• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Drugs Don't Work? Wild Behaviour In The Grip Of Narcotics

'A psychologist who analysed the suicide note told us that he was under the influence of a drug when he wrote it,' his mother said.

I think it would be pretty much impossible to write anything while under the influence of Salvia.

'The fact that his posthumous drug test showed no signs of drugs led us to believe definitely that the drug had to be salvia, especially since that was all the police found with him.

I wonder if they considered the possibility that he wasn't under the influence of anything when he did what he did?

We have passionfruit plants in our garden that are covered in flowers every year and I've read that you can get a high off of smoking these. Does anybody know if this is true?

Doesn't Salvia contain mescalin?

dunno about high but my herbal sleeping tablets have passionflower in them and work well......

river_styx said:
We have passionfruit plants in our garden that are covered in flowers every year and I've read that you can get a high off of smoking these. Does anybody know if this is true?

Doesn't Salvia contain mescalin?
According to the internet, passionflower does work, but doesn't appear to do all that much. I know that morning glory seeds to make you high as I once made the mistake of eating some, and spent the next few hours feeling like I was on acid but feeling really really sick and wandering lost around Dublin.

Salvia contains something called Salvinorin A apparently. Wikipedia says: 'It is structurally quite distinct from other naturally occurring hallucinogens such as N,N-dimethyltryptamine, psilocybin, and mescaline and from synthetic hallucinogens such as lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), and 2C-B, mainly since it contains no Nitrogen atoms, which is why Salvinorin is not an alkaloid.'

I've never tried Salvia, but from what I've read and heard it has some crazy properties. No doubt from all the publicity its getting these days (youtube and the like) It'll be classed as illegal soon.

Yeah, anything that gives you pleasure will eventually be made illegal (chocolate, beer, orgasms, etc).

It's only about a week since I posted here about Salvia divinorum.

So I was rather surprised today by the fact that a character in my latest whodunnit (Not in the Flesh, by Ruth Rendell, 2007) was happily smoking it in a pipe! (Of course, Chief Inspector Wexford knew it was perfectly legal! 8) )

'Stoned' dog leads to drugs find

A pensioner in Berkshire alerted police to a £50,000 cannabis factory next door after her pet dog seemed "stoned".

Valerie Bailey, 66, became suspicious four weeks ago when her West Highland Terrier Holly started to "sleep until mid-morning".

When police raided the home next door in Royal Avenue, Calcot, on Wednesday officers found 200 cannabis plants.

Those responsible were being traced by police and the drugs have already been destroyed.

Mrs Bailey said: "We noticed a lot of smells coming into the house.

"My husband and I developed a terrible cough and realised something was wrong.

"My little [Holly], I had a job getting her up in the morning, it was almost as though she was drugged, probably stoned.

"She seemed to need a lot of sleep, which is not like her, which made us suspicious.

"People have got to be aware of this going on and be alert."

Pc Tim Emery, from Thames Valley Police, said: "It was quite a large operation with the street value of about £50,000.

"The drugs have already been destroyed.

"I am obviously pleased in our area we have identified these [cannabis factories] and shut them down."

Officers appealed to anyone with information to come forward.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berk ... 038330.stm

Drug experts to urge ban on Spice 'herbal high'
Legal smoking mixture contains chemicals that mimic effects of cannabis, government advisers warn
Alan Travis, home affairs editor
guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 11 August 2009

The government's drug experts will tomorrow recommend banning Spice, a herbal smoking mixture thought to be as strong as some strains of skunk cannabis.

The decision, which the home secretary, Alan Johnson, is expected to endorse, will mark the first official move to curb a burgeoning market in "legal highs". Sales of herbal drug subsitutes have grown rapidly through a network of online sites and backstreet "head shops".

The government's Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD) is to warn that Spice Gold, which is advertised as a herbal high and an "aromatic potpourri", is in reality far from innocuous. They will say it contains synthetic chemicals that mimic the effects of some of the more powerful active ingredients in cannabis.

The council's advice follows a request from the former home secretary Jacqui Smith to investigate the product in March.

She voiced her concern over the "wide and largely unregulated market in the sale of psychoactive legal alternatives to illegal drugs, particularly as they are actively marketed to young people in head shops and via websites.

"Advice on the availability and harms of these so called 'legal highs', with a particular focus on protecting young people, will be very useful in informing future government policies," Smith told the ACMD.

Spice Gold has been around since 2006, when it was first imported from China. The smoking mixture costs £20 for a 3gram pouch, and contains mostly unidentified herbal matter, with ingredients such as dried flowers, leaves and aroma extracts listed on the packet. It is sold in various"flavours", with Arctic, Diamond and Silver promising different strengths.

The Trojan Horse properties of Spice were only identified last December, by the THC Pharm laboratory in Germany, which is developing medicinal cannabis. The research led to a ban in Germany and Austria in January this year. France followed suit in February.

