• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'The Entity': Real Or Hoax?

MrRING

Android Futureman
The Barbra Hershy film and the book version of "The Entity", the sexually assaulting invisible creature - is this considered a real occurance? Has anybody besides the author of the book the film was based on ever contacted the victim in the case?

Here is a link about the case that I found interesting:

maxpages.com/mapit/THE_ENTITY_CASE
Link is dead. No archived version available.

It's definately presenting it as the real deal. Anybody out there shed a little light, y'know?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that the same as a night hag? Those are meant to be real. Scary thought.

I don't think it was supposed to be a night hag, in that rather than the attacks happening at night and involving strangulation or breathlessness, it was more of a accosting by an invisible man-creature that manifested some varied light phenomenon that could happen any time of the day or night.

So to me, at least, they would seem to be different things, or different kinds of creatures at least.

Found a site with the two controversial pix of the Entity, about halfway down the page.

geocities.com/inhell_2000/entity.html
Link is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20090216005015/http://www.geocities.com/inhell_2000/entity.html

Here are the two photos posted in the MIA article:

entity1.gif

entity2.gif

(SALVAGED FROM THE WAYBACK MACHINE)

Incubus...Had one once....He was no good.

Where do I get a better one? It would be more convenient than a real man

Homo Aves said:
Incubus...Had one once....He was no good.

Where do I get a better one? It would be more convenient than a real man
This one was a rapist, though, and I think he occassionally brought friends. What you need is the seductive variety. Real paperback quality, menacing but in a hot way.

This one had dry, leathery skin and I rather suspect he was a minor, (or conversely, `extreemely` old)

He was a success, that is, if you base sexual success on your ability to make someone fall out of bed...

(which is strange, but not as strange as the habits of some men I know...)

Hmm, well, Barbara Hershey... can you blame it? If I were non-corporeal and trapped between dimensions...well I wouldn't, but SOME would.

Somewhere* on this MB there is a thread about the Entity case.

*unless it's been deleted of course.

Homo Aves said:
This one had dry, leathery skin and I rather suspect he was a minor, (or conversely, `extreemely` old)

He was a success, that is, if you base sexual success on your ability to make someone fall out of bed...

(which is strange, but not as strange as the habits of some men I know...)
I would really like to hear more about this, Hove Aves. Have you posted it somewhere else or would you mind going into more detail? How did it start, how did it stop, etc.

<Blushes and looks around suspiciously>

I honestly cant remember any more, it was a good few years ago.

And as for the other men, my advice to you is, if you are going to do it on a yacht, make sure it is in a quiet berth or is of sufficient size not to be affected by tremours from within...

TulipTree:"What you need is the seductive variety. Real paperback quality, menacing but in a hot way."

I suspect they are like buses.... nothing for ages and then......

Kath

Homo Aves said:
<Blushes and looks around suspiciously>

I honestly cant remember any more, it was a good few years ago.
:rofl:
I knew my question would be too intrusive given the nature of the haunting. I had to try, though.

Hmmm... buses and yachts. I think I'm going to borrow your's and Kath's analogies when I start writing for Harlequin Romance.

I saw an interview with Kerry Gaynor who investigated the case a while ago. He was saying that the pictures shown on that website show the streaks of light being "floating" as they don't follow the contours of the walls where thay abut at the corners. Apparently the pictures were taken with a polaroid camera.

Dunno if anyone can shed any, ahem, light on this...

Oh snap, I just edited this because I found the motherload -
THE INVESTIGATING PARAPYCHOLOGIST'S REPORT OF WHAT REALLY HAPPENED
Link is long dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20080526064346/http://www.worldoftheunknown.com/entity.html

Read that first, then check out the pix lin for two photos:

THE FAMOUS PHOTOGRAPHS OF THE ENTITY
Link is dead. No archived version available.

