• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Dog That Turned Into Green Mist, Cows Standing On Hind Legs & Other Cases Of Gibbering Insanity

A

Anonymous

Now, folks.
CHF once wrote that he wasn't prepared to include the case of the (ahem) Dog What Said 'Good Morning' And Vanished Into A Green Mist (hereafter referred to as DWSGMAVIAGM) in his theorising, as the case was just too bizarre and had no precedent.

So...

I want to hear similar stories. Outright lunacy (of a Fortean kind), the kind of stuff that will just never get believed, even by the most slack-jawed credulous sky-pointing imbecile (i.e. me).
The really way out stuff. I don't know why, I just have a feeling that there's something that I'm missing.

To get you started: go here and check out the stories, in particular 'Dancing Cows' and 'Muppet Dream'.

Tell me that doesn't freak you out. I dare you.

Last edited by a moderator:
merridew said:
I believe we're all familiar with the IHTM story 'Mince meat pies'?
thanks.

Yes, the mince meat pie story was REALLY weird.

The Muppets were on TV a little earlier. I suppressed a shiver.

What really disturbed me about this was that, as a child, I had repeated nightmares about the TV turning itself on and showing terrifying puppet shows. Make of this what you will.

I've posted this link before in another forum, but
for a story of ordinary people dealing with the
incomprehensible, look for the letter from a reader
called "Visitors In The Trees ". Its in this Journal Entry
about a third of the way down the page (its a
very long journal entry!)

unknowncountry.com/journal/?id=67
Link is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed at the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20020817183107/http://www.unknowncountry.com/journal/?id=67

The "unreality" of it just rings true for some reason...
(Does that make any sense?) ;)
TVgeek

Good link, 'geek. I love stuff like this.

Partly comprehensible, but ultimately inexplicable. (So far...)

TVGeek

Doesn’t Vallee, in one of his books, discuss events that surrounded a man in France he referred to as Dr. X. that were very similar to what is described here. If I remember correctly these strange, unreal, reality shifts occurred after a UFO encounter that left physical traces on himself and his child. This Dr. X. reported encountering all sorts of strange creatures coming in and out of his life.

Dr. Vallee

The scenario sounds familiar, but I've been reading a lot of John Keel lately, so it may have been something Keel mentioned in passing. (Keel seems to use EVERYONE as a source!)

Come to mention it, so does Brad Stieger...
and Vincent Gaddis...and... ;)

I'm intrigued after Dr. Vallee's recent "resurrection", so I'll
have to go back and read more of his work! Thanks!

TVgeek

What I find really starnge about the Visitors story (apart from the aliens-in-trees bit, obviously) is the way it's related. There seem to be 'jumps' in the events and strange reactions to them:
I then saw a man jump off the pumphouse nearby, which is eight feet tall, and run off towards the trees. He was small, with brown hair, and seemed to bounce in a way that had no relation to gravity. Next, I left to do some marketing
I mean, if you saw a strange man jumping off your pumphouse, wouldn't you investigate rather than go off to the shops?
I went and got our Rotweiler dog. Holding him by the collar, I explored underneath the trees. This caused a commotion, and I saw ten or twelve pairs of legs, all wearing white pants, scamper away from me up the hill.
What, just legs, no bodies?Or were the bodies hidden by the vegetation?
She was climbing among the branches of one of the trees next to the house. I said, 'You have no right to do that without my permission; you should have asked.' I instantly realized how silly this accusation sounded
Errr... Someone climbs your trees and you feel silly for telling them off?

I think you've hit the nail on the head, Sally...
Why, with all this happening around them, did they just try and carry on with their "normal" existence? Were they being
somehow "commanded" to continue normal duties? Or was this
their "defense" reaction to extraordinary circumstances?

TVgeek

Just guessing here, but in the case of the weirdos in the trees, as above, I would think any normal person would either call the police or at the very least a number of nearby friends or family to come see what was happening. Also for a sense of security, both physical and mental. I certainly wouldn't go back to my normal daily routines until I comprehended what sort of complete freakishness was going on.

Good observation:

All of these cases share the common ingredient (dream-like). If the accounts can be believed then why is everybody running around like they are stunned or only running on half their cylinders. I’ve noticed the same tone when individuals report about animal mutilations (they’re scared, they felt odd). They may have seen strange lights or even awoke in the night to hear their cattle bawling in a near by pasture, but they do nothing about it.

This is the stuff. Crank up the freak factor folks. To inspire you yet further, return to ghosts.org and read Dancing Cows and Bedroom Troll.

Those cows - I mean what? If there is a Cosmic Mind, never mind sane, it's having a f~~~ing* laugh.

*"flipping"

Dan, did you remember that (bit of a long shot) letter in FT a few years back about the Penguin. Rather similar to the Muppets with fangs tale, it involved a kid who slept inbetween his parents only to wake up in the middle of the night when a tv screen appeared on the wall..

I've mentioned it on here before.. In the forum somewhere.. I'll have a look for it..

I find "High Strangeness" cases fascinating. This reminds me of the Christmas Aliens story, where a woman found her house invaded by three little fairies wearing helmets who jumped around her lounge and trashed her Christmas tree. She tried to feed them mince pies but they weren't interested (inappropriate reactions on the part of the witnesses seem to be a feature of these cases).

