• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Ghosts Of King's Lynn & West Norfolk

ghost book.jpeg

I'm glad the cover turned out OK. I had some problem with the non standard font but soon created a simple work around.

You also can't go wrong with black. My last book was supposed to be dark green but when it was printed it came out dark grey.

My last book was supposed to be dark green but when it was printed it came out dark grey.
Was that printed on a laser print-on-demand system? If you gave them a PDF, was it CMYK or RGB colours?
Best results if you output the PDF to CMYK, although they can still get it wrong at the printers.

I assume it was a print on demand system of some kind. The PDF I provided was RGB, the default. This was the first time that the colour had been snarled up.

I assume it was a print on demand system of some kind. The PDF I provided was RGB, the default. This was the first time that the colour had been snarled up.
Try a test with CMYK, because they are probably using a 4 colour laser system (the standard at POD printers now).
The only problem with that is that some pics may become darker (than with RGB), so you could compensate by lightening the darker ones.

I'll start: "Once upon a time there were three ghosts and their names were Elsie, Lacie, and Tillie; and they lived at the bottom of a well..."

I love reading these books. Even if (as in the case of this one) I've never even VISITED the locality.

I'd still like a book about these 'ere regions. York is fully covered, and there's a book of local Folk Tales, but they all seem to feature boggarts, hobs and Sarkless Kitty. There MUST be more recent stuff! The novel I'm working on now has a haunted house at the centre and I'm having to invent my own ghost stories! I mean, that's all kinds of wrong, right there...

I sent a copy to Alan Murdie and he's going to do a write-up in a forthcoming Fortean Times. Some good publicity at last - the local newspapers, radio and TV all practically ignored my press release *angry face*

Attachments

• IMG_20211021_210034_671.jpg
    IMG_20211021_210034_671.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
I love reading these books. Even if (as in the case of this one) I've never even VISITED the locality.

I'd still like a book about these 'ere regions. York is fully covered, and there's a book of local Folk Tales, but they all seem to feature boggarts, hobs and Sarkless Kitty. There MUST be more recent stuff! The novel I'm working on now has a haunted house at the centre and I'm having to invent my own ghost stories! I mean, that's all kinds of wrong, right there...

Even though it's a pernicious platform, the best way I've found to get recent ghost stories is to put an appeal on a local facebook group. That's what I did, and then conducted many on-line interviews via Messenger, email etc.

Have you read the Ghosts of the North Yorkshire Moors one? I noticed it on one of my bookshelves last week.

Have you read the Ghosts of the North Yorkshire Moors one? I noticed it on one of my bookshelves last week.
No! I've just got Folktales of the North York Moors. Lots of hobs and boggarts, but no ghosts. Except for Sarkless Kitty, who gets wheeled out at every opportunity.

A good one is "Ghost stories from the North of England." Unfortunately I lost my copy in a house move though I have fond memories (and as @escargot will vouch, there's an interesting railway ghost I mentioned on a facebook forum recently)

I'm going to be on BBC Radio Norfolk on the 29th at 11.30am. I may also be in the Lynn News too.
Oooh. BBC Radio Norfolk, the home of Treasure Quest on Sunday mornings. I'll definitely listen in if I can.

Happy birthday, @DrPaulLee.

This is the link to Kayleigh Poacher's programme on which Dr Paul appeared.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09xrv28

You'll have to register. I apparently already had. I don't remember when, but Google did.

Another guest talks ghosts from around the 55 minute mark. Dr Paul is on from about 1.42 for about eight minutes, which isn't very long but he got to talk about his app, too. It's available for 27 days and counting.

Good show, Paul!

Back