• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Everlasting Mystery Of Teaspoons

What I’ve noticed is that at home and at work, normal sized teaspoons are being replaced by mini teaspoons that are much smaller. I don’t know where these things are coming from but the handles don’t even clear the rim of a mug and you have to guess how many of these mini spoons equals a ‘teaspoon’ measure.

What I’ve noticed is that at home and at work, normal sized teaspoons are being replaced by mini teaspoons that are much smaller. I don’t know where these things are coming from but the handles don’t even clear the rim of a mug and you have to guess how many of these mini spoons equals a ‘teaspoon’ measure.

*dons conspiracy hat* probably a subterfuge way of making us eat less sugar.

PS Have you changed your name or are you a Mandela effect?

A couple of years ago I bought (or, to be accurate was bought) a set of teaspoons. Six, basic, ordinary teaspoons to replace the bastards that have crept away over the years. Within moments, I was down to five teaspoons - one thrown out, fell down the back of a cupboard, who knows?
I laboured on with my five teaspoons, until a recent visit from my brother (not a known teaspoon supplier). After he'd left, I found I was back to six teaspoons. And no, he didn't see fit to buy me a spoon, nor did he leave one of his own spoons (I don't even think he does travel with spoons, but who knows?). These spoons match. The missing spoon returns, hooray!

As of today, I have seven teaspoons. I just went to the teaspoon pot, where they live on my window ledge, and another one has arrived. Again, it matches the rest, is clean and unstained, and nobody except me has been in the house for weeks. Either the dogs are secret teaspoon smugglers, or the buggers are breeding.

I think some sort of tagging system (I would paint different coloured smiley-faces on the backs of each one) is in order, so you can track them. Then if one day you have one which doesn't have a smiley face... :nods:

That reminds me of a place where I was being interviewed for a job. We went in the kitchen for a drink and on the counter was a big lump of green foam (used for flower arranging). Thrust into it was a forest of spoons, all in a filthy state. I didn't get the job, thankfully.
One place I once worked had a cutlery drawer packed with cutlery, but only ONE soup spoon. Two people engaged in spoon wars over this whenever both of them had soup for lunch.

I found the idea of one soup spoon at work being used by two people inexplicably repellent, so I bought a stack of cheap soup spoons and put them in the drawer without announcing my actions. The appearance of these spoons was never mentioned...

(as a side note, I have ALWAYS taken my own cutlery into work to eat my lunch, and always had my own cup that I never left in the kitchen. I did not wish to share such intimate objects with work colleagues)

Are you on about coffee spoons? They are smaller than teaspoons and much more sophisticated.

I bought a stack of cheap soup spoons and put them in the drawer without announcing my actions. The appearance of these spoons was never mentioned...

We had a shortage of sharp knives at work until I invested in a set of cheap steak knives from the Pound Shop. 6 for a pound, about as good as you'd expect. I'm glad nobody knows where they came from!

Our crockery cupboard door has a 'CUPS' sticker which I found somewhere and stuck on there for a laugh. Not a single person has ever mentioned it. Maybe they think it's always been there.

We had a shortage of sharp knives at work until I invested in a set of cheap steak knives from the Pound Shop. 6 for a pound, about as good as you'd expect. I'm glad nobody knows where they came from!

Our crockery cupboard door has a 'CUPS' sticker which I found somewhere and stuck on there for a laugh. Not a single person has ever mentioned it. Maybe they think it's always been there.
Or maybe, they always meant to mention it, but it's one of thoughts that disappear the moment your attention moves into something else, like I only ever remember to sign up for another co-op card when I'm at the til in the co-op. Or when I'm writing in this forum.

Had I been a user of that kitchen I'd have at least planned to put a post-it note with "cutlery" on it on the cupboard the cups were kept in.

The Mrs found a very old looking teaspoon on the beach a few years back, I noticed it had markings on it when we got it home and it turned out to be from some time between 1880 and 1900 (she told me off for cleaning it so I could read the stamp on it). It's on our back garden fence at the moment.

*dons conspiracy hat* probably a subterfuge way of making us eat less sugar.

PS Have you changed your name or are you a Mandela effect?

I have changed my name. Although ‘Mandela Effect’ is good name too.

As for coffee sophistication, these days I’m too impatient even for instant coffee. I can’t even wait for the kettle to achieve a full boil.

I just didn't want to stir up any trouble .. I think one of the most ridiculous jobsworth stories like this I heard was the supermarket checkout staff member who refused to serve a bloke in his 70's alcohol because the bloke didn't have any ID on him proving he was over the age of 18 (this was about 20 years ago) .. and I remember once pulling into a garage in King's Bromley to refuel when I was 17 and then trying to buy a pack of cigarettes to be asked "Are you 16?" .. I just looked at him and said "You have to be 17 to drive?!" .. he mumbled oh yeah or something similar and then sold me the smokes. There's some idiots about.
that first story sounds like an urban myth, always interested in ostension so do you have a source?

I was out metal detecting with my mate Dave and he kept finding old spoons. For reasons best known to himself he became very angry about this and when we stopped for a coffee break, stomped over to the rest of us in a real rage.
He started accusing us of deliberately hiding spoons in the field so that he would find them. We had to point out to him that we’d never been in the field before and it was him who chose the field.
He still insisted that we must have “slipped them in when he wasn’t looking” or that we knew where he would be and hid the spoons.
I told him it was obvious they had been buried for a long time and was he suggesting we got a time machine, went back 100 years and buried the spoons so he could find them.
He went very quiet, looked around and said: “Stranger things have happened.”

I was out metal detecting with my mate Dave and he kept finding old spoons. For reasons best known to himself he became very angry about this and when we stopped for a coffee break, stomped over to the rest of us in a real rage.
He started accusing us of deliberately hiding spoons in the field so that he would find them. We had to point out to him that we’d never been in the field before and it was him who chose the field.
He still insisted that we must have “slipped them in when he wasn’t looking” or that we knew where he would be and hid the spoons.
I told him it was obvious they had been buried for a long time and was he suggesting we got a time machine, went back 100 years and buried the spoons so he could find them.
He went very quiet, looked around and said: “Stranger things have happened.”
Your mate Dave is a constant source of amusement.

Pretty much, my kitchen is tiny and stressful to cook in.

What you need, is an upgrade.

1542703583215.png

A couple of years ago I bought (or, to be accurate was bought) a set of teaspoons. Six, basic, ordinary teaspoons to replace the bastards that have crept away over the years. Within moments, I was down to five teaspoons - one thrown out, fell down the back of a cupboard, who knows?
I laboured on with my five teaspoons, until a recent visit from my brother (not a known teaspoon supplier). After he'd left, I found I was back to six teaspoons. And no, he didn't see fit to buy me a spoon, nor did he leave one of his own spoons (I don't even think he does travel with spoons, but who knows?). These spoons match. The missing spoon returns, hooray!

As of today, I have seven teaspoons. I just went to the teaspoon pot, where they live on my window ledge, and another one has arrived. Again, it matches the rest, is clean and unstained, and nobody except me has been in the house for weeks. Either the dogs are secret teaspoon smugglers, or the buggers are breeding.

Are all the spoons the same "design/from the same set" as it were?

edit - I mean do the mysterious "new" ones match the others?

Last edited:
Back