The Games & Activities You Might Like To Try Thread

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
This is a good time to learn to knit or crochet. There are excellent youtube tutorials.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
(Cant Knit or Crochet)

Thats a great idea but Im trying to stick to ideas involving things that may be found around the house.

So, I probably will stay clear of marbles as not everyone posesses any. There are plenty of different marble games though.

(But of course, you can make your own from ball bearings, dried clay or fimo...)

Same for dice or cards.

Chess or draught sets can be made with little difficulty though. As can many traditional games such as backgammon, Nine mens morris or Halma.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Ever play Spoto? When out in the car/on the bus, and you see either a yellow car or cement truck, say Spoto! If you see a yellow cement truck, that's double Spoto!

Frideswide

Staff member
When one whittles, does one just whittle or is there an end result?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
When one whittles, does one just whittle or is there an end result?
It works for passing the time either way ...

Especially if you're a novice it's best to avoid declaring what you're trying to create, so as to keep your options open and avoid ridicule or embarrassment. :evillaugh:

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Yes, Whittling is a means and not an end.

Or get a harmless wood (sycamore, beech, ash or hazel are good choices though there are others.) and make a set of skewers for kebabs for a garden BBQ.

Good way to have fun and eke out limited fresh meat

Frideswide

Staff member
For god's sake woman, pull yourself together!
:rollingw:

It's a fun thing to do as Mr Frideswide takes pieces and hides them for a while. Abby and Canmore sit on the table and pat pieces over the edge before wandering off with bits stuck to their bum floof.

The long winter evenings just fly by!

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Its a very useful and accesible database.

some county ones are hard to find and clunky of use.

The Cornish is very helpful.

Wiltshires less so.

Is your cat like that?

Kondoru

Antediluvian
My, Finnish! you have balls of steel!

(Aunty speaks Finnish but then she is one. She came to this country as an Au-pair in the 60s and still hasnt gone back, except for visits. Married to my GB Uncle she has never taken GB citizenship. She still looks around for saunas...)

Fridewide; You can play with your cat all day and call it research?

Ringo

Of no preferred gender pronoun.
We have loads of board games to keep us occupied but the kids have really taken a fancy to Monopoly. Jesus - it takes 4 hours to play. I got Risk as a present two Christmases ago so I may inflict that on them. We've also been doing our Taekwon-Do at home. We also do a spot of Geocaching when we are out and about on our daily exercise walk.

One thing I would love to try (and I don't know why) is Fencing but it'll obviously have to wait.

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
My, Finnish! you have balls of steel!

(Aunty speaks Finnish but then she is one. She came to this country as an Au-pair in the 60s and still hasnt gone back, except for visits. Married to my GB Uncle she has never taken GB citizenship. She still looks around for saunas...)
Aye I think even they find it difficult which is why they don't talk much. :evillaugh: