• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Everlasting Mystery Of Teaspoons

As the tea spoons dissapear do other cuttlery appear? if so I have a theory, that teaspoons are the juvenile form of the rest of the cuttlery....

Wm.
I think you may be on to something, whilst we are 7 spoons down we have gained two mystery spoons- not quite dessert spoon but too big for teaspoons. Slightly melted plastic handles so they look a bit wonky. perhaps they are not yet fully formed dessert spoons?

A hairdresser I used to go to lived in a shared house where the forks would disappear. Nothing else, just forks. The housemates used to accuse each other of playing silly tricks until it happened when everyone was definitely put for the day.

(As I remember the house was near another heavily haunted one where, residents and visitors say, footsteps are heard walking along the wooden floors which are actually carpeted.)

A couple of years ago I bought (or, to be accurate was bought) a set of teaspoons. Six, basic, ordinary teaspoons to replace the bastards that have crept away over the years. Within moments, I was down to five teaspoons - one thrown out, fell down the back of a cupboard, who knows?
I laboured on with my five teaspoons, until a recent visit from my brother (not a known teaspoon supplier). After he'd left, I found I was back to six teaspoons. And no, he didn't see fit to buy me a spoon, nor did he leave one of his own spoons (I don't even think he does travel with spoons, but who knows?). These spoons match. The missing spoon returns, hooray!

As of today, I have seven teaspoons. I just went to the teaspoon pot, where they live on my window ledge, and another one has arrived. Again, it matches the rest, is clean and unstained, and nobody except me has been in the house for weeks. Either the dogs are secret teaspoon smugglers, or the buggers are breeding.

Over many years I have become convinced that deep in their DNA, in their genome so to speak, both socks and tea spoons are inter-related at the quantum level.

It is a well known fact that if you put several pairs of socks in a confined space like a washing machine or a sock drawer for a period of time then one of the socks will vanish. I have a theory that your new teaspoons were in fact socks in a previous life and the vanishing socks are simply shape shifted in a separate quantum universe into tea spoons at which point they re-appear in this timeline but only when you are not looking.

To reference the reality of this concept you may be interested in researching the double slit experiment, here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment which proves that by simply observing something you can change its fundamental properties. This is why you will never actually see the tea spoons re-appear when you are looking as by looking you have changed the tea spoon's quantum reality into something else that is not capable of appearing until you cease looking.

The next time your teaspoon count changes I would immediately go and count your socks where I suspect you will find an opposing discrepancy in the sock drawer.

I once read a story about a single Roman chain mail sock that was found in a field and the article didn't mention tea spoons once which I took as proof of my hypothesis allowing me to promote it to "theory" status.

Whatever you do though don't put any tea spoons in your sock drawer as it has the potential to cause an imbalance in the fabric of the space/time continuum leaving you with an infinite number of tea spoons and no socks.

Last edited:
Whatever you do though don't put any tea spoons in your sock drawer as it has the potential to cause an imbalance in the fabric of the space/time continuum leaving you with an infinite number of tea spoons and no socks.

Now that you've told us not to do it, I'll have to do it now.

Primarily, to see if any Roman chain mail socks appear. Failing that, imbalances in the space/time continuum sound pretty nifty.

Question : Will regular observation disrupt the experiment? Will a Schrodinger's Spoon situation arise?

I have had the experience several times of putting my laundry into an empty washer or dryer at the laundromat and discovering a previously unknown sock when the load is done. If I took this home would I have a chance at replacing my lost teaspoon?

By the way, American comedian Rich Hall referred to missing socks as disappearing into the hozone.

It is a well known fact that if you put several pairs of socks in a confined space like a washing machine or a sock drawer for a period of time then one of the socks will vanish.

A few years ago I decided to solve the laundry/sock problem by putting all socks into mesh bags before washing them, being sure to pair them up first. It mainly works but I still manage to mislay some.

I keep a bag for odd socks which always has a couple of defiant occupants. Baffles me.

I will set up a controlled experiment with marked teaspoon in sock drawer tonight.

Be careful and make sure you notify CERN in Switzerland before your experiment just to make sure they don't have the Hadron Collider in operation at the same time to reduce the risk of spontaneous black holes.

I am planning to go to a rock concert next Monday and I would hate for everything to cease to exist as I have "VIP" tickets.

I found a photo of the sock dimension where the socks disappear.

4B838D4000000578-5653371-image-a-94_1524604248692.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/...00000578-5653371-image-a-94_1524604248692.jpg

Did you know that one of our honorary associates is a former CERN physicist?

No I didn't and given the band I am going to see on Monday do a great version of a song called "time" and this thread is about teaspoons, socks and alternative dimensions then it is only polite I share it with you all ...

