• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Eggman—Including The Monster Of Glamis Castle

Re: HP Lovecraft Stories

Coppertop said:
Goldstein,
The first story (with the frog creature that escapes) is called "The Shuttered Room", and the second story, with the subterranean creatures, is called "The Lurking Fear".
Marvellous stuff, been reading them again recently!

I believe the second story is "The Rats in the Walls".

I'd often wondered why FT never did an examination of the whole 'Paul-is-Dead' phenomenon. Outside of Beatle literature, virtually the only other place (apart from brief asides on MST3K)I'd ever heard make any mention of the case was a feature on a sort of quasi-X-Files meets the music biz program that used to run weekend evenings on VH1. Sadly, I missed that episode, and it was never rerun, as the show was pulled from the schedule after it's first (and only) season. Hmmm. Perhaps they were got to! they were getting too close to the truth! that must be it! damn you, Denny Laine! Damn you!

I'd heard that Anne Boleyn had an extra finger....

She's also supposed to have had three breasts.
The Shuttered Room - i have tried for years to remember the name and author of that story. Thanks for that.
Does anyone know the author of a story called Negotium Perambulans - set in Cornwall regarding a huge 'slug' like monster?

When I was younger I visited Glamis Castle a few times with my parents and younger brother (as well as many other places like that), and the idea that there was a hidden room with a horrible deformed relation who lived to a great age always fascinated me, for some reason ;) These days when I'm going sightseeing I'll specifically try and find out any things of Fortean note before going.

I can't remember where, but while looking for images of alien human hybrids I stumbled into the most disgusting website, with loads of deformed human foetuses. One of them had the egg like shape, with short legs and arms, but it was called, iirc, "grenade shaped baby". Now, I wonder what are the chances for something like that to survive to a very old age.

can anybody find a photo of this painting on the net?
I tried googling but to no avail.

Lauren Churchill said:
can anybody find a photo of this painting on the net?
I tried googling but to no avail.

I was about to ask the same thing. I would really like to see the painting. By the way, this whole Glamis thing has been mentioned in this thread here:

link disabled, because....

Maybe it would be a good idea if the moderators can merge both thread together.

And so we did :) - stu

Glamis Castle

Anyone ever been to that place? Whats it like? Read about all these hidden rooms it has and when you count the windows on the outside, you don't get the same amount of rooms on the inside or something like that.

Anyone know anything about this Glamis monster who was supposed to be deformed and was locked in a hidden room? In Peter Underwood's A-Z of British Ghosts he is described as "an enormous flabby egg. Wonder how he found out?

The moster was supposed to be the true earl as well and apparently people who found secret passages or anything else weird were paid and sent off to Australia.

Supposed to be other Hauntings though like a grey lady, small ghost boy servant and ghost supposed to be ina suit of armour.

http://www.castleofspirits.com/glamis2.html

http://www.castleofspirits.com/glamis.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_of_Glamis

I know Glamis really well , and have to say it is a genuinely creepy place .
The deformed creature was supposed to be one of the earls' sons , and livde to a great age (some say he died in the 1920s , and would have been aged around 150-200 years old , but nobody knows any of this for certain) . Apparently he lived in a secret chamber , which was chanced upon by workmen in the 1920s (the then earl pensioned both of them off to Australia under the proviso they never discuss the matter) . One group of curious locals went searching for the secret room - when the earl was away , they broke into the castle and hung a pillow case out of every window in order to find the room , but the earl came back and caught them before the job was complete . I'm at work now , but when I go home I'll check my references and post more details (names , dates etc)

Cool, look forward to your details about how the earl caught the fellas who broke in.

Some scary stuff about the Eggman (the Queen's relation) of Glamis Castle Here

Now merged in - stu

Heckler20 said:
Some scary stuff about the Eggman (the Queen's relation) of Glamis Castle Here

A post off there I agree with.

Makes you wonder why, if it's told only to royal children on their 18th/21st birthdays, under sever secrecy, why we all know summat about it...

How would normal people know this if only royal children are supposed to know and have to keep it to themselves. :?

Couple of historical things:

1. Humpty Dumpty was a 15/16th century description of somebody very fat. But the one in the nursery rhyme is an English Civil War Canon that was knocked from the wall of a town (I think it was Colchester) hence the all the kings horses and all the kings men could put the canon back together againbecause it was too heavy for them to move.

