• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Eggman—Including The Monster Of Glamis Castle

A

Anonymous

The Eggman

Can anyone verify the existence of the eggman?

It's a story a friend of mine at work says is true about a patient in some mental hospital in south wales. My friend's story goes that this person was born with no head - only a rounded lump on the top of his/her torso (no eyes, nose, mouth).

I have trouble with this story (not the least - how does s/he breathe or eat) but my friend claims it was well known in Wales.

Anyone got any extra info (or similar stories)?

The irony of a headless man in a mental hospital is quite a good yolk.

I used to get a stream of bizarre tales from nurses and hospital
workers, a lot of them grimly physical. The coca-cola bottle tale
can be told straight-faced by every camp porter in Christendom and
he will swear it happened in your very town!

More to the immediate point, some of the maddest tales can come
from psychiatric nurses. It's a stressful job, I guess, and like teachers,
policemen and the military, they see things that the rest of society
prefers not to think of.

In the nineteenth century, when hysteria was the catch-all word, the
Salpietre Hospital in Paris was a virtual exhibition of women performing
fakir-like feats.

I am a bit wary of spreading superstitious beliefs about psychiatric patients,
but two stories were told to me as having been witnessed by the teller.

One was a psychotic woman who would suckle an imaginary baby. She
could vocalize its cries along with her own reassurances. Alarmingly, the
baby was seen by members of staff but would disappear as they approached.

The other was a woman who produced an endless supply of paper flowers from
her mouth. Two dustbins full in a day, my informant said. Yet she was kept away
from paper and the flowers were made of a tissue paper that was unlike any
known to be on the premises. Shades of ectoplasm?

Probably such tales fulfil a need for the workers who tell them and serve to
emphasise the gulf between the world they know and the more comfortable
world we think we inhabit. :rolleyes:

I am the Eggman. I am the Walrus. Goog Goog ajoog.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'm sure I read a story somewhere about one of the Queen Mum's ancestors (Earl of Glamis or summat), who was a kind of huge, deformed, inbred, flabby egg, and wandered around the castle roof every night making bizarre howling noises. He also lived to about 140 or some daft age.

Erm... did I dream this?

ive heard that song will somebody plaese tell me or i will be up all night thinking about it:)

evilsprourt

ive heard the story some lady found out and had her own tongue cut off[hence the lady screaming ghost]
and apparently royal family members are told on the 18th birthdays
it has been shourded in secresy for about 200 years

cenobite said:
ive heard that song will somebody plaese tell me or i will be up all night thinking about it:)

I am the Walrus, The Beatles!

Evilsprout said:
one of the Queen Mum's ancestors was a kind of huge, deformed, inbred, flabby egg, and wandered around the castle roof every night making bizarre howling noises.

We'll need much more info to make an id, could be any of the buggers. This is the old favourite extra window/sealed room story.

(Assumes offensive Scottish accent)

The Earl of Glamis. Said to be the true Earl, having lived for hundreds of years, horribly disfigured. Or a vampire. Or having sold his soul to the Devil.

There's an intensely obscure British movie about the legend, from the 1930s. It's called 'The Maze'. In this one, the curse turns out to be a bloke who was born as a kind of giant frog. He lives for about 200 years, I think, then some daft bird screams at him and he dies. Oddly, it's played as a romantic weepy, like a 'whodunnit' version of the Elephant Man, with Mr Chalmondley-Warner accents...

Could the Egg-Man be a human variant of Mike, everybodies favorite headless chicken?

And before you ask, yes he has his own website: -

http://www.miketheheadlesschicken.org/

Bah, enough of this speculation - I want pictures of this fabled Egg-Man, PICTURES !!! :D

Originally posted by DanHigginbottom
[BThe Earl of Glamis. Said to be the true Earl, having lived for hundreds of years, horribly disfigured. Or a vampire. Or having sold his soul to the Devil.

Isn't the eldest son told the true story on his 21st b'day, then sworn to secrecy or summat?

Carole

Makes you wonder why, if it's told only to royal children on their 18th/21st birthdays, under sever secrecy, why we all know summat about it...

Evilsprout said:
I'm sure I read a story somewhere about one of the Queen Mum's ancestors (Earl of Glamis or summat), who was a kind of huge, deformed, inbred, flabby egg, and wandered around the castle roof every night making bizarre howling noises.

Last I heard, he'd had a great fall, and all the King's horses and all the King's men, were unable put him together again.

(I never could understand why horses were deemed suitable to attempt such a delicate, reconstructive operation).

Mirar.

Evilsprout said:
Makes you wonder why, if it's told only to royal children on their 18th/21st birthdays, under sever secrecy, why we all know summat about it...

This is indicative of a broken royal/peasant interface.
Just wait 'til Liz finds out about that Camilla woman that Charlie is boffing.

Now I come to think of it, there's a painting in Glamis of one of the Earls from a couple of hundred years back. The whole family are there, plus a strange dwarfish twisted figure. So it seems fairly likely that there's some vague basis in truth.

The eggman himself sounds an awful lot like David Lynch's abandoned children's (?) film, 'Ronnie Rocket', which was about a guy with no face who made music when plugged into the mains. Some kids found him and he joined their band.

Oddly enough, he found it hard to get financial support for the film and it was never made.

perhaps the song humpty dumpty came from glamis and i want to see picturrs of these paintings:D

Evilsprout said:
I am the Walrus, The Beatles!
Iknow this is a bit off track, but does anyone know what John Lennon was on about in this song, was it something to do with Alice in wonderland?

p.younger said:
Iknow this is a bit off track, but does anyone know what John Lennon was on about in this song, was it something to do with Alice in wonderland?

