• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Everlasting Mystery Of Teaspoons

If you weren't being sardonic ma'am, then that is possibly the greatest compliment I've ever received. :hoff:
Not being sardonic. I totally mean it. But then I do talks on the medieval monastic wool industry so, you know... You'd literally have to be a thousand year old monk or nun to find my talks exciting. I love stuff like this, though.

Not being sardonic. I totally mean it. But then I do talks on the medieval monastic wool industry so, you know... You'd literally have to be a thousand year old monk or nun to find my talks exciting. I love stuff like this, though.
I'm sure there are a few thousand year old monks and nuns floating around... literally.

I inherited from my grandmother, a lot of 'picture spoons' - the ones with 'interesting' handles. I got a load off my mum too, she collected them. And do you know how many I have now?

None. Not one. I used to have one with a windmill handle, a 'Manniquin Pis' spoon, various Canton badges from Switzerland... where the hell did they all go! I mean, my mum's collection was quite extensive and I got nearly all of it when she died. And it's really only just occurred to me that none of those spoons are still with me. But they were quite distinctive, so wouldn't have been thrown out or casually discarded.

So, where the hell are they?

I inherited from my grandmother, a lot of 'picture spoons' - the ones with 'interesting' handles. I got a load off my mum too, she collected them. And do you know how many I have now?

None. Not one. I used to have one with a windmill handle, a 'Manniquin Pis' spoon, various Canton badges from Switzerland... where the hell did they all go! I mean, my mum's collection was quite extensive and I got nearly all of it when she died. And it's really only just occurred to me that none of those spoons are still with me. But they were quite distinctive, so wouldn't have been thrown out or casually discarded.

Perhaps there is a Fort style ocean of them somewhere that poltergeists steal and store there so that they can fling them at someone miles away, years later and they can say; "Where the hell did that come from we don't own any spoons with Canton badges on?"

In another dimension, where people are sick of being bombarded with teaspoons and socks?

No mystery. I collect pens. Not special ones, just ones for writing. I hate it when you are somewhere and you need to fill out a form or something and there are either none, or they don't work
You mean.... it's you, brownmane ? It's you who spirits away all my biros? And all this time I thought you were my friend!

No mystery. I collect pens. Not special ones, just ones for writing. I hate it when you are somewhere and you need to fill out a form or something and there are either none, or they don't work
This is why I always go and visit the travelling reps at work because they give out pens. Other people pinch mine so I need a good supply.

When I was working we had a real problem with disappearing pens and pencils. A great deal of time was wasted wondering around the office looking for them and accusing each other of stealing/hiding them.

When the most senior member of staff retired, the only one with a little room of his own although he choose to work most of the time in the open plan office with the rest of us for some reason, we cleared out his room.

Guess what we found there? Yep you've got it, a very large bag full of all the missing pens and pencils? ha! ha! The old rogue!

I just watched a short video about a lady who searches through the mud/stones/shingle on the banks of the Thames. Amongst the various mainly Victorian artefacts she found was a Victorian silver teaspoon. So perhaps the mystery of vanishing tea spoons spans time.

Last edited:
And biros. Don't forget the Great Biro Wormhole.
You're not wrong. I just found some 1980s' (?) pen caps randomly sitting on a bookshelf upstairs. The sort of pen tops they made before they realised kids were choking on them, so put holes in them? No clue where they came from. Maybe one of the kids found them and left them there but I haven't seen a pen lid like that since before we lived here and we've lived here over 20 years. No pen, just a couple of pen tops.

You're not wrong. I just found some 1980s' (?) pen caps randomly sitting on a bookshelf upstairs. The sort of pen tops they made before they realised kids were choking on them, so put holes in them? No clue where they came from. Maybe one of the kids found them and left them there but I haven't seen a pen lid like that since before we lived here and we've lived here over 20 years. No pen, just a couple of pen tops.
Is one black?
After using a pen last night* I put it down without the top because I couldn't find it. :dunno:

*To sketch something I need to cut out of fabric but couldn't work out how to make the shape. :thought:
Sent the sketch to Escet and he sussed it right away and sent instructions. :bthumbup:

Back