• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Doomsday / Apocalypse Thread

I'm 46 years old. I remember back in the early 90s, I met a number of different people who, like me, had independently become convinced that the world would end in 1997.

Yet, here we all are.

I've seen a LOT of end-of-the-world predictions over the years. In fact, I'd say in any given year, there's at least one major prediction of an apocalypse, and sometimes we have a few!

I had a friend in university who told me that their dad was constantly making predictions that the world would end, and then he would get actually depressed when the date would come and go.

I think there are psychological reasons that we do this.

I often like to think that the "end of the world" is kind of like the DEATH card in tarot. In tarot, the "death" card almost never means actual "death", but rather "change", because sometimes change can be like "death". When ideas, or hopes or dreams end, it's like the end of the world ... but it's just change and we move on.

Even "death" is just a doorway.

And so I think the world is constantly ending, and constantly being reborn, and what we're feeling in these predictions is not an actual global destruction, but just the movement of forces and variables in the world.

Last edited:
But of course the world is constantly ending. It ends every day for those whom die. That's a doomsday we will all find in our own time. One should not, however, be so unaware as to have no clue what to do in the event of sudden disaster, which could be as simple as home invasion. Fortune has prepared me for that eventuality, unfortunately for those whom may make the error; the garden will enjoy them nonetheless.

Funny how most think, because survival will depend on social order being restored, not the reverse, and that will happen with draconian speed and force. Insolence will be dealt with swiftly. Looters shot, criminals hung, and hero's rewarded. Quite the opposite of today's social order by enlarge.

Humans are social creatures. They will find themselves once their self proclaimed over-lords disappear. They will have no other choice. Unite or die, it will be that simple.

Safety and security is an adult responsibility. One is free to live however they choose: As a sheep or as a tiger, it matters not to me. An adult prepares as best they can, most of which is mental, with knowledge and experience.

Well, Doomsday seems almost upon us, with Trump threatening Fire And Fury against North Korea. Your bunker should include the following : Back issues of Fortean Times, battery operated radio, batteries, tinned food, water, the complete works of Barbara Cartland/Danielle Steele/Jackie Collins/Terry Pratchett, the complete boxset of Blake's Seven and a bucket load of black jelly beans!

I see even FT is not immune to this malarkey...
Well, Doomsday seems almost upon us, with Trump threatening Fire And Fury against North Korea. Your bunker should include the following : Back issues of Fortean Times, battery operated radio, batteries, tinned food, water, the complete works of Barbara Cartland/Danielle Steele/Jackie Collins/Terry Pratchett, the complete boxset of Blake's Seven and a bucket load of black jelly beans!

I prefer fire and fury against North Korea than to Russia, which is surefire death to all. LBJ did the same thing, only he put the entire USAF up in the sky and had them fly along the DMZ as a warning. Kind of surprised he didn't anything else. Trump isn't LBJ however, he will nuke North Korea, and if that happens it's probably going to result in Global War, which is just what some people would like to see.

The Donald has no choice. He's being guided into a kill box which contains all of us I'm afraid. People are just stupid. They have no real conception of what thermonuclear war actually means. They have no idea what war even means since almost none of them have ever served anything to anyone besides guff.

I don't know what they think, or even if they think any longer, because anyone who thinks for five seconds that there's a victory in this is clinically insane.

Trump needs to check his damn mouth at the door.....He is constantly letting his alligator mouth over land his canary ass.

Do not trust the military, they will use their power in an abusive manner as to exploit and pillage us as though we are just cattle. Avoid the cities, because either way, there may be nuclear strikes on them as also military locations in other nations. Trust your judgements, but do consider what those whom are experienced and/or planned for this have to say.

Get a survival handbook, I always carry one in my emergency back-pack just in case I have forgotten something. Chances are that you will have to travel on foot, in fact that would be the safest method of travel in those troubled times. Carry a bow, not a gun, unless you can somehow find 10's of kilograms of bullets somewhere, it is not like the movies. Always keep a watch on the news, especially the financial economical news.

Safe travels my brothers.

Trump needs to check his damn mouth at the door.....He is constantly letting his alligator mouth over land his canary ass.

