• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Doomsday / Apocalypse Thread

Damn! Why would they squash the worlds most smallest vacuum cleaner, even better than Nano-technology!
I'm only assuming it got squashed, I have no idea... maybe it carked it through old age or it got weary of life and knecked itself? ...

Sad part was it wasn't around long enough to get a decent name and I couldn't get past my lack of imagination by calling it The Cockroach with a Missing Leg...

I'm only assuming it got squashed, I have no idea... maybe it carked it through old age or it got weary of life and knecked itself? ...

Sad part was it wasn't around long enough to get a decent name and I couldn't get past my lack of imagination by calling it The Cockroach with a Missing Leg...
Who would have guessed the mighty name 'Cockroach with Missing Leg'! All worship the 'Cockroach with Missing Leg'!

The idea that a species can 'adapt' is suggesting something closer to intelligent design, evolution is simply a fortuitous mutation that suits the changed circumstances.
That makes perfect sense... I've long forgotten all about science and how it works and these days sometimes grapple to find the right expressions...

But yes, that was what I was getting at... and it pretty well sums up my belief...

You're very likely right, but the important points are:

A) How far away is it?
B) What is its velocity?
C) Will humanity have homes beyond Earth by the time it arrives to smite the planet?

We will not know that until that day arrives, but I have had a gut feeling for decades that it is soon, very soon.
We are over due for a big one.
Asteroids 1-2km in diameter hit every million years or so.
It has been 3 million years and still counting....

We will not know that until that day arrives, but I have had a gut feeling for decades that it is soon, very soon.
We are over due for a big one.
Asteroids 1-2km in diameter hit every million years or so.
It has been 3 million years and still counting....

Why would we get no warning? Surely the bigger it is the more likely it is to be noticed?

Have you any suppport for the statement that one is overdue? I'm not saying it's untrue, but I've not read such a claim myself.

Why would we get no warning? Surely the bigger it is the more likely it is to be noticed?

Have you any suppport for the statement that one is overdue? I'm not saying it's untrue, but I've not read such a claim myself.

Not saying we would not detect it. I think we would but we may not be able to do anything about it.
I had just looked at the statistics about asteroids that hit the Earth of that size range. It indicated about every 1 million years and went on to say the last one hit near todays Argentina about 3 million years ago.

Here is one link about us being over due for one. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...asteroid-comet-extinction-event-a7481161.html

Fortunately it wasn't a nuclear missile. But there are rumours that some devices went missing.

A "stolen" 10m-long (35ft) Soviet-era anti-aircraft missile has exploded at a recycling centre in eastern Russia, killing two and injuring one.

Russian media were alerted to the explosion of the large-scale missile in the city of Chita after a YouTube user uploaded a car dashcam video showing the moment of the blast.

The missile was an S-200 Angara, known as the SA-5 "Gammon" in Nato countries. They have been in service since the 1960s, but are nowadays superseded by the S-300 and S-400 surface-to-air models.

It is unknown how the missile came to be at a recycling plant. Local news website by24.org says that the seven tonne missile "had been stolen" from a military base by persons unknown and taken to the facility in exchange for cash. It had likely exploded while recycling workers were trying to dismantle it.

News website The Insider says that emergency response workers later found another intact rocket from the S-200 missile system. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-40900219?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Arhh yes... you just gotta love those cockroaches - pretty nifty creatures. Many years ago when I lived in the city for a while I had a pet cockroach... lol...

It used to come out at the same time every night and scamper around and I would feed it food crumbs. The only reason I know it was the same one was because it had a missing leg... Then about 2 weeks later or so it stopped coming so I figured someone must have stepped on it and squashed the poor thing...

When I was little I operated a cockroach and lizard hospital in an old box. I would attempt to reattach lizard tails and roach legs with tape and/or glue. Yes, I had toys but I had an even greater imagination. lol

When I was little I operated a cockroach and lizard hospital in an old box. I would attempt to reattach lizard tails and roach legs with tape and/or glue. Yes, I had toys but I had an even greater imagination. lol
Arrrrgggghhhhhh!!!! I hate to think what you progressed to...!

Last edited:
Borrowed from Reddit.

How to Prevent Nuclear War.

zpinrtmgjafz.png

I'm not saying it's untrue, but I've not read such a claim myself.

You may not either...Its likely they would see it coming unless it comes in from the Sun like the Chelbinsky meteor did thats the reason that was not seen until it was to late. The next one due to zip by is 2012Tc4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_TC4

There are a lot that has been seen but there are more they have not seen yet...And I agree at some point we will get hit but I don't think it will be one we don't see coming.

There are many more things that could wipe us out....

Arrrrgggghhhhhh!!!! I hat to think what you progressed to...!

Not a serial killer if that's what you are thinking. I was trying to help them, not torture them.I felt pity for them. I was, more than anything, a compassionate child. :)

So you became an undertaker?