And this other discussion, mainly for first-hand reports of similar activities...
INTERESTING DISCUSSION OF THE CASE
Link is dead. The MIA forum thread's first page can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20050206011522/http://forums.theideaweb.com/t4061/s.html

Check out his current conclusions about what happened, from the 4th page of the article:

The passage of time can have dramatic and sobering effects on one?s interpretation of reality, especially when it pertains to an area of science that lacks
voluminous amounts of hard, replicable data, like parapsychology.

More than thirty years of investigative research into some 3,500 cases of ghosts, hauntings, apparitions and poltergeists has significantly altered my
attitudes, perspective and belief system. Very distinctive longitudinal patterns have emerged, reinforcing existing theories regarding this type of
phenomenon. And while revisionist history does not generally lend further credence or substantiation to any event, in this particular case, time-acquired
knowledge and experience has provided a unique viewpoint that was otherwise unobtainable. The result is a reinterpretation of events from a quarter century
ago.

In the simplest terms and contrary to the popular media hype, The Entity case was not, in my opinion, an instance of haunting or discarnate intelligence, but
one of extreme RSPK, that is, a poltergeist manifestation.

In this regard, it was apparent from the outset that Doris was a deeply troubled woman whose claims of spectral rape were due in large part to extreme
emotional distress coupled with an overactive imagination and libidinous fantasies.

The fact that the phenomena moved with Doris as she moved, first from Culver City to Carson, then to San Bernardino, then all the way to Texas, and then
back to San Bernardino, strongly suggests that the phenomena was a direct product of her tortured unconscious mind and not of her environment. In fact,
once she moved from her original residence in Culver City at the end of 1974, the house was forevermore free of phenomena.

In an even stranger twist to an already mind-boggling case, while in San Bernardino, Doris claimed that she had gotten pregnant from The Entity.
However, medical results were more consistent with an ectoptic or hysterical pregnancy (no fetus). Once again, leaving us scratching our heads for answers.
Understandably given the circumstances, Doris believed that The Entity would eventually kill her.

Now back to what we believe to be reality. Lending further support to the poltergeist hypothesis was the fact when Doris moved into her new residence in
Carson, the tenants of the houses flanking her immediately began experiencing violent outbreaks of poltergeist activity (even though the neighbors had no
knowledge of her identity or experiences as we kept her away from the media), indicating that this phenomenon was perhaps radiant in nature with a
proximity effect to it.

After investigating thousands of poltergeist cases over the subsequent twenty-eight years, data has clearly indicated that this type of phenomena moves
with the agent over time and does not appear to have any lasting or residual effects on the house or apartment once the agent leaves. When the suspected
poltergeist agent takes up residence in a new abode, psychokinetic storms follow shortly after the PGAs are acclimated to their new environment.

However, even accepting the substantial evidence in favor of the psychokinetic origin of The Entity case, does not account for the inexplicable 35 mm.
photographs recorded during the course of the investigation, which after detailed analysis by the West Coast Editor of Popular Photography and others
were left wanting for answers.

The last and perhaps most compelling psychodynamic indicator of the case?s RSPK underpinnings is Doris? claim of being repeatedly attacked by three male
entities (two allegedly held her down while the third raped her). It is no coincidence that at the time she was living in a highly volatile relationship with three
male children. It does not take a great leap of logic to understand the obvious conflict ridden environment that spawned this incestuous hallucinatory
projection, especially given Doris? incredibly abusive past at the hands of both her parents and numerous men.

In this case, the circumstantial evidence appears to speak for itself. But, what if we are wrong? What if there really are discarnate entities that prey on weak
and emotionally troubled individuals? What if ancient mythology regarding the incubus and succubus are more than just legend, superstition and religious
hysteria? Are we so cock-fired sure of ourselves and our neonatal paranormal science that such a definitive statement is possible?

