• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Everlasting Mystery Of Teaspoons

Very long time lurker here. Maybe for 15 years, maybe longer, both on the old forum and this newer one. I've never posted because I don't have the time to reply not that anything ever Fortean has happened to me. I really enjoy the reading rather than posting and I feel that over time I've got to know so many posters quite well although, obviously, they don't know of me. Does that make me a silent stalker of types?

The moderation on this forum really is superb. It's refreshing and I take my hat off to the moderators.

Anyway, teaspoons. I live in my two bedroom flat. I am a minimalist of sorts. I have only what's needed and in my home I am private. It's my home, my space, and I am so happy here. I'm not anti social at all in anyway but when it comes to my flat, I have few visitors. Maybe close friends from time to time but no one else.

The kitchen is sparse. A few saucepans, frying pan, etc. Usual stuff but no gizmos. Kettle yes, coffee maker, blender, etc, no. Two plates, two mugs, two of this and two of that and so on. And.... two tea spoons. I only ever use one of course as there's only me most of the time. I've had those two teaspoons for years.

Last Friday I got up for work, showered and all that and then made myself a cup of tea to relax before starting the day proper. Tea bag in cup, kettle boiled, water in mug, milk added and I went to take the tea spoon that is used everyday off the draining board and no teaspoon. I thought it odd and also thought of this thread and decided, no, I cannot be the victim of the bewildering teaspoon fairy. That evening after work I looked everywhere for that teaspoon and nope, it had gone but where to? There's no places it could fall down behind either. I have few possessions, almost empty cupboards in the kitchen, almost no furniture and I hadn't used the washing machine and all socks were present and correct. I even checked the rubbish bin and still no teaspoon.

Tonight I get home from work about an hour ago and make myself hot milk with turmeric and ginger. Yummy. I go to take the other spoon off the drainer to stir it all up and no teaspoon. I used a dessert spoon instead. This thread then sprang to mind again and I thought noooooooooooooo. I used that teaspoon this morning. I have just spent 30 minutes trying to find that spoon and no, it's gone but where?

I am now teaspoonless. It feels odd. There is no rational explanation.

Last edited:
Very long time lurker here. Maybe for 15 years, maybe longer, both on the old forum and this newer one. I've never posted because I don't have the time to reply not that anything ever Fortean has happened to me. I really enjoy the reading rather than posting and I feel that over time I've got to know so many posters quite well although, obviously, they don't know of me. Does that make me a silent stalker of types?

The moderation on this forum really is superb. It's refreshing and I take my hat off to the moderators.

Anyway, teaspoons. I live in my two bedroom flat. I am a minimalist of sorts. I have only what's needed and in my home I am private. It's my home, my space, and I am so happy here. I'm not anti social at all in anyway but when it comes to my flat, I have few visitors. Maybe close friends from time to time but no one else.

The kitchen is sparse. A few saucepans, frying pan, etc. Usual stuff but no gizmos. Kettle yes, coffee maker, blender, etc, no. Two plates, two mugs, two of this and two of that and so on. And.... two tea spoons. I only ever use one of course as there's only me most of the time. I've had those two teaspoons for years.

Last Friday I got up for work, showered and all that and then made myself a cup of tea to relax before starting the day proper. Tea bag in cup, kettle boiled, water in mug, milk added and I went to take the tea spoon that is used everyday off the draining board and no teaspoon. I thought it odd and also thought of this thread and decided, no, I cannot be the victim of the bewildering teaspoon fairy. That evening after work I looked everywhere for that teaspoon and nope, it had gone but where to? There's no places it could fall down behind either. I have few possessions, almost empty cupboards in the kitchen, almost no furniture and I hadn't used the washing machine and all socks were present and correct. I even checked the rubbish bin and still no teaspoon.

Tonight I get home from work about an hour ago and make myself hot milk with turmeric and ginger. Yummy. I go to take the other spoon off the drainer to stir it all up and no teaspoon. I used a dessert spoon instead. This thread then sprang to mind again and I thought noooooooooooooo. I used that teaspoon this morning. I have just spent 30 minutes trying to find that spoon and no, it's gone but where?

I am now teaspoonless. It feels odd. There is no rational explanation.

What a brilliant post kesavaros! For them to disappear in such a tidy space is decidedly weird.
Thankyou for making yourself known in order to share it with us. :) I wonder if they'll ever turn up? Keep us posted and meantime the rest of us will keep an eye out .... after all they could be anywhere!

Sollywos x

Very long time lurker here. Maybe for 15 years, maybe longer, both on the old forum and this newer one...
The kitchen is sparse. A few saucepans, frying pan, etc. Usual stuff but no gizmos. Kettle yes, coffee maker, blender, etc, no.
Welcome. And eek! No coffee maker? That, to me is Fortean enough.

