• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Estes Method

Mr. Banooka

Abominable Snowman
I was wondering what other people thought about the Estes Method that is seeing some popularity in Ghost Hunting circles. I couldn't find anything searching so thought I would start a thread.

Estes Method

I have seen it used specifically on Spirits of the Stanley and Hellier 1 & 2, and have been quite taken aback by this results; assuming of course that they have not been faked.

Astonishing Legends had an interesting discussion with Connor J Randall, one of the pioneers of the method.

Astonishing Legends Episode 162 - Estes Method with Connor J Randall

I genuinely found it quite fascinating.

Mark ;0)

The Estes Method is used extensively in season two of Hellier (again with Connor Randall), which is the first place I encountered it. I found it interesting, and if an inexpensive rig becomes available would consider experimenting with it myself.

So let me get this right. You buy a list of technology from these people. Then you sit with your eyes covered and the headphones on so you can't hear what's going on round you. And then the box scans through all the local radio stations and gives you little blips from each one. And from the words that you pick out, that's spirits sending you messages. Because they're manipulating the technology.

This does rather rely on an assumption that... well quite a lot of assumptions really - that there are such things as spirits, that they're conscious and interested enough to know you might like a message, that they can manipulate something that picks up radio stations (but not enough to actually be able to give you a 100% coherent message though, a shame). I have to say, that's a lot of assumptions. A cynic might wonder if the person making these boxes would be quite pleased if a lot of people went along with them though. They'd make more money that way.

Or, I suppose one could argue that it's a way of getting your brain nice and relaxed and receptive (they mention the Ganzfeld effect on that page) and then like a medium or a fortune teller, you are picking up Vibes which somehow tell you about whatever is haunting the place where you are. And your brain pulls things out of the random noise that are relevant to that. I guess I'd be more inclined to go for that. Although really that's quite a push as well.

But unless you transport your "receiver" to the site without them knowing where they're going, or anything about the place in advance, or being able to see what's round them at any time when they get there - how can you be sure that the marvellous results allegedly reported, aren't just the imagination of the receiver combined with what they already know about or suspect? Our dear departed Derek Acorah used to know all sorts of things in advance and I do rather suspect it influenced what he came out with on 'Most Haunted' :) He might sometimes have been doing that to make better tv. But even to be very charitable to the man, it would be very hard to visit a famous haunted place, and not bring your previous knowledge and assumptions with you.

I suppose I should watch the programmes. But even then, they are tv aren't they. They're not going to show it not working. They're going to show it producing ooh-inducing results. If they're the sort of programmes I assume they are (the other sort don't get much airtime).

Interesting though.

I was wondering what other people thought about the Estes Method that is seeing some popularity in Ghost Hunting circles. I couldn't find anything searching so thought I would start a thread.

Estes Method

I have seen it used specifically on Spirits of the Stanley and Hellier 1 & 2, and have been quite taken aback by this results; assuming of course that they have not been faked.

Astonishing Legends had an interesting discussion with Connor J Randall, one of the pioneers of the method.

Astonishing Legends Episode 162 - Estes Method with Connor J Randall

I genuinely found it quite fascinating.

Mark ;0)
I've seen it used in Paranormal Lockdown by Nick Groff. Hard to say if it's of any use.

Yeah, I'm of the same idea. Someone makes a mysterious box of electronics that spits out sounds and partial words. They claim that it is spirits. What?

Other spirit boxes I have seen have totally unnecessary lights and gizmos on the outside to make them look "scientific". What drivel.

Still, there are enough ghost hunting groups out there who will buy them because they have seen them on TV. And so the creators will make their money and come up with something new.

I watched some of Hellier and thought it was a load of rubbish to be honest. The Estes thing sounded interesting on Astonishing Legends but actually watching them use it in Hellier made it seem quite ridiculous.

The Estes Method is used extensively in season two of Hellier (again with Connor Randall), which is the first place I encountered it. I found it interesting, and if an inexpensive rig becomes available would consider experimenting with it myself.

What I found interesting is that whilst the team are excited about the results. They are very clear when you hear them interviewed that they aren’t entirely convinced by the results. Hence wanting more people to try the method and help refine it. My concern there is that there are likely too many people out there that will say it works when it doesn’t.

Of course things like Helier and Stanley are meant to be entertainment and they aren’t going to show the failures. And of course they could be complete charlatans and be faking the whole thing. But for some reason I feel I can trust these guys to not be lying about the results they are getting, and that in putting the method out there aren’t trying to monetise it.

I personally don’t think that the method is anything other than suggestion, but would love it to be otherwise.

I’d be very interested to try the experiment myself though if I ever had the time.

Back