Given that the discipline of parapsychology (or more precisely, psychical research) is but an embryonic science (albeit after 120 years), we are all in the
position of the three blind men touching different parts of an elephant trying to determine the nature of the beast. One touches the tail and thinks it?s a
rope, the other touches a leg and believes it to be a tree trunk, while the third blind man touches the elephant?s trunk and is positive it?s a hose. Might we
not be in exactly the same situation here? At this time, due to the lack of any developed paranormal technology, all we are able to do is speculate and
theorize about the true nature of the phenomena based on fleeting encounters with its multi-faceted components. In reality there is little, if any, hard
evidence pointing to a credible, objective description of this phenomenon.

Coming back to the human part of the equation, the last I heard from Doris was in February of 1983, approximately when The Entity was released. She said
that to her great relief, the phenomena had ended quite some time ago. Not long afterwards, I again lost contact with her. The last Frank De Felitta heard
from her was in late 1990. So, at present, we do not know where she is, or even if she is?

Invisible Masters

Just found an incredible Wikipedia article about the "Invisible Masters" phenomenon that links the Entity to other cases...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_Master
Link is long dead; article deleted from Wikipedia.
The quoted passages below are only a portion of the total text content of the MIA article.

Victims of Invisible Masters claim to have been sexually assaulted by a shadowy humanoid figure that was nearly always unseen by anyone else, leading a few writers on the subject to make comparisons with the Smurl haunting and the description of the attacks on Carla Moran that were portrayed in the movie, "The Entity". In general, however, the victim's descriptions of their experiences are nowhere near as violent as those two well-publicized hauntings, and are nearly always related from the re-discovery of repressed memories from the victims teenage years.

The mythology of the Invisible Masters often compares them to demonic possession but they are equally as much an example of a haunting, in that the “entity” is described as obsessed with haunting the victim rather than possessing them. In most of the claims when there have been attempts at exorcisms these have usually only resulted in the Invisible Master's mockery or dismissal of the attempt. There has been debate among believers in this phenomenon whether the entity should really be classified as demonic because many victims claim that the Invisible Master was often protective of them when they were threatened by other people, or when they faced real physical danger.

Claimants of sexual assault by Invisible Masters don't always attempt to explain the phenomenon, but some begin independent research into finding confirming evidence of what happened to them, and explain the lack of greater awareness of the Invisible Masters as the result the entities' abilities in mind-control and reality-shaping. Most will also point to the ease with which people dismiss odd behavior by teenagers. Others claim that there are active attempts at an extraterrestrial or governmental cover-up or a the influence of the Invisible Masters themselves making certain the no organised group admits to their existence.

And there is much more availible on the article.

The full content of the MIA article (unformatted, and somewhat messy) can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20051215000000/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_Master

Great stuff - its interesting it is tied in with recovered memories. One wonders how much this is built on some kind of incubus SP incident?

Reading now.....

This thread is all I can find on this "Invisible Master" outside of Wikipedia. It was started by one "Judy Vero" on December 11th last year.

She says
I learned this afternoon that in Japan they call these things "Meimeinaitaiko" (invisible drum - because of the noise that is made from the ceiling under the girl's bedroom...think about it) or sometimes "Meinaitaiko", and also "Meinaishujin". They seem to be an international phenomenon but almost nobody talks about them.
However, the only mention I can find of the Japanese Meinaishujin is also in a wiki article (here) or copies of it and I can find no mention on the internet of the synonymous "Meimeinaitaiko" and "Meinaitaiko". And she doesn't say where she "learned this afternoon" of that creature. I'd be curious to know especially because I have an interest in Japanese spooks (I have never come across any of those three names).

All other references to an incubis-like "invisible master" are in wikipedia articles (having to do with faeries and demons, etc.) and so I suspect "Judy Vero" and/or one of her frieinds (perhaps from that same MB) are the ones editing the term into the wikipedia pages. She did link to that IM-wiki article (which she also claimed to have found "this afternoon") on that thread.

In the wiki article it says the victims are "always" female and the IM "always" male but how do they know that if so few victims come forward?