I thought it odd and also thought of this thread and decided, no, I cannot be the victim of the bewildering teaspoon fairy.
See now, that's where you're going wrong. Even THINKING about the Bewildering Teaspoon Fairy is dangerous.

(Incidentally I am safe because we have at least a couple of dozen of every type of cutlery. Dunno where it all comes from. Perhaps we have the Magnanimous Teaspoon Fairy who is bewildering in a different way,)

Welcome. And eek! No coffee maker? That, to me is Fortean enough.

I haven't got one either! I value work surface space over gadgets.

['sides 'Camp' coffee was good enough don't even see why granules needed to be developed. .......... ooops ...... runs to hide ... only kidding ... honest!]

Sollywos x

I don't have a coffee maker either. I didn't know I was expected to...

It's all right, I shall file myself under 'Uncivilised'.

Sometimes too many spoons are as bad as too few, because you don't keep track of them. Until you are down to your last one...

Thanks for the replies. The mystery of my missing teaspoons is solved and it really made me laugh uncontrollably.

This evening at around 10pm when I got in from work there was a jiffy bag that had been delivered during the day by Royal Mail next day delivery. It had no name on it, just my address. When I opened it, inside was my two teaspoons. I was utterly puzzled and I admit I couldn't figure it out. I just stood there looking at the teaspoons thinking what the........?

My next door neighbour had heard me come home and she knocked on my door and worriedly told me that all her teaspoons had vanished over the weekend and today she'd received a jiffy bag through the mail with all her teaspoons inside. She said there was no note or anything else so I told her about my teaspoons vanishing and being sent back to me through the mail and how completely bizarre. I asked her if we should report this to the police. Someone breaks into both our flats without damaging the locks or anything and steals just teaspoons and then posts them back to us. Would the police believe us or think us both bonkers?

Then I saw her worried face sort of twitch a few times, then by stages turn into a smile and then she just exploded with laughter about the look on my face when she said her teaspoons had vanished. I ended up with tears rolling down my face. My stomach still hurts from the laughing.

A few months back she was in my flat and I was reading out some of the postings from this thread as the whole thing about vanishing teaspoons and socks is hysterical. We both have keys to each others flats. She waited all this time and last Friday while I was at work she let herself in and stole a teaspoon and then again yesterday morning she stole the other one ran down the post office and posted the teaspoons back to me.

I've had many pranks played on me during my life but that was the best of the lot.

Thanks for the replies. The mystery of my missing teaspoons is solved and it really made me laugh uncontrollably.

I've had many pranks played on me during my life but that was the best of the lot.

Brilliant!!!!!

I needed that laugh, a bit of light relief in these troubled times. I logged on just now thinking I needed to calm down before going to bed, after reading some posts on face book that had got me well riled up. Your neighbour is a star thank her from me!

I hope you'll stick around now that you've joined. :)

Sollywos x

This evening at around 10pm when I got in from work there was a jiffy bag that had been delivered during the day by Royal Mail next day delivery. It had no name on it, just my address. When I opened it, inside was my two teaspoons. I was utterly puzzled and I admit I couldn't figure it out. I just stood there looking at the teaspoons thinking what the........?

My next door neighbour had heard me come home and she knocked on my door and worriedly told me that all her teaspoons had vanished over the weekend and today she'd received a jiffy bag through the mail with all her teaspoons inside. She said there was no note or anything else so I told her about my teaspoons vanishing and being sent back to me through the mail and how completely bizarre. I asked her if we should report this to the police. Someone breaks into both our flats without damaging the locks or anything and steals just teaspoons and then posts them back to us. Would the police believe us or think us both bonkers?

Then I saw her worried face sort of twitch a few times, then by stages turn into a smile and then she just exploded with laughter about the look on my face when she said her teaspoons had vanished. I ended up with tears rolling down my face. My stomach still hurts from the laughing.

A few months back she was in my flat and I was reading out some of the postings from this thread as the whole thing about vanishing teaspoons and socks is hysterical. We both have keys to each others flats. She waited all this time and last Friday while I was at work she let herself in and stole a teaspoon and then again yesterday morning she stole the other one ran down the post office and posted the teaspoons back to me.

Your neighbour is a hoot! :chuckle:

Love it !

See now, that's where you're going wrong. Even THINKING about the Bewildering Teaspoon Fairy is dangerous.

(Incidentally I am safe because we have at least a couple of dozen of every type of cutlery. Dunno where it all comes from. Perhaps we have the Magnanimous Teaspoon Fairy who is bewildering in a different way,)
I take the view that you get the number of teaspoons you deserve in this life.

