• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Ghost in My Bedroom

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
I wondered what you might make of this mobile footage, taken last week by a friend.

He's been watching 'paranormal' videos on YouTube showing 'orbs' in people's houses and decided to try an experiment.

I thought it might be a reflection from dust, although even that seems bizarre, given the apparent movement.

I find these particular kinds of anomalies perplexing. Things that appear to change shape as the move through the field of view; this one for instance begins as a spot but then appears to morph, suggesting as it comes closer to the camera it either elongates or we're seeing more of the 'thing' from a sort of foreshortening effect. The change of colour towards the end is interesting too. Less of the green night vision hue and more of a pale orange/yellow as it moves past the screen towards the end of the clip. No idea what it could be however...

I wondered what you might make of this mobile footage, taken last week by a friend.

He's been watching 'paranormal' videos on YouTube showing 'orbs' in people's houses and decided to try an experiment.

I thought it might be a reflection from dust, although even that seems bizarre, given the apparent movement.

I suppose you both also spotted the other two earlier 'floaters' at the four second mark? .. all very interesting!

I think it's an insect.

Mmm... interesting suggestion. Conversely, it would have to an insect flying about a bedroom in the Scottish Borders, mid November and with immaculate timing when called upon...

I'm going there later in the week and be interesting to see if this can be replicated, especially without calling for a 'manifestation'!

Is your friend the joking kind? It just looks like the beam of a torch to me. One where you can adjust the size so it gets bigger or smaller like a Maglite. You can even see it malforming a little as it is played across the walls and door.

Mmm... interesting suggestion. Conversely, it would have to an insect flying about a bedroom in the Scottish Borders, mid November and with immaculate timing when called upon...

There are insects around all through winter. Here's an example -

December Moth.

I had to despatch a Bluebottle that was being annoying only yesterday. (North East England)

Is your friend the joking kind? It just looks like the beam of a torch to me. One where you can adjust the size so it gets bigger or smaller like a Maglite. You can even see it malforming a little as it is played across the walls and door.
My 'friend' is actually my son and I've been following this with, due, 'compelling interest'!

He's been intrigued by the subject for a few weeks now, since watching those YouTube videos.

Min, there's a serious 'dark side' to all of this thought. Just a straightforward guy, now being freaked out last few days with:

- hearing a noise in the kitchen and finding a plate which was on a kitchen top, smashed on the floor

- his central heating being turned on full, when he never does that

- his bedroom door slamming shut behind him, when he just went in there to collect something

- hot water taps seeming to turn on randomly

- a bottle of mayonnaise seemingly jumping out of its secure fridge shelf

That's why I need to spend this weekend at his place!

All due scepticism inherent, likewise, Min...

Yet... he does have that video... ?!

Interesting video. These effects seem fairly common on ghost vids and photos. I too am of the opinion that insects are involved but I'm quite happy to be proved wrong.
My intention this weekend is to take several films at the exact same spot and conditions (bedroom light was on) and then do the same with any 'entity' being similarly invoked.

Never thought I would have the opportunity for such 'hand's on' research!

Incidentally, this isn't the only time something similar has been caught on film in that bedroom (and it is an old house!).

My intention this weekend is to take several films at the exact same spot and conditions (bedroom light was on) and then do the same with any 'entity' being similarly invoked.

Never thought I would have the opportunity for such 'hand's on' research!

Incidentally, this isn't the only time something similar has been caught on film in that bedroom (and it is an old house!).

Will be very interesting to see or hear about the outcome of your visit.

I don't think that one is an insect but I do think it may be lint, a hair or a piece of fluff in the air. These types of anomalies are usually seen in places where there are insects but I don't think this is the case here. But there are carpets, curtains, cushions, jumpers etc. Here in Scandinavia these videos are not as common as the UK because we don't have carpets and not every house has curtains.

You know what it's like, move a cushion on a sunny day and you'll see thousands of those little flying specs. Move it in the dark and you won't see a thing. These tiny particles rise and fall on warm air currents or even from just being disturbed when a foot shifts position on a carpet. Now imagine a larger piece (a cobweb, a hair, lint, maybe a moth, a fruit fly, a spec of cigarette ash) being whipped up in the dark and then caught on IR.

The nature of night vision camera work is to flood the area with IR light so you will never see that object with the naked eye yet it will look bright and glowing on camera, growing stronger and brighter if it nears the camera. It will also shift colour during motion - appearing greener further away and then bright white close up.

When you've been watching Youtube vids as a reference, you're setting yourself up for confirmation bias. What if he believed in fairies? And asked a fairy to show themselves. Would that light have been a fairy?

The reason I think it could be an insect is that I'm out and about at night with a torch as I commute via bike for nightshift. I've seen insects gravitate like that towards my headlight a million times and I wonder if they were attracted to the light on the phone in the same way?

That's true if the video is filmed with a normal light, then it could very well be. But I think it was filmed with a camera and an IR light. Insects cannot see Infrared light (they use UV light although new research says that maybe a minority can) and so should not be attracted to that. I have filmed many insects flying aimlessly around when using IR light and this looks similar although it would have to be quite large (like a moth).

Insects/fluff etc seem to dive into the camera's field of vision because they are only illuminated by the one source of light (on the camera). Outside of that and they will hardly be noticed - as Swifty pointed out there are two more things seen earlier in the footage. Smaller dust particles maybe, all coming from the left hand side and moving to the right and towards the camera. They are fainter but they are there. So there are many objects floating around in the air.

(probably the best one 00:6)

I have no idea about cameras or lighting but looks pretty similar? Can we confirm what sort of night vision was used?

Last edited:
Also I've jut looked at the original OP footage again on my computer rather than tablet. Ringo what makes you thinks it's shot with anything expect a phone with it's light on?

Don't see any sort of IR lighting at all. When I looked on my old tablet it looked like Night vision but my lovely well powered computer - it just appears normal footage.

If it is a just a phone with it's light on then it's probably an insect.

Last edited:
Also I've jut looked at the original OP footage again on my computer rather than tablet. Ringo what makes you thinks it's shot with anything expect a phone with it's light on?

Don't see any sort of IR lighting at all. When I looked on my old tablet it looked like Night vision but my lovely well powered computer - it just appears normal footage.

If it is a just a phone with it's light on then it's probably an insect.

Looking at it on my laptop with the brightness adjusted, I agree with you. I can see now that it isn't filmed with IR. My first impression was that it was a camera and an IR light but I can see colours in the film now (which I couldn't before and so presumed it was IR). So, given that, it could be an insect attracted to the light. The only thing going against that is the lack of wing movement/flapping. But you're probably right.

Looking at it on my laptop with the brightness adjusted, I agree with you. I can see now that it isn't filmed with IR. My first impression was that it was a camera and an IR light but I can see colours in the film now (which I couldn't before and so presumed it was IR). So, given that, it could be an insect attracted to the light. The only thing going against that is the lack of wing movement/flapping. But you're probably right.

Same it really didn't show up until I checked on my pc.

The video was taken on a mobile, with the bedroom light off and a light from the mobile.

Much appreciated feedback on this...

Back