• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Future Of The Fortean Times Magazine

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Don't panic! I don't have any inside news or bad rumours to spread.

However, in the past fortnight I have learned that two magazines I have been buying for over 20 years have either closed down or will be closing down after the next edition.

The magazine I worked for in my previous job was another I had been a long-time buyer of and it too is now in the great library in the sky. With the growth of eBooks and the internet in general the printed word is in real threat and with dwindling numbers reported for a lot of magazines I just thought I'd mention the unmentionable...

I would hope that there is a large enough circulation and enough willing advertisers to keep the FT head above water, but, of the magazines I buy regularly, I think FT is probably now the next one in line that I'd expect to read the dreaded 'With heavy heart we regret to inform you...' Editorial.

:(

Any positive counterbalance to my bleak view to be had out there?

McAvennie_ said:

However, in the past fortnight I have learned that two magazines I have been buying for over 20 years have either closed down or will be closing down after the next edition.

The magazine I worked for in my previous job was another I had been a long-time buyer of and it too is now in the great library in the sky. With the growth of eBooks and the internet in general the printed word is in real threat and with dwindling numbers reported for a lot of magazines I just thought I'd mention the unmentionable...

I would hope that there is a large enough circulation and enough willing advertisers to keep the FT head above water, but, of the magazines I buy regularly, I think FT is probably now the next one in line that I'd expect to read the dreaded 'With heavy heart we regret to inform you...' Editorial.

They seem to have plenty of advertisements anyway.

I hope all is well. I've sent in clippings since 1994.

I am sure if FT came under threat that the loyal readers would rally around to save it! I for one would be happy to pay a little more each month if I had to, to keep getting my monthly dose!

I have read the mag since encounters.uri geller's encounters went tits up, so i would be sad to see this mag go under, if it came to it i would gladly pay a fiver a copy.

Don't panic! Don't panic!

While no print titles could be said to be safe in today's climate, FT is doing OK at present and the publishers have made no sign that they are planning to close us down in the foreseeable future.

Obviously, we all have to hope for the best in the longer term. The best way to help ensure the mag's survival is to pester all your friends and relatives into buying it!

D

Dr_David_Sutton said:

While no print titles could be said to be safe in today's climate, FT is doing OK at present and the publishers have made no sign that they are planning to close us down in the foreseeable future.

Obviously, we all have to hope for the best in the longer term. The best way to help ensure the mag's survival is to pester all your friends and relatives into buying it!

D

Good news! :D

Dr_David_Sutton said:

D

Long Live Fortean Times!

Nine years after this thread was started, and FT is still with us, all thanks to our prayers to Mothman!

Nine years after this thread was started, and FT is still with us, all thanks to our prayers to Mothman!
Got to say I miss the the days back in 2010-ish when I could stroll down to WHS at the start of the month and pick up FT, UFO Matrix and Phenomenon magazines and spend the weekend delving into all manner of articles, many of which were written by forum members. Grateful we still have FT

Not sure if it is the same everywhere but in my area WH Smith seem to be reducing the magazine space quite regularly and I was surprised to find, on my last visit to Hemel Hempstead, that they had closed their branch there.

Got to say I miss the the days back in 2010-ish when I could stroll down to WHS at the start of the month and pick up FT, UFO Matrix and Phenomenon magazines and spend the weekend delving into all manner of articles, many of which were written by forum members. Grateful we still have FT
No to mention your other reading material...

David-Glasper2.jpg
by-David-Glasper.jpg
BaPEFISCcAIOc3p.jpg-large.jpeg
lurzer_covers_cock_handler_coy_web1_998.jpg
iu-15.jpeg

Not sure if it is the same everywhere but in my area WH Smith seem to be reducing the magazine space quite regularly and I was surprised to find, on my last visit to Hemel Hempstead, that they had closed their branch there.
Wh Smith in Montrose no longer seems to stock it. (always got my copy there for the last 25 years)

Back