Martin Barnes, the chief executive of the drugs information charity DrugScope, said making Spice products illegal would be a "pre-emptive measure", although the limited available research did suggest there were "potential harms" attached to their use.

etc...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009 ... substitute

That's half the FT's advertising revenue gone if they do ban them.

gncxx said:
That's half the FT's advertising revenue gone if they do ban them.
They'll balance it out by cutting down on website and MB maintenance.... 8)

lkb3rd said:
Fenris said:
I wonder if any of these odd occurences were preceded by a few games of ten pin bowling perhaps.
Its not the drugs or the violent video games, its the bowlarama.

LSD is effective in doses measured in the microgram range, its toxicity will probably never be known because you would be tripping way too hard to ever find a dose that was actually physically poisonous, if in fact LSD is even poisonous.
1 gram is about 20 000 hits
i think it's true that no overdoses of lsd are on record. yes, people have died, because their hallucinations caused them to do dumb things. but as far as lsd toxicity... none on record..
edit i have read the thread more and seen that apprently i am wrong.
my point is, unless you ingest a LUDICROUS amount, that would cost TONS of cash IF you could even find enough in one place, it doesnt happen
a psychiatrist told me once that lsd in small doeses works as an anti depressant. from my experience in high school, large doses make you happy too. after taking an lsd trip, staying up all night... the next day i was always happy and satisfied, even if i only got 2 hours sleep

Erm....

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_dose.shtml

Should drug addicts be paid to be sterilised?
Barbara Harris thinks they should. She's already started a campaign in America, now she's coming to the UK
Jenny Kleeman The Guardian, Saturday 12 June 2010

It's overcast in Possilpark, one of the most deprived areas of Glasgow. Outside the pound shops and bookmakers on the high street, Barbara Harris, founder of US charity Project Prevention, is giving out flyers. She hands one to James, a wiry man in his 20s. "I'm from a nonprofit organisation," she tells him. "If you know any drug addicts or alcoholics who could get pregnant, we will pay them £200 to be on long-term birth control."

"I'm a drug addict!" James declares. "You'd give me £200? But I'm a guy…"
"You can have a vasectomy," Harris replies, quick as a flash.
His eyes widen. "Two hundred pounds! You don't get the money today, though, do you?"
"No, you don't get the money until after. Do you know any women who are pregnant and using drugs around here?"
"There are hundreds of women like that around here." He gestures up the road. "Go to the health centre – that's where you'll see them." Harris leaves James studying the flyer. He's grinning, incredulous.

She asks to leave flyers at the NHS health centre reception, but the manager is out, so she's told she'll have to come back. She sticks a few in the railings outside, and props four or five in the soil of a nearby flowerbed. The flyers are hand-cut, on yellow card. There's a photo of a tiny newborn covered in tubes above the slogan, "Every baby deserves a sober start."

Harris doesn't think addicts should have children, and her charity is using cash incentives to make sure they don't. In the 12 years since Project Prevention launched in the US, she has paid 1,307 people $300 to be sterilised, and given money to many more in exchange for long-term contraception. In total, Harris has bought the fertility of more than 3,000 Americans with drug and alcohol problems – only 47 of them men. Now she's turning her attention to Britain.

"To me, it's about preventing child abuse," she says. "This is legal child abuse." Babies are being born in withdrawal, underweight, with serious medical problems, she says, and if they survive, they are destined to a bleak future. "What's the quality of life they're going to have? How many problems are they going to have? The cycle will keep repeating itself. But it's preventable. It's just common sense to me."

It isn't common sense to everyone, though. It feels profoundly unsettling to be walking around one of Britain's poorest districts with a woman who's promising people serious money in exchange for their fertility. As we leave the health centre, I think about how Harris's website says her mission is "to reduce the number of substance-exposed births to zero". If she managed to achieve that goal here, a lot of people in Possilpark wouldn't be able to have children.

In the US, Project Prevention has been compared to the Nazis' eugenics programme, but Harris isn't bothered by her critics. "They are willing to call me Hitler, but what are they doing to help? Are they willing to adopt any of these children that they think should continue to be born? If they're not part of the solution, they're part of the problem. Everybody talks about the right of the woman – what about the rights of the children? They are the victims."

etc...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/ ... alcoholics

Young cannabis smokers run risk of lower IQ, report claims
By Dominic Hughes, Health correspondent, BBC News

Young people who smoke cannabis run the risk of a significant and irreversible reduction in their IQ, research suggests.
The findings come from a study of around 1,000 people in New Zealand.
An international team found those who started using cannabis below the age of 18 - while their brains were still developing - suffered a drop in IQ.

A UK expert said the research might explain why people who use the drug often seem to under-achieve.
For more than 20 years researchers have followed the lives of a group of people from Dunedin in New Zealand.
They assessed them as children - before any of them had started using cannabis - and then re-interviewed them repeatedly, up to the age of 38.

Having taken into account other factors such as alcohol or tobacco dependency or other drug use, as well the number of years spent in education, they found that those who persistently used cannabis suffered a decline in their IQ.
The more that people smoked, the greater the loss in IQ.