Just kidding!

How will it save the world to give my white chocolate Magnum to Emily Ratajkowski?

maximus otter

You're right, best to go via an intermediary priest or similar. Fortunately, I'm an ordained minister of the Church of Tribbleology. Send me your ice cream and I'll be sure to sacrifice it in your name.

The thing (ok, one of the things) that's always perplexed me about these 'end of the world' :roll: dates is; which part of the world does it apply to?

If the world's going on end on, say, 24th June, is that when Australia and New Zealand get to the 24th June, cos they're in the future* so they get there first, or is it when the UK gets to that date, or the USA, or what? :meh:

*I know Australia is in the future because when I switch on ABC Radio Sydney when I go to bed, they're already in tomorrow and they're having breakfast :D

The thing (ok, one of the things) that's always perplexed me about these 'end of the world' :roll: dates is; which part of the world does it apply to?

If the world's going on end on, say, 24th June, is that when Australia and New Zealand get to the 24th June, cos they're in the future* so they get there first, or is it when the UK gets to that date, or the USA, or what? :meh:

*I know Australia is in the future because when I switch on ABC Radio Sydney when I go to bed, they're already in tomorrow and they're having breakfast :D

I hope they develop hypersonic passenger jets so I can arrive in Oz before I leave Ireland.

All these Doomsday predictions are really preventing the end of the world. Just think about it... do you think God is going to end the world on one of the predicted dates, allowing one of these people to be correct? Nope, God is thinking "Well, can't end the world that day, Jim from Smithville would be right in his prediction."

Doing us a service they are, preventing the end of the world.

All these Doomsday predictions are really preventing the end of the world. Just think about it... do you think God is going to end the world on one of the predicted dates, allowing one of these people to be correct? Nope, God is thinking "Well, can't end the world that day, Jim from Smithville would be right in his prediction."

Doing us a service they are, preventing the end of the world.

"But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father." : Mark 13:32

Anyone claiming to know the End Date based on the Bible probably hasn't read it all.

Well, if you combine it with Flat Earth Theory, in which Australia doesn't exist...

Last edited:
"But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father." : Mark 13:32

Anyone claiming to know the End Date based on the Bible probably hasn't read it all.

Well, if you combine it with Flat Earth Theory, in which Australia doesn't exist...

Oh, we exist, it's the lot of you that don't!

Yes, God alone knows when we're due for clobbering, but to help us brace ourselves for it Jesus offered these clues below in Mark ch 13, I usually avoid posting big chunks of scripture but if there are any Sherlock Holmes out there they might like to have fun sifting through them, as some might already have been fulfilled, and the clock is still ticking regarding the rest..:)-
"Many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am he,' and will deceive many...
Wars and rumors of wars...Nation will rise against nation..
Earthquakes...Famines.... persecutions....And the gospel must first be preached to all the nations.
Pray that this will not take place in winter, because those will be days of distress unequalled from the beginning, when God created the world, until now--and never to be equaled again.
If the Lord had not cut short those days, no one would survive.
But for the sake of the elect, whom he has chosen, he has shortened them.
At that time if anyone says to you, 'Look, here is the Christ' or, 'Look, there he is!' do not believe it.
For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform signs and miracles to deceive the elect--if that were possible.
So be on your guard; I have told you everything ahead of time.
But in those days, following that distress the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light;
the stars will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.
At that time men will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory.
And he will send his angels and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of the heavens.
Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near.
Even so, when you see these things happening, you know that it is near, right at the door.
I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.
Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.
Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come.
What I say to you, I say to everyone: ‘Watch!"
- Jesus of Nazareth

rel-jc_zpsqfolvznq.jpg~original

Last edited:
Yes, God alone knows when we're due for clobbering, but to help us brace ourselves for it Jesus offered these clues below in Mark ch 13, I usually avoid posting big chunks of scripture but if there are any Sherlock Holmes out there they might like to have fun sifting through them, as some might already have been fulfilled, and the clock is still ticking regarding the rest..:)-
"Many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am he,' and will deceive many...
Wars and rumors of wars...Nation will rise against nation..
Earthquakes...Famines.... persecutions....

Has there been a single year since when there hasn't been wars, natural disasters and con artists claiming a direct line to Upstairs?

Has there been a single year since when there hasn't been wars, natural disasters and con artists claiming a direct line to Upstairs?

Right, many of Jesus's prophecies have been fulfilled, but some are still waiting in line.
Incidentally, some skeptics point to the fact that Jesus said in the quote below that they'd all be fulfilled within the lifespan of his own generation (including his own return to earth), but as it hasn't happened yet, they claim the whole prophecy thing is therefore baloney. What do FT's finest think?
"I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened."- Jesus of Nazareth

I hope he's OK. He's an institution!

Back