Mighty_Emperor said:
Great stuff - its interesting it is tied in with recovered memories. One wonders how much this is built on some kind of incubus SP incident?

Reading now.....
is an incubus a demon.

megadeth16 said:
Mighty_Emperor said:

Reading now.....
is an incubus a demon.

A medieval male demon that has sex with it's victims.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incubus_%28demon%29

Incubus is also a film starring William Shatner filmed entirely in Esperanto....

Bannik said:
This thread is all I can find on this "Invisible Master" outside of Wikipedia. It was started by one "Judy Vero" on December 11th last year.

All other references to an incubis-like "invisible master" are in wikipedia articles (having to do with faeries and demons, etc.) and so I suspect "Judy Vero" and/or one of her frieinds (perhaps from that same MB) are the ones editing the term into the wikipedia pages.

I came to the same conclusion, after searching for a while. If anyone has links to Invisible Master claims other than the wikipedia pages or the Judy Vero posting could they post them.

THIS SITE (a collection of first hand accounts of some sort) certainly seems to link the Invisible Master to Night Hag phenomenon... but I've not found another mention of it, either.

I learned this afternoon that in Japan they call these things "Meimeinaitaiko" (invisible drum

The explanation that's given aside, if that's accurate it might actually tie in with the knocking noises that are frequently heard during SP or other sleep disturbances...

I learned this afternoon that in Japan they call these things "Meimeinaitaiko" (invisible drum - because of the noise that is made from the ceiling under the girl's bedroom...think about it) or sometimes "Meinaitaiko", and also "Meinaishujin".
Or maybe it's really an example of Tanuki-Bayashi:
...(literally "badger-dog accompaniment"). In this case, in the dead of night, a lone person suddenly hears the sound of festival drums. But the drums sound a little odd, and the sound seems to have come out of nowhere and its direction is hard to pinpoint. Surprised, the hearer tries to get a fix on the sound, but it fades away. There is no festival or any other occasion for drumming anywhere nearby. What is going on? According to Japanese lore, the drumming is that of an animal trickster known as a tanuki. A tanuki is a real animal, which is closely related to dogs although it looks something like a raccoon or badger. In the popular imagination, tanuki have large bellies. Furthermore, they are often depicted as males with huge scrotums. Indeed, children in Japan today are likely to be able to sing a one-verse song ditty that goes: Tan, tan, tanuki no kintama wa; kaze ni fukarete bura bura (features onomatopoeia, but, roughly: "The tanuki's balls are blown back and forth by the wind"). Anyway, the eerie sound of mysterious drumming at night was thought to be the result of one or more tanuki drumming on their bellies or (ouch) scrotums.

The whole Meinaitaiko/Meinaishujin might make more sense if it had been written correctly.

Try - Mienaitaiko and Mienaishujin. My best guess for the "Meimeinaitaiko" is Menimienaitaiko. But none of these mean anything supernatural. Seriously.

Menimienaitaiko/mienaitaiko means something close to "beating a dead horse", or being very dedicated to one single thing, and repeating it over and over.

Mienaishujin is a husband who just comes home to have sex with his wife or sleep - He`s invisible to the rest of the world because he`s never home when other people would see him.

Neither of these are listed in ANY of the Japanese books on the supernatural I have, and I have never heard of them. None of my family has ever heard of them, even superstitious grandmother in the mountains.

I am inclined to believe that someone misinterpreted along the line, which is supported by the fact that "Meinai" means NOTHING in Japanese, while "Mienai" does.

The Entity

True or false? Saw the film for first time last night. Pretty good (except for the rubber suit worn whilst boobs were spiritually fondled).

Anyway, it suggsted that it's a true story, but I'd never really heard of it before. Anyone clued up on the case?

IIRC, it's based on a novel. again supposedly based on a true story. It was a latetish entry into the string of demonic/supernatural films that followed on from the Exorcist via The Omen, Amityville Horror etc

Back