There's something about your avatar which oddly seems attractive

this-mirror-makes-me-look-ripped-2667218.png

Last edited:
Do not trust the military, they will use their power in an abusive manner as to exploit and pillage us as though we are just cattle. Avoid the cities, because either way, there may be nuclear strikes on them as also military locations in other nations. Trust your judgements, but do consider what those whom are experienced and/or planned for this have to say.

Get a survival handbook, I always carry one in my emergency back-pack just in case I have forgotten something. Chances are that you will have to travel on foot, in fact that would be the safest method of travel in those troubled times. Carry a bow, not a gun, unless you can somehow find 10's of kilograms of bullets somewhere, it is not like the movies. Always keep a watch on the news, especially the financial economical news.

Safe travels my brothers.

Actually, if there's one book that's worth memorising, it's Lofty Wiseman's SAS Survival Handbook. It's an amazing collection of knowledge that empowers the reader in everyday life. Make do and mend. And how many scenarios can be overcome with a few basic materials.

I've really go to take a time out from this...but....

Actually, if there's one book that's worth memorising, it's Lofty Wiseman's SAS Survival Handbook. It's an amazing collection of knowledge that empowers the reader in everyday life. Make do and mend. And how many scenarios can be overcome with a few basic materials.

Say no more...in pdf form 2nd ed.
https://ia801305.us.archive.org/26/...Nee.com.SAS.Survival.Handbook.2nd.Edition.pdf

Other forms here.
https://archive.org/details/SASSurvivalHandbookTheUltimateGuideToSurvivingAnywhere

I prefer fire and fury against North Korea than to Russia, which is surefire death to all. LBJ did the same thing, only he put the entire USAF up in the sky and had them fly along the DMZ as a warning. Kind of surprised he didn't anything else. Trump isn't LBJ however, he will nuke North Korea, and if that happens it's probably going to result in Global War, which is just what some people would like to see.

The Donald has no choice. He's being guided into a kill box which contains all of us I'm afraid. People are just stupid. They have no real conception of what thermonuclear war actually means. They have no idea what war even means since almost none of them have ever served anything to anyone besides guff.

I don't know what they think, or even if they think any longer, because anyone who thinks for five seconds that there's a victory in this is clinically insane.

True, if Trump does bomb North Korea, it's death to us all. Am I being naive to think there might be at least one person in either camp who might actually hold the leash firmly enough to stop the Dogs Of War from pressing the button?

True, if Trump does bomb North Korea, it's death to us all. Am I being naive to think there might be at least one person in either camp who might actually hold the leash firmly enough to stop the Dogs Of War from pressing the button?

I don't know. I do think that if people start pointing towards the right people they could influence what happens, and those people are the billionaires; the bilderbergs. It's not nation state leaders that rule. It's the wealthy.

Think Mark Suckerberg gives a hoot, or Bill Gates, or the Rothchilds, or the other 300 bilderbergs? Think they are worried? Ya know, why these empty cities in Africa and in the far reaches of China and probably elsewhere? Who's going to be in those places when the missiles come raining down? What, they will be empty?

Latest Sat images show these Chinese Ghost cities aren't full up like Forbes reported a little over a year ago. Far from it, and the curious thing is how there's farm land adjacent to the buildings, almost like they supposed that getting food might become an issue.

58b986c0be96731c008b4880.jpg

A Nuclear war is inevitable, it has to happen some time in the future. Does not matter anyway, we will all probably be destroyed by complete environmental destruction before a Nuclear firing exchange.

Perhaps with a little sugar and spice and everything nice, there will be a complete system reboot and troubleshoot of our Civilisation.

Latest Sat images show these Chinese Ghost cities aren't full up like Forbes reported a little over a year ago. Far from it, and the curious thing is how there's farm land adjacent to the buildings, almost like they supposed that getting food might become an issue.

58b986c0be96731c008b4880.jpg

False assumption, I'm afraid.

Although it certainly looks incongruous to western eyes, the existence of patches of agricultural land near modern developments is very common in East Asia. The situation obviously varies from country to country, but the usual scenario is that land that has been bought for commercial and residential use is not allowed to then sit vacant indefinitely. There are legal requirements that if development is delayed the land must be rented out to tenant farmers (like an English allotment) at statutorily limited prices on yearly contracts--I've seen it all over Korea and Japan. In the situation depicted in your photograph (and indeed my last home), a sizeable development is being built in stages and those field will be earmarked for the future changes--assuming financial success and full occupancy of the existing buildings.

