• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Ernest Hemingway Look-Alike Contest (Key West)

kamalktk

Antediluvian
Hemingway has won the Hemingway lookalike competition. Better than coming in third I suppose.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...lookalike-contest_us_579638e4e4b02d5d5ed2440a

there's a picture of him in the article.
---------------------
  • David Moye Reporter, The Huffington Post
    X
    The 36th Annual Ernest “Papa” Hemingway Look-Alike Contest ended in a way that can only be described as novel.

For the first time ever, the winning “Papa” wannabe was actually a real Hemingway.

Dave Hemingway of Macon, North Carolina, beat out 139 competitors to win the contest in Key West, Florida, on Saturday night, according to the Florida Sun Sentinel.

The 65-year-old isn’t related to Ernest Hemingway and he doesn’t write, but he shares other traits with the legendary artist besides his beard and last name.

“I do feel like Ernest because I’m in the same town that he lived in for so many years,” he said, CBS Miami reported. “I like to fish, I like to drink a little bit, I like women and I just like having a good fun time.”

While it’s the first time a man named Hemingway has won the contest, it’s not Dave Hemingway’s first time in the competition. He’s competed seven times before.

He believes he won this year not because of his name, but because of his sweater: a wool, cream-colored fisherman’s sweater like the kind favored by the writer himself.

“Even though this sweater is really hot, it was part of my strategy,” he said, according to the New York Daily News. “And I think it worked really well.”

The look-alike contest is a part of the annual Hemingway Days festival that celebrates the author’s legacy, including his time in Key West during the 1930s.

The event is held at Sloppy Joe’s Bar, where the author frequently drank, according to the Sun Sentinel.

This reminded me of when Charlie Chaplin came in second in a Charlie Chaplin lookalike comp, unless thats a myth

From a previous year. The after-show party is starting to warm up . . .

hemingwayskissing.jpg

Is that an Abercrombie & Fitch in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me? :oops:

The 2020 Hemingway lookalike contest is cancelled.
Key West to skip Hemingway Look-Alike Contest this year

The coronavirus pandemic has forced the cancellation of the 40th annual Ernest Hemingway Look-Alike Contest in Key West, organizers announced Thursday.

The three-night competition, which had been scheduled for July 23-25, typically attracts more than 100 burly, bearded contestants from U.S. and international locales to Sloppy Joe’s Bar, but organizers were concerned about staging the contest amid packed crowds. Besides the throngs of spectators, most contestants are between 60 and 80 years old, presenting a potentially risky situation since that age group is especially susceptible to COVID-19, organizers said. ...

The Florida Keys have been closed to visitors since March 22 and are not expected to reopen in May, Keys officials said.
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/b0f1e43467345c75435a55586f73020d

Depends at what stage of his life, of course. Early on he looked very distinctive, but for his later years frankly any craggy, beardy old bloke stands a chance.

For the very very end, Kurt Cobain stands a great chance.

He also lived quite a life. We should all be so lucky.

Depends at what stage of his life, of course. Early on he looked very distinctive, but for his later years frankly any craggy, beardy old bloke stands a chance.

For the very very end, Kurt Cobain stands a great chance.
And if they don't win there's other opportunities as Kenny Rogers, or Captain Birdseye look-a-likies....

Back