The effect was most marked in those who started smoking cannabis as adolescents.
For example, researchers found that individuals who started using cannabis in adolescence and then carried on using it for years showed an average eight-point IQ decline.
Stopping or reducing cannabis use failed to fully restore the lost IQ.

The researchers, writing in the US journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, found that: "Persistent cannabis use over 20 years was associated with neuropsychological decline, and greater decline was evident for more persistent users."
"Collectively, these findings are consistent with speculation that cannabis use in adolescence, when the brain is undergoing critical development, may have neurotoxic effects."

One member of the team, Prof Terrie Moffitt of King's College London's Institute of Psychiatry, said this study could have a significant impact on our understanding of the dangers posed by cannabis use.
"This work took an amazing scientific effort. We followed almost 1,000 participants, we tested their mental abilities as kids before they ever tried cannabis, and we tested them again 25 years later after some participants became chronic users.
"Participants were frank about their substance abuse habits because they trust our confidentiality guarantee, and 96% of the original participants stuck with the study from 1972 to today.
"It is such a special study that I'm fairly confident that cannabis is safe for over-18 brains, but risky for under-18 brains."

Robin Murray, professor of psychiatric research, also at the King's College London Institute of Psychiatry but not involved in the study, said this was an impressive piece of research.
"The Dunedin sample is probably the most intensively studied cohort in the world and therefore the data are very good.
"Although one should never be convinced by a single study, I take the findings very seriously.
"There are a lot of clinical and educational anecdotal reports that cannabis users tend to be less successful in their educational achievement, marriages and occupations.

"It is of course part of folk-lore among young people that some heavy users of cannabis - my daughter callers them stoners - seem to gradually lose their abilities and end up achieving much less than one would have anticipated. This study provides one explanation as to why this might be the case.
"I suspect that the findings are true. If and when they are replicated then it will be very important and public education campaigns should be initiated to let people know the risks."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19372456

Depends on your definition of 'better' perhaps. I mean the world is a lot more interesting on acid - for a while. Until the horrors get you. First bad trip and if you've any sense you never go near the stuff again. And while it may sharpen 'focus' it destroys 'overview'.
Would that happen on a microdose?

If it has any effect at all, yes. Acid basically takes the safeguards off the mind - it can give you great joy or great horror. What we used to do was work ourself into a good safe positive frame of mind before dropping it - if something switches to negative you go equally - if not further - far that way. No doubt these folk are only thinking positive, but sooner or later something negative will happen when the stuff is in their system and then things will go from great to very bad quite quickly.

Depends on your definition of 'better' perhaps. I mean the world is a lot more interesting on acid - for a while. Until the horrors get you. First bad trip and if you've any sense you never go near the stuff again. And while it may sharpen 'focus' it destroys 'overview'.
We used to say there's no such thing as a bad trip, only a mad trip. LSD wise that is. I've no idea what kids are taking these days, neither have they to be honest.

Would that happen on a microdose?
We used to go with: It's better to take a whole trip than a micro dose .. because if you're mentally sitting on the fence, you have time to realise just how wasted you are and that's when the fear can set in as your controlling sensible side fights with your 'oh hell .. let's go with it' side.

If it has any effect at all, yes. Acid basically takes the safeguards off the mind - it can give you great joy or great horror. What we used to do was work ourself into a good safe positive frame of mind before dropping it - if something switches to negative you go equally - if not further - far that way. No doubt these folk are only thinking positive, but sooner or later something negative will happen when the stuff is in their system and then things will go from great to very bad quite quickly.
This true big time. Back in the day there anything like a microdose. It was either strong or outrageous. In the 70's you'd better be in a safe environment with folks you could trust when taking (say a sugar cube) because man acid pulled out all the stops.

Spanish driver tests positive for every drug in test
By Camille Bello • last updated: 14/08/2018

A driver in northeastern Spain has tested positive for ‘every possible kind of drug’ after being pulled over by police on Saturday.

Police found high levels of cannabis, amphetamines/methamphetamine, cocaine, opiates; as well as alcohol, with a rate of 0,60 mg/l.

Local police told Euronews that a neighbour in the town of Carcastillo called the police saying that "several people were getting in a vehicle influenced by alcoholic beverages."

The driver was fined 1000 euros and had six points deducted from his driver's license for failing the alcohol test, and another 1000 euros and six points for failing the drugs test.

The vehicle has now been impounded.

Additional pointless digression on varied European drug policies:
http://www.euronews.com/2018/08/14/spanish-driver-tests-positive-on-all-drugs
One suspects that she he doesn't yet realised the record she he has set... or what has happened... or what she he was doing in a car...

It's also somewhat surprising that you don't get an outright ban in such circumstances.

Last edited:
It's also somewhat surprising that you don't get an outright ban in such circumstances.

I expect she was being bullied into it by a man all along Yith, especially if she cried a bit at some point afterwards.

Back