• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Everlasting Mystery Of Teaspoons

As regards disappearing knickers, a friend of mine got a new puppy that was always 'nicking' hers. We could sort of understand why it might snoop out the ones in the dirty linen bin but getting the clean ones out of the basket? I can't remember whether it was a dog or a bitch which may or may not be relevant lol!

Sollywos x

Kenny Everett had a chihuahua called Knickers because it used to steal pants.

Last edited:
My mothers cat used to bring home random bits of clothing- usually socks, but the odd knickers occasionally. I think size was an issue as he was quite small and ladies around there tended towards more robust underwear.

May be Trish is being targeted by a crack squad of domestic animals?

I moved into a new home in February. I live alone. I had one grapefruit spoon because, well, I like to have grapefruit in the morning. The spoon is now missing. It is not at the bottom of the dishwasher. The dining table is six feet from the entrance to the kitchen. I will note and report where the spoon ultimately appears. If it's in the sock drawer, I'm leaving.

If you find it in the sock drawer, please, before you leave, check to see if a sock is in the spoon drawer and let us know either way.
Thanks in advance! :bthumbup:

If you find it in the sock drawer, please, before you leave, check to see if a sock is in the spoon drawer and let us know either way.
Thanks in advance! :bthumbup:

Took apart the kitchen and found the spoon wedged on the bottom of the stand-up wire thing where the cutlery lives. I had to use pliers to get it out and it's permanently bent. This spoon was fleeing.

We went to stay with a friend, and dad took to worrying why the drawer wouldnt slide smoothly.

So he pulled it out, (in a fit of compulsive DIY, hard to stop him from this) and found a load of clothes stuck behind it.

She is glad to have her jacket back, and various sundries, and was wondering where it was

Is this a problem that could be averted by her getting a second piece of furniture to put her clothes in, or would she simply buy enough new clothes to overfill that too? I'm always curious about the root causes of these misadventures. I've had so many myself.

Warner Street had a set of steps up to the viaduct level of Rosebery Avenue, just down from Saddlers Wells. Around the light were many spoons nailed to the tiles. It was far enough from the ground to require a long ladder. The only information I ever found was that it was probably an allusion to drug abuse, which does not sound convincing.

What an interesting hobby! I wonder where the person who did that got all the spoons? And the energy . . .

an allusion to drug abuse?

To stick one's spoon on the wall = To take up residence.

An old phrase that was new to me.

A follow-up post on the same site expands on the meaning:

"Sometimes it means took up his long home, or died. In primitive times a leather strap was very often nailed to the wall, somewhere near the fireplace, and in this strap were stuck such things as scissors, spoons for daily use, pen-case, and so on. In Barclay's Ship of Fools is a picture of a man stirring a pot on the fire, and on the wall is a strap with two spoons stuck into it."

It may have nothing to do with the spoons on the tiles. Can't find anyone else who has noticed them. :dunno:

"Sometimes it means took up his long home, or died. In primitive times a leather strap was very often nailed to the wall, somewhere near the fireplace, and in this strap were stuck such things as scissors, spoons for daily use, pen-case, and so on. In Barclay's Ship of Fools is a picture of a man stirring a pot on the fire, and on the wall is a strap with two spoons stuck into it."

It may have nothing to do with the spoons on the tiles. Can't find anyone else who has noticed them. :dunno:

Ah that solves a life long mystery. Mum used to have a strap adjacent to the fireplace with some mementos attached . I always thought it was a bit bizarre ,as everything a parent does, is, according to kids. Clearly a throw back to previous generations?

Just a random thought but all these missing spoons has got me thinking and I have concluded that there must be an All Seeing Spoon deity hosting Hunger Games type challenges whereby, all lesser spoons (teaspoons and the like) have to free themselves from domestic enslavement in order to ascend to their ultimate paradise (I'm picturing rolling fields with thousands of spoons frolicking and gamboling). Extra points are awarded if their human slave masters are left truly flummoxed about their disappearance!.

Just a random thought but all these missing spoons has got me thinking and I have concluded that there must be an All Seeing Spoon deity hosting Hunger Games type challenges whereby, all lesser spoons (teaspoons and the like) have to free themselves from domestic enslavement in order to ascend to their ultimate paradise (I'm picturing rolling fields with thousands of spoons frolicking and gamboling). Extra points are awarded if their human slave masters are left truly flummoxed about their disappearance!.

Or gladiator-type games, like in A.I. only with spoons?

I'm seeing those Welsh carved love-spoons.

Back