mine, whilst visiting his parents, glanced out of the kitchen window and saw a greyhound wearing a plastic raincoat riding past on a bicycle!

I had a lengthy argument with him about it, and tried to convince him that he had merely seen a dog sitting in the front shopping basket of the bicycle, which was actually been ridden by a perfectly normal man wearing an oversize raincoat, but he was quite insistent about what he'd seen.

Re: Maybe not weird enough...

Renigirl said:
Too many eyes and teeth, and all moving and writhing. It looks as if there were bits dripping off into the grass as well, which was fairly alarming

That sounds like a mass of caterpillars. They get together and feed or something- I've seen wriggling masses in trees. Maybe that was what it?

That sounds like a mass of caterpillars. They get together and feed or something- I've seen wriggling masses in trees. Maybe that was what it?

I would feel quite silly indeed if that's all it was. :blush:
Another friend suggested bats. It certainly didn't seem like anything natural that I'd ever seen before -- that's what I'd initially thought when I got closer to it. [shurg] I'd just as soon not see one again to find out. ;)

GNC said:
I find "High Strangeness" cases fascinating. This reminds me of the Christmas Aliens story, where a woman found her house invaded by three little fairies wearing helmets who jumped around her lounge and trashed her Christmas tree. She tried to feed them mince pies but they weren't interested (inappropriate reactions on the part of the witnesses seem to be a feature of these cases).

Being the "churchgeek" that I am (my name elsewhere on the web), this reminds me of the NT story of Christ's transfiguration - he takes 3 disciples up a mountain and they watch as he starts to glow and Moses and Elijah appear with him and have a conversation... So Peter (one of the disciples there) said, "Hey, it's a good thing we're here! We can build three little tabernacles, one for each of you!"

After which, I imagine, he blushed and thought, "WTF did I just say?" as the other disciples gave him funny looks... Maybe Moses & Elijah pointed and laughed. :D

Just to revive this thread, I was reading an old book of Fortean stuff, and this case would fit here. In July 1985, the Greenwater area of Washington state, a couple out camping were greeted by an eight foot tall bear-man (not a bare man) who asked them in a high pitched voice what their names were and whether they had permission to use the site. When they replied that they did have permission, the creature told them to leave, got up on its hind legs and started throwing rocks at them as they gathered their belongings and fled. Explain that! The book says it could have been Bigfoot, which raises more questions.

GNC said:
Jean noticed that the aliens were inspecting the ornaments on the Christmas tree with interest.

Maybe they thought the ornaments looked like miniature space-ships. I know a lot of Christmas-tree ornaments remind me of UFOs (certianly the ones I choose to decorate my tree with. ;)).

Anyway, there's plenty of high-strangeness on this site.

Check out Invasion of the Jelly-Men, in particular.

EDIT: A lot of good stuff here, too: http://www.hwh22.it/xit/S03_ricerche/hum_2004.html

Last edited by a moderator:
From Weird N.J., issue 11:

BIRD-LIKE CREATURE ROAMS NEW JERSEY SAME WEEK AS THE DEVIL IN 1909

As you're probably aware, the week of January 9, 1909 was the "big" week for sightings in South Jersey of The Jersey Devil. While doing some research for a final exam (done on the Jersey Devil) I came across an interesting article. It's not about the Devil, but some other sighting „ no book I have ever read has mentioned it, and I'm sure it's something that history has entirely forgot. Weird, yes. True... well, I try to keep an open mind, but this is just beyond belief. This is from The Asbury Park Evening Press, Jan 22, 1909, page 2.:

The Jersey Devil was also not the only strange being to appear this Friday.

Dan Possack of Millville had a struggle with "one of the strangest freaks of nature, or a monster straight from the bad place." While Dan was doing his chores he heard someone in the backyard walking around, calling out to him.

When he turned around, he beheld a "monster beast-bird" about 18 feet high. The visitor demanded to know where the garbage can was, asking in perfectly good English. Dan, terrified, ran towards the barn, but the bird caught up with him.

It wrapped it's sinewy and red beak around Dan's body. Dan began hitting it with a hatchet that he kept in his belt. He was astonished to see that he could chop splinters out of the body, much like he could out of wood. While he was chopping, the beast whispered something in Dan's ear, and with a mighty blow, Dan set the hatchet square into the monster's face. "Out popped an eyeball, and with a scream of pain, the assailant took in a long breath, filled it's bodylike a balloon, and floated into space..."

Mass hysteria was certainly gripping the area.

Here's a great site also

I think the thread on Trunko deserves to be linked to here.

It was always one of my favorite cryptid stories. :D

MrHyde said:
I nominate my favourite High Strangeness Quote of the week as "Truth is Denied to the Constipated" as told by some UFO thingies to a man, in Argentina, I believe. I think FT re-ran the story recently; source, anyone?
Was just re-reading this thread and I noticed your query from a while back. The story surrounding that quote can be found here.

Anyway, I thought I'd share one of my favorites: The One-Eyed Armadillos.
Link is dead. Here is the original source for the story.

Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 11:20:59 -0800 (PST)
To: [email protected]
yourname Jack Spencer
email [email protected]

I Was Raised In A Haunted House III

If you have not read parts one and two of my story this one will be more understandable to you if you read I & II first.

In the livingroom of the house I'm writing about were two animals which looked like the cowl parking lights on the cars of the 1920s. Their skin looked like the backs of armadillos look, except it wasn't flexable. Their front end looked exactly like the milk-glass lenses of the cowl lights I just mentiioned. They would place their two milk-glass eyes together and obviously were communicating, but there was no sound that I could hear.