2. Lots of old castles and houses have more windows from the outside, it's caused by successive lords having the internalstructure of the building remodelled to the latest designs, but not wanting to spoil the symetry of the building from the outside they end up with extra bits,I thinks it's Longleat that has an entire clock tower hidden like this.[/code]

more info for ya

(merged - stu)

Where?

Glamis castle could also be in the ghosts part though since it has stories of hauntings too. ;)

MaxMolyneux said:
more info for ya

(merged - stu)

Where?
Part of this thread now, as I've merged them all in together.
MaxMolyneux said:
Glamis castle could also be in the ghosts part though since it has stories of hauntings too. ;)
It could, yes - there are a few topics that walk a line between two fora: as the predominant topic in this thread is the "Horror" of Glamis, which isn't supposed to be ghostly per se, it's in folklore.

Glamis secret room...

my g-g-aunt was invited to a party at Glamis (long ago) and conspired with other guests to locate the secret room by hanging towels out their windows.

The lord at the time was furious, and wrote them formal "disinvites". Sadly, this letter has been lost :(

i remember reading about that in one of Peter Underwood's books. at the party the laird's wife and friends tried to find out about the room, and when the laird heard about this he divorced the poor woman. if the story about the 'monster' is not true then it seems like a rather harsh way of reacting. unless there was something he was trying to conceal that was not related to deformed relatives.

i think the method they applied was to hang towels out of the windows and then when they stood outside they saw several windows without towels in them, which is not surprising and not very conclusive esp. in a building of that age and complexity. still an intriguing legend tho.

A nice account on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_of_Glamis

Which seems to argue for the Monster's existance:
Whether the life of the "Monster" is fact or myth is hard to determine. What follows is based on various reports.

The alleged "monster" of Glamis was Thomas Lyon-Bowes, rightful Lord Glamis, first child of George Bowes-Lyon and Charlotte Grimstead, later the Dowager Lady Glamis. They were the great-great-grandparents of Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, who became queen in 1936. Thomas was recorded in Robert Douglas's Peerage of Scotland as "born and died, October 21, 1821".

The legend of his survival appears to have started in local villages as the result of an account by the midwife (whose name has not been recorded). The deformed child was alleged to have been in rude health when the midwife left, causing suspicion when his death was announced a day or two later. The child Thomas has no gravestone, a matter which tends to support the initial rumours. (Thomas had been baptised as a Christian on birth.)

He was said to have been nursed through infancy in secret and later confined in one of Glamis Castle's many (and several are known) secret rooms. This part of the story of Thomas did not become current until the 1960s, when family accounts were first published.

The entrance to his chamber, which is recounted as measuring 10ft by 15ft, was off the chapel. There is no known account of how the room was accessible, but presumably it would have been through a removable panel or some such as there is no visible entrance from the chapel. In 1969, the Queen Mother's biographer Michael Thornton visited Glamis and was told by the sixteenth Earl that the entrance had been bricked up after Thomas's death.

The details of Thomas's appearance -- "His chest an enormous barrel, hairy as a doormat, his head ran straight into his shoulders and his arms and legs were toylike" -- come from James Wentworth-Day's The Queen Mother's Family Story. They are attributed to "a member of the Queen Mother's family". Wentworth-Day's account is the first in which the information was gathered direct from members of the Queen mother's family, even though they were understandably reluctant to be named. It is suspected that on several occasions, the Queen Mother herself was the source. In Peter Underwood's A-Z of British Ghosts he is described as "an enormous flabby egg".

Thomas was fed daily through an iron grille in his cell door by one trusted servant. It is not believed that Thomas ever left this cell, but some associated rumours claim that he was occasionally exercised by being taken for a walk, like a dog, on the battlements on moonless nights. The castle has a section named Mad Earl's Walk to this day.

Wentworth-Day describes a tale whereby a workman carrying out renovation at Glamis in the early 1900s found the secret passage, and explored it, and became "alarmed" at what he found there. The Earl and his lawyer were summoned from London, and they stopped the work and interrogated the man. The result of this was that he was bribed into silence and emigration (to Australia) with several hundred thousand pounds of hush money, an enormous sum for those days.

Also from Wentworth-Day comes the story of the Queen Mother's mother, the Countess of Strathmore, trying to get the Glamis factor Andrew Ralston to tell her the truth about the family secret. He told her "it is fortunate you do not know the truth for if you did you would never be happy". Only the Earl and his heir were ever fully in the know, told the secret - as they should know they were not the rightful inheritor of the title - on his 21st birthday. Once the "monster" had died, the heir was given a choice as to whether he wanted to know or not, there no longer being a reason why he must be told and to save him distress.