After they left in a bright light outside, the woman fell ill over the next few days, and I think her Christmas tree disappeared, too. I'll see if I can find this referenced on the internet, I don't recall the full story.

Ah, yes here we are. Found it..

Back in an early edition of FT, in the letter pages, someone reported of a childhood experience where, aged about 5 or 6 they couldn't sleep, & went to sleep inbetween mummy & daddy.. In the night the reader was awoken by a cinema screen being projected at the foot of the bed, showing a newsreader reading out some news no child is interested in i'm sure (sorry, had a few pints tonight, trying to articulate this as best I can) anyway, what gets the childs attention, is when the newsreader announces "and now, the penquin" & the projection shuts down..

The bedroom door then opens & a large penquin figure waddles in over to the side of the bed & threatens to eat the child..

Can't remember much more of the story, but heh, it's a funny old world.. It seems strange that kids have more of these strange tales than most.. (I've had a similar experience involving waking to see a large tiger staring through the window at the foot of my bed, but enough of that...)

I believe that I've read that children must learn the difference between fantasy and reality, and this knowledge only comes as they age. Small children, therefore, would tend to report more high-strangeness events.

Since many of these events, even when reported by adults, have a very dream-like quality, that's probably exactly what they are: dreams.

High-strangeness witnessed by two or more persons who testify to the same events might be something else, again.

By-the-way, I read the dancing-cow story on Owiban's website quite a while ago, and I think it's wonderful. Interesting reaction from the grandmother, if I recall, which leads one to suspect she'd seen the dancing cows before. :madeyes:

I too read the Dancing Cows story a couple of years ago and it stayed with me. The granny certainly seemed to know what their appearance meant and it frightened her. The other girl who saw them in the same neighbourhood was afraid too, mainly because she thought that anyone she confessed to would think her mad.

I think I've touched on this before, but here goes anyway-
There is a hierarchy of credibility. Grown men are at the top and young children are at the bottom. Women feature in between.

So everything a child says is suspect, because adults simply don't believe what they say.

Any parent knows that the first time Junior says 'I'm going to wet myself- now!' it's ignored, until the puddle appears.

Women too are disbelieved. They are traditionally called liars for reporting all sorts of personal injustices.

I could go on, but you've got the gist.

Mad things happen: we first say not, 'How can we verify this?' but 'to whom did it happen?' and proceed from there.

Re: Dancing Cows

I don't know why, but I can't help but think that those two cows were the projected neon lights of a lorry (an animated picture, perhaps on the front or rear) Looming through the fog. Maybe a logo for a brand of beer or somesuch. Two 'dancing bulls' ..There's a bell ringing up in my head :)

I totally agree over the 'kids seeing things' issue; a lot of them sound like very scary dreams. What really intrigues me is the similarity; is some kind of archetype present? Sharing room, TV sets, reassuring things becoming terrifying...

On that note, I've recalled a story posted online some years ago, from a guy who had a recurring dream (possibly not) about a mothman type thing called something like 'Mr Gonzalez'. I say possibly not as ISTR that his brother saw the thing too - the reason I mention it is that the creature's appearance was heralded by the radio coming on by itself in the small hours.

Dancing cows as projections - hmmm. Not bad. It's a bit 'Far Side', isn't it?

More High Strangeness! Smear it all over yourselves!

Re: Far Side..

Hm.. Maybe i've been looking at too many of Mr Larson's cartoons.. :)

Ooh, I've found another one on ObiWan's site: read 'Mr Kangaroo'. Not too sure, but it sounds good.

On the subject of TV's doing weird things, I recall that once, in between adverts, I saw this green alieny thing looking out at me. The image was there for abt 3 seconds, and it looked highly surprised that it could be seen. It reached over, pushed a button and then the next ad came on. Very strange.

Oh...and abt that kid who saw the newscaster with the penguin - my first thought was "he's been watching too much Monty Python".... "And now, the penguin on your TV will explode." :D

High Strangeness alert: the 'oven's on fire' letter in the new FT.

Ages ago, we had a thread about the really weird cases. That thread related to all aspects of Forteana, but I'm more interested in UFOs on this occasion. The totally mad ones...

To get the ball rolling, there's a reference, totally unsupported in an ancient issue of Unexplained magazine from sometime in the 1980s. It was discussing types of entity and mentioned in passing that 'the giant maggots that crawled across the road during a sighting in France are very unusual' (no sh*t) or words to that effect.

As usual, I await your comments folks...

I also recall reading in the Unexplained a story of a boy being bullied at a school in Mexico (I think), he was pushed into a wall by a bully and passed straight through it as if he were a ghost.

One would assume that he was never bullied again.

I will see if I can find it in my parenst attic.

How the UFO entity paintings in Unexplained used to terrify me...

Ah, nostalgia. Anyone know owt about them maggotty things?
I've been desperate to find out about this one for nearly twenty years. That has to count for something.

High Strangeness

I had a look through my set of The Unexplained but couldn't find that bit about the giant maggots! Still, if that's where you saw it in the first place then there wouldn't be any more information there anyway. So I had a look on Google but strangely the only reference I could find was the same sentence you included in your original post, almost verbatim!

"Giant white maggots like those which crawled across a road in Yssandon, France are very rare"

From this page -

geocities.com/nojjon_uk/Aliens.html
Link is dead. No archived version available at the Wayback Machine.

:rolleyes:

Back