Wow, that sounded almost studio-perfect.

I found a photo of the sock dimension where the socks disappear.

4B838D4000000578-5653371-image-a-94_1524604248692.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/...00000578-5653371-image-a-94_1524604248692.jpg
Whne my first washing machine died due to 'some noises' a similar exercise revealed: 4 pairs scissors, surgical, bent. Seven pins, safety, twisted. Assorted loose change, hospital vending machine for the use off, included several old style 50p coins bent out of shape. Bits of pens, sundry and wooden spatulas, deceased. Mrs. Coal SEN found something vital to do in the other room...no socks tho'

I forgot to inform you of one regular habitat of errant spoons: any compost bin/heap. They migrate there readily, seeking to commune with the discarded tea bags of yesteryear.

I find at least one every time I delve into a well-matured compost pile.

I feel as though I have the opposite problem- I have too many spoons and I'm not entirely sure where they came from.

This spoon surplus seems to extend to a packet of plastic spoons I bought for taking to work a few months ago- I take at least one a day but the amount of spoons remaining doesn't seem to be going down.

"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons . . . " The Love Song of Alfred J. Prufrock, by T. S. Eliot

I had thought that Eliot's American background made him choose coffee, rather than tea, as the measure of life's social futilities. I have never heard anyone else mention coffee-spoons as a thing. Yet they are! Defined here as smaller than teaspoons and suitable for small after-dinner coffee-cups.

Perhaps I have harboured them all along and called them my set of small teaspoons.

My mustard-spoons are tiny and never used. I suppose Eliot could have said mustard-spoons, but that pungent tracklement lacks the quotidian habituality of coffee. :btime:

"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons . . . " The Love Song of Alfred J. Prufrock, by T. S. Eliot

I had thought that Eliot's American background made him choose coffee, rather than tea, as the measure of life's social futilities. I have never heard anyone else mention coffee-spoons as a thing. Yet they are! Defined here as smaller than teaspoons and suitable for small after-dinner coffee-cups.

Perhaps I have harboured them all along and called them my set of small teaspoons.

My mustard-spoons are tiny and never used. I suppose Eliot could have said mustard-spoons, but that pungent tracklement lacks the quotidian habituality of coffee. :btime:

They could also be egg spoons - the right size for eating boiled eggs for breakfast. Our family had some when we were children, I guess they might have been re-named coffee spoons. Queen Victoria apparently ate hers from from an egg cup made of gold, with a gold egg spoon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_spoon

The new teaspoons at work are so shoddy you can bend them if you stir your tea too vigourously. The sort of things you'd expect if you got a set at poundstore. Uri Geller could have a field day with 'em.
Maybe he did. ;)

Just over a year ago I read that Uri Geller had the reputation of answering every email he received through his website. On a quiet day at work I decided to test this out and wrote him a short but polite note mentioning I had recently seen him on t.v and asking if he was well. Within an hour I received a response asking me about the program I'd seen him on, asking where I lived and wishing me much ''light & love''.
We spent the next 30 minutes or so emailing back and forth. Uri was, he said, on his exercise bike during this time, and then I had to do some real work.
At this point, my son who was working with me that day asked if I wanted a coffee. He went to the kitchen to make one for each of us and came down with a look of disbelief on his face as two of the three teaspoons we used (and on a daily basis too) had bent almost 90 degrees.
We took a picture and immediately emailed it to Uri. He responded within a few minutes finding it hilarious and blaming it on the energies being exchanged during our brief chats.
Regardless of your opinion of him, he was very friendly to me, an Internet stranger, and was more than happy to spend a few moments of his day making mine a little brighter. As to the bending of the spoons, we have no explanation. Since that day, one has now vanished.
As for Uri, I understand he's presently a judge on 'Israel's Got Talent' and soon to open the Uri Gellar museum in Old Jaffa, Tel Aviv.

Last edited:
They could also be egg spoons
Possibly, though at home we had a set of Apostle Spoons for that purpose. They were narrower and thinner, tending to the beak-like, in order to scoop through the white of a boiled egg. My small teaspoons are not just broader but thicker with no talent for cutting.

Though Apostle Spoons go way back and come in all sizes, my parents' set of egg-spoons was nothing ancestral, having been a wedding-present from the early 1950s! :bish:

I wish I had your luck. I have had similar experiences with losing pens - my record is 20 minutes from purchase to parallel universe. So far, none have ever come back much less procreated in my desk drawer. :)

I'm the same with socks---no matter how many pairs of socks I put in my spin dryer ,there is always a sock missing when I take the washing out at the end of the cycle

Last edited:
Back