These two animals would sneak up on me and get within only a few inches of my feet. Then I couldn't move! I was paralyzed! They would then put their eyes together and "talk" about what they had done! I could only stand there until someone came into the room. Then they woyld run and hide under the livingroom heating stove.

If I saw these things coming, I could get up on the davenport and they couldn't paralyze me there. Their harassing me was sure a drag. I couldn't hardly play without them catching me.

One day some older boys came past the house, and each of them was kicking a tin-can. After they had gone on I found myself a tin-can and learned to kick it. I soon got very good at it! As I was trying to kick my can the entire length of the drivway in one kick I realized that I could do the same thing to the two armadillo like animals which were harassing me! Into the house I ran. I'd run up and kick them before they could paraylize me!

I never ever saw them again. I never got my first kick at them! I believe that they were real solid animals and didn't want to be injured.

SALVAGED FROM THE WAYBACK MACHINE:
https://web.archive.org/web/20081012172818/http://ghosts.org/stories/tales/oneeyed-armadillos.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't remember Argentina, but I do remember it was in French.

Can't think what reminded me of it.

The motherlode of high strangeness reports is surely Albert Rosales Humanoid Sightings Database: an essential bookmark for all Forteans-

http://www.ufoinfo.com/humanoid.shtml

My own favourite from the extensive listings for 1954 is this one:

Location. Malibu California
Date: February 8 1954
Time: pre-dawn
Wakened by a motor like sound, John Fante saw a 100-foot ball of luminous blue haze about 300 yards away. From it emerged small human figures "which made their way down an iridescent funnel from the crest of Pt Dume to the ocean." Going to the cliff edge, he saw that this "conveyor belt---no more than 24" tall---entered the ship's hold and emerged carrying bright cylindrical objects," with which they returned to the ball." There must have been 5000 of these grotesque creatures." Then the ball gave a muffled roar and rose, and the ship sailed away. At the site where the ball had rested, Fante found one of the silvery cylinders. Breaking it open, he found in it 2 lb of coffee.

A fine excerpt from James M. Deem's How to Catch a Flying Saucer (which I've never read).

(It takes place in New Jersey, so you know it's gonna be good.)

I remember one (not really UFO at all, I guess, but some kind of entity) in which someone was in a park and saw Pan, who said that the old gods do still exist, but don't bother putting in appearances because no one believes in them anymore.

The weirdest alien encounter I've ever heard of is the one with the little blue bulletproof goblins.

the weirdest ufo, alien type encounters to me , have to be the Betty Andreasson Luca’s experiences the books and research etc..by Raymond E Fowler (5 books on the Andreasson affair) "The Watchers" (their in the bible is there a thread on this subject? its very interesting the watchers are..anyway here is an interview http://boudillion.com/interviews/fowler.htm
Dan: You state that the Watchers (the gray entities) are bio-electric robots, and that according to their own words are really another form of Homo Sapiens. This said, I can’t help but wonder if we humans aren’t some form of bio-electric robot as well – perhaps one gone free-range? What do you think of this idea? Also, what are the fundamental similarities between us than them, and what are the differences?

There's one which has always stuck in my mind, which I've only read about in the Bords' Modern Mysteries Of Britain. Unfortunately, I don't have my copy to hand, but it involved some children who met a strange entity on some wasteland. From the description given, he sounds like some sort of cross between a traditional alien, a very tall gnome and a scary clown; about 7 foot tall, wearing brightly coloured clothing (including a pointy hat which was attached to his collar) and a bright yellow face with marks and lines for features. He showed the children a hut he said he'd made, which was split level, and papered (?) with a pattern of dials.

Other details are sketchy in my memory, but ISTR they asked him if he was from outer space and he said something like "sort of", and refused to be drawn further. Nearby adults seemed to be unaware of either the entity or his hut as well - for weirdness (or a great example of childhood imagination) it's up there with the story from the same book about the children who claimed to have been chased by gnomes driving tiny bubble cars!

One from The Unexplained which always freaked me out was the story of the soldier in his Cyprus barracks, who, hearing a noise outside, opened his door to be confronted by the top half of a boggle-eyed thing with a shock of ginger hair floating up the stairs towards him. Perhaps wisely, he shut the door smartish, and then heard whatever-the-hell-it-was slithering around outside whilst his dog went mental. I always remembered the artist's impression of this being utterly terrifying, but when it was unearthed and reposted on these boards a few years ago, it looked, well, a bit crap to be honest...

Some of the incidents from the Broadhaven Triangle UFO flap always struck me as rather peculiar as well. Never really understood why an intrepid UFOnaut would come all that way just to stand pressed up against the Coombs family's living room window on the off chance that he could give them a good scare should they open the curtains. The bit about the UFO flying through a set of giant doors which opened in Stack Rocks sounds weird too - surely a few more people would have noticed?

I think the Broadhaven story, creepy though it may be, might have been "exposed" as a hoax. You know, in that way that people confess, about twenty years after the event. Some local claimed that he had got lathered in the pub, then stood outside the window shining a torch round the hood of his anorak.

To be honest, this sounds more unlikely than a blank faced alien, but it takes all sorts.

The Modern Mysteries of Britain one was a big favourite of mine. I recall that the creature said it was not a ghost 'but sort of, in a way, you know' (more or less its actual words). I wonder if the Bords ever tracked those kids down today? I always love to hear from the real witnesses, years later. Didn't an email from one of the Owlman girls turn up recently?

Back