It is claimed that the workman event happened in the 1870s. This would indicate that Thomas was in his fifties at the time. The circumstances and date of his death are unknown. Thomas's mother, Charlotte Grimstead, died in 1881. In another event, guests at the castle, upon hearing rumours of the monster, decided to hang a piece of rag from every window in the castle that they could access. Upon surveying their work, they found a number of windows ragless, and therefore termed them secret rooms. Unfortunately, the Earl returned and discovered their experiment and threw them from the grounds.

Embellishments to the story include descriptions of the "monster" being evil and still being alive or having lived for over a hundred years.

A second son, Thomas George, was born on September 28, 1822 without deformity and eventually became the 12th Earl of Strathmore.

It is known that in the 20th century, members of the Bowes-Lyon family were alleged to have died but were in fact confined to mental hospitals. If the story is a legend, it could have been inspired by this fact.

What was the account the family published? And has the secret passage found by the worker I bolded been found in fact?

OK, vague memory here I'm afraid, but I once read a book that included the Glamis mysteries and it featured a painting from the 18th or 19th Century that looked like a typical scene, noblemen posing in armour, but when you looked closer at one of them if his breastplate fitted his chest then he was alarmingly deformed. Anyone have any recollection of this?

gncxx said:
OK, vague memory here I'm afraid, but I once read a book that included the Glamis mysteries and it featured a painting from the 18th or 19th Century that looked like a typical scene, noblemen posing in armour, but when you looked closer at one of them if his breastplate fitted his chest then he was alarmingly deformed. Anyone have any recollection of this?
Yes - I think it's the portrait of the 3rd Earl of Strathmore and Kinghome - it's got a white dog in the lower left hand corner and two other figures in it, a child and the oddly proportioned chap - that the one you're thinking of? It was in the Orbis book "Mysteries of the Afterlife", my copy long since lost :(.

Tried googling for it, no joy. Anyone else got it in a book, or somewhere else scannable?

Is it this one?

MA-P-122_t.jpg

Thanks Stu, that could be it. No Heckler, that's not the one, I think he was wearing a suit of armour of some kind. Thanks anyway.

DanHigginbottom~ said:
"There's an intensely obscure British movie about the legend, from the 1930s. It's called 'The Maze'. In this one, the curse turns out to be a bloke who was born as a kind of giant frog. He lives for about 200 years, I think, then some daft bird screams at him and he dies. Oddly, it's played as a romantic weepy, like a 'whodunnit' version of the Elephant Man, with Mr Chalmondley-Warner accents..."

Dan, I think you're a little off on the date. This was an early 1950s film (I want to say 1953), starring Richard Carlson as the romantic lead and originally released in 3-D. I saw it on television a decade or so later, in plain old 2-D.

It was based on a 1945 novel. I can't remember the author's name, but it was illustrated with line drawings by Salvator Dali.

Mirar~ said:
"(I never could understand why horses were deemed suitable to attempt such a delicate, reconstructive operation)."

The "King's Men" refers to infantry, the "King's Horses" to cavalry units.

(Why does it take a frontier Colonial to answer these things?)

The Thing~ said:
"A workman found a passage in the 1920's while renovating the chapel. (This is where most people expect the monster to live.) He claimed to have sighted a monster at one end of it, all chained up . The encounter unhinged him a bit. The Earl then did not want the man to tell anyone what he had seen so he had him and his family deported to Australia.

This story was in circulation before the 1920s and seems to date from no later than the 1880s. In the version I know, the worker broke through a wall in or near the chapel and discovered himself inside a secret chamber. I've seen no previous mention of him seeing a "chained monster." Lord Strathmore was notified and he took the fastest express train home from London, swore the worker to silence and offered him a very large sum of money if he would take his entire family and move permanently to Australia. But "deported" is rather too strong a word, especially since Lord Stranthmore would have had absolutely no legal authority to carry out such an act against a law-abiding British citizen.

stuneville said:
"That there's more rooms than doors was evidenced when a group of people at a party at Glamis (in the 1920s or 30s, I think) tied a ribbon to every window in every room they could find. When they went outside to look at the house, there were several windows without ribbons."

Alas, I first came across this story in a mid-19th century magazine article about Glamis. Only in that version it was towels and bedsheets rather than ribbons. And it was described as having taken place in the past, perhaps so long ago as the 18th Century.

Also, in that telling the Lord Strathmore of that day came home unexpecredly, realized what was going on, booted out the party guests and divorced his wife.

Real spoilsport, that one.

Back