It's actually nice. I used to eat my breakfast on the twenty-third floor and gaze down on an old man growing cabbage and corn.

Last edited:
I have a theory that 'doomsday' is the inevitable end product of mankind. Humans are hard wired toward religious beliefs. Nearly all religious beliefs culminate in an 'apocalyptic' end. Whether that apocalypse is the demise of mankind or the rise of enlightenment, it necessarily means the end of civilization as it is known. Though the word apocalypse, which originally conveyed 'a revealing of hidden things', has come to mean (rightly so) destruction...the negative connotation is entirely modern. In all apocalyptic religious beliefs, the Apocalypse is the hoped for, blessed event.

There is a phenomenon of the human psyche called self-fulfilling prophecy which basically causes predictions to become true through both conscious direct and subconscious indirect actions. Considering that the collective psyche of mankind has believed in and hoped for a global, apocalyptic release throughout history, it would only make sense to reason that doomsday is the end result of a collective, self-fulfilling prophecy. It does not matter whether religious belief A is true and religious belief B is false or both are false, Mankind will bring about the Apocalypse through direct and indirect actions...thereby fulfilling the 'prophecies' of a doomsday. This might be regarded as a bleak picture, devoid of hope for humankind but man's religious nature regards it as the hope of mankind. Therein lies the driving force behind the self fulfillment, albeit subconsciously, of the doomsday prophecy.

Some people might consider the apocalypse religious silliness, others might think it paranoia while still others think it simple fear mongering. Personally, I think these opinions are wilful ignorance. We can dismiss religious beliefs if we feel inclined to do so but we can not readily dismiss the psychological imperatives of humankind. The Doomsday clock continues to tick closer to midnight regardless.

Doomsday as I see it will be a big asteroid that is heading our way right now. We just have not detected it yet. It is not a matter of if but when.

Doomsday as I see it will be a big asteroid that is heading our way right now. We just have not detected it yet. It is not a matter of if but when.

You're very likely right, but the important points are:

A) How far away is it?
B) What is its velocity?
C) Will humanity have homes beyond Earth by the time it arrives to smite the planet?

A Nuclear war is inevitable, it has to happen some time in the future. Does not matter anyway, we will all probably be destroyed by complete environmental destruction before a Nuclear firing exchange.
I can't see any reason why our current Civilisation should end up any differetly that any other Civilisation has before ours. Everything eventually comes to an end to make room for the new.

Though I'm not quite sure what some people mean when they say things like, 'We are destroying and killing the Earth' because from my perspective, it will be Humankind, ourselves, we will end up detroying way before we can ever annihilate Earth.

And, (I was told at school never start a sentence with the word 'and' but I just did), when we humans have all gone, the Earth will sigh in relief, roll around and keep on going creating new landscapes and new earthforms until Earth's Time too, is to be no more...

Last edited:
Hi S-D...at some point, Earth's luck will certainly run out when comes to cosmic collisions. Yet, if Earth continues to avoid cosmic fate for the near future, there is a greater chance that an earth born natural catastrophe or a man-made one will see our civilization before then.

I can't see any reason why our current Civilisation should end up any differetly that any other Civilisation has before ours. Everything eventually comes to an end to make room for the new.

Though I'm not quite sure what some people mean when they say things like, 'We are destroying and killing the Earth' because from my perspective, it will be Humankind, ourselves, we will end up detroying way before we can ever annihilate Earth.

And, (I was told at school never start a sentence with the word 'and' but I just did), when we humans have all gone, the Earth will sigh in relief, roll around and keep on going creating new landscapes and new earthforms until Earth's Time too, is to be no more...

Do you ever wonder if the Earth functions as a sentient organism that is developing defenses against us? For example, a tree (which one might reason is but an extension of the earth itself) when endangered will send out a signal to all the other trees in the area and thereby cause those forewarned trees to mount a defense against an invading pest. The collective body of trees, operating as a sentient, if not sapient whole, will kill off the invaders. The Earth is becoming hostile to human life and that may be in direct response to humans depleting the earth of all its natural resources. It will not be long before the earth will be unable to support the ever increasing human population. Yet, inevitably, it is the human race and not the Earth which will perish in this battle of supremacy. Once we use up the last resource, we are finished...or will, at the most, become ghosts of our former selves wondering a barren landscape.