According to the wee booklet I got with the Beatles CD set, it was inspired by a police siren. :confused:

I suspect that if you leave the word 'about' out of the question, the question becomes more meaningful ;)

I think it was said (by JOhn) that the walrus was from "the walrus and the carpenter" poem (By lewis carroll i think). Lennon had confused the meaning of the poem since reading it as a kid and used the walrus as a metaphor for himself thinking it to be good, but messed up (apparently the walrus is pretty bad in the poem). Apparently in "I am the walris" the eggman was a friend of John's who had the bizarre habit of cracking eggs onto the stomachs of the women he slept with. Weird.:eek!!!!:

Pete, I'd imagine Lennons gargantuan appetite for hallucinogens probably had something to do with the lyric and concept of "I am the walrus" ;)

PS Oasis used do a stonking version of this live...

Sounds kind of like in Hot Shots.

But perhaps the Earl thing is caused by that due to all that inbreeding, the royals will probably have a higher percentage of mutants.

Xanatic said:
Sounds kind of like in Hot Shots.

But perhaps the Earl thing is caused by that due to all that inbreeding, the royals will probably have a higher percentage of mutants.

Like Queen Vic begetting a lot of Royal bleeders?

According to the song 'Glass Onion' on 'The Beatles' (or the 'White' album), the walrus was Paul.

[.daed si luaP]

Oh, and John Lennon and he were 'close as can be, man'.

Mirar.

While we ramble into Beatleland, what happened to that feature that FT were going to do on the Paul Is Dead stuff? It was advertised, then vanished without trace.

Rickard, Sieveking...they've got to you, haven't they? That sinister conspiracy, run by ex-members of Wings.

Didn't it eventually get tracked down to starting from a garbled report about one of the Dave Clarke Five (or someone) being slightly injured in a train accident around 1968?

Yeah I remember that... I was looking forward to it too :(

OK guys. Beatle trivia is my thing. In glass onion john sings "the walrus was paul" as a joke. i.e. people like us were being so anal and trying to analyse everything the man said that he thought this would be a bit of a laugh and throw us off scent, if you will.
The whole paul is dead thing at the end of "i am the walrus" is john saying "cranberry sauce" If you try saying it yourself it does sound similar to "i buried paul". If you listen to the song itself it is pretty clear that he is saying cranberry sauce. Why? God knows but it's fair to say that maybe several years of hallucinogen use that would put Shulgin to shame may account for lennons bizarre humour. In interviews paul has said that john did say cranberry sauce.
The whole paul is dead thing was set off after mccartney had a minor accident when quad biking on his farm and the rumour was put about that he had been decapitated and replaced by a double. Other "clues" include the floating hand above his head on the pepper cover (actually from one of the cutouts in the band) and the Mme tussauds wax figures of the beatles that makes them look like they are at a funeral.. The lack of shoes on the abbey road cover (dont know why this is evidence), and the 28IF reg of the car in shot on the cover. Suggesting paul would have been 28 if he was still alive.

The monster of Glamis castle

Not sure where to put this one (Crypto? Ghosts? Urban legends?) so ill put it here... (moderator please move if theres a better place for it)

This is from the Centre for Fortean Zoology's website, in an article on "man-beasts" (ie Sasquatch, Orang pendek, etc):
Glamis Castle in Angus, which apart from being the ancestral home of the Queen Mother is also the site for one of Scotland's best known mystery humanoids; the monster of Glamis Castle. He is supposed to have been the hideously deformed heir to the Bowes-Lyon family who was, according to popular rumour, born in about 1800, and died as recently as 1921. He is supposed to look like 'an enormous flabby egg', having no neck and only minute arms and legs (19). His physical shortcomings are made up for by his immense physical strength, and according to some accounts his propensity for evil. There is a family 'secret' concerning the monster, which is only told to the male heir of the Bowes-Lyon family when they attain majority. According to Peter Underwood, however: "The present Lord Strathmore knows nothing about the monster, presumably because the creature was dead when he reached his majority, but he always felt that there was a corpse or coffin bricked up behind the walls" (20).

Anyone else heard of this one? Would have been a typical short story subject for HP Lovecraft... also is the connection of Macbeth to Glamis Castle perhaps significant?

Yes, I've heard of this.

Not sure that I understand why you think a story about a severely disabled person should be put in cryptozoology/ghosts or ULs. Disabled people were often kept as the family secret - hidden away in the attic or back room.

I've read about it too: there are a couple of theories as to the horror.

One was the deformed heir - there's a portrait of one of the previous Earls of Strathmore hanging in the drawing room, accompanied by two young boys (presumably his heirs) and a very dis-proportioned small child. As Cursed pointed out, disabled or disfigured children were often hidden away so as not to break the impression to others of a "perfect" bloodline.

The other theory is that members of the Ogilvie clan, escaping a massacre, asked Strathmore for shelter, not realising that he was sympathetic to the opposing clans. Strathmore allegedly had them locked in a room and left to starve to death: the room, complete with decaying corpses and still (just) living Ogilvies was then bricked up.

That there's more rooms than doors was evidenced when a group of people at a party at Glamis (in the 1920s or 30s, I think) tied a ribbon to every window in every room they could find. When they went outside to look at the house, there were several windows without ribbons.

Glamis has lots of other ghosts, too - lots of sites have details, usually quite sketchy.

Stu

Back