• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Eggman—Including The Monster Of Glamis Castle

James - any idea what hospital the women with the disappearing baby is/was at?

I had clean forgotten those stories. Now they have come back to haunt me. 2001 is a long way back.

A lot of medical horror stories used to come from close family members who have worked in hospitals, care-homes etc. They have not done much psychiatric nursing beyond the geriatric ward stuff.

I think any psychiatric ward tales would have come from acquaintances in Manchester at that period. Some may have been reminiscing about things they had witnessed on the wards at a time when Care-in-the-Community was the excuse for shutting many facilities. The places most talked about were Prestwich Hospital, the North Manchester General complex and Rainhill which is (or was) in the Wigan area.

I wish I had written more of these stories down but even then, as the last paragraph makes clear, I took them with a pinch of salt. Not the products of liars but part of the way people cope with a daily reality most of us never see. :confused:

I had clean forgotten those stories. Now they have come back to haunt me. 2001 is a long way back.

A lot of medical horror stories used to come from close family members who have worked in hospitals, care-homes etc. They have not done much psychiatric nursing beyond the geriatric ward stuff.

I think any psychiatric ward tales would have come from acquaintances in Manchester at that period. Some may have been reminiscing about things they had witnessed on the wards at a time when Care-in-the-Community was the excuse for shutting many facilities. The places most talked about were Prestwich Hospital, the North Manchester General complex and Rainhill which is (or was) in the Wigan area.

I wish I had written more of these stories down but even then, as the last paragraph makes clear, I took them with a pinch of salt. Not the products of liars but part of the way people cope with a daily reality most of us never see. :confused:

thanks James, much appreciated. I wonder though as you say psych nurses see a lot of weird sh*t in the job.

I'd go with the idea that they see strange things (but not supernatural) and have to work them out. I've known three psychiatric nurses, only one of them was given to relating stories about their job, but like many doctors, they all used to drink. A lot.

A quote strikes me in the Smithsonian article : "His information was that Earl Claude’s heir noted the terrible change that came over his father after he was told the family secret, and declined to be initiated himself".

At the same time, isn't it said that the heirs were told the secret on the day of their 21st birthday ? Which means that when they were told "the secret", their sons would still have been babies or not yet born. How could they possibly remember the "terrible change" in their father's character ?

If I trust wikipedia, the 12th earl (Thomas) was born in 1801, the 13th earl (Claude) was born in 1824 and the 14th (Claude) in 1855. So neither the first Claude nor the second were born when their father got to his 21st birthday.

Back