Nuclear Winter! Nothing survives except the cockroaches that secretly control the world.

Do you ever wonder if the Earth functions as a sentient organism that is developing defenses against us? For example, a tree (which one might reason is but an extension of the earth itself) when endangered will send out a signal to all the other trees in the area and thereby cause those forewarned trees to mount a defense against an invading pest.

I believe all things on Earth are sentient even if we as humans can't see or perceive it. Whether they are developing defenses specifically against us I haven't thought about other than I do know from the field work I have done in the past that trees do have an awareness and develop defences against environmental changes. I've seen biological evidence that trees know they are about to die, for example, after being badly damaged after a bushfire and in their desperation to reproduce before they die, have produced seeds and growth totally out of season. Isn't that also what evolution is about? Species making the best of the current situation and making biological changes over time to adapt to changing circumstances?

Going back to the tree example, there were Tribes in times gone by, for example, who if they wanted to chop a tree down would go up to that tree and tell the tree what their intent was. The belief being that not only that particular tree would go into 'shock' but the trees around it would too. They saw that as a way to anaesthetise the tree, thus momentarily depriving it of feeling or awareness - no different than when a stun gun is used on animals. Then, while the trees were in shock they would chop it down (in effect kill it) to use the wood for whatever it was they had in mind.

The tribal Shamans job was to bring balance for humans to seek a balance and understanding of the animal and plant worlds (believing that plants have a Spirit as well as animals and humans)... it was a way of understanding not just the perils of and hardships of life, but also to bring a balanced understanding and acceptance to the notion that something has to die, be it a plant or an animal or human for something else to live...

Nuclear Winter! Nothing survives except the cockroaches that secretly control the world.
Arhh yes... you just gotta love those cockroaches - pretty nifty creatures. Many years ago when I lived in the city for a while I had a pet cockroach... lol...

It used to come out at the same time every night and scamper around and I would feed it food crumbs. The only reason I know it was the same one was because it had a missing leg... Then about 2 weeks later or so it stopped coming so I figured someone must have stepped on it and squashed the poor thing...

Arhh yes... you just gotta love those cockroaches - pretty nifty creatures. Many years ago when I lived in the city for a while I had a pet cockroach... lol...

It used to come out at the same time every night and scamper around and I would feed it food crumbs. The only reason I know it was the same one was because it had a missing leg... Then about 2 weeks later or so it stopped coming so I figured someone must have stepped on it and squashed the poor thing...
Damn! Why would they squash the worlds most smallest vacuum cleaner, even better than Nano-technology!

Damn! Why would they squash the worlds most smallest vacuum cleaner, even better than Nano-technology!
And, can survive radiation exposure.

I was always interested in Nuclear Physics since I was about 10 or 11 years of age.

And, can survive radiation exposure.

I was always interested in Nuclear Physics since I was about 10 or 11 years of age.
When I was ickle, I lived in Singapore and if you wanted to see cockroaches, you only had to lift a drain cover. Hundreds of the buggers, including albino ones. Big as well, size of a matchbox, if you hit 'em with a badminton racket as they flew by they went a long way, and most times after landing, they got up and walked off. Amah Kim used to squash the scuttlers with her big toe, she was quick.

When I was ickle, I lived in Singapore and if you wanted to see cockroaches, you only had to lift a drain cover. Hundreds of the buggers, including albino ones. Big as well, size of a matchbox, if you hit 'em with a badminton racket as they flew by they went a long way, and most times after landing, they got up and walked off. Amah Kim used to squash the scuttlers with her big toe, she was quick.
Careful then, they will control you, Hahaha LOL!

Isn't that also what evolution is about? Species making the best of the current situation and making biological changes over time to adapt to changing circumstances?

Evolution occurs due to random mutation where that mutation offers a reproductive advantage or a survival advantage that in turn offers greater chance of reproduction. The 'faulty gene' and its mutation is then passed on to the next generation.

The idea that a species can 'adapt' is suggesting something closer to intelligent design, evolution is simply a fortuitous mutation that suits the changed circumstances.

Back