• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Dog That Turned Into Green Mist, Cows Standing On Hind Legs & Other Cases Of Gibbering Insanity

If I'm not treading on too sensitive an area, may I ask what happened to the DanHiggenbottom what started this riveting thread?

Hey James I edited out the poster's name to respect whatever wishes they may have to remain unassociated with the late Dan Higgenbottom. All I'll say here is that a certain poster on this thread has left some subtle hints to suggest they and Dan are one and the same. Though they never stated this explicitly, I'd always assumed they were Dan's newer incarnation and I'd also assumed that this was common knowledge at least among the older members of this board. You've proven me wrong in my latter assumption so perhaps I am wrong in my former as well.

(The poster also shares Dan's personality, sense of humor, and, of course, a deep love of high strangeness.)

explanations.

First post!
I know it’s an old thread but my reply might serve as a bump.
It seems interesting to me that the strangeness experienced is explained away as childhood a condition, when most of the experiencers are adults...?! Then it has been suggested that the adults have something that regresses them into a childhood state! LOL
If that’s not bending the facts to fit a theory I don’t know what is!
It’s also interesting to consider that cases of medium-strangeness may have been toned down from their High-strangeness actuality in the telling, in order to avoid ridicule. Just how much strangeness is there? We’ll never know.

Re: explanations.

ACreepierFolklaw said:
First post!

Just how much strangeness is there? We’ll never know.

Welcome!

How much strangeness? As another Fortean mentioned just a few weeks back, it's not well hidden.

Look around carefully.

The 'It Happened To Me' book is filled with wonderful accounts that I'd forgotten about. I still like the 'cooker on fire' story...

Dan doesn't post any more. He drank of a certain draught and everything changed. "I knew myself at the first breath of this new life, to be more wicked..."

He is, I am reliably informed, terribly happy that his oddly titled thread continues to this day, and still looks in when he isn't marking.

I really appriciate the High Strangeness here. I can't think of anything of my own to post, but if I think of anything, I'll post it. Meanwhile, keep up the strangeness. I've been lurking and this is one of my favourite threads.

I've noticed that the OP of that thread has really rather a lot of very unusual things happen to him/her, and have wondered in the past if they were perhaps related to the kind of scandinavian mythological beastie that lives under bridges...

Those really are quite splendidly bonkers.

I especially liked the oven on legs and the big white hairy peanuts!

It's kinda like Patrick Huyge's book 'A Field Guide to Extraterrestrials'... Although it's a shame the artist at that site gave the Palos Verdes 'brains' eyeballs - IMHO, eyeless brains are far creepier ;)

It really does bring into perspective just how weird alien encounters were a long time ago.
Most encounters these days are with humanoids, such as the greys.

It tends to vary nowadays, but it does seem that the influences of the greys and various film memes crop up alot. That said, there's a huge chunk of reports to be found here...

It's why I've wondered if many kinds of encounters - elves, some kinds of ghost, aliens etc are 'strange encounters' all of the same type of thing but modified in our perception by the current culture.

You're not the first to wonder about that - the journal 'Magonia', for example, tends to take that as the basis for evluating such areas of Forteana.

Jerry_B said:
It tends to vary nowadays, but it does seem that the influences of the greys and various film memes crop up alot. That said, there's a huge chunk of reports to be found here...

That's a bunch of reading! Thanks for the link.

Cochise said:
It's why I've wondered if many kinds of encounters - elves, some kinds of ghost, aliens etc are 'strange encounters' all of the same type of thing but modified in our perception by the current culture.

Robert Anton Wilson has talked about this a lot too. He often recanted one of his own personal experiences:

"Around 1973 I became convinced for a while that I was receiving messages from outer space, but then a psychic reader told me that I was actually channeling an ancient Chinese philosopher. And another psychic reader told me I was channeling a medieval Irish bard. And at that time I started reading neurology and I decided it was just my right brain talking to my left brain. And then I went to Ireland and discovered it was actually a six-foot-tall white rabbit. They call it the pooka."

You can see the full interview here, which expands on the point further comparing different supernatural experiences from a psychological point of view (highly recommended): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfrCLOIaro0

It may be a bit confusing if you haven't read his books, but he covers it in his Cosmic Trigger series. It should be compulsory reading for any Fortean.

On a personal note, I remember once, a Greek friend of mine living in Scotland remarked that it was strange that there were so many ghost stories in Scotland. I asked her if they had ghosts in Greece and she said no. She explained that sometimes people in Greece have visions of saints, but she'd never heard any Greek ghosts stories though.

Come to think of it, I can't remember ever hearing about any saintly visions in Scotland either. Draw your own conclusions :) Maybe a Greek orthodox christian could explain this by saying that they receive divine visions because they follow the one true faith and the "fact" that Scotland is haunted just goes to prove that the place is godless and damned.

My friend was an atheist by the way. ;)

Bannik said:
Here's an enjoyable collection of some of the craziest UFOlogical encounters in the whole crazy history of the subject:

http://bogleech.com/realaliens.html
The Swedish case on there was probably a hoax. I’m Swedish and it’s been discussed quite a bit here as domestic cases go. One of the guys ”came clean” (much later), the other did not.

Anyway, together they had some Adamski-style contacts after that one which I think no one puts any stock in.

Hi all - haven't been on the FT boards in a long time. I'm back looking for examples of complete and utter strangeness, topics that don't fit into established 'genres' (for lack of a better word) - in other words, not ghosts or UFO's or cryptos or even fish falls. I'm hoping to find even more bizarre stuff.

For example, there was an incredible tale on the boards some years ago about a guy who was crossing a street. On the other side of the street was an ordinary cat, moving about and generally acting like a cat. However, when he got close to the cat what he saw was a life-sized, photo cutout of the cat, propped up on a step. Not a real cat, even though he clearly saw it moving before. :confused:

There was another story involving, I kid you not, floating blue lights and giant turkeys (or at least, giant turkey tracks) at a farm in Virginia. :shock:

(Edit: found the link to the story) http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... ght=turkey

Anybody have any stories of mind-blowing weirdness that don't seem to make any sense at all?

Thanks, Tony - some interesting stuff there, although almost all of the links in that thread are dead. Still, not much of what I'm looking for. Too many alien/ufo tales, childhood dreams, monsters, etc.

I remember another FT story about an English fellow who, as a child, heard a strange sound coming from the street outside his bedroom window. The sound was similar to one of those giant rubber balls with a handle that you hop around on (but this was before those toys had been invented).

The problem was, nothing was there! As he and his brother watched, they heard the bouncing sound continue down the street until it faded away. :confused:

Anyway, I would love to hear tales about non-occult, non-alien, non-anything peak weirdness. Also, extremely bizarre mysteries like the lead masks case, or the Tamám Shud case. Both of those fascinate me--what the hell really happened?

Back