Having started this thread to complain about the lack of teaspoons, I now seem to be cursed with a superfluity. I'm not sure if I've gained some or whether, in a mad over reaction to the constant state of loss, I overbought, but the buggers are everywhere now. They may be breeding in their mug on the top of the microwave. Maybe the microwaves have caused some kind of mutation, and they are, even now, breeding an army to overthrow their human masters.

Anyway. Maybe I should retitle the thread 'The Mystery of Everlasting Teaspoons.'

Having started this thread to complain about the lack of teaspoons, I now seem to be cursed with a superfluity. I'm not sure if I've gained some or whether, in a mad over reaction to the constant state of loss, I overbought, but the buggers are everywhere now. They may be breeding in their mug on the top of the microwave. Maybe the microwaves have caused some kind of mutation, and they are, even now, breeding an army to overthrow their human masters.

Anyway. Maybe I should retitle the thread 'The Mystery of Everlasting Teaspoons.'

You could try that '70s fad of dangling spoons from the end of your nose.

We spent hours developing that skill. Those winter evenings just FLEW by.

You could try that '70s fad of dangling spoons from the end of your nose.

We spent hours developing that skill. Those winter evenings just FLEW by.
You've not seen my nose. It's...err....not built for dangling, put it that way. Start with 'Roman' and come round by way of 'Bald Eagle' with a touch of 'Hatchet', and that's my nose.

Since lockdown started, we have had five teaspoons in the house. Always five, never more, never less.

This must be a record for us, which means I must conclude that they disappear/appear when we're out.

You've not seen my nose. It's...err....not built for dangling, put it that way. Start with 'Roman' and come round by way of 'Bald Eagle' with a touch of 'Hatchet', and that's my nose.

Noses run in my family! :chuckle:

Superglue is your friend here.

Anyways.

I appear to have a teaspoon surplus. I like to usually use my (what I call) 'big teaspoons'. They're not particularly big but they are all the same design and slightly larger than the (what I call) 'small teaspoons'. The 'big teaspoons' provide a better quantity of coffee than the 'small teaspoons'.
Generally I only ever use the 'small teaspoons' for other culinary purposes.
As such the 'big' and 'small' varieties are allotted separate homes in the cutlery draw.

And then there's regular 'spoons', which all live together in one section of the aforementioned place.
Which is really rather annoying because I have probably 3 or 4 slightly different sizes of 'spoon'.
For most purposes I like to use the 'big spoon' which makes up the major percentage of the quantity, but obviously whenever I reach in to get one out, it's always one of the other, unwanted, spoons.

The knives and forks generally behave themselves.
And don't even get me started on the 'everything else' cutlery draw.

And don't even get me started on the 'everything else' cutlery draw.

For child entertaining purposes, I kept the smallest bottom drawer in the kitchen full of plastic chopsticks and old bits and bobs that they could play with whilst I was cooking. Now that they are older, it's where the ice-cream scoop and pizza cutters live.

This is practically post necromancy on my part (and potentially a derail since it's been so long) but on the first page or so, pseudo-papers are mentioned
If you've never read Strawberry Pop-tart blow torches I highly recommend it. :D
Irresistible first line:
"Abstract
Strawberry Pop Tarts may be a cheap and inexpensive source of incendiary devices." And it gets even better from there!

I imagine that teaspoons in a microwave oven would also work as incendiary devices. Your surplus teaspoons, Catseye and Trevp666, might lend themselves to such experimentation. Go for it—the quest for knowledge benefits all of humanity!

Irresistible first line:
"Abstract
Strawberry Pop Tarts may be a cheap and inexpensive source of incendiary devices." And it gets even better from there!

I imagine that teaspoons in a microwave oven would also work as incendiary devices. Your surplus teaspoons, Catseye and Trevp666, might lend themselves to such experimentation. Go for it—the quest for knowledge benefits all of humanity!
I have destroyed enough microwaves through the inopportune introduction of metalic objects. There is a truly heroic amount of arcing and then the thing stops working.

But the spoon remains intact.

I have destroyed enough microwaves through the inopportune introduction of metalic objects. There is a truly heroic amount of arcing and then the thing stops working.

But the spoon remains intact.
I destroyed the first microwave I had by putting in a foil takeaway container. I wondered why it arced a bit and then remembered - duh! The turntable still worked, but the emitters were kaput. Thankfully, I'd been given that microwave and it was already old and battered.
I've never made that mistake again. This microwave I'm using now must be about 25 years old, still working fine.

I destroyed the first microwave I had by putting in a foil takeaway container. I wondered why it arced a bit and then remembered - duh! The turntable still worked, but the emitters were kaput. Thankfully, I'd been given that microwave and it was already old and battered.
I've never made that mistake again. This microwave I'm using now must be about 25 years old, still working fine.
Had a broken microwave about to be thrown out. Put a light bulb in and turned the microwave on. Wish I’d videoed